Photo by Melody

Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective: Lost our love to mystery toxin..

Communities > Forums > Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brix315
Penn Valley, CA

March 8, 2009
6:22 AM

Post #6236754

I am very sad.I we lost a new member of our family ( 5 mo dachshund puppy)
We don't use rat bait,snail bait,ect..but were having built a large porch.The builders didn't tidy up after their day,and "belle" was seen rummaging through the curious debris.She was quickly gathered,and an asphalt shingle was
taken from her jaws.
All seemed fine,but in less than an hour,she collasped,aftere brief vomiting,and after immediately being rushed to the emergency clinic,she perished 2 hours pater.Liver enzymes were extremely high,as well as phosphorous,and pottasium.OUr Veterianrian,said on viewing the xray,her stomach wasn't visible.He mentioed it indicated a ruptured stomach,but there was no time to consider surgery.She perished shortly after.
There were glues,tarp papers,shingles,etc..at the worksite.I am determined to find the culprit,because in time,I want to try again.We've had many loves,but hers was absolutely the most special.Leslie

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #6236797

I am sorry to hear about your puppy. The best course of action is to do a necropsy even though that may not sound that appealing. Without one, you will probably never know what happened... though necropsies are no guarantee of diagnosis, either. Spider bites and insect stings can do that to dogs and there could be little evidence of that. Hope you find out the problem, though.
Brix315
Penn Valley, CA

March 9, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6240728

Thank you very much for your reply.We went ahead and asked for a post mortem.I appreciate your email,and hope we find out .A spider bite of some type is an interesting thought.She was very inquisitive.But then again,I have never met a youngster who wasn't.

IT is SO facinating on a more positive note,how my two English labs,who are older,have picked up on the sorrow,that my husband and I have felt.They are so especially tender,and gentle,as if they know we've been wounded.??
Instead of harrassing us with her ball today," Annie" would simply carry it with her,and just wag her tail,and lean against us.
Aren't dogs great??
Well,back to the vineyard chores.Thanks again--love your pictures!
Bye now,Leslie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bug Poisons from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank You! melody 1 Apr 16, 2008 11:57 PM
I need more advice.... Stovall_Gardens 1 Apr 17, 2008 1:35 PM
Bug poisons NormaFlora 0 Apr 21, 2008 4:59 PM
Thanks for a very well done article. YodieCoyote 4 Apr 25, 2008 8:07 PM
TOXIC PRODUCTS durmar 1 Apr 22, 2008 2:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America