Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: Using old tires for growing Vegetable

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 266
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

March 7, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6233681

I read in the Thrifty fun.com about. I would like to know what everyone things Thank You
How safe is it to use old tires as a raised garden? I have tried for many years in my back yard with no success. I have many old tires and was wondering about that. I know I can do flowers but just wondered about a small garden. Thanks for your help.
another '
Never use tires to plant a veggie or fruit garden! Very toxic and the toxins will enter the plants and then you eat them. Only use for flowers.
Jim in Jax

I have found articles on the internet stating that the tires leach toxins into the ground therefore affecting the crop, making it unsafe to consume. Besides considering the opinions on this site, I would google the topic and see what else you find.
I have seen container gardening done using barrels, maybe this would be a safer option providing the barrels haven't been exposed to toxic chemicals.
Good luck and be safe.

and another
I have seen it done at a garden show in an exhibit for square foot gardening. I have also seen it used for potatoes (in stacked up tractor tires). I have never heard they are not safe, but have heard a lot of warnings against using RR ties.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6233735

I wouldn't plant veggies in tires--there are chemicals in them that could leach into the soil so personally I wouldn't take a chance. No reason you couldn't use them for ornamental plants though if you've got a bunch of old tires around and are looking for something to do with them.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6310298

I was going to use tires but went with food grade plastic barrels you can cut one in to 4 or 5 rings ...
Cheryl
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6312234

Also... I HAVE grown veggies in tires and guess what? I lived in an area where Black Widows were common and they LOVED the inside curve of the tires during the warm summer months. I NEVER DID THAT AGAIN after going out and cking my plants in the dark once. There were multiple "widows" living in multiple tires. That was IT for me! *shuddering*...

Not to mention...it really looked UGLY to have tires kicking around the garden spot...lol

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 6:27 AM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6316808

You could always paint the tires pretty colors they wouldnt look so bad ..
But the Black Widows thats another story .. Did you cut the side walls out of the tires?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6318078

I got a load of food grade 5 gal buckets from the local high school cafeteria, they can even be painted if you clean them up good first. The dill pickle smell goes away out in the sun :D

MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

April 4, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6363406

Thanks every one for the input, I have decided to not use tires also here in WA state I know that we have black widows yuck.

I have a new question and that is I got a new hot water tank and the old one I would like to see if it could be used as a planter with the top cut out of it? I thought I would look nice if I spray painted it and make some legs for it. What do you think?

'
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6381675

I want to do a small amout of potatoes , just to see if I can do it! I don't want to do them in the ground, I don't want to have a bunch of barrels (can't have in my comunity anyhow's)...so I found a farily large laundry bag at the dollar store made of Polypropylene, it's a flexable bag, feels like weaved fabric, but it's not. It has a fairly large and deep pocket in the front, and I am REALLY hoping someone can give me some info because I want to do lil tators in the big part of the bag (it's about 3 ft tall) and maybe some cherry tomatoes hanging out of the pocket up front. I want it to look good because I want to put the bag with these veggies out in my front landscaping bed , so it has to blend in and look good

So if anyone has ANY tips or infor...good or bad.. please, help me
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6381816

Neat idea, can't wait to see how it works.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6381924

me too!! Want to know if anyone knows about that bag material (it is a form of plastic) but want to know if it's food safe to grow in
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6384201

Are you sure that it's polypropylene as you mentioned in your earlier post, or were you just guessing there? If it's PP then it should be fine. Most other plastics should also be OK for growing veggies in as long as you're not re-using a container that had previously been used to store some nasty chemical.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6384535

tag says 100% polypropylene!!! it's very much like a fabric laundry tote bag with a draw string top... tag reads 100% polypropylene!!!

it was folded flat and packed in a plastic bag 12"X9" ((give or take a hair or two))
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6384564

Does it allow water to drain through it? If it's a leak-proof bag then you'll want to consider putting some drainage holes in it.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6385848

Sounds like a great idea...especially the part about cherry toms in the front pocket.

...Mary - now stepping out to check the dollar store down the street. :~)
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6386138

the only thing I'm asking is if anyone knows anything of the polypropylene . . .
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6386194

Do you mean will the polyprop leach into the roots of your veggies? Sorry, dunno. But I'll send a link to this thread to my very knowledgeable organic gardening friend. She outta know.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6386243

If it makes you feel better about it, polypropylene water bottles were suggested as replacements for the polycarbonate bottles that had BPA in them (now they maybe BPA free polycarbonate as well, but polypropylene is still considered fine for drinking out of). I'm sure there are different grades of it and they probably have stricter standards for the grades that are going into water bottles, food containers, etc, but even the lower grades I doubt if it's going to leach enough stuff into your soil to make your veggies dangerous to eat. You might want to wash it thoroughly first--when they take the polypropylene fibers and make them into things like bags, etc they probably use some processing aids which you probably wouldn't want to eat, although I suspect the amounts of those are low enough that you're not going to have significant issues with those getting all the way into your veggies either.
rtl850nomore
Glendale/Parks, AZ

April 9, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6386416

If I had that bag, I would grow potatoes in it.
Mary's friend.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6387159

thank you all... I will give it a good wash/rinse in my recycled bathtub water... *LOL* my neighbors think I'm crazy, but I just open my masterbath window, and use my mop pail...bam...water my flowers... the soap is a natural bug deterant, and the hairs from the bath water is great at killing slugs and snailss So would the soap water be ok for the veggies too????

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6388366

Yep, gray water is fine for veggies too. Your garden looks grand DirtyGirl, just grand. Be sure to post a pic when you get that bag growing stuff.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6388968

Thanks MaryMcP..I'm hoping to get some spuds started this weekend!!!
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6389049

Great! My taters only have straw between the layers. Clean. They are growing like gangbusters - I'll get a picture in the morning when the sun is on them just right. I can't keep the vines covered with straw, they grow so fast. Need lots of water, btw.
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6389191

I'll bet ya go thru a ton of water using just straw... cool idea tho.. do you have the straw and tators in a barrel??bucket?bag??

I want to do just lil finger tators.. we're not into the big spuds..we don't eat them that much, and kids waste the big ones...

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6390720

no, not a ton of water, there's only 4 containers and I give them a blast from the hose about every other day. Here's the fingerling vine...growing like mad.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America