What have you wintersowed so far #4

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the last thread was getting really slow ....

I may sow more today. It's a crappy rainy day... so what better than garden in the house.

We came from here -- > http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951943/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jill,

i grew Husker Red from seed 2 yrs ago ... go them from a gal in Northern IL on the GW site.

they have those really pretty deep colored foliage. Second year bloomers - and worth the wait.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread. The old one was taking a loooong time to load. It was 82 yesterday and it is supposed to be in upper 70 today. Night time lows are in 40s and 50s. By Tuesday it is supposed to be below freezing again at night. Gotta love spring LOL. The March winds have definitely moved in. I did not get my columbine winter sowed. Is it too late? I forgot them. If I sow now will they be OK or should I stick them in the fridge? I am in zone 5b.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy -- I would not think so, as Columbine wont bloom til second year anyways.

Last year, mine too forever and a day to germinate ... I finally planted them in Sept.
I'm hoping for the best this year ... meaning - i'd love to see them bloom.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Good point about them not blooming this year anyway. I guess it doesn't matter. I will get them done today. Thanks.

Havelock, Canada

Karen - Thanks for your advice and your nice comments.

I think I will always have Goldens, now that I see just how amazing they are. Otis is doing very well at obedience school too and that is a bonus. We have an old girl (Nimo pronounced Nemo) Alaskan Husky who was 14 in October past. She is still going strong but once she is no longer with us I would love to get another Golden. It would be good for Otis and for us. I like having two dogs.

I am going to finish my seeds very soon. Running out of time although our temps are going to fluctuate quite a bit over the next few months.

I will post that list as soon as I can.

Hugs to all

Elaine and Otis

Kannapolis, NC

Here's part of my WS stash.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

The other part:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Today has been a gift: high 70s all day and just beautiful! Here's my purple leaf plum putting forth blossoms:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here are seedlings: Clockwise, starting top left:
Salvia viridis
Larkspur `Giant Imperial'
Bronze fennel
Myosotis

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Havelock, Canada

Hemophobic - Ah. Does my heart and soul good to see those sprouts. Gives me hope. I am waiting patiently....................tap, tap, tap..............................

I know. I know. The day will come. Oh. I do believe. I do believe. I do believe..........................................................................................................

Elaine (waiting patiently) and Otis

Kannapolis, NC

Elaine: Oh, it will. This is my first time WSing but it certainly won't be my last! This is a wonderful concept. I can't wait to try lots of new (to me) plants next year. Whee!

Angie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone had luck WS'ing grasses?

I;ve got some stalks from one of my neighbors Zebra grass... a HUGE bag full and really have no idea what to do.

I thought of just snipping off pieces and lightly covering them with potting soil.

any thoughts.....
[gonna cross post in the piggy thread in the CG forum]

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Angie, your plum is beautiful! I guess I knew what cherry and apple blossoms looked like, but not plum! Your sprouts are adorable, too. I don't have any action in my containers yet, but it hasn't been that long, and I'm not in a big hurry. My poor 7 yo has decided he doesn't like WSing, though. He's just sure there is something wrong with his container, because it hasn't sprouted in the 5 days since he sowed it. LOL I keep explaining how it works, but I'm not sure he believes me. I guess he has to see it to believe it!

Angie C.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

got 25 nursery pots done tonight....

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Adorable little sprouts and a what a beautiful plum tree!
I w/s 11 containers tonight - Rudbeckias, zinnia, and cosmos. I am now up to 183. I have 3 poppy, 1 Salvia virda, 2 Rudbeckias sprouting. It is still early.

Kannapolis, NC

Angie and Lynn: Thank you for the compliments. The purple leaf plum is just getting all gussied up right now for her big show, but she is gorgeous the rest of summer with her beautiful dark purple leaves, a wonderful addition to our garden.

Angie, tell your son he'll soon have lots of sprouts in those jugs. I'm still amazed that this thing works and works so well. I can't wait for the other jugs to start popping. My campanulas and delphs, though, have not sprouted yet and that concerns me. I would have thought they'd be among the first since they are spring bloomers. I know I'll have no blooms this spring from them, but did think they would have sprouted already. Anyone? I don't think my seed was bad, as some of it was brand new. Also, my flax has not yet sprouted and I've read of others who have flax sproutlets, too. Guess I'll just have to wait this one out.

Angie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Karen - did you have the same setup last year [container pots in clear plastic containers]?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Never winter sowed before, but I am going to do it this year. Can someone help me, after reading the sticky I am unclear what you winter sow. I collected seeds last year from friends on DG and here in the city. I am zone 5. I understood if it will start from seed (self-sow) it would be ok to winter sow, is that correct? What I seem to be confused about is what happens if the sprouts start and the temps drop below freezing, don't my sprouts die? Thank you for your help.

This is what I have.
amaranth elephant head
blanket flower
columbine
conflower
cosmos
foxglove
hollyhock
hyainth bean
gallardia
larkspur
marigold
mexican sunflower
moonflower vine
poppies
rose of sharon
rudebeckia
wallflower
yarrow
zinnia
4oclock
yarrow
pansies

Kannapolis, NC

Most of what you have should be okay with WSing. I have Rudbeckia, Gaillardia, poppies, larkspur and foxgloves. The pansies should do well, as they live here through the winter after being planted in fall. I do not speak from vast experience with WSing, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the results of my own winter sowing.

Thank you for the response, my goal today is to get this all started. Oh I am so excited....yeah....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>and the temps drop below freezing, don't my sprouts die?

any tender annuals may croak if you dip back to freezing or below.
the hardier plants, perennials will be OK.

and if it gets really cold [in `07 we had a cold snap in April and i covered my containers with flannel sheets]
you can always cover them at night.

out of your list... i'd wait a bit on the
marigold,
zinnias,
4-O'clocks
cosmos [i lost some cosmos in that 07 cold snap]

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Happ~ your pansies may not be ready to bloom till later this summer...if that holds true for you as it did for me..just plant them out in a nice filtered AM sunlight location with pm shade. If you keep them deadheaded with a rejuvenenating shear in Sept., you have lovely blooms throughout the Summer and gorgeous blooms for the cooler part of Fall. Hope that's a helpful tidbit.

garden6, I use to live in Lansing, now I am across the river on the Missouri side. Thank you for your response. I have never grown pansies and not sure where the seeds even came from put will attach your note in a plastic bag on the container so I remember.

tcs116, thank you for that information. I lost older plants in the 07 deep freeze here. It was awful. I didn't have hardly any iris blooms. My house faces south with a concrete porch. Think I will put the milk jugs up against the house in a cardboard box like I saw suggestions. Then if we have a cold snap they will be easy to cover. This is just the first part of March so I know we will have colder days ahead.

Thank you all for your knowledge.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I'm a bit jealous on all these sprouts. Nothing to see here. Snow was gone for a few days, but yesterday we got again some snow, temperatures are between 25 and 41.
But there was one thing in my garden in bloom, the Hamamelis

Thumbnail by JonnaSudenius
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Elaine, I have gotten closer (gotten everything ready) but I STILL have only WSd a few things. After March 21 I call it spring sowing and then there's summer sowing and fall sowing.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela, what will you do with y(our) dahlias while you go away? Please don't give them back to me!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Those dahlias will be divided this year to create more dahlias to share with neighbours. I have also received dahlia seeds in trades so I have those starting in the basement. I will have sooooo many dahlias!

Luckily, I have friends and neighbours who will help with the gardens while we are away . . .

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm so happy that those ended up at such a good home! ;o)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

How about Impatients? Should I direct sow these? Do I wait for last frost?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lili, I think you should go ahead and get your impatiens sown. I've occasionally had reseeding from impatiens, so I'm thinking they would do that more readily in your zone. That being the case, I believe wintersowing would work beautifully for them in your zone.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

GA? Absolutely. (Looking out at the snow .....)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

OK. Putting them down TODAY!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is the conversation from the new thread i started that I will have deleted.

nb -- as far as i know, all my cosmos so far have been fresh... I'd have to check my records to see when they germinated.

-_______________________________________________

echinaceamaniac
Brownsville, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2009
11:07 AM

I'm planting tons of Gaillardia, Rudbeckia, and Asclepias this year. Is anyone else going overboard with these?

I dont know if it's over board... but i do think i'll be running out of room. I have quite a bit of seed / different varieties.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

For me overboard is if I find I do not have time or energy to plant everything that comes up. I have the space and the spirit is willing but sometimes the body is weak LOL.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ah... gotcha Kathy.... Yea -- I go overboard.

this year though... i do have other places to put said "extra plants"

i'm going to help my Bro with his yard .... providing he doesnt lose his house in this economic disaster.
and i have some spots in our subdivision i'd like to plant things... so we shall see how that turns out.

and -- yanno, sometimes one just gets tired of planting though at this time of the year, it surely sounds silly.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

NB -- i checked my cosmos 'records'

2007 - cosmos sulphureus. Sown 2-19, germinated 3-11
that year was a warm end of Feb, early March [frigid early Apr]

2008 - cosmos sonata mix. sown 3-7 , germinated 3-27.
only 1 out of 14 seeds germinated.

though -- i do recall i had other B&B wild flower mixes that had to have Cosmos in them because i had a lot of red/rink "TALL" cosmos out in the garden last year. they would have been direct sown.

HTH.

Terese

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Terese and sorry for continuing on the last thread. I had noticed that we moved and that some still posted on the old then I got caught up in the conversation and forgot to post here! I usually keep old threads on my watch list just so I don't miss any latent mover's comments then I became one myself! LOL!

I guess I'll keep watering the cosmos container for a bit until I get everything else planted out then I may just dump it in the bed and water with the rest of the stuff and see what happens!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

which cosmos are they? the sensation mix [which i think is sonata] , or sulphureus [cosmic orange]

Thief River Falls, MN(Zone 3b)

Hey everyone, just thought I would let you all know I am experiencing a darn blizzard right now!! Our temps will be dipping below zero AGAIN!
I read some of you already have warm temps and sprouts! I'm glad for you, but I am envyous! I know school will be cancelled tomorrow, so me and my kids will be WS and I will be able to put my list up here! Happy WS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.