Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants: Rose of Sharon.

Communities > Forums > Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Top Ten Stress-free PlantsReplies: 3, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GrandmaEdie
Longview, TX

March 9, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6242452

I now have 2 Rose of Sharons and love them. Mine our in the corner of a fence line, Bloom there hearts out. We live in TX. and it gets very hot here. Many days of 100+ and they show no stress. I did not know I could cut a branch and get new plants that way. Will try it it see how it does. Thanks for the info. Edie.
francine38
Falls Church, VA

April 23, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9093871

My neighbor has several Rose of Sharons at his fence. Since he has a big Crape Myrtle (also half of the tree is hanging in my yard) covering the sun, the Rose of Sharons are all hanging over the fence in my yard. I have pulled hundreds, literally hundreds of little Rose of Sharons from my property. Sometime I missed them and then it is more work to pull them out. He said that he wanted to share them with me, they are beautiful, but I do not like them. He does not understand that other people have other taste. I did tell him that he can plant whatever he wants, but keep them in his own property.
femailmailman
Mantua, NJ

April 23, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9094584

francine38...I know too well about all the Rose of Sharon babies you speak of!! I had one I had pruned to be like a tree, about a 4 foot high trunk, and then the branches fanned out from there. All summer long I could be seen on my knees pulling the seedlings out of my lawn. To me it was worth it. I gave Rose of Sharon a hard pruning every fall and was rewarded with a bounty of flowers from spring until almost the first frost. Miss that sweet tree since I have moved 3 years ago.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 23, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9094599

I have had my Rose of Sharon for about ten years and haven't had a single seedling. Don't know if the blue variety I have is sterile, if the birds are eating the seeds (the feeder is nearby), or what.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Top ten tops with me Hemophobic 14 Apr 23, 2012 5:50 AM
Daylily ACWinOH 0 Mar 9, 2009 3:00 PM
Tired cottages lortay 0 Mar 11, 2009 11:55 AM
germinating annual sweet peas... mainegrdner 0 Mar 16, 2009 11:47 AM
top ten stress-free plants -corrections bostonbound2 1 Apr 23, 2012 11:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America