Photo by Melody

Cooking: How can I get melted pot off glass stove top?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
canyouhelp
Victoria
Canada

March 8, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6239468

Help!!!
While subletting, I inadvertently turned on the wrong element on a glass top range. It appears as if the cheap metal from the pad on the empty pot melted a couple of rings onto the stove top - that won't budge.
Will the surface scratch if I try to remove it with a sharp blade? Any other ideas?

I have until Mar 31 to figure this out (when the owners return)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

March 8, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6239704

Find the manufacturers web site. Email them to learn what to do. Ask the worst also..how much to replace the top - this way you will have all the info up front. I hope you get the stain off. My first attempt would be to soak it with baking soda paste. Let sit / dry etc. and see if that doesn't help.

Next -- would oven cleaner (the spray on no heat type) work? Would that hurt the glass (again ask the maker)
canyouhelp
Victoria
Canada

March 9, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6239899

Thanks for the ideas. I have tried baking soda - didn't budge...still a baking soda fan though - I mean this is hardened metal I was asking it to remove!
I guess I've got nothing to lose by trying to scrape it with a blade ... but if I have to replace the top, not only will it cost, but there's the owners warranty issues. Dang.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6240441

Calling the manufacturer is a good idea to see the extent of what you are facing.

Here are some links on the care and repair of glass stove tops, in case this helps:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/induct
rayleigh
Lineville, IA

March 9, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6244074

I have an Matage glass top stove.They gave me a tool that has a blade in it like a razor blade. If something boils over I use this to scrape it off. The man at the store where I bought it took a quater and tried to scratch it and didn't hurt it. Ann
ctbig
pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6274473

try some Barkeepers friend cleanser and a razor scraper, i clean houses and this to me is the most effective thing i can find.

Carol
50glee
Huntersville, NC

March 21, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6296898

hope it is not too late -

have you tried heating the area - again.
the melted substance should soften.

using multiple thick layers of paper towel begin wiping what can be moved.

a film of varying thickness will remain.
these glass stove tops have a razor cleaning device.
this device with the regular stove top cleaner should get the job done - easily.

**One Note Of Caution - have the heat at the lower point to melt.
The highest heat may cause the material to ignite.

been there, done that, tee shirt & the video! (LOL remembering my stove mishaps.)

Have learned (the hard way) to Always use a timer with electric stove.

GoodLuck!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 8:10 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America