March 2009 in the garden.

london England, United Kingdom

Any garden pictures welcome here! Flowers, plants and garden features!

Flowerbed in my Mum's garden, Heathers and Hebe.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Terri - Welcome back. Thanks for starting this new thread. Will be back later to post some stuff that I took photos of last week. Nice and sunny weekend here in northern California!!

Hi Dianne, good to see you! Nice you have sunny weather and the garden is coming back to life!
Can't wait to see sunny California!!
I haven't taken any pics in my garden yet. Here's a few from Mums!

crocus

A few daffs starting to open here and there!

Rhubarb!

(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Hiya Terri! Well, we've had so much rain here in the bay area of California, things are popping outta ground and I don't even know what they are! They only thing that is blooming are my johhny jumpups and my honeysuckle bushes. Here's one pic of Honeysuckle bush! Too muddy to get out and weed yet! Yuck ;)

Thumbnail by Sis_E
Humansville, MO

hi all
here i am elle

Hiya Cissy and elle,
Glad you found us! Your Honeysuckle bush is a nice splash of colour there Cissy. Like your frame on the photo, looks great like that. Love this time of year when things pop up and you don't know what they are, it's like getting a little present every day LOL! What are Johhny jumpups?

Johnny Jumpups are the cutest little tiny violas. Such cute faces! A miniature version of viola/pansies. The are tough little guys. They can survive through snow like violas and pansies do. I planted some wayyyyyyyyy last year. They didn't take real well. But after tons of rain, they're baaaackk. I'll take a pic of them soon :)

Oh! I love violas., never heard them called Johnny Jumpups before!!! Thanks Cissy.
It's going to be great seeing everyones gardens this year!

Terri, beautiful Crocus! Last year, my sis gave me some daffodils. They died away, of course, but after this rain, they came back...bloomed...and are fading away already. sheesh, too fast!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Blooming in my gardens now...

cyclamen

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Hyacinth

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been trying to post another pic, but it won't post... I wonder why?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I will try again...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

another hyacinith

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi All - very nice flowers. Finally getting around to pulling my photos off the camera. The Christmas cheer is still going strong and is now my March pre-spring cheer. I love this red hot poker.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 10:07 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

some daffodils - this is a Dolly Mollinger. Can't pick them for an arrangement because the snails love them.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Bradford Pears

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

a yellow daffodil

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey yardqueen - do you have a lot of fruit trees too? Here is my nectarine - I am so glad I sprayed it last week. The blooms all popped open overnight, and then of course, the rains came a few days later. I have as much blossoms on the ground as on the tree.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

forsythia...

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

White anenome

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Soils.. No fruit trees at all here on my place... Not that I wouldn't love them! The bradford pears don't even bear fruit, so they don't count as fruit trees either...

Here is an azalea blooming through the fallen leaves...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

And a redbud blooming behind my greenhouse

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

It does look like spring

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I love it!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, it is wonderful that spring is just around the corner for us lucky ones in zones 8, 9 and higher. I have my daphne on my front porch, and it smells heavenly when I go out to get the morning paper.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

The red cyclamens have been blooming over a month now

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And finally, the quince that was so pathetic at Chinese New Year's starting producing more blooms about two weeks ago. I guess I was too impatient LoL. Still had a lot of leaves hanging on which is not normal.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

close up of the quince

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

another closeup - I think this one with a flash. Amazing the color differences in the photos. This pink is closer to the true color than the reddish hue of the previous shot.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh - almost forgot about the witch hazel (Hamamelis intermedia). This tree is a really slow grower, so I have not cut it at all for arrangements. It is past blooming now, but this is what it looked like two weeks ago. Guess I should have cleaned out the dead growth in the rest of the garden before taking the photo.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a close up that doesn't show the rest of the messy garden as much LoL.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Beautiful pictures, Yard Queen and Soilsandup! Ahh, Sprng is in the air..well, almost!

I have one hyacinth. It is surprising it is blooming at all. Here's the short version story of this pretty plant.

A year and 1/2 ago, I bought a single bulb from a nursery. It came with a glass vase where you put the bulb in the narrow neck of the jar and put it on your windowsill. Well, the bulb never did anything and it started to rot. So, I buried it outside. In short order it started to sprout. I was amazed. Just as it was reaching some good height, a squire came along and literally pulled it out of the ground, breaking the roots. Just for the heck of it, I stuck it back in the hole, figuring it would die for sure.

A little later, it caught on again and came to full bloom! I was amazed again (by now I am running out of "amazed"). Then of course, it died away completely. Well, low and behold, because of the tons of rain we've been having, my one and only hyacinth came back up! I am a m a z e d! Ahhh, the wonder of nature! I highlighted it to show it better.

Thumbnail by Sis_E

Terri, here is picture of my Johnny Jumpups. Picture is a bit fuzzy, so I circled the one that the least fuzzy LOL

Thumbnail by Sis_E

Hi Yardqueen!
Your Hyacinths are fabulous, bet they smell great. The redbud looks so pretty behind your FULL greenhouse, is there room for anything else in there ? LOL! Thank you for a peek into your garden,
I cant wait to see some more!! How are your seedlings doing?

Hi Dianne,
Ohhhhh your quince is full of flowers, so lovely! love the red hot poker, and your vibrant red cyclamen, everythings growing well. It's great to see your garden. Dont worry about any mess, we are all messy this time of year!! Thank you for those pics.

Hi Cissy,
Love your Amaizing!! Hyacinth story, it's a pretty flower! The frames look nice, very creative with the cute Johnny jumpups smiling!!
Glad you like Mums crocus, I'll tell her LOL! I dont have crocus anymore, those naughty squirrels dug them all up!
Thanks everyone, great pics today! Sorry, no pictures from me yet! Keep posting yours!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi again, Terri! 2nd time tonight! I posted some of my seedlings on the wintersowing furum... They are on the thread before the new one they started yesterday or today.

Here is a link... go to Mar 8th... It is just a few... be sure to look at the ones further down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.