Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants: Rose of Sharon.

Communities > Forums > Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Top Ten Stress-free PlantsReplies: 3, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GrandmaEdie
Longview, TX

March 9, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6242452

I now have 2 Rose of Sharons and love them. Mine our in the corner of a fence line, Bloom there hearts out. We live in TX. and it gets very hot here. Many days of 100+ and they show no stress. I did not know I could cut a branch and get new plants that way. Will try it it see how it does. Thanks for the info. Edie.
francine38
Falls Church, VA

April 23, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9093871

My neighbor has several Rose of Sharons at his fence. Since he has a big Crape Myrtle (also half of the tree is hanging in my yard) covering the sun, the Rose of Sharons are all hanging over the fence in my yard. I have pulled hundreds, literally hundreds of little Rose of Sharons from my property. Sometime I missed them and then it is more work to pull them out. He said that he wanted to share them with me, they are beautiful, but I do not like them. He does not understand that other people have other taste. I did tell him that he can plant whatever he wants, but keep them in his own property.
femailmailman
Mantua, NJ

April 23, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9094584

francine38...I know too well about all the Rose of Sharon babies you speak of!! I had one I had pruned to be like a tree, about a 4 foot high trunk, and then the branches fanned out from there. All summer long I could be seen on my knees pulling the seedlings out of my lawn. To me it was worth it. I gave Rose of Sharon a hard pruning every fall and was rewarded with a bounty of flowers from spring until almost the first frost. Miss that sweet tree since I have moved 3 years ago.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 23, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9094599

I have had my Rose of Sharon for about ten years and haven't had a single seedling. Don't know if the blue variety I have is sterile, if the birds are eating the seeds (the feeder is nearby), or what.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Top ten tops with me Hemophobic 14 Apr 23, 2012 5:50 AM
Daylily ACWinOH 0 Mar 9, 2009 3:00 PM
Tired cottages lortay 0 Mar 11, 2009 11:55 AM
germinating annual sweet peas... mainegrdner 0 Mar 16, 2009 11:47 AM
top ten stress-free plants -corrections bostonbound2 1 Apr 23, 2012 11:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America