We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

Tomato Cuttings

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I added a pack of Burpee's Sweet 'Seedless' tomatoes packs to my order and received them yesterday, Weee I got 11 instead of 10.
Well the question..
Can I take a cutting off one of these tomatoes plants and , maybe keep it in the GH for next year ?
If so must the cutting be from the main stem or can it be one of the Leaf stems ?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, you can get additional plants from a tomato plant. You cut off the suckers and stick them in a pot. They root very easily. I've done that several times, but I don't have a greenhouse so I don't know anything about overwintering them in there, but it should work I would think. Rooting suckers is also a good way to get a second batch of tomato plants going without starting from seed again.

Here's a good article on cutting and rooting suckers:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/trebor57.html

Some people cut all suckers from their plants. I've been told that suckers won't produce fruit on the plant, but they will.

Karen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reply Karen, I have a leaf in a pot, from a plant I over wintered, but it is looking a little yellow.
I will try one of the suckers.

Tonto Basin, AZ

rentman, we keep tomatoes in the GH over the winter every year and have fresh fruit year round. 'Cept this year when wilt wiped us out.

Frank

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

So, when you pinch the sucker off, just stick it in potting soil? Can I put multiples in one pot? I guess you would have to do this immediately as they seem to wilt very quickly.
thx
dawn

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Dawn I picked (cut) 3 yesterday put a little root hormone on them and into pot they went, I put one to a pot, I will let you know how they do.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 4:59 PM

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks rentman.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

The three on the left are from the 9th---two on the right planted today.
That's Spinach behind.
These are all suckers. The leaf cutting I planted a week ago is turning yellow.
They are from a cherry tom that I cut the top off last fall and kept in the GH.

Thumbnail by rentman
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Well I'll be, I would have never known. I am going to try that then. Thanks rentman!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

rentman,

Those are looking great! Yippee for you!

Dawn,

You can plant more than one to a pot if the pot is large enough. Last year I planted four of them in one 8" pot until they got roots, then I dumped the whole thing out gently, and separated them to put in the bed. However, rentman's setup in the six-pack trays would take less room. You want at least a couple of inches under the soil.

Karen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I took this 'Leaf stem' Mar 8, put root hormone on it and put it in the pot, with mama.
It ain't do nothing, so the suckers, between the main stem and the leaf stem.

Thumbnail by rentman
Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

rentman,

Yes, taking just a leaf cutting won't root as far as I know. You need the suckers.

They are the branches that form inside the "Y" between two branches or between a side branch and the main stem. Look at the photos in the link above, and then look at your own plant. Once you spot one of them, you'll know right off what to look for.

Once you get new plants going from the suckers on this plant, you can cut the suckers off your new plants and make more plants. At the end of the season you can carry some over winter like you did this year, and be ready to go as soon as the weather is warm.

This is a good way to grow determinate tomatoes all season. I did it last year, but didn't think of it soon enough. This year I will do it right away. I like the determine varieties because they produce enough tomatoes at a time to can for stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce for chili and spaghetti as well as eating fresh.

Karen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Karen we are on the same page with that. I just took the long way around.
Now if I can just remember this in a couple of months. ^_^

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

rentman,

Last year I planted a determinate variety in error. I thought it was indeterminate. However, I loved the taste of that variety, and my daughter, who won't eat a fresh tomato -- go figure, loved having a lot of them at a time to make chili sauce and spaghetti sauce for canning.

By the time I thought of starting the suckers, it was late in the season. I ended up with a couple of great plants with many green ones. All was not lost, though. My daughter canned the green tomatoes up as sweet relish for me -- 12 pints. The relish is wonderful.

This year, though, I am going to get the same variety going and then root the suckers as soon as I have some and keep on doing it so I have a big supply all summer for eating (me) and for canning (my daughter). Can't beat that.

The photo looks as if your suckers are doing well. Good luck on them.

Karen

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

glendalekid...... What was the name of the variety you liked so well???

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

cottonpicker,

Celebrity -- but I seem to be a minority of one here on DG.

It was a great producer, and I loved the taste as did the people I gave some to. No disease problems, no BER, no bug problems.

Karen

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

hey, Karen..... whatever works!!

Thank you for answering.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have grown Celebrity for years and love it-

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I also will try Celebrity this year.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Jo,

Yea, there's two of us!! When I've mentioned Celebrity in other threads, I've gotten 100% negs on it.

I loved it. The taste was wonderful. To me it was just like the tomatoes from the Hunt's fields 40 years ago. I wish now that I knew what variety they grew. They were grown for taste and it did not matter if they survived the automatic pickers totally intact or if some of them got "poked" since they were going to be canned or turned into sauce anyway.

rentman,

It is a hybrid. I bought my plants last year at the local Farmers Co-op for about $3.69 a nine-pack. You can buy one pack and then just keep renewing them via cuttings. Since you have a GH you can even overwinter some and start again in the spring.

Karen

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

One thing I really like about Celebrity is that there are very few seeds in them, and not a lot of the gelatin where seeds are. And the size and shape are very consistent.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I grew Celebrity for years beginning back in 1986 I think. I chose it for its' advertised disease resistance. They were far better than those at the grocery and I mostly canned them. I always planted lots extra since I thought BER was a fact of life. They were dependable and make a good tasting sauce. The plants get ugly but keep going when it gets hot. They have an acidic taste that suits me but I get the impression that most folks here prefer "sweet" types.

That was before DG when I thought heirloom meant quilts or things I keep in the China cabinet. This year I'm trying a bunch of different determinate "canners". I'm also trying some of the "stars" of the tomato world to find out what all the fuss is about. Right now they're all equal....green, beautiful and full of potential.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

twiggy,

Yea, now there's three of us!!

I thought the taste was very sweet compared to other varieties I've tried. In fact, on other threads when I said I liked them, most of the others said they didn't because they weren't acid enough, too sweet.

On nine plants last year I got BER on maybe three of the earliest tomatoes. I figure that's really close to none. On Big Boy the year before I had practically no fruit without BER. The hot weather did not bother Celebrity a bit here either. The plants did get much larger than I thought determinates would, so I ended up having to stake them. I got tomato worms and corn worms on the heirlooms last year, but not a one on Celebrity. The heirlooms last year did not like the hot weather, produced very little, and got BER as well.

For eating, canning, and giving away, I am sold on Celebrity.

Karen

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Karen I'm getting the impression that taste is very much dependent on soil and/or amendments. I added leaves, grass clippings, all the crop residue and the treasure from the chicken pen. I'm sure it had to have made some difference but my soil is almost pure sand, full of nematodes and so acidic that it will quickly turn green on the surface. I had to add lime and fert often to grow anything. If I used the soaker hose often enough to try to maintain steady moisture it leached the nutrients very rapidly. My answer was excessive fert and water, planting many extras and living with the BER.

I managed some good production of a wide range of vegs but I wouldn't want to garden like that now. I've realized that all that commercial fert was probably polluting my ground water and the nearby creek.

Now I garden in pots sitting in a plastic liner with 2" of water. It works like a combination raised bed/earth box. The constantly available water has cured the BER. I only need a little fert in small doses and what leaches out of the pots with the rain gets a second chance as the water is wicked back into the pots. Last year I grew Porter Improved and Rutgers Select with no disease problems. Someday I might try Celebrity again just to see what it can do under ideal conditions. This year my hybrids are all new to me, Sunmaster, Sunbeam and Heartland. I hope they produce at least as well as Celebrity because I want to fill all my jars. I'm also growing a bunch of paste types to try drying them.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Now I am in trouble- I discovered that I didn't order Celebrity seeds this year, and I just called Totally Tomatoes to see if I could get 1 pack fairly soon- it would be $4.95 shipping, plus $2.95 for the seeds, then it would be slow in coming. Does anyone have a few extra seeds they could put in a 42 cent envelope to send me? Or I could send Paypal money- I don't think the Garden shops will have Celebrity plants- I don't remember seeing any last year-- (begging politely !! :-) ) Thanks- Jo

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Jo,

Wish I could help you, but I buy the plants here, so I don't have any seeds for them. Last year they were at HD, Lowe's, and the Alabama Farmers Co-op. They were from Bonnie Plants which is owned by the Co-op.

twiggy,

I don't seem to have too many bug and disease problems here with the veggies. Thank goodness. I agree that with tomatoes the taste for the same variety does appear to vary from region to region. I thought maybe it was a difference in soil composition, but I don't know. So, I figure everyone has to find what he or she likes and stick with it.

Karen

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Bud, you have Dmail-

Evansville, IN(Zone 6b)

Bonnie Plant Farms is owned by Alabama Farm Co-op?

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

YES.... AFC owns Bonnie Plant Farms.

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Jo
Your seed are on the way.
Good Luck!
Bud

Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

Have you ever tried celebrity bush? they have shorter plants, but from the ones I've planted get just as many tomatoes and they are actually bigger than the celebrity regular plants. FYI>>>>

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I didn't know there were two types of Celebrity. The ones I planted last year got about two feet high and three feet wide. How would I know which type I have?

Karen

Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

Two feet high and three feet wide sounds like celebrity bush. The regular celebs are taller than that.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I thought that size was typical of a determinate plant, but then I've not grown determinates before. So, I had the bush version. Good to know.

Karen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

An update on my Burpee's Sweet 'Seedless' tomatoes.
They are seedless, the taste is, good, at least much better than store bought.
My plants, (only got 6 producing), are growing well, they are med. size, 2 1/2"
The skin is tough, but all the tomatoes I grow are. ^_^ I'm looking for very thin skin one.
I have 3 cuttings, in pots, doing well and I will try and over winter them to see what happens. ???
Has anyone else grown these ?

Thumbnail by rentman
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

That's a nice looking tomato alright. How about adding it to the plant files rentman?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Jen , I added it but now cannot find it it was added as Burpee's Sweet 'Seedless'
I'm doing something wrong, do you know if there are instruction on how to enter ?
Some days I'm just slow.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

It's there now rentman. It just takes some time for the pf admin to add it. I see it there now.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/180251/

Thanks,
Jen

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jen

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

By the way, there was a thread on tomato cuttings earlier this season and I used the information to make several more plants to give away to friends:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004194/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.