Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear: Didn't know this when we "inherited" one

Communities > Forums > Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lessons of the Bradford PearReplies: 1, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kmm44
Dayton, OH

March 9, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6242507

In the spring of '96 we bought a weekend home on the water in St. Marys, OH. In the front yard was a lovely Bradford Pear. It was past its bloom then but we enjoyed it for several years. Loved the fragrance and it wasn't really messy.
In '03 a section of it split off and fell parallel to the house. It was a mess, but no damage. My husband and a borrowed chainsaw cleaned it up--what a job. We were mystified as to why it fell. A passerby commented on it and told us that Bradford pears "do that". No one ever told us to keep it pruned back to avoid top-heaviness.
The next year in late May we got a call from a neighbor across the street who said, "Remember that shade garden you had in front of the house? It's not a shade garden anymore."
Yikes! All but one section of the tree had split and fallen in different directions, thankfully not hitting anything. But the next door neighbors had moved their cars to the far side of their circular driveway. We had a tree company come out to clean up the mess and take the tree totally down. For years I had wished for more sunny garden space, lol. Now I have lots.
It took me years to kill the annoying suckers growing out of the stump and all over the flower bed. But last year my Suckr Stopper worked like a charm.
It's amazing how many Bradfords there are in that subdivision, but mostly younger ones that have not gained the size of our older one. The tree removal man said he'd never seen one that big because they usually come down way before 15 yrs.
Too bad there isn't a hybrid that doesn't split. There are hybrid poplars that look like the Lombardy, but don't die after 8 yrs and sterile hybrid cottonwoods that don't produce messy pods. That would be a good research project for someone.
schifferle
Lansing, KS

March 7, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8411712

"It took me years to kill the annoying suckers growing out of the stump and all over the flower bed. But last year my Suckr Stopper worked like a charm."
I never needed it for our now deceased Bradford Pear. It barely suckered at all & only by the base of the trunk, but we used it for our, also now deceased, Ornamental Crabapple and Suckr Stopper never helped much at all. Suckers are still coming up at the grinded stump area. The Tree Service told us to continue to cut off the suckers and eventually it will stop as long as you continue to remove them when you see them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Exotic can be chaotic LLMac 0 Mar 5, 2009 1:20 PM
Agree 100% DitchLily206 4 Mar 7, 2011 8:04 AM
Bradfords and Ice melody 17 Mar 26, 2013 8:30 AM
Great job! Tir_Na_Nog 1 Mar 5, 2009 4:52 PM
Thank you! quiltjean 0 Mar 9, 2009 1:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America