Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 147 - Spring is here and we have Proof!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 230, Views: 2,138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6236036

Continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957489/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #6236167

Have some sedum popping it's head up early in a barrel planter.

'Frosty Morn'

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6236206

Jo...tell your daughter she did a WONDERFUL JOB on the cake! That is soo pretty!
I decorated cakes for years...a long time ago...and that one is great!!!!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6236359

Wow Jo, that is a beautiful cake. Your grandson must have been a very happy boy.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6236450

That is a great looking cake. Lana, I noticed some of our sedum greening up and fresh growth on the peach leaf bellflower foliage. And weeds...they're greening up in the yard already, of course!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6236473

Andrew designed his own cake...and Valerie did it. I have 2 very clever daughters...I failed Cake Decorating. Jo
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6236482

Yes, of course the weeds are getting a head start :) Never fails.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6236494

Hey Lana! Long Time!!

I haven't downloaded today's shots but there's a ton coming up.
Our 'Black' Sedums came thru nicely... as did all the others but... lol!

Ric
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6236520

I know, I've been soooo bad about not keep up or posting. Had surgery in Dec so that had me down for quite awhile. Feeling much better now but out of shape so working outside in this pretty weather is kicking my butt! You have black sedums? Yummm, been wanting some of them. Almost ordered some last year. Maybe this year I can.

Lana
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #6236685

Give me a few weeks and I'll start some for you.

Ric
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #6236695

That would be wonderful, Ric, thanks. Will have to see what survived the winter here before I post trade stuff.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6236952

It was nice here yesterday... I had to leave at 2:30 and be gone all evening - so could not get into much. But - I did go out and enjoy my witchazels in bloom! Oh, my I love my witchazels. They are such a great way to start the year. On a day like this, they are really open, and when the wind wasn't blowing, it was warm enough to smell them. They don't have a ton of fragrance, but when you can smell them, they have a sweet, romantic, sort of exotic smell. Good thing I live where no one can see me - I stood out there where I have 4 planted close together and just smelled them for the longest time. :-)

Now that I have the macro equipment for my camera, I should try to get some more photos of them. The blooms are so strange.

I did notice buds coming up on all the hellebores, saw crocus coming up, many daffodils, a few daylilies were peeking through, but I would prefer if they weren't...

Saw lots of stuff that needs to be done :-(

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #6236958

Hey Lana! Good to see ya! I've got Black Jack and Purple Emperor sedums too, if either of those are different from Ric's I can start you some too. Black Jack is my favorite.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6236974

Any word on Chele?|
sarv48
south of Grand Rapid, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6236981

baby is here...safe and sound
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6236984

Noland James arrived 3/8/2009 at 12:38 AM. He was 8 lbs 13 oz. 20 3/4" long. Mom, baby and sisters are all doing great. Getting ready to go to the hospital and pick up Michele and Noland now. Thank you all for your best wishes! I'm sure Mom well be back posting in a few hours.

Craig
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6236990

Wow, home quick! Chelle must be keeping them in line, they want her out of there, LOL!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6237038

Nolan got his d! Noland!
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6237068

wonderful news...happy day...

smiles..Diana
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6237173

YAHOOOOO!!!! I got the weight on the dot!!!! 8lb and 13 Oz!!!!!! Now lets see if I got the hair color right...I guessed the black but more like dark auburn...

and Yayyyy for his *D* Tooo.. I am so happy they decided to do it...and born on a Sunday no less...That lil guy is truly blessed!!!!

Can't wait to see pics!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6237187

Dusty you sound like a "Grandpa"!
Glad to hear all went so easy, & they won't even let her stay a day in the hospital.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6237209

Welllll Bernie... Considering I am GrandMA to 24 Grandchildren and 5 Great Grandchildren, I think I just might qualify...LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6237215

Yeah Chelle !!!! Hazah . Welcome Noland !!! we are excited to meet you little dude.
Dusty if he wears his kilt that will be cool. My family is from Scotland. I love bagpipes !!! i do miss the scottish games that are in CA every year.
Neal them are pretty flowers you got.
Hi Lana !!! big ~~~ glad your feeling better and posting . :)
dark and gloomy here , had some rain. Muddy too !!
T wont be comming in tonight , his flights got all screewed up . So he is coming in on Monday . same time 11:45 pm . Just ain't going right for that guy this year. Bad start for him since the beggining. Lets hope April job doesn't go bust .
ttyl
sue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6237226

Sorry, never thought about gender, just took for granted "Dusty" was a man.
Isn't it nice to have large families. I am from a family of 5 & have 2 kids, 1 step son, 2 Grandkids, 2 step Grandkids, & 1 Step Great Grandkid.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6237284

Way to go on little Noland Chele! Hope everything went smoothly and you didn't have to say too many bad words to the people around you!

8' 13"...oh my...

I want some black sedums...now see what you've started?!

Ric, the grill isn't there any more..if it was there, I would have fixed them myself! He's been taking metal to sell...hope we still have a grill...:O(

Looks like my Mom will be coming home on Tuesday from TCU. At least that's what they're shooting for. She is walking the halls with Dad and she was proud to say she got up to go to the bathroom all by herself 3 times!

Looks like it could rain here any time. If it stays warm, I just may go sit on the porch and enjoy it.

I loved sitting on the swing yesterday and after a while the birds even came back to the feeders with me sitting about 6 feet away. That was fun.

I saw some things poking through, but not nearly enough to suit me. I did quite a bit of leaf cleanup and cutting back, but I didn't get finished. I have hellebore buds, too. YAY!

Anxious to hear from Chele. I'll check in later!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6237291

I was kidding Joyce I noticed the grill had gone missing when we were there last.
Ours got WHACKED in the wind storm... we need a new one too!

LOL Bernie on Grandpa Dusty!!!
Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6237413

Bernie, gorgeous Dahlias! For the first time I've had really good luck with the tubers I stored over winter, and I've ordered a few new ones- I think another addiction has started, LOL. I've even (nervously) divided my tubers and can plant some varieties in multiples! Do you raise them on a large scale like the Glads?

Joyce, I'll start several of the black sedums :-)

Ric, what variety do you have? If its not one I've got, I'll want some too,LOL.

Thanks, Sue! I'll post more pics as more blooms come. I just took a stroll outside and found the striped and lavender large flowered crocus are open this morning!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6237424

Thanks Neal!

Those are gorgeous crocus. I have green for crocus, but no buds or blooms yet. That's cuz ya'll are in the south!!!! ;O)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6237428

Ah, but do you have the species types (snow crocus)? They start really early :-)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6237435

Well, these were here, so I don't know. I'm betting NO! If you want to dig any of those beauties up, I'll put my name on the list!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6237511

Do any of you grow "rock fern"? I just fell in love with them at the home show and he said they were hardy here, but I don't ever remember seeing them at any garden center. He said if I came back tonight when the show was over that he'd sell some to me. I doubt if I can talk Bill into driving to Cinci for a few ferns, especially as I don't know HOW MUCH he would charge me!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6237647

Just popped in to say hi, and yeah for Chele and family!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6237652

I checked my tubers the other day. Most look good.
I only had about 40 plants last summer. If I did a good job dividing, I will have hundreds!
Also got some seed started.
Bernie
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6237653

Neal, 'Black Jack' is the one I was looking at purchasing so would love to trade for some :) I'm happy to be back and posting but heading outside now, lots to do!

Lana

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6237723

New picture of Noland on Chele's birthing page...so sweet...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6237742

where is that page ?
did i miss it ? the link ?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6237758

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960436/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6238049

thanks Dusty
needed them bread crumbs LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6238475

Sedum 'Purple Emperor' is the one I have coming up now.

I've seen 'Black Jack' grown under show conditions and it IS beautiful.
It starts out blue/green though then darkens up so we may have it too.
There appear to be some issues w/ it's garden growth.
Aphid prone and like ALL dark Stonecrops splays out in the middle.
We're going to try cage supports this year.
I can't remember exactly but we must have a dozen different Stonecrops.
A very showy one we got last year was a pink flowered one called 'Neon' .
Planted next to 'Cinnamon' it really lights up.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6238488

Whoops I forgot the shot...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6238705

My Black Jack has darker colored leaves than Purple Emperor, and they're smaller and glossier. I think I need to move Purple Emperor, it grows well, but the leaves get bleached out looking spots in late summer. It gets strong afternoon sun where it is, so I may try it where other plants shade it later in the day.

Lana, I'll be sure to start some for ya!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6239513

Thanks, Neal! :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6239652

GH bit the dust with this last storm that went crashing through about an hr ago :(
ripped the frame right off in peices.
oh well back to drawing board :(

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6239694

Oh no, Sue, I'm so sorry...

I love those dark sedums.

I got a lot more cleaned in the beds today and lots of things are green down low, so I covered them with a little mulch until we can get through this next cold spell.

I am one HAPPY camper! Bertie and I made the run to the Garden show in Cinci to see about getting those Korean Rock Ferns. After spending about 15 minutes looking for a place to park (I WAS NOT paying either $8 or $10 for event parking for 20 minutes!) we parked in a no parking zone along with about 15 other vehicles and crossed our fingers. When we got inside, the guy remembered us and told me to make an offer. So I asked him how big they were and he said they were in four inch pots. So I said, how about 5 for $10. He said..ok. Then there were some maidenhair that Bertie wanted and she got 5 of those for $8. So I said I had another $1.00 what could I get. I ended up with 6 rock ferns and 1 maidenhair for $12.00. I am happy. There was a beautiful coleus we both fell in love with on one of the displays and we went there while waiting for 6:00 pm to come. A girl there was waiting to get them. She had already bought them, but I talked her in to letting me get a couple pinches! It is Plum Parfait. It is Beautiful! Hopefully, I won't kill them. Bertie gave me the job of trying to root them.

Hope you're all having a good evening!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6239868

Good Evening All...Still 61* here tonight...We had a quicky rain and a bit of wind, then it quit...I hope this isn't the calm before the storm...

We took out the diseased Mimosa tree yesterday including the stump...It had held my feeders and bird houses, so I rearranged my bird feeders last night, and now I can see them perfectly, and it will work great for summer as the shepherds hooks will hold the hummer feeders instead of the seeders...The birds seem to like it too...I put the suet hangars out in the big river birch, and the woodies have been all over them already...I think I am going to move the 2 Butterfly bushes from the pond to here by the porch...Since I will be working on the waterfall, they will stand less chance of getting stomped or mashed with a rock...LOL

My guest room closet got emptied out this morning, and everything hauled out to the garage that is going to the church in Xenia for their annual sale to raise money for their food bank...but they won't be here until tomorrow evening, because it was raining in Xenia this afternoon, and he has no way to cover anything...

I decided no raking or shoveling today, as my back is bothering me, so I spent from noon till 5pm on my knees or my behind weeding and cleaning out around the pond...Both ends are done and one long side so far...Since I will have to dig out the rest of those tree suckers, I will leave that side for now...I pulled weeds out of the long mulch path that I am leaving, and got all but 5 feet of it done, and turned over...That needed to be done, as I am adding the mulch from the short path to it...Tomorrow I will clean off the berm, then truck all of my mess to where it can be burned...and I have a gracious plenty of it so far, and have barely made a dent in it...I found lots of green things besides dandelions and other noxious weeds out there today... ;-))
Once I get the pond put back together, I will have alot of perfect places to put my creeping phlox, and some hens and chicks in those rock crevices...I want to keep everything real low on this side of the slope...

The early bulbs are still there, and now there are alot more coming up, that I did not plant...The first ones got hit hard with that last freeze, but they are still coming...I think once they do their thing, I am going to dig them up and put them all out on the berm...It will get mulched good this fall, if not before, so may protect them better next winter if they decide to sneak up too early again...and that will make a beautiful bulb bed for bright spring color...

Bro Bill said we don't need the gutter on the garage because of the rubber roof so what we get off of there, and what we salvage from the patio roof demo, I think we will have enough to do the whole front of the house...I want to set the downspouts to where I can add those sprinklers on the bottom that will water the gardens without flooding everything, and force the water away from the house...
I really don't want any more 4 foot icicles in front of this bay window next winter that I gotta go whack off either...LOL

You all have a good evening and a wonderful day tomorrow!!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6240036

I have been lurking mostly today. We went to church, and came home to a pot of beef stew and cornbread, ate, cleaned the kitchen, and then took a nap. Ate a sandwich for supper, and then a cousin of DH's came and visited. He is one of those people who never pauses for breath, just keeps on talking. I wonder if you just sat and said nothing he would probably continue to talk. I finally excused myself and went to the bedroom and called my DTS, and chatted. We are long winded, so when I came back to the family room, he was gone.

Sue, I am so sorry to hear that your greenhouse was blown away. Will you try another? Did you have any plants in it?

Neal, I love the black sedum. I had Black Jack and Purple Emperor, but somehow the freeze a couple of years ago wiped mine out. Maybe you could start a few for trades at the RU, I know I would be interested.

Joyce and Bertie, you are plant bandits!! You practically stole those plants, and you know it. Bet he just didn't want to pack them up for a trip home, so I guess you are probably heros to him, helping him out like that.

Dusty, I resisted the temptation to go out and work today. The blasted wind would have blown my clean up clear to kingdom come. There were tornado warnings out for just north of Louisville, but we got about 10 drops of rain, and the wind has finally stopped blowing.

~~~ to Bernie, and Lana, and others who I know I have missed speaking to.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6240133

Well our connection was down for about 2 hours.
Lots of sirens and rain but little wind.
The Amelia area was under a downdraft for a bit and it started to spiral... but no Tornado.

Joyce you'll like the Rock Ferns. We've had them for years and they've done great.
BonnieIN

(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6240315

Hope you all don't mind me joining in..
Love how everyone gets along so well on this forum!

I also noticed today that my sedum are popping up along with many daff's and my peonies are just beginning to peek thru the soil. Started hearing the spring peepers last week which put a smile on my face.

Our county got lucky tonight and only got a nice rain but tornado watches were closeby.
Here's a pix that I sent to Steve Norris (wcpo cincy) which I took right after the storm.. A beautiful rainbow and if you look closely you can see a double that was trying to form.

Thumbnail by BonnieIN

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6240331

Oh, welcome another Bonnie to the forum,with a name like that you are bound to fit in. I am Bonnie also, and go by defoecat, tell us a little about yourself.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6240384

Welcome Bonnie!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6240403

Don't think I told you, on Friday got a letter from my retirement system, and I will be getting a check $900 less than what I have become accustomed to beginning in April. They advised me to sign up for SS, so I will be off to the SS office early in the morning. If I can't get SS, may just have to go back to work. Waaa, not what I wanted in my future.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6240439

Wow Bonnie, what was the reasoning behind that ???? They did that to Dave ...he had to start paying some of his medical...but it could be a lot worse...(and may well be..later on).
Welcome BonnieIN!! I am on the IN border..in Ohio. Where is Aurora?
Lots of wind here today too...so no work outside.
My cold/sinus infection has seemed to come back on me hot and heavy...so been trying to stay out of the wind. So what do I do...but go to the skating party for DGD tonight, and they had an air conditioner blowing in there...and I couldn't seem to get away from it!
If I am not a whole lot better by tomorrow, I am calling the dr to see if he can give me something to clear this up. Two weeks is long enough I think! I'm sick and tired of being sick!!!
Ok...off to bed here! Nite everyone.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6240517

Welcome BonnieIN. I amW of Aurora in Brownstown . I don't live in town though. We used to go through Aurora a lot when we visited my Sis in Milford Ohio. Now she lives in Ky so I don't get that way very often.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6241447

Resident Bonnie (I started to say old Bonnie, but self preservation instinct set in, LOL), sure, I'll start plenty of the Sedums. They're so cute now, like clusters of purple Brussels sprouts!

New Bonnie, Welcome! I love spring peepers! I'm sure they must be out and about here, but I haven't been out at night- I miss that sound. Now that we're getting some warmer nights I'll be more inclined to be out.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6241707

Welcome Bonnie.

OK, dumb question? What are spring peepers?

I have to get myself dressed. Dad will be here soon to get me to go to the Dr. with him. Pray he can get his knee straightened up without surgery. I've been at the hospital enough lately!!!!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6241810

Wow I cannot believe i missed Little Noland coming into the world. I am gonna sue ATT. They suck!

We had a storm up here Saturday and my DSL was down until last night. I just read about him this morning :(

I can not believe this!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 9, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6241849

Well, stay away from the computer and all sorts of things break loose.

Congrats to Chele. Sounds like things went pretty much as planned and that's got to be one of the prettiest newborns I've seen. Mine were all butt ugly and normally every other baby I've seen just after being born is too. That young 'un is perfect!

Darius, my grandfather used to dust new cut potatoes with sulphur. Especially second crop potatoes since they have much more tendancy to rot that first crop. If he didn't have sulphur he'd use wood ash. He usually tried to cut them at least a week before planting to give the cuts time to scab over. When he made the rows he'd scatter some 10-10-10 in the row before planting. Since that's how I was taught to do it that's how I do it too.

I got almost 800 onion sets in the ground yesterday. Green onions here we come. Garden was plowed Saturday but we didn't get anything tilled and planted. I did get a row of peas scratched into a spot before the storm hit last night. I started to tie down the little plastic greenhouse but finally decided that was stupid and took the plants inside and took the whole cover off the thing. At least I know the thing is in one piece now. We didn't get much rain but it surely did blow.

I want to get a about 5 apple trees trimmed this week. DH has a pear tree lined up to trim. It's a mature tree that a friend of his hasn't touched in years. We got some of the pears last year and they made excellent pear preserves so there ya go.

Welcome BonnieIN.

Joy, I think spring peepers are the little frogs that sing this time of year. Could be wrong though.

Bonnie, I think depending upon which retirement plan you took, your retirement could drop when you start drawing SS. I reckon you'd have to pull out your papers and see which option you took.

Everybody have a fine day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6242183

Welcome BonnieIN. Glad you could join us. :)
well muddy, wet and cold !!! only 37 this am brrrrr. that ain't nice Mother Nature !!!
Bonnie that sucks on your check ! i hope SS goes well for you and you can get some of that .
wow KY that is alot of onions. !
off to wally world
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6242493

Back from the SS office, and I am a happy camper again. When all is said and done, I came out a little better than what my retirement was. No much, but enough that I thought it was a nose thumb to the retirement system.

We have the peepers here too, they sound so good at night time, I have the fat robins walking around here too. So I think the indication is that spring is on it's way.

Okay, gotta get it in gear and get some things accomplished this afternoon, since the government red tape people took up my morning.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6242695

Spring is here!! It got here when Micheles Son was born... hence the title of this Thread...LOL New Birth always signals Spring... :-))

I had a fast run to the VA for Jims monthly coumadin check...He is right where he always is at 3.0 because of the dosage we give him, that is regulated by the diet I feed him...He loves broccoli and a few other things they are normally not allowed to eat, so to compensate, we adjust his dosage so I can feed him what he likes to eat...That is one of the reasons we eat so many grilled chicken salads...on Mescal mix no less which is totally forbidden on a coumadin diet...He gets his broccoli and brussels sprouts etc...no problem...

The sun is out nice and bright, but its only 41* out there now...I came home to catch 2 ladder thieves in action...LOL
Bro and Tony came to get the extension ladder they left Saturday, so I dunno if my ladder will reach these windows or not...but they need doing really bad...This winter weather did a number on them...I washed the insides when I got here...but couldn't do the outsides, and they they were actually fine then...Can't say the same now...LOL

Bro and Tony are going to come over this week and we are going to rip off the back patio cover...There is a ton of aluminum there he can sell for the scrap yard...I am going to go raid him, and see if he has anything I need, that he doesn't need for the new cover...We will need new fascia board for sure...I only need a few 2x4's to frame in the front porch...so it can be screened...I have Gracks tearing out insulation and trying to nest up in there, and I need to put a stop to that right away... They are already in the back patio where the under cover has come loose...Another good reason to do it right away, not to mention the water issue...and with the spring rains coming, it's only going to get worse...

Well Jazzpunkin posted over on Micheles Baby thread, so she is still alive at any rate...Maybe she will post over here too...

I am off to find something to do...I can't get my wheelbarrow out of the garage till the church comes to get all of these donations, so I can't clean up the mess I made yesterday pulling weeds and leaves and prunings etc. so maybe I will just go make some more messes out there...Not like there is nothing in the yard that needs doing... LOL

Have a great day all!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6243560

Well, I took dad and the acupuncture worked. :O) He goes back for another session next week. Hopefully, it will hold.

Looks like I will be babysitting Kavin for 2 weeks in a row. Their babysitter is going on vacation. They are insisting on paying me, and I guess I will take it. Under normal circumstances I would not, but I can surely use the spending money.

Hard to believe it's 4:00 and I haven't done anything but walk gardens from here to Dusty's and then to Bertie's, then back to Dusty's.

Cayenne is worn out. She ran and played with Kira (Dusty's standard poodle) then she went and ran with Bear (Bertie's lab) and then ran with Maggie (Bertie's doxy). She's plumb tuckered!

I did water the transplanted Japanese Maples so it wasn't an entirely busted day. :-)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6244104

BOnnie so glad it went well for you at the SS office.
I better get them toys over to you pretty soon Cookie LOL bummer i just gave the smaller bikes to the SA too. i still have the other bikes for you.
not much here
grocery
kids
dinner
felt kinda sick in throat ,
drank water took tylenol
feel better :)
waiting for T to arrive tonight at 1 am
bbl
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6244296

So does that mean you'll be missing for a few days, Sue????
BonnieIN

(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6244600

Thanks all for the welcome, I've been peeking at your posts and decided I would say hello! :)

I now live in Moores Hill which is just outside of Aurora, IN. We purchased a home w/20 acres last summer and just moved in after Christmas. I've got alot of planning and planting to do here, which I started on some projects last summer and fall.

I am nuts about watergardens and have a nice size koi pond and goldfish pond at our other house which we're getting ready to put on the market this summer so I've got to figure out where I want my ponds at our new place. So much to do!

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6244982

Joyce I envy you living that close to your gardening buddies. Sounds like a good day to me. I was dying to get outside but waited until about 3:30 as I am pacing myself so I won't get tired and sore. I am cleaning off beds and trying to decide if I should remove all the leaves or leave some to cover plants. I have a lot of things peeping through but I know we are sure to have more cold weather. I wish we could just have a little cold and not a hard freeze. Sunny days etc.
I am thinking about going to bed soon as I am a little tired and sore. uh oh.

Bonnie glad you're going to have a little more spending cash. I never made enough money when I was younger and was a stay at home Mom so have to draw SS off my DH.

Speaking of spending money I am going to town tomorrow to try to find a couple pairs of capris and maybe some sandals for my trip to Florida. My daughter and I are going spring break week to visit my sister in law. Or did I tell you all that before. If any of you are like me you wouldn't remember if i did. lol Anyway I am looking forward to it.When I come home I really hope to be able to hit the gardening hard. Good night ... I promised you all I was going to bed.
Veronica

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6245026

BonnieIN, there is always so much to do, no matter if it is a new house or an existing one. I am always planting more, and planning more gardens, I am trying to get rid of as much grass as the DH will permit. He is the grass guru here, and takes pride in his perfect lawn, so it is a tug of war sometimes with him not wanting to lose lawn, and me wanting more flower beds.

Neal, had to chuckle at your Resident vs old comment, being a male, you have a nicely developed sense of self preservation!! Naw, I wouldn't have minded, because signing up for SS today, made me realize I am OLD!! Oh, well, I am young at heart and that is all that matters, age is just a number.

I am hesitant to get out and really clean all the old foliage out of some beds, and leave the emerging foliage so vulnerable. We are sure to have some more freezing weather, and I just don't want to expose that new growth to the elements just yet.

I think I will tackle the 3rd bedroom tomorrow and get some furniture moved around.and get moving on turning that into an office. I still have a 4 tiered shelf of plants in there and they will reside there until it gets warm enough to get them outside. But there is plenty to do in there, and will make a start of it.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6245046

Indynannie, wow, talk about thinking alike, I just expressed my concern about taking all the foliage off the gardens. Too risky I think so I will leave mine be for awhile.

Yep, I am not gonna have to go back to work, it is all good, same level of income, and I have managed on that for about 10 years, so I can do another 10, if they don't start messing with SS and deciding we don't need as much as we get. And that could happen.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
9:37 AM

Post #6246061

Well I'm sure glad the time has changed, I would have been up at 3am if it hadn't! Its still so warm, I've been outside on the deck drinking coffee under the moon. The air smells so good...like spring! Got several things done in the gardens in the glorious weather yesterday. Dug up Quince bushes for Darius and got a couple moved to sunnier spots where they should produce better. There's a bunch of them in there! Darius, I got 3 for you, do you think that's enough? If any more of you want some, let me know- they aren't difficult to dig, and have nice root systems. Sowed more seeds in the leach field, and divided and replanted some Shasta daisies. I thought long and hard about removing the leaves from the beds yesterday too, but decided against it. Still more cold weather on the way I'm sure, and I've already seen Lilies breaking ground, so I'll leave the leafy mulch till the end of this month.

I don't recall if I told y'all about my cat Maggie who disappeared in October, well, I guess ran off is a better word for it. I've had her about 10 years, and she was always a sweet, loving cat, but never did well with other female cats. She's always been well behaved and good about her litter box habits, and being a bit of a prissy princess, she typically stayed inside (but liked spending time outside in summer). Well last fall we had the other 2 cats fixed and they had to stay in the house for a week after their surgeries, and Maggie let me know how dissatisfied she was with the arrangement first by pooping and peeing in my bed, and then a couple of days after that, she actually crawled on top of me at 2:30 am and peed on me! We were not amused...I snatched her up and mopped up the pee with the cat! Swatted her on the rump and tossed her outside, and didn't see hide nor hair of her again. She was the most special one to me, but the way we parted kept me from grieving much...I usually just got mad when I thought about her, LOL. So 5 months later here I am sowing seeds in the leach field and hear a meow from the growth by the creek, and suddenly emerges Maggie! I then realized that the neighbor who lived in the house at the bottom of the hill has recently moved, she must have taken up residence there and her meal ticket left! She followed me back to the house, and even though she doesn't like the other cats, doesn't act like she's going anywhere. I haven't really decided whether I'm happy about it or not, LOL.

Joyce, spring peepers are the little frogs that come out the first warm days of spring at make peeping sounds at night. If there are ponds or water ways near, you'll usually hear them. I just heard them when I was out on the deck!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6246234

Neal, How cold is it this morning in Winchester? 57 here. I can't wait to go out in the morning and drink my coffee. Great minds think alike don't they? My throat seems a little sore but doesn't that usually occur in spring when we can't wait to get out and experience every beautiful day.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6246265

Its 57 here too. I noticed the high today is supposed to be 79! Cloudy, but fine with me.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6246283

Thanks for the peeper lesson! Since I don't have a pond here. :O( I won't be hearing them and I will miss that so much. I loved to hear my frogs...maybe I can dig your pond up and move it to my house...cause I know I certainly can't get away with taking Dusty's!!!

I told her I was taking my bench...she said I wasn't...I AM! My DIL's dad made that for me and they gave it to me for a Mother's day present one year and it is coming to the shade garden. She can come visit it if she wants to!!!!!!!!!!

Exercise day...old ART is raising his ugly head this morning, so a couple Advil are in my future!!!

Have a great day all.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6246285

I checked and it was really 53 here just messed up on the typing before. The 79 is what Louisville is giving too. I hope we don't get storms tonight.
BTW how are your vincas growing? I have moved mine to an upstairs window as it was so cold in the garage a couple of weeks ago and they seem to be doing better. I think they will be fine to continue in a window now

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6246287

Meant t show you a picture of my sweet little Korean Rock ferns...

Thumbnail by joycet

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6246302

Joyce Are the Korean rock ferns miniature? They look very healthy. Do you treat them like any other fern. I only have 2, Branford Beauty, a sport of Pictum the Japanese painted fern and one that stays green in winter. I believe it is called Christmas fern.

When is the Cincinnati Garden Show or whatever it is called? Not that I will be able to go but am just wondering. I did get to go one time and enjoyed it a lot.

Bonnie sure hope they don't touch the SS. Would really devastate a lot of folks.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6246307

Ooohh, those Rock ferns are pretty! Are they hardy?

My Vincas look pretty good. some yellowed slightly, but seem to have greened up since I fertilized them. The babies get fertilized again today.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6246315

Hey Veronica. Yes, these generally stay around 6 inches, but not taller than 12. They're supposed to be hardy to zone 4 so they should do fine for us. I absolutely love ferns.

The Cinci Flower Show is in April. I think it starts on April 17th or 18th this year. I love to go just for the fun of seeing different combinations and getting ideas. It's always a fun day out. One of our ORVG members Maggie (Mystic) usually does a container. So it's fun to "know" someone that displays. You should try to come. Maybe you and Lou and "new" Bonnie! I'm sure Bertie and I are going and I'm trying to talk Dusty in to it. We'll see if that works out!

Have you seen this on the coop thread? This stuff sounds pretty good. I'd like to try it. Not sure if I can afford it unless I go in with someone. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/959765/#new

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6246320

Hey Neal, I answered your question above, but I meant to tell you something else...I had a purple crocus bloom yesterday! I was so excited.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6246349

OH MY GOODNESS!!

Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday dear Ricccccccccccc, ♫♫Happy Birthday to you!

Would have been fun if Chele could have held out for a couple days...

Hope you're having a wonderful day!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6246356

Says you! LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIC!

Be back in a few..

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6246358

:-)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6246389

Happy Birthday OLD man!!!

Joyce, was it you who said your Crepe Myrtles looked dead? If it was, lol, they may well come back from the roots, and they will bloom on new wood. They emerge late, so give it time.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6246399

Sorry about that! I haven't had time to post on anything the last day or so and am trying to catch up. I posted on the baby thread this morning because I've been awake since about 3:15. I've been back to bed, just not back to sleep. So I sit down to post and my bodily functions decide to level out. ROTFLOL Good news is, I'm only 3 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight and already the latest dairy product! Bad news is, I'm still twice the weight I was when I graduated. Sigh. I guess I shouldn't expect many more miracles. ;)

I was just saying yesterday, that I need a way to tape the froggy noises here. My Great Aunt (now gone) told me how much she missed laying in bed and listening to the the sound of the frogs at night. She'd have loved it here. We already have three distinctive frog voices coming from the puddles. One is the spring peeper! When it's warm here in early spring and the rains are frequent, the noise is also maddening-like something you'd here on a scary movie, shot in the bayou.

Hi new Bonnie! It's very nice to meet you and I'm happy to see you have joined us. I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple of days or I would have welcomed you sooner. Good luck on the move/sell/new gardens. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again! LOL

Well, we've successfully removed 5 of the 6 girls from the house for the day and are enjoying a few minutes of computer time before little mommy Maddie and the new prince Nolan wake up. Then we need to get cleaned up and run back to the hospital for a few shots and tests. Still beats the heck out of staying in the hospital! Those people won't let ya rest!

Y'all have a great day!

Edit=coffee first, type second...

This message was edited Mar 10, 2009 8:53 AM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6246415

Hey gang
well T finaly arrived at 3:30 am ! his Newark flight got delayed
poor guy
left china on sunday at 5am, got delayed in Bejing overnight , got on plane monday at 11 am , flew to Newark and got delayed again 4 hrs. sheesh so he was traveling for 2 days and don't forget they are 12 hrs ahead of us , so he lost a day once he hit Newark. So he is really still on Tueday night china time. Yikes.
he took kids to school ?
i m sick again. throat is closed shut , head is killing me just feel icky
Neal my parents had a cat that disappered for over a year. He came home one day , but he was a changed kitty. THey still have him.
I m glad your kitty is back. :)
raining and gloomy here
stay dry
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6246418

forgot to say
Happy birthday Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6246442

Morning Neal! Congrats on the kitty...I think. LOL Our Mr. Wilt kitty took off last February, never to be seen again. :( I'm not a cat person but I sure loved that cat!

Morning Sue! Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. ;( It sounds like you guys need a good round of antibiotics at the same time!

I was just watching a fox out in the field. Neat to see, but bad news since I have chickens! Hubby was saying it's been kind of dangerous driving at night because all of the wild animals are on the run/prowl/looking to breed, whatever. We've seen lots of skunks and opossum and he said the deer are out too. Two days ago, he watched some hawks circle and breed mid air, then free fall and take off. This is the first time we've seen a fox!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6246463

Neat a fox ! yeah not good around chickens.
i hope your doing well Chelle . How is the baby ? cute as a can be i m sure.
how are the girls doing with a new bro around. ? i bet they are excited. They take turns holding him ?
well i m off to lay down again uhg
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6246468

We are going great! Thanks for asking. I'll take more pics when we go out today. It will be interesting to see if he's gained. I think he's putting as much out as I'm putting in! LOL He's really a great baby and already rotten. The girls absolutely love him. It kills them to stop and wash their hands so they can grab him up when they come home! Thankfully two get home, then an hour later, three come home so it paces them some. :)

Hope you feel better soon!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6246831

Chele - glad your doing good, and everything went well! Curt is due home this weekend, then I imagine when he gets settled in he will call. I have been busy, and have not had time to get much more done on the website stuff. I knew you were busy too - so have not been to worried about it.

Happy birthday Ric!

Welcome to the new folks!

Just popping in to say hello. Trying to get a few things done, while waiting on repair from TimeWarner.

Waving to everyone! ~~~~~~~

Jules
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6246917

Well I just did a dumb thing...lol. Was typing here...and clicked to see email...and lost it of course...duhhh!!
Ok...all over again! Chele...good to see things are going well for you all...and that handsome new boy! I remember when Dawson was born. Ashley was almost 5 yrs old...and the only one. She was so good with him...but it came out that she thought her mom and dad didn't love her anymore. Poor thing. They reassured her of course...and now she is like a little mom to him!
When we lived on the farm, we used to have a fox that would come up on the porch to eat dry cat food with the cats! They all seemed to get along just fine! And then, there was the badger we saw in the corn field acrossed the driveway. He did NOT look friendly at all!!!
Our peepers haven't sung yet! Or maybe I just haven't been outside at the right time?
I love to hear them!
Neal...is that quince the ornamental kind or the fruit kind? I too, have lilies poking through. But I can't find any signs of the snowdrops I planted last fall. I think the voles ate them! I sure wish I could get rid of those voles!! Way too many around here!!
Well...not sure what I am going to get in to today...but sure I will find something!!

Ric...happy birthday!!! And many more!!

Sue...hope you feel better soon! My bad cold is getting better, but...still blowing .
Hope you all have a great day.!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6246955

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO RIC !! Does this mean you are catching up to me???? LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6247041

Happy Birthday Ric, hope it is a good one for you.

Chele sounds all good for your house, hope it continues, but with the help you have, it may just be a minor thing if he decides he wants to cry a little.

Sue, hope you get to feeling better, and soon. Give T several days to get oriented to our time, before hitting him with the honey dos.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6247156

Good afternoon... or it will be by the time I post this. I just got up, slept like a rock AFTER about 4-5 AM. I HATE wasting half a day of sunshine.

Neal, 3 quince sound delightful. Having 2 is good for pollination, and a third for back-up! My flowering quince is trying to put out a few flowers but it's in a bad place and I neglect it. Marcy, I think Neal said these are the fruiting quince... at least I hope so. The flowering quince will sometimes get a fruit or two, but not dependably.

Chele, glad the new king is doing well... (and the Mommie!).

I failed earlier to welcome the newcomers but I'm glad you have joined in. :)

Happy Birthday, Ric!!

Thumbnail by darius

BertieL
Franklin, OH

March 10, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6247200

Chele, congratulation on the new arrival and the first boy. He will be rotten with all the spoiling from the girls.
Sue sorry to hear you are sick just when hubby came home, no good on that.
Happy Birthday Rick and many more.
Cookie and I exercised today and I am pooped. Got to get out side and fix a leak on my waterfall today so both pumps will run on the falls.
Have a good day every one and don't get too much spring fever because we are going to have some more cold days. Boo Hoo
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6247327

Marcy, yep, these are the fruiting Quince, but the flowers are large and white, and the foliage is kinda downy with a silvery sheen, so its a pretty plant too. I have flowering quince too that looks quite old. I could probably get starts off of it too. Be glad to try if you'd like some. It was huge with lots of dead growth, poison ivy, and a diseased multiflora rose all tangled up in it when we first moved in. We cut it nearly all the way back so we could get it cleaned out. Looks like its going to bloom pretty well this spring, but should look great next year.

Chele, so glad you're settling in well with the new addition.

Well, better get back out there to digging!
Enjoy this gorgeous day everybody,
Neal
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6247444

Just got in from a walk around the gardens, and George, just had to tell you, I thought the fairy rose bit the dust during the drought last year, but it has green leaves on it, and looks very good. Yipee, what a surprise.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6247472

Neal...I would LOVE some of the FRUITING quince!!! I have been wanting that forever!! Never seemed to get around to buying one..lol! I thought they were self fertile...but guess not huh? I DO want fruit from it. I absolutely love quince jelly on toast. Quince and mulberry have to be my very favorite kinds of jelly!
What could I send you in return???? Just name it!
I have had the flowering quince. It was pretty too, but I didn't seem to have very good luck with it. Of course that was a few years back when we lived on the farm.

Bonnie...I don't think you can kill the fairy rose!!!
valrita

March 10, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6247476

Happy, happy birthday, Ric!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6247856

Happy Birthday Ric. It is your 65th isn't it. We need to plan a retirement party!!! Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6248136

HI everyone
well i sleeped the day away, just couldn't keep my eyes open ? no energy either.
T is off and running , go figure ? crazy old man he is.
you would think hew would be the one sleeping ?
he went and picked up our taxes. , then pick up kids.
Chelle you do realize that little guy ain't gonna never learn to walk !!! with them gilrs holding him all the time LOLLLLL. Glad things are going well. :) many blessings to you guys
well the beasts are home
got to run
sue
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 10, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6248138

Happy Birthday Ric!

I think we're on this afternoon to plant peas, carrots, beets and onions. I'll work the ground for cabbage and next time I get to Southern States I'll pick up a few bundles of plants and get them in the ground too. I seem to start getting more and more energy when it starts warming up and looking pretty outside.

I've lost a few new daylilies but over all it looks like most of what I planted late last fall is coming up fine. Jules, it looks like I'm seeing everything that you gave me so if you find yourself wishing you had some of them back just holler and a package will be heading back your way! It's so funny, last spring I bought about 10 Siberian iris. Nice roots. I don't think a one of them made it but I think every one that I got from Jules looks to be coming up even if it's just a little root. I'm going to be excited to see all this stuff bloom this year.

Time to get to planting. Y'all have a good rest of the day!

Chele, get some rest.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6248159

Happy Birthday Ric
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6248265

Hey, y'all. Happy Tuesday. And happy birthday to Ric!

I'm a bit sad today, just learned the scrapbook store and its sister store in Zanesville are both up for sale. I can understand why they're selling, but I am so sad to see it. They're good people and I hate to see them take the same beating so many small businesses across the country have been taking. I hope they can find buyer(s).
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6248400

Breaking lurkdom to wish you a Happy Birthday, Ric! And a belated one to any I missed recently.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6248467

I've been working in the garden again... I swear that maple tree debris is breeding overnight!
My garlic is up nicely; I raked off the straw today, before the seed heads can start growing. I'll re-mulch with leaves tomorrow. Don't they look good? My shallots are up too. I thought I had lost a few shallots but now I think not. I didn't have many to start with... those are the half-row to the left of the garlic row.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6248479

Neal isn't the only one with crocus! I see at least one more purple, and several yellow poking up...

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6248482

Back to burning brush... see ya later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6248816

that looks great darius
i still havn't gotten my seeds started :(

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6248860

Austin just fell on the stairs and knocked his two front teeth out . Uhg.
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6248952

Aaagh! Baby teeth or permanent?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6249294

Musta been baby teeth or she'd have been wailin' more?

edited for typo

This message was edited Mar 10, 2009 8:30 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6249402

THANKS! for the Birthday Wishes!

Lou I know where you live!
I'll send John Cougar over to have a little talk w/ you! LOL!
Actually if it was even 62 I'd be retired!
Still 5 years to go.
Sorry Dusty I'm just not fast enough to catch up to you guys! LOL!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6249519

Yeah Bro...I know...by the time you hit 60, I'll be fossil dust...but that's okay... we love ya anyway!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6249854

Evening friends, other than the walk in the yard spotting all the green that is coming up, I potted up some things that I received from a friend, and it was a fairly easy day. I am showing such constraint by not being outside uncovering things. I know that we will have more cold weather, and therefore am just making myself wait a few more weeks to get into the gardens full time.

Janet, DH has planted some onions, peas and some beets. He will be putting out the cabbage and broccoli if the weather hold in the next few days. The gardens worked perfectly he said, and he is itching to get things going. So in addition to my restraint, I am having to help him exercise restraint in his planting. When that planting bug strikes him, he just tosses all the almanacs and planting guides over his shoulder and gets going.

Sue, hope that it was baby teeth, and you do not have a big dentist bill if it was the permanent ones. Give him a big hug from me.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6250164

Hi, Gang!
Happy Birthday to Ric dah-dah-de-da-de-dah!
I went out today & found my 2 pasqueflower plants fuzzy & green in the center, my hellebores are budding, snowdrops are open, & 2 daffodils opened while I was at the dentist--yay! TOns of other bulbs showing leaves, & lots of baby columbine plants are poking upwards. Plus I ordered a "backyard garden" sized enclosure from Benner's deer fence, plus a real gate that won't collapse like my homemade one did this winter. At least I can save the tomatoes again from the deer. I understand we may get another round of mega-winds tonight, so last years mesh enclosure may end up in Pennsylvania!

I know it's been awhile since I checked in & posted-- my usual winter hibernation, I guess. I'm trying to get caught up. Bonnie, my sympathies on your MIL's death, even though I understand that everyone was relieved that her suffering was over. The funeral story was VERY powerful...

For the other John McCutcheon fans--- I'm with you. I've seen him 3 times now & would happily go to one of his concerts every day. He has a lovely, humble spirituality, too. He's a Quaker-- or at least, he was, the last time I saw him.
I'm doing a wedding at the Krohn Conservatory in early April. Never done one there-- should be interesting!
Hugs to all,
Pat

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6250831

Drumroll please...last night Bill and I went to Mason to check on a pond that was on the Barter list on Craig's List. She wanted landscape work traded for a pond kit. She said she believes the kit is for a 20x20 pond. Never been touched. Well, she did unroll the underlayment fabric. She wanted work done that Bill wasn't willing to do. She had a fence in a tree line and wanted it all taken down. They are moving in May. To make a long story short. She came down on her original asking price of the pond kit and it is MINE!!! We will take her the money tonight and get what we can. The sweet thing is she has a pile of humongo rocks that she is throwing in. They remind me of these rocks from one of the ponds from the Cinci Pond Tour.

Thumbnail by joycet

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6250873

Marcy, the Quince may be seed sterile, these have layered themselves from a branch that had partially broken and made contact with the earth. Must have happened a long time ago, because some of the babies that are rooted along the length of the branch were big enough to bloom last year. I'll dig 3 for you, at least 2 for good pollination and an extra in case one doesn't make it.

Kimberly, sorry to hear about the store being sold.

Joyce, lucky you!!! Great find!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6250944

Thanks Neal...meant to say thanks for the info on the Crape Myrtles, too!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6250955

Oh good, that was you with the Crepe Myrtle, LOL. A few houses down from where I grew up some neighbors had several Crepe Myrtles. When I was living at home our winters were more severe, and those CMs died back to the ground yearly, but by August were 5-6' tall and blooming beautifully- I remember them so well because I was always so envious of them, LOL. They're still there.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6251239

My sinuses got me up bright and early today. I've had my breakfast, surfed a bit and I'm dressed ready to do something, just don't know what. It's not quite as warm as I thought it would be. Then again, I was going on hope from yesterday and not the reality of the cold front that blew through last night. LOL

Sometime today, we have to take the Jetta to the body shop. They've had it in there three times already because of damage to the car when that goober smashed and grabbed the stereo last month. There was glass left down in the door and I believe it did something to the motor. That's the latest replacement. I bet our auto insurance just wishes they'd totaled it, as many times as we've had to take it back to the shop. LOL
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6251308

I saw crocus blooming in Westerville yesterday on my way to work! (just northwest of Columbus)

My witchazels are JAMMING!!! the cornus mas is just starting to open. I told my Mom this morning - it's going to be non-stop now till fall. I see hellebore buds up a couple inches.

Sue - I won't see peony growth here for a few weeks unless I dig down in the mulch.

Here's a bloom to get you by till they start blooming, how is that? I have quite a few different ones. But, I only know the names on a few. One of my daylily friends shared some of hers a few years ago, but didn't have the names on them. :-( And they were good ones - but she never kept the names.

I like the singles - after a rain, they are more likely to stay upright. The big full ones end up nose down in the mud.

edited because I can't spell this morning - but why should today be any different?

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6251452

Jules, have you been back out to Dawes? Is their witch hazel done showing off? They had a few twigs with blooms on display at the visitor's center when I was there for the scrapbook event February 19-20. I've not been back out there since.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6251486

I'd love to have a witch hazel... I bought one when I still lived in Asheville but it died over the first winter. I'd like to move my peonies now but advice says wait until fall... they are in a terrible place where I almost don't see them bloom.

I've gathered my level, screwdriver (drill), long galv. screws, and post hole digger; time to do some manual labor...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6251647

Good morning all!! As I begin typing it IS morning still...lol...but I know it won't be by the time I am done!
Neal...thank you sooooooooo much! I would LOVE to have the quinces!! Please tell me something you want...ahem...besides the seeds I promised to send you!!
Oops...just heard the clock chime 12 noon...lol!!
Joyce...lucky you!!! I love rocks! Dave insists that I must have lived in medevial times...the way I love rock and castles...turrets. I have always loved rocks though. And I want a pond too...whaaaaaaa!!!
Pat...good to see you again!!
Jules...that is a beautiful peony!!! Sooooo pretty!!!
Witch hazel is something I don't have either Darius. I guess there are still things I need to plant out there!!! LOL!!
Well...I am debating whether to call my dr or not. I have had this dang sinus/cold infection for...going on the third week now. It's better, but just won't go away!
I have never run a fever with it, so didn't figure antibiotics would do any good. I think I have tried most OTC meds...nothing helps.
I hesitate to call him because he will probably want me to come in...and I don't want to!
Too many germs in there now!!! LOL!
Ok...give me your best advice folks...what would you do?????

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6251741

Buy a Neti Pot, Marcy, and take some zinc (even zinc lozenges will help).

I'm inside because after I started to work on my posts, the battery on my drill was dead. Grrrr. So I came inside to charge it, and read the gazillion emails I skipped this morning.

Neal, I have something really fun for your garden, in exchange for the quince!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6251828

Gardenwife I think Dawes would still have bloom. Mine are just really getting going - later ones are not open fully yet. So Dawes early ones might be on the downward side but with the weather we have had, they should bloom at least a month.

Marcy I agree with the Neti pot. I could not get the hang of the pot at all. Then they came out with a bottle. My asthma Dr. gave it to me. It is easier. You can buy at any drug store. Neilmed brand, "Sinus Rinse." you can also use sea salt instead of the packets- I think maybe you add abut of baking soda? I just buy the packets because I have forgotten the recipe for mixing it up LOL

I use the Neilmed saline nasal spray all winter too. I have a hard time with sinus infections. I started taking sea kelp a year or so ago ( doctor order) and it has helped. He also had me take a series of immune boosting shots that helped.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6252031

Hey thanks Darius and Jules. I will go look for both! I am willing to try most anything right now!
I know my dr wont give antibiotics if there is no fever...and quite right...since they dont work...so dont want to waste his time and my time and money going in there...for him to tell me I have a sinus infection! I already know that!
Thanks again. I'm going to the drugstore!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6252111

I second Jules' recommendation of the NeilMed sinus wash. Mine came with the packets and I'm nearing the end of mine. If they're anything like the Sinucleanse packets, it's just a 4:1 ratio of canning & pickling salt and baking soda. Don't quote me on that, but it sounds like what I did before. The pickling salt dissolves easily in warm water. Sinus washing has been a lifesaver for me!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6252514

Marcy, since I killed all those rose cuttings last year, perhaps when you're doing spring pruning you could save me some cuttings. Dormant old wood cuttings are considered by many the best to root.

Darius, I love surprises!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6252524

Sure Neal...I can do that!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6252623

Hmmm, I wonder if that goes for any dormant old wood cuttings? I took off 2-3 branches damaged by the tree fall, from my black currants.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6252714

Darius, that got me wondering and I did some googling. Sounds like this is the time to take cuttings. One site recommended 1yr old woody cuttings with 3/4 of the cutting under the ground or rooting media. It said to expect about a 50% success rate, if done correctly. Some also mentioned layering.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6252792

Well, that eliminates rooting my currant cuttings! Next year I want to learn some grafting... I don't think I have time this year.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6252870

Well, you could just stick em in the ground somewhere and see if anything happens. Nothing to lose that way, and you could get a surprise.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6253250

I had already stuck them in some water...

But speaking of cuttings and such... I have some sprouts coming up about 2 feet from the main clumps of lilacs. I don't even know what color... they were here (and old/overgrown) when I moved in, and never bloomed. Last year I cut them back almost to the ground and now they are growing nicely. I can try and rescue a few if anyone wants me to bring them to the RU...

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 7:04 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6253515

you all have been busy !
His teeth are the baby teeth whew. Just really swollen his lips and gums. Took him to the dentist this morning and he will be just fine. He did tear his little skin thingy that connects the gum and lips . His two front teeth are really loose but may tighten up. He should be fine. Poor kid stairs and him don't get along sheesh . two months ago he fell down them on his tummy like a penguin LOL wasn't funny at the time but as i think of it , kinda funny. LOL
Jules thanks for the pic. I love peonies. Good to know on the growth is still to come . :) (((( hugs)))
speaking of roses. My parents have rose bushes , that are older than i m !!! i will see if my dad can get some pics when they bloom , they are very pretty. Don't know the name of them.
good night everyone
bless you all
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6253675

Ok Jules. I got the spray bottle, and have used it once. It did feel good...and lessened the pressure...but imagine it will take a couple of rounds for it to do some good. Darius, I also got zinc capsules to take...and some zinc losenges. Hoping to be better soon!!
Thanks again for the info!
So Neal...should I trim the rose cuttings now...while they are dormant??? Or wait until they start to bud out?
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6253821

Marcy, I think the idea is that the saline makes the inside of the nasal passages inhospitable to the infection cells. Zinc, I believe, works in a similar way, but full body.plus, the rinse washes all the nasty stuff out so it can't keep multiplying. My allergy/asthma doc is a firm believer in the nasal rinses. Twice a day when sick, once a day if not. You can YouTube neti pot, or nasal rinse and see how to do it or get helpful hints. I had a terrible time not drowning myself till I saw a few YouTube videos on it. Gross but explains better to see it done!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6253855

Marcy, you might want to repeat the process again after about a half hour. That will give the stuff a chance to loosen up a bit in the sinuses. I irrigate, then do it again once I'm in the shower and have been breathing in steam.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6254195

Evening everybody, I too second the suggestion of the Netti pot, bought one this year, and have only had one sinus infection, and it was prior to using the Netti pot. When you get used to using it, you will be able to tell how often you need to use it.

I was just so glad to see the fairy rose in such good shape, honestly it looked sick most of the summer, and I didn't have any high hopes that it would survive the winter, but it is looking better than any of the other roses.

I have peony's that are breaking ground. I have one that is earlier by a couple of weeks than several others. The later ones, are not showing any of the ruby red color of the shoots yet, but they are so pretty, and want to get some more this fall to plant.

After walking around and looking at things, I just realized that a huge patch of daffys are not there, I hope they are just slow in showing any foliage, if not, suspect that moles had a banquet this winter, and ate them all.

I did a google search to see what small poppy sprouts look like, so that I can begin watching to see if my New Year's Day sowing was successful.

Since it is cold and windy again, I am going to do some seeding of tomatoes tomorrow. A good indoor activity.

I had doors and windows open yesterday afternoon, and it was so nice. Another story when I got up this morning. I don't think we had much rain, but the ground was wet. DH was happy, because he planted onions and peas yesterday afternoon. Said the garden worked well, and he is itching to get the season underway.

Going to check my email, and then hopefully off to bed earlier tonight.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6254292

I just have to chime in on the nasal rinse. My ENT also endorses the sinus rinse. I never heard of a neti pot until this year. I use the bottle. I agree use it at least 2 times a day if sick 1 time if well. It is amazing. I have had surgery and many infections both before and after surgery. It was chronic for me for many years. I do much better now. Thanks to my rinse bottle and the prayer of my pastor one night about 5 years ago over the phone.

Hope the little guy's mouth does not stay sore for long. That is one bad place to hurt.

Good night all
Veronica
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6254390

Hey everybody. In case you were wondering I'm still kicking up here. Just so dang busy. Never thought things would take off like they have.

Wanted to say Happy Birthday to Ric...sorry it's belated but that's about my speed these days. I would be surprised to get it within a week these days. Many many blessings to you my friend.

Sorry about the baby's teeth Sue, and take care of yourself Sweetie.

Take care of your sinuses everybody. The way the weather is changing nowadays is wreaking havoc on mine I know.

I am just now finally finished with today's paperwork so I have a serious appointment with the insides of my eyelids.

Love and many kisses to all and even if I didn't mention ya, I still love ya too!

T/O
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6254554

Thanks Kimberley. I'll do that!
Oh and Bonnie...wasn't moles that ate your daffies...had to be voles...meadow mice. Voles are meat eaters..not vegetation. I think that is what happened to my snowdrops too. The voles got them. Man I despise those things!!! And my cat thinks they are toys!

Heading for the bed...good night all...sweet dreams!!!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6254875

ummmm, voles aren't meat eaters...
"Depending on the species, the vole's diet consists of seeds, tubers, conifer needles, bark, various green vegetation such as grass and clover, and insects. Some species will die, however, if deprived from their main meal, Douglas Fir Needles, for too long."
moles...
"A mole's diet primarily consists of earthworms and other small invertebrates found in the soil. The mole may also occasionally catch small mice at the entrance to its burrow."

so confusing, why'd 'they' pick names so similar? just to drive small brains like mine crazeeeee? lol
(back to lurking)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6255164

Aren't Daffs poisonous?

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6255505

daffs are poisonous ?
is there a cemetary that is famous for their daffs ? they call it daffodil hill ? i saw that on the news some years back , its here in OH.
wish i could remember , might have to google it . :)
I wish my Dh would do the netti pot, can't convince him of anything. LOL sheesh.
I had something dig up a few of my bulbs ? but didn't eat them ? grrrrr if your going to dig them up , EAT THEM . spare me the misery . LOL
T/O wishing you well on this adventure of your and am glad its going well for you. Take care of yourself too ! T&P and ((()))
Bonnie one can never have enough peonies. ? can we ? LOL
Austin teeth are ok , his swelling has gone down. He is eating soft foods. pudding ,soup and eggs.
take care and have a great day
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6255576

Got my pond kit!!! Doing the happy dance here!

Hey...where's Velnita?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6255651

'Morning... overcast and downright chilly! Looks like it will only warm up about 3 or 4 degrees today, and snow is in the forecast for tonight. I need some hardware for my trellis so I may go up to Lowe's this morning while I'm waiting for it to warm up a teensy bit.

I know most of y'all don't hang out on the Sustainability forum, but... there's a thread over there about the shortage of phosphorus, the P in NPK. Phosphorus is in finite supply world-wide, and rock phosphate went up 700% last year. The gal who started the thread noticed Walmart's NPK is only NK this year (ead the fine print!), and her local supplier was out of P by itself. I don't buy bagged compound chemical fertilizers so I haven't checked here.

I use CalPhos, because it's the best form for my plants' uptake. (Soft Rock Phosphate coupled with Calcium.) MY supplier (150 miles away) is out! I'm afraid it will be even worse next year with the increase in home vegetable gardens.

Later, taters...
valrita

March 12, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6255843

Good morning everyone! I'm still here lurking. Still looking for work. Daffy bulbs are poking their noses up and Iris reticulata is blooming. Impatiently waiting for spring.

I'd like to add some plants for butterflies and hummingbirds but the spot that I have only gets 4 or 5 hours of sun a day. In more sunny spots, I'll have Tithonia 'Torch' and 'Fiesta del Sol', zinnias, and perennial salvias. I also have butterfly weed, aster and garden phlox. Any ideas what else I can add? With my tiny yard, I can't have anything invasive. Fragrance would be a major plus. I need things that I can start from seed since money is scarce.

Iris reticulata 'Harmony'

Thumbnail by valrita

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6255938

Hey velnita! Good to "see" ya. I've got everything you listed planned for my butterfly/hummer garden too, the Tithonias were about the #1 favorite of the critters last year. You may want to try some Dill and/or Bronze Fennel, not only pretty and tasty, but great host plants for Black Swallowtails. Both reseed, but not aggressively. Annual Salvia coccinea (Hummingbird Sage) is a good one. Liatris, Thai Basil, and Agastache 'Honey bee blue' were popular among the butterflies too.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6255953

Hey everyone!
Hi Kooger! Thanks for catching my mistake! I certainly meant moles are meat eaters...and voles eat vegetation. My excuse? It was late here...and I was tired...LOL!!
Yeah Ric...Daffies are poisonous...so how's come they didn't kill the voles?????????
I know...the voles didn't eat them! Well then...what DID eat them?????? Decisions, decisions!!

HI Velnita!! Good to see you posting here again! Sorry, I can't think of anything to tell you for your gardens...hmmmm..petunias maybe? Some of them are fragrant. Kinda late to start from seed though I think.

Well...not much going on here today. Think I will try my new mixer blade out. Dave finally got the adjustment done to the mixer...I tried...and couldn't even turn the screw head...geesh!! Of course, I don't think it had ever been moved.
Later all.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6255969

I knew you knew what you meant! LOL It was a typo.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6256977

Howdy! Checking in!

All is well, just busy. LOL I posted a couple of new pics on the birth thread. Thanks to Dusty for starting it. :)

Hubby is on the way home from an interview! YAY! Who knows when we'll hear anything??

He ran out on me for several hours yesterday to help the neighbor so Maddie and I have been busy sorting through and reorganizing baby stuff while catching up on laundry and cleaning. Everyone at DG blessed us so heavily, it's hard not to be amazed!

Y'all have a great day!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6257152

Praying for good news to come from Craig's interview.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6257192

Break time, but not voluntarily... we are having a spate of sleet. It will pass soon, by the looks of the sky, and I can get back to digging raspberries.

I did my hardware run earlier, and picked up a few hand tools too. Mine always seem to go missing... probably because my sister's tools are all out in the barn in boxes, and mine are in the house or the shed. I'm gonna change the lock code on the shed!!

Chele, I'll have to mosey over and peek at the new baby pics. He's so cute! (But I never saw a baby I didn't think was cute, at least for a few days.) Crossing my fingers for Craig.

Laura, Good to see you posting here! I miss you, gal. If you have a phone again, dmail/email me the #?

Velnita... I used to have some iris reticulata... wonder where they went? Cute flowers.

Back to work...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6257970

hey gang
velnita , good to see you. :)
we started cleaning up the back 40 today. tomorrow we get a 20 yrd dumpster. !
Some people just throw nice things away. sheesh. tupperwear, beer cans ( recycle duh ) we think it was a fridge or a dishwasher ? but lots of carpet, thankfully no bodies ! cuz we did find a shoe. yikes.
we got lots more to do for garbage duty.
that is our excitment cleaning up junk
Chelle praying for good news for Craig.
darius didn't know that on the phosophate , interesting.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6258078

You are more than welcome Michele...since we were already near 200 on the coffee house thread I didn't want people posting here and you having to wade through it...and by the looks of the number of Baby Thread Posts, it was a darn good thing ... ROFLLLL
I showed Cookie my bag of sage and sweetgrass and sacred tobacco tonight when she came over to witness my **Coming Down** party...
LOTS of it is burning for Craig tonight...I know Creator has a plan, but He seems to work in Indian time...Slowly but surely...

All of us Family here on the ORVG as well as many others, were blessed by the birth of your beautiful son...It always gives hope that life goes on, no matter what else is going on, so with his arrival, I am confident that Creator will provide a way for his Daddy to see that he is well cared for...
Sometimes we need a rude awakening to see the things that are really important in our lives, and those that we do not need...I have been through that several times...It isn't pleasant, but I did not have 6 children to support either, unless you count my 4 legged ones...

You all have my prayers in the Smoke daily...It will happen for you, and soon, I am sure of it ...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6258091

And now I would like to post a sort of before and after of todays project on our beautiful home...
A little background here is.. The single door in the pics already has a replacement in the garage waiting for less frigid weather...the sliders will be replaced with french doors, and the new siding for that whole side is in the garage waiting for better weather...I missed the entire before pics, and I'm sorry... but ...there was a 10x12 aluminum canopy on the back corner that poured more water than my antique collander does...It was already down before I got these next couple of shots...
This is a before minus the aluminum canopy...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6258100

This is a shot of why it is coming down...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6258108

And this is it blessedly GONE!!! more yet to do, but the worst is over...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6258177

Here is a long shot of most of the wall...This mess was here when Cookie and Bro bought this house, and this damage was going on then under the aluminum soffit that no one could see...at least 10 to 12 years worth...thanks to whoever built it onto the house and not getting it drained properly...
I found evidence when I was painting the front hallway, and told Bro it needed to be checked...I checked it myself in the meantime, and then told him I needed him here as soon as weather permitted to get it off of the house...Done deal...Today was the day, and Cookie got home just in time to come watch the Coming Down and celebrate with me...She said it made her sad, and I told her NO SAD...this is a Joy, as this is the way the house originally was...
Now it can be restored to its original health, and Creators light can come in through the windows...

That last piece over the sliders will go too, when they come back for the cleanup party...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6258715

Well, I didn't do squat today, didn't have much energy,so I took a sick day, and piddled all day.

The only productive thing I did was to make Chicken Cordon Bleu for supper, and my was it good.

The guy who is doing the electric to my garden shed came today, to see what all he needed to do it, and DH will go get the materials, and he will do it this weekend if the weather is decent.

Dusty, looking good. I know that you will have it all whipped into shape in short order.

Chele, great news about Craig's interview, and I sure will be sending prayers heavenward for him.

Sue why is all the junk on your property? Did you buy land that was already cluttered with it? That is a job, hope you get it all cleaned up soon.

Janet, DH planted peas today. He plowed the garden on Friday, and said it worked good, so was wondering if you had planted anything? He will get anxious and I will have to hide the garden seed so that he doesn't jump the gun and try to plant anything else too early.

Darius we didn't have any kind of percipitation today, but it has been cold. Hope that you were able to accompish what you needed to do.

Marcy, I knew what you were trying to say, but either way, I know my daffies are not there, I have a few, but I had scads of them, and only see a few with foliage coming through the ground. Gonna have to put those critter dogs on short ration if they are slacking in catching moles/voles, that is what they do. Yesterday DH came in, and he was sort of aggravated, he has seen a rabbit running through the yard all winter, and one of the dogs caught it and killed it. Not a good thing for a rabbit dog to do!! They are just supposed to sniff them out, and jump them so the hunter can shoot them. I told DH that from the rabbit's perspective it didn't make much difference, he was gonna be dead either way.

Well, going to check some other threads, and hope I can have a good night's sleep.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6259122

darius - that's why I lurk in ORVG -cuz I miss YOU!! :)
dmail coming...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6259348

Evening, Folks... I'm a tired puppy and STILL didn't get all the raspberries moved. I thought there were about 25 left... well, I moved that many and still have 18 to go. (This time I counted.) The weather just wore me out... my age had nothing to do with it. Yeah, right. The weather doesn't look too good to finish them tomorrow, either. And, I didn't get the $%^&* onions planted. I doubt I could have stooped over enough to plant them anyway.

I tried a new side dish with my supper. Birds Eye Savory Brussels Sprouts. Man, they were good! ..."brussels sprouts in a tarragon infused butter with bacon and a touch of brown sugar". They come ready to microwave/steam but can also be done on the stovetop... good thing because I won't use a microwave.

A tad of positive news on the home front: my sister goes back to work full time next Wednesday, same company, where they had cut her to 2 days a week recently.

Well, I got some new books (mostly garden) from the library so I'm off to read until I fall asleep which may be soon!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6259492

Thanks Bons, but that was not my doing...Bro Bill showed up with the Kubota today and had that aluminum section down in less than 15 minutes...They had to Sawzall the rest off, but thankfully it is down...
I am so grateful to have it done before the rains start this Spring...
I know it makes Cookie sad to see it go but, it was not put up right to begin with, long before they bought this house...Problems were growing then that no one knew about, but it's over with now...
I am rejoicing with the blessed daylight coming in to the house, and knowing there will be no more water damage helped along by alot of Grackle damage...

I went out a bit ago and sat on the sistern cover and just admired...
This is such a beautiful home...and I am sooo blessed to be here under its roof...I can't wait to get the arbor up by the pond so I can get Marcys swing up and get my firepit built...There will be peace in my soul at last...

I just want to clarify for any lurkers...that Cookie(JoyceT) and I are one with each other...I may beat up on her occasionally here...and in person when given the opportunity :-)))) which is becoming more often...:-)))))) But I love her with all of my heart and soul...She is way younger than I, so therefore the Baby Sister, so therefore I am allowed to abuse her...
Snickers...

Be at Peace this night...The Smoke has been sent ...
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 13, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6260500

Bonnie, so far I've gotten the peas and about 10 bags of onion sets in the ground. I wanted to get the beets, carrots and lettuce in but we ran out of daylight on Monday. I've had to put all this at my parents place at Finchville as their ground always seems to be about 3-4 days ahead of mine drying out. It was still too wet to plow at Harrisonville this week. I may end up with most of my summer stuff planted there and my spring stuff at Dad's. DH's looking at putting the tomatoes and possibly all the beans on plastic this year. We've never done it before but if it makes my life easier he can proceed.

Dusty, looks like you'll have things taken care of and put to rights in no time flat.

Darius, when you get done at your house I could use you for a week or two. The pays practically non existant but I could probably give you decent meals.

Sue, you have my sympathy. When we bought our place we knew the folks before us were slobs, even worse than I am, but I had no idea until I started mowing off stuff. If a piece of equipment broke they just left it in the field. Our county has "metal days" where you can bring your junk and they will recycle it. So far we've carted 5 20ft flatbeds of "stuff" up there. An old baler, running gear, cattle racks, freezers, vaccum pumps, iceboxes, bicycles...Then there were the tires. On tire amnesty day we hauled off almost a hundred of the darned things. My house might not be done but it sure isn't as junky as is used to be around there. At least we can mow hay now and not worry about wrapping barbed wire in the haybine and disc mower.

Waving hi to all! Have a good one.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6260601

KY wow . That is alot of junk. ! I can't understand why people do that ? just leave junk around. But i guess it goes with country living LOL ? Im just glad there are no cars back there. LOL
looking good Dusty !
darius that supper sounded pretty yummy ! anything with brown sugar is good IMHO :)
well cold here at 19 ! brrrr come on Mother Nature time to wake up and get warm !
i got some of my Gh supplies and they are the wrong stuff ! grrrr. They sent me the wrong door . Sent me a zipper hatch ! I m 5'10" how am i going to get through a zipper hatch ! ? i ask you LOL
Bonnie yes we just inherited the junk . When you have woods , people dump stuff . :(
off to get busy
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6260849

Mornin', Folks... rainy day here, and chilly.

I awakened to hear "Rock Around the Clock" coming from the TV... I must have fallen asleep with the TV on during one of my awake sessions in the night. So, I watched the 7 AM movie, a very old favorite with Glen Ford and Sidney Poitier, Blackboard Jungle. Poitier's breakout role was as a member of an incorrigible high school class in the 1955 film. Poitier is listed way down in the credits, like # 9 or so... I can remember really wanting to see the movie as a kid, and I badgered my mother until she took me to see it. Surprisingly, she enjoyed it. Anyway, a great memory, and a nice way to start a yucky day.

Dusty, you have a big project, and it's looking good already! I hate the lack of light in this house, but at least my library is somewhat bright. Every other room is a dungeon.

Junk: The place my mother and step-father bought had a lot of junk,,, not quite 5 flat-bed loads, but at least 3 dump truck loads. The creek was full of old bed springs, who knows what else, and a zillion empty food cans. The house was even nastier! A neighbor said she didn't know how that woman (who had lived there) dressed her kids for school, she must have dressed them outside. The house was at the bottom of 2 deep swales, and when it rained, they would open both the back door and the front door, and just let the water run through... My step-father virtually re-built the house although it was still a very small country cottage.

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6261301

Hey Bonnie, Joel always says that you don't want a rabbit dog that is too fast. They need to be just fast enough to keep the rabbit moving but not so fast as to be able to catch it. So either the dog is too fast or the rabbit was too slow or inexperienced

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6261314

hey quick question
do zinnias,okra and cosmos transplant well ?
darius glad your sis is getting to work full time again .what a relief ! don't hear to much on people getting to work full time anymore do we ?
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 13, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6261434

Sue, they will but they grow so well direct seeded unless I just had tons and tons of GH space I wouldn't bother. Okra planted too early will just sit there and not grow until it starts getting hot anyway...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6261523

Just popping in to say a big 'Thank you!' to Dusty and others who enlightened me that I am eligible for VA medical care, even without a service-connected disability. I just had my first appt. and they drew blood and will mail me appointments for neuro, eye, and female exams. I feel a bit more hopeful and a lot less afraid of being without insurance. Especially after my $3,000 ER vist on Feb 25th, when I had temporary amnesia issues. Evidently I called my mother on my cell phone after walking down a road on our property, which I've walked hundreds of times, and didn't know where I was.

I don't remember the trip to the hospital (Dad took me), or the blood draw or the CT scan, and the phone call I made to a friend, and a few other things about that event. It sucks being drain bamaged...
valrita

March 13, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6261637

Thanks for the ideas to attract butterflies. I ordered the fennel and I'm checking into the other things now.

Hauling away all that trash sounds like hard work. I've never understood why people would dump stuff like that.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6261692

Hey Jazz! How ya doin'? Long time no "see", LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6261952

Good Going Renee` !!!! I am so glad you went...Once you are assigned to a Prime care Doc, you are on your way...and if you don't LIKE that Doc, you can ask for a transfer to another one...Jim has a really good one here at the new clinic...unlike that joker at Dayton that conveniently forgot to order the tests the surgeon needed for his back surgery and held him up another 7 months...Grrrrrrrrr!!!
I would have told you a long time ago had I known you had no insurance...
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6262595

Hey Neal!! :) I have been so crazy busy that I haven't even been able to LURK! Lots going on that I have no idea about but hey it's feeling like Spring and things are popping out of the ground and I am loving it! :) Waving at everyone!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6262913

Thank you KY. I will do that . GOod to know on the okra. I know the like it hot !
velnita I know the butterflies always like coneflower and sunflowers.
SO did the beetles too :(
not much here
we are trying to figure out this silly nintendo. New games uhg.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6262948

Neal, did you say you were planting things in your leach field? We have a black puddle in the middle of our woods, and it's really gross, but I thought maybe some bog plants would like it. It's in the shade, though. And I'd wear long rubber gloves and boots, lol. Any suggestions?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6263740

Good evening, I spent the day seeding some annual flower seeds. I will get the tomato seeds going over the weekend, or if it turns really busy, by Monday. The electrician is coming over the weekend to wire my garden shed and then I will have heat and lights out there which will make it a lot easier to keep the trays out there, and not have to try to find space in the house to keep them until the weather warms up.

I am trying to exercise restraint in going out and getting everything all cleaned up, and ready for warm weather, as I know we will have more cold and frost, possibly even snow, and I slapped my hands when they typed that.

Hey Jazz, tell Joel that DH didn't realized he had any dogs fast enough to catch a rabbit. How are your puppies doing? DH is taking ours out and "practicing" with them, and he is very pleased with what he is seeing. You probably didn't get a chance to read, but we had another litter of 9, who have all found great homes. Miss Mama, and Bella will be having surgery in April to stop the annual litters!! Bout time.

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
6:50 AM

Post #6264569

Hey! to all,
I'm having a relative flurry of activity around here--- went to Funke's Greenhouse today(they're selling off lots of stuff) & picked up a little mini- greenhouse with heavy plastic cover, plus a big jug of liquid fence concentrate, plus some fertilizer & stuff. I remembered reading Darius' comment about phosphorus & grabbed a couple bags of that.
My seed order had gotten lost in the mail so, having finally arrived, I'm trying to decide if I should start it in the flats or just apply directly to the garden. I got a notice that the deer fence garden-sized enclosure will be arriving Tuesday via UPS. Of course, that's the only day this week I'm going to be gone, as I'll be picking out hearing aids---YUCK! I have spent so much of my life in braces-- back brace age 11-17, teeth braces for 3 years after that, knee braces twice for a bit over a year, another year for another back brace after the fusion surgery, & now I'm going to have appliances in both ears. Grrrr.
I'll try & work up some gratitude by Tuesday. I hope the weather will be good enough to get the enclosure situated & plowed up.
I spent much of the day trying to de-catalog my house. I've gone to catalog choice.com to try & get delivery stopped on most of them, but it's not working so far! If I was a homesteader, I could make a 2000 sq. ft. house with catalog walls!
At least I wouldn't lack for reading material ;-)

Sue, have you thought about lantana for your butterfly garden? I honestly can't remember if it's fragrant or not- but they love it, & it's a really easy one to grow & care for-- i.e. stick it in the ground. Comes in a gazillion colors, too.

I can't sleep because I have the hiccups. *&*%#$##

Everybody take care & have a wunderbar weekend.
Pat
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
9:46 AM

Post #6264660

Renee, a few plants come to mind, Astilbe, Aruncus, Cimicifuga, Filipendula, Comphrey, and possibly some irises depending on how deep the shade is. Is the wet spot natural or from septic or house run off?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
10:40 AM

Post #6264707

Yesterday was a busy day for me. After exercising, I went to two banks, Tractor Supply, Sam's Club, stopped at the pond and patio place on 48, stopped at Grandma's Garden (had to turn around cause I didn't see the Spring Preview sign until I was already past it) and fed our friends 3 doxies.

Dropped some stuff off for Dusty, unloaded the stuff I got at Sam's and took the car back to Dusty so she could make a smoke run. Walked in her door, yelled, I'm back! Boo came to great me, then Chooch, but no one else, so I quietly made my exit.

Made an apple pie (OH, that's SO good on my diet) from apples that our future DIL gave us, popped a pizza from Sam's in the oven and hit the couch. I was plumb tuckered out!

Today the plan is to go get the liner and the rocks. I'm hoping Dusty will let me have my husband for a little while... :OP

I want Bill to go to Bertie's to see her Savio pump/waterfall box. The one with the kit is just like hers, so he will see how it looks when it's put together.

I had a nice thing happen to me. I had ordered some hellebores from a coop and paid for them through paypal. Well, they refunded the paypal money for some kind of problem and asked everyone to send a check. Well, I was able to do it cause it went on a credit card and didn't come from the checking account, so I said I had to drop out. I was notified that an "angel" had paid for my order and I would still get it. I was FLOORED! I don't think I even know anyone else on there! Wow, the kindness of strangers...

Oh I forgot about my last stop yesterday. I stopped at an ex-bosses house that used to have 800 gallons of saltwater tanks in his house. He sold invertibrate pieces to the Saltwater Warehouse and when I was there last with Dusty, John told me that he had gotten rid of his tanks and had adopted a little boy. When I was separated from my job with him he had two golden retrievers. They were really, really light gold. When I stopped yesterday, there were 7 of them in his fenced in back yard and 5 of the 7 were white. They were beautiful! Most of them were from Europe. Spain and Ireland come to mind right off, can't remember what he said about the rest of them. They were so beautiful.

They did adopt a little 3 year old boy from Jamaica. That was in September. I didn't get to meet him cause he was at Daycare. They had lost a granddaughter many years ago and his wife just never got over it. He said she's really happy now.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #6264710

Joyce, how did you prepare the doxies, stuffed and roasted, LOL. Hope your friends enjoyed them! And apple pie for dessert, you're such the hostess! That's wonderful about the co op, lots of DG angels around here :-)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6264736

You're right Neal!! Lots of angels.

Funny...one of the the little dogs just got 12 teeth pulled. She's a trooper though...she didn't like the soft food they gave her, so she went back to the Iams.. She just gums it until it's soft enough!

Daggumit...I thought I had that bold fixed!!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6264845

Hey Jazz, You better get a pen together. I just bought 2 phoenix hens and the rooster is on the way. Your daughter can have her phoenix chickens now!
George
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6264895

Neal that was MY first thought.
My guess would have been grilled and on a bun...plenty of Ballpark Mustard.
But Joyce's grill is gone.

We're heading for Dayton...'Creek to be exact... here in about a half hour.
They 'buyer' of Robyn's parent's house low balled them to the extreme.
So we're going to do a damage/repair survey and probably some tear-down.
Then at 7 PM... MAN that will be late!... we're having Dad's 90th Birthday party.
It's actually not till St Padraig's Day but...
So it's off to load up the tools.

Here's some 'Royal Heritage' Hellebores.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6264910

Guess I should have placed a " ' " after that friends! Hot Dog!

Wow, Ric, my hellebores aren't nearly that far along. Are those in a protected space? I'm jealous!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6264937

Ric, warped minds do think alike!

Joyce, it wouldn't have mattered, I always see the flip side. When I read "man eating shark", I envision a man eating a shark, or "man eating hamburgers"..being attacked by hamburgers like Piranha, LOL.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6264938

LOL... when someone would say "I had friends over for dinner", my favorite aunt would always ask if they were tasty!

Ric, there are lots of buzzards out there now trying to negotiate home purchases for a song, taking advantage of folks caught in a vise. I guess those birds will be millionaires someday soon... Sorry one landed in Robyn's court.

Lots I want to do today but the weather isn't cooperative. Sigh.

Y'all have a good day, hope it's nicer where you are...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6264958

We tried to get them to sell the house 5 years ago...but...
There's no hurry now we keep saying...but...lol!

Ric

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6265100

Stop by here on yer way Bro...
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6265286

Funny about the "doxies" I could not understand what doxies are. Had to keep reading lol. Something may have happened to my brain as I cut my finger pretty bad day before yesterday with a scissors. Was cutting some braid for a decorating project; hard to cut; picked up braid with hand out came a piece of my finger. Hard to type. Can't in dirt. Don't like it.

edited to say

Can't play in dirt.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 10:42 AM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6265914

Neal, I looked up some info on leach fields, and as it turns out, if you have standing water on your leach field, something's wrong with your septic system. I didn't know that--my Dad seems to think that's normal, as I told him about it and he seemed unconcerned. It's probably the tree roots causing the problem. I'm thinking it may have to be dug up, so no planting would be safe, anyway. Sheesh...Thanks for good suggestions for other (normal) moist, shady areas here. We have lots of those!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6266462

Hey does anyone know what it means when your digital camera says " this card cannot be used " ? so i tried to use my card reader to download my pics , computer says " the disc you inserted was not readable by this comp " ? i m really bummed . I took a bunch of pics and then all this stuff happened ? hmm weird ?
Neal and Ric to funny on the dog eating LOL "man eating shark " LOL
Nice looking hellabores.
Ouch Indynannyof8 scissors hurt ! i have done that a bunch of times scrap booking.
Good to see you Geo ! how are things ?
Goshmom no i didn't think of Lantana ! that sounds like it would work . Thanks for the tip :)
I did a stupid thing today. T asked me if i wanted my old sink . I said no go ahead toss it in , duh !!!! i could have used it for a planter !!
duh . to late :(
well off to feed myself
ttyl
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6266488

Dusty - I hope you enjoy that lettuce mix I sent to you. I love ordering from Pinetree Gardens. I have grown their lettuce mix for years and years.

Anyone who does not get their catalog, I do recommend them.
[HYPERLINK@www.superseeds.com]
My Mom LOVES sweet peas. I have been buying all their different sweet peas for her since she's been living with me - 15 years now. Have great luck with them. I just push them into the soil under a fence I have that keeps my asparagus from flopping into my daylilies and don't do anything else but pick them when they bloom.

Also buy my Sweet Success cucumber seeds from them every year, and my sugar pod peas. That's about it for me except tomatoes - and I buy plants locally for those. I always buy seeds from Pinetree though. It's a smaller company, and I like the way a real person answers the phone, who actually does many things - not just a telephone person - a real gardener too, who you can ask questions of, and they know a tomato from a hole in the ground...

They say about their lettuce mix... "We have been experimenting with various Mesclun Mixes from France and Italy and you will find these in the ethnic vegetable sections. We see a number of advantages to mixing greens: you get a variety of colors, textures, tastes and maturation times from the same planting. This mix has a uniquely American twist, however; they are all leaf lettuces and all sweet varieties. You won't get anything bitter or spicy. The mix will contain all the looseleaf varieties in the catalog and nearly a dozen others. Our reasoning must have struck the right note. This has become our best selling item and we continue to receive hundreds of compliments on it. "

My Aunt makes a sweet sour german dressing that we like to use on it. It can also be heated and used to wilt it. Love this mix wilted! Ummm ... can use any hot spinach salad type dressing with it.

I always buy a few extra packs to give away. I plant it spring and again in September. We usually eat the last of it for Thanksgiving dinner. I wish I had a cold frame - we might be able to eat it all year long! LOL

I always try to plant it "not to thick" but it always ends up to thick -- (smile) anyway, we pull up the thinnings to eat for the first couple weeks harvest. Then, we just pinch off leaves or cut here and there, and let it regrow. Keeps going for quite a long time that way. I have never grown it out into heads, like they would on the Victory Garden, in nice neat rows, a foot apart! Ha! Mine is in a dense carpet bed, usually 3 feet wide, so I can reach the center from both sides, and 8 feet long.

I even use a photo of some of it as a screen saver --- it is beautiful! LOL

I HAVE CROCUS BLOOMING!!! and Hellebores! Only a couple hellebores - but signs of buds on all. Some are later blooming than others.

Joycet - some of those from me are probably later blooming, because I usually go to Curt's in April - and they would have been in bloom when I picked them out. If they were early bloomers, they would have been done when I was there... So they may still send up buds...

Well, I best get busy! Can't believe it's this late and I have not done much of any account yet.

Waving to all --- hey Jazzy -- great to see you here again!

Jules

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6266531

Jules i m so sorry about all the pain . Yes that is a tough choice to make . You will be in my thoughts . Dont worry about going on and on with us. We are hear for you . That is a tough choice to make .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6266536

Wow, nice to see a long and detailed garden post! Thanks for the information, Jules. I think I got their catalog...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6266557

Sue, thanks. I thought it was to depressing, and I went back and edited it out.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6266619

Oh Geesh...I didn't know who was going crazy...Sue or me...

anyway...

We're baaaccckkkk! What a fun morning! Well, least it was for me.

We made a dent in the pile but some were just to huge to move. The ole Kubota just couldn't hack the big ones. Pictures to come.

Bertie and Herb came along and pulled the other trailer for us. If they hadn't of come, I would only have had maybe 5 rocks, cause the Kubota took up so much room. Now we have a really nice amount.

I was pleased when we unrolled the liner and I'm even more pleased now that I measured it with a 25' measuring tape. It is 25x36. So I'm thinking I'll make the pond 18x20 and still have plenty for the waterfall and to make it as deep as I want it. It will NOT be easy to move when the time comes. Tony and Bill are rolling it back up right now.

Here is a picture of the liner unrolled in the yard,,,

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009

Post #6266625

Here's a picture of the lady next door playing in the waterfall..

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009

Post #6266627

Have to go back outside...forgot to take pictures of the rocks.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6266647

Jules..It wasn't depressing. It was helpful
Hope you don'r mind that I copied and pasted it
to an email to send to my sister-in-law.

I think there was some things in it that she needed to know.
She fell about 6 months ago and she broke her shoulder
They treated her shoulder and her wrist hurt also. They didn't treat her for that
Well about 2-3 months into the broken shoulder
They diagnosed her with rsd
Her shoulder and hand/fingers she could not use
Been going to therapy for about mabe 3 months

She can lift her arm about half way now
and her thumb and finger next to thumb
she can use a little bit now

She could tell you everything better than me.
I can't put words /stories together very well.

Pauletta

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6266676

Here is the first rock picture. Wish I had some way to show you how big that one sucker is.

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6266679

Here is the trailer that had most of the rocks on it. Good thing Herb has a 4x4!

Thumbnail by joycet

lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6266878

Wow what big rocks...
I love rocks

Pauletta

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6267017

Whooeee, what a lovely pile of rocks! Whatever you paid for them, you got a steal (unless it was over a thousand dollars). Rock here runs from $100 a ton for crappy looking rocks that won't stack or nestle, to several hundred a ton for decent rock.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6267063

Pauletta -- D-mail me if you want - I have had this a long time. I know of a really excellent forum for RSD, and if I know where she lives, may be able to point her to a good RSD doc. Also if she's in therapy, if they could be doing a lot more harm than good. RSD is a very strange disease. I would be more than happy to have her call me to talk. I have been through a lot of the treatments.

You guys were quick -- I only had that post on there for 5 minutes!!

LOL

Pauletta... I'd be happy to talk to YOU too... it will really affect her entire life. Will be hard for the family to understand. She is still early in RSD - still at a point where she can get considerably better if she gets to the right doctor. Is she anywhere near Ohio? Best doc I know of is at Cleveland Clinic. She treats people from all over the country.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6267180

It wasn't depressing at all. We are hear to listen :)
Pauletta i hope your SIL can learn from the post . Pain is nothing to fool around with . T&P to you guys. :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6268369

Evening folks, it was a leisurely day, had some errands to run, and hen just lazed around as it was raining all day, and nothing could be accomplished outside. Such is life.

We took DH's cousin out for dinner tonight to celebrate her birthday, and had a very good meal at Applebees. Avoided the dinner crowd too.

Joycet, you are making me so envious. I know that you will enjoy your pond, waterfall and the rocks when all in place. I know I was in awe of Berties, I want one so bad, but the money is just not here right now.

Jules, sorry I didn't catch your post, but don't feel that you are giving depressed information, we all will support you, and what ever you are going through.

I am so looking forward to this coming week, as the electrician didn't make it today because of the rain. The wiring has to be laid underground, and rain and the conditions we had today just were not conductive to work outside doing that.

About the leech field, yes, I wondered about the standing water, didn't sound good to me. Maybe some work needs to be done on the system before anything is planted there...

Good night folks, an early day for me in the morning, early church, and then DH and I are singing at another church at 11:00, then home for lunch, a chili fundraiser in the late afternoon, so it wil be a long day.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6268518

Well, Bonnie, I will be making payments on the pond, but getting it from Craig's list was a real bargain. Then when she threw the rocks in for free, it was a win, win situation! We left about half of them there. Just couldn't get the huge ones, and the trailer was pretty weighted down by that time, too.

Dusty is threatening stealing some with the wheelbarrow...I'd surely love to have a video of her trying to do that!!!

Okay, mind just won't settle down to sleep. I keep making the pond over and over in my mind now...but I guess I'll try again.

Night all!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6268597

I do know how to Hot wire that Kubota ya know... :-P
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6269027

Joyce & Dusty-- I know you guys are kidding, but at the last house I lived in, the lady that owned the house before me had made off with half of the neighbor's very unique stone fountain before she got caught. Even then, she told the fountain owner, "It didn't look like you were using them!" I heard this story after I'd bought the house, so I returned what was feasible & then went & got a load of beautiful Chilton steppers. I still miss them (sob).
Better keep an eye on that stone :-))
Pat

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6269617

Oh MY! Some people just don't use their heads! I don't know what Chilton steppers are, so I'm off to google!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6269632

Aw...love them...the different colors are neat!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6269887

I have always loved stone. One of my favorite books is In the Company of Stone http://www.amazon.com/Company-Stone-Art-Wall/dp/1579651836/ref=ed_oe_h Dan Snow does all his stone laid dry-stacked. Here's a photo scanned from his book... I'd love to build one for my garden someday!

Thumbnail by darius

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6270035

Oh Wow, Darius, that's FABULOUS!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6270064

Yeah, it's pretty cool, isn't it? It's hollow.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6270092

morning all
well you will not believe what i did ! i am so stupid.
had to go to the ER last night .
I had something in my eye , after about 3 hrs . It just got so red and painful. I was looking for my eye ointment , well put it in my eye. NOT EYE OINTMENT ! regular antibiotic ointment . WEnt to bed, woke up at 2 am with painful swollen eye shut.
dropped kids off at FIL and went to ER. Yeah they laughed at me too :(
DR was nice . But swelling to bad to see . THe flushed my eye out , sent me home with VICADIN ? ok ? and another ointment ( yes a real eye oinment) LOL
so i have to wait till monday to see an eye dr and see if he can find what was in my eye .
long night , sheesh.
Bonnie i like AppleBee's
darius nice pics of the stone work . I did enjoy that pic you posted
Pat what a crazy person taking all her stone LOL
wel got to go
eye is dripping with gook Ewwww
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6270112

Sue that sounds PAINFUL!

Well yesterday was a LOOOOONGGGGG one.
First off loading about our entire work shop's worth of tools...and 5 closet doors... then the 90 minute drive...
We spent about 3 hours measuring, banging, drilling and writing down a supplies list for the repairs to Robyn's Parent's House.
We had Dad's 90th Birthday Party at 7 PM and about 4 hours to kill by then.
So we decided to go ahead and start the kitchen demo.
That's always the toughest job.
Made tougher in this case by 50+ year old metal cabinets w/ a live gas pipe running though the base cabs. So no smash and haul here!
3 hours, 4 reciprocating saw blades, 3 cut and one smashed finger ...it was all hauled out.
MAN I hate flat blade old screws... no power tools... just hand cranking.
All the drywall under the base cabs will have to be torn down and replaced w/ Backer and we found old termite damage under a window.
That was expected.

The Birthday Party was a success. It took us 10 minutes to find Dad.
He slides around the place in his wheel chair and you never know where he'll be! LOL!
I'll get a picture up here sometime today.

Off to get some more supplies for the FPR... AFTER we unload the car.
It was after 10 PM when we got home... !

Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6270117

That is amazing! I love stone in the landscape. They're a readily available resource here, so more get incorporated every year.

Loving reading about what's going on in y'alls gardens too! Gives me good ideas and reminders. Of 14 varieties of Peppers I sowed, 10 are up. A big juggle for space under the lights is about to be needed again. Since the weather has been nasty, I've been organizing the chaos of the plant room- it's constant cycles of creating messes and getting them cleaned up at this time of year. Once I re-achieved order, I started a project of painting pots. I was inspired by this post:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6237290

I'm painting a bunch of pots, baskets, some plant stands, and parts of the deck (rails, posts, and built in benches) in similar bold colors. Have been looking up various methods of painting plastic and other materials, and loving the idea of bringing some life and use back to some of these ugly, faded plastic pots.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6270132

Wow Ric you sure had a day . Hauling tools is always a PITB . My parents had old metal cabinets from the 60's and they had a wall paper tyep stuff on them in the 60's orange and avocado green ick . ?
happy birthday to your dad wow 90 ! don't smash anymore fingers ! that hurts .

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6270196

That was a cool picture Neal!! It would surely wake you up in the morning!

Ric, you and Robyn will have that place finished in no time. You're pros now!
BertieL
Franklin, OH

March 15, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6270440

Cookie, Hubby and I went to Ihops for breakfast and he really liked the
whole wheat pancakes. He likes his syrup warm,so I ask them, after we had eaten, if they warmed the syrup and of course if you ask.
We'll be going back.
We went to Home Depot and got my dogwood and it is really nice. Got a white one as I already have two pink ones. You'll have to come over and see it.
Sue, honey is you had any luck at all it would be bad. Poor thing, I know that was a very painfull night. Hope you are feeling better today.
Bonnie, I am glad you enjoyed my pond on your visit to my house.
It is one of the most pleasurable things here to sit on the back porch in the evening and relax. Many a night I have fallen asleep out there and Hubby has to wake me up to go to bed.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009

Post #6270472

Well, hmph...I was waiting on a call from you to say you were going so we could go, too. Pouty face now!

I put the ticket in my pants pocket, so maybe I'll get by there today too. How was the selection?
BertieL
Franklin, OH

March 15, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6270577

Sorry about that ((((hugs)))). It was 9:30 before Hubby got up so I didn't know if he was going or not. Never know if he is in the mood or not.
They had 5 or 6, and they all were really nice. They will order one if they are out. Didn't really look around, just got my tree and ran.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6270632

Hey everyone...good afternoon!
Darius...I LOVE the rock picture!!! I so love rocks too!! Always have!!
And Neal...wow!!! That whole garden would surely get your attention immediately! That is great!!
I wanna see pictures of YOUR garden this year...after you get everything painted...lol!!
Sooooo...Joyce and Bertie...Lowe's has dogwood trees on sale????
Sue...how awful about your eye! I sure hope they find out what is in it? I'm sure that doesn't feel very good at all!
Well...got the sinus spray you all reccommended and while it feels good for a while, it sure isn't helping much? I guess I am going to have to break down and go to the dr?
I told Dave, maybe I am allergic to something???? But he keeps telling me about all these people that come into the store...saying this stuff lasts forever...like a month!...and that the antibiotics don't even phase it. I sure am sick of it. One minute I can breathe...the next...I am so stopped up , that I can't breathe through my nose at all!! And of course, that's especially at night!
Well...I think my 'cook' has my lunch ready...lol...so guess I better go eat it!
He is so good to me!
Have a great afternoon!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6270703

Marcy do you eat alot of things that contain corn ? amazing how much of our foods contain some kind of corn product . It could be a possibilty ?
I know when i quiet corn and processed foods 3 months ago. Im much less stuffed up , congested, flemy and nasal clear. Funny but i have read that corn is a highly allergic food . Worth a shot. ? I hope you can get some relief soon . That is not fun.
Im off to go outside. its to pretty and sunny.
O h i m hoping i don't have a peice of rusty metal in my eye, since we were doing all that moving garbage and rusty metal. It could have been in my hair and dropped in my eye later that night , Dr thinks ? who knows
hugs
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6270899

Neal, that photo in your link is so wonderfully colorful! I, too, will be waiting to see what you do with color. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6271151

Bertie fogot to mention
aint it the truth. Last week a dropped a stupid laptop on my foot , then my eye. Sheesh. can't take me anywhere.
T won't let me use a hammer either :(
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6271171

When Bertie and I went to the Cinci Home and Garden Show, we got our tickets at Home Depot. On the back of the ticket they offered 5 gal. dogwoods for $15.97. So we thought we needed one at that price! I left a nice sized one for Dusty, so I need another. The one I left for Dusty was just a baby whip when I planted it. The first year it bloomed I was sooooo excited!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6271385

I'm glad there are so many dogwood lovers on this list! I have a white one & my baby sis's "new" house has 6 or 7, in addition to a weeping cherry and some kind of crabapple. I can't wait to see what comes up in her garden this year, & what color the trees will be! We only got a look at the house in summer, so the bloom colors are a mystery.

Sue, take care of your eye! Ouch!!!!! Do you know the way to do the ointment? Pull the lower lid down & put ointment in there-- much less likely to cause blink or splash loss of med. Then lay down on your back & let onitment melt & bathe eye surface for a few minutes. If you're really tired, tell family that it takes hourse, & take a nap- LOL.

I want to take some pictures & can't find my camera battery charger. Grrr.

Pat
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6271546

Looks like it is time to drop some Cookie crumbs...

We are continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963011/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America