Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Anyone heard of this bill?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This came to me today--has anyone heard of or know much about this HR 875? Now this was the original blog that was sent to me. Disclaimer here--I don't know anything about this group and have never heard of them before. This is the first I've heard of it. It actually came to me in my weekly subscription from my financial planner (of sorts) who covers a wide variety of topics with a plethora of links (and he's not political, per say). It peaked my interest because it dealt with backyard vegetable gardening and general private food production for individual consumption. Here is the blog:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=12671

and here is the original bill from the US govt tracking site:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875

Does anyone actually know what the real intent of this is, or have heard anything about it.
Debbie

Greensboro, AL

Looks like it was just introduced February 4th. And it reads like what the USDA is supposed to be doing.

Greensboro, AL

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Monsanto-s-dream-bill-HR-by-Linn-Cohen-Cole-090309-337.html

Here's more about HR 875. its sponsored by Monsanto.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I just came across the discussion of this bill [and related possibilities] on another site forum of organic gardening.
It appears that the responses range from the sky is falling to just updating food safety because of salmonella concerns!!!!

I certainly ABHOR some of the global standards being pushed like Codex Alimentarus when it comes to food supplements and small time food production..

Certainly the world is being groomed for one world government and my only real hope and help lies in the spiritual Kingdom.

Greensboro, AL

Before we get into World Government, the bill would have to make it out of the house of Representatives. Hopefully, it won't have a chance.

get active and it won't

Greensboro, AL

thanks for posting the Heads Up, dmj

no problem

with a professional environmental activist and a financial planner who uses web bot linguistics to predict long term and short term trends in the family--I learn a lot ahead of the main stream media (and a lot they suppress) and most people

this one just doesn't "feel" right to me about this one (an obvious hidden agenda to me)--when they control everyone's food sources/supplies they got you (or so they think).

Indy, I agree with your thinking until you got to the very end--the universe does always expect you to pull up your boots and get out there and at least die trying (in my opinion).
Debbie

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Debbie,

I believe in protests and petitions for good things. What i meant was that I believe in help from above in everything in my life.....depending on humans will often fall short.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is what the Organic Consumers Association has to say about HR875.
Our representatives need to receive an outpouring of feedback from the general public asking them to either edit this bill to protect small farms and legitimate operations that are run cleanly, or kill this bill and reintroduce one that has better wording.

Quoting:
HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, is a limited-vision attempt by moderate Democrats and Republicans to craft food safety legislation to address the out-of-control filth and contamination that are inherent in our industrialized, now globalized, "profit-at-any-cost" food system. This being said, OCA does not support HR 875 in its present form, given the fact that, if the bill's regulations were applied in a one-size-fits-all manner to certified organic and farm-to-consumer operations, it could have a devastating impact on small farmers, especially raw milk producers who are already unfairly targeted by state food-safety regulators. Although the OCA deems this bill somewhat well-intentioned, we are calling on Congress to focus its attention on the real threats to food safety: globalized food sourcing from nations such as China where food safety is a joke and domestic industrial-scale and factory farms whose collateral damage includes pesticide and antibiotic-tainted food, mad cow disease, E.coli contamination and salmonella poisoning. And, of course, Congress and the Obama Administration need to support a massive transition to organic farming practices.

More information can be accessed here:
http://capwiz.com/grassrootsnetroots/issues/bills/?bill=12878051&alertid=12878056

I personally don't feel its well intended myself--I think its carefully crafted to eliminate the small growers where massive corporate agribusiness will have all the control over food supplies and police themselves (like that's a joke). From what I've heard since posting this, from other sources, there is definitely a hidden agenda being hidden in plain sight (as is usual with them). But I'll refrain from posting those links.
Debbie

this one's directly about HR 875 + S 425
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXNJNjYBvw

and this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkaNR-bqlrY&NR=1

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 3:27 PM

My representatives will be hearing from me.

the 2nd youtube link is about to go viral--its picking up a groundswell on a lot of different forums from financial planners to sustainable agriculture and economic permaculture forums. I've gotten 7 emails with links to it just today.

Rep Rosa Delauro is married to Stanley Greenberg, President of Greenberg-Quinlan Research, Inc., a public issues research and polling firm. Greenberg works with corporate clients including BP, Boeing, Monsanto, Comverse, and United HealthCare.

good sites to verify this for yourself are:

1. follow the money.org
2. open secrets.org

edited to change .com's to .org's above

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 9:21 PM

Thank you for that update. I'll check out those sites.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Time to defend our ability to eat. The initial read makes it seem well intentioned. A little thought and you realize that all the regulation and controls on food grown here does nothing to affect what hits our border from China. That and what business does Monsanto have in writing legislation anyway? Smells a little too Fascist to me.

The statements about preventing food safety problems can go right into regulating small operations right out of business. Can't prove the intention, just recognize the possibility. The mindset of the writing reflects an industrial system approach. It does not accommodate other food production methodology that would likely produce food with less chance of large scale contamination. This can be addressed. Also, the doubling of government agencies should be addressed. If the USDA isn't effective, why? Obvious answer is the influence of industry on its decisions and (perhaps) a lack of funding to do its job itself.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Don't like the statements about "best practices" either. The Monsanto view of best practice is not mine and I don't want viable alternatives regulated out of existence.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

In the opEdNews article posted by Gloria, I find the statement:
"the criminalization of seed banking, the prison terms and confiscatory fines for farmers, the 24 hours GPS tracking of their animals, the easements on their property to allow for warrantless government entry"

The words "seed," "bank," "GPS," and "easement" do not appear in HR 875.
I'm wondering where Linn Cohen-Cole got this from.

It does not imply gps on the animal it implies gps on the vehicles the grower uses to transport their crops--which can be easily done at night

Grantsville, UT(Zone 5a)

I got this email this morning from SC: Before you read his email, please take a look at this bill for yourself. Needless to say the site is extremely busy right now so keep trying:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875

Good Morning. I am going to ask one favor of anyone getting this email on the morning of 9-14-09. Please watch Fox News Network (not the station that carries the Simpsons) at 9PM EST. Spend one hour with your family to see what I had the privilege of viewing in a group of about 300 people at Carolina Wings Friday night. It is my belief that there is trouble on the horizon and I urge you to be informed.

I am not a doom and gloomer. I am a realist. America has economic issues. China is calling our debt due. In the Columbia area it is difficult to find ammo. Our homes are being reprocessed. Our right to grow our own food is being infringed on by a bill that has a good likelyhood of passing without the people telling our representatives we are against HR 875 (I am not kidding, look it up yourself).

Now is the time for us to go back to what made our country great. The principals that guided our founding fathers. I talked to a very bright high school student tonight. I asked her if they studied The Constitution in her school. She replied that they did. I asked her what she knew about it. She proudly stated they had to memorize the first paragraph. Am the only one that thinks this is a problem? That this is all any young person needs to know about how OUR country is supposed to be governed? Is this why government is so big and trying to do and be everything to all people? Thomas Jefferson said, "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.-" Oops, someone forgot to tell our congress this.

The problem is, in my opinion, is that things are being run by the mega-corporations. Follow the Money--they had a name for this in Germany which allowed the rise of Hitler into power. Need I mention that word? I'll give you a hint--it starts with an "F", but its definitely not that f word.

edited to add--Pioneer, your link, that's the 2nd link in my first post.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 8:00 AM

another interesting link:
http://www.naturalnews.com/025824.html

Glendale/Parks, AZ

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 8:03 AM

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I have sent emails to my representatives.

I'm as concerned as anyone about food safety but this is not the solution. Local food should be a private decision/choice/transaction no matter if it's purchased from the farm or the corner store or the farmer's market. Eating local is the single most effective safeguard and should be encouraged rather than hindered.

This seems to me just another excuse to grow government, keep the courts overloaded and pander to corporate profits.

Food producers and manufacturers already have a vested interest in selling safe products. If the government is worried about our safety all they have to do is set some standards, set some really severe penalties and investigate with random product sampling. I think they need to spend the money on testing for toxins and contaminates in the finished products as purchased from the grocery store. That places the burden of ensuring safety on the manufacturers which will be far more efficient than another government agency.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm glad to see no backing from Kentucky on this thing. I'll write and thank them for their good sense.

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

This bill has serious consequences for organic farming and farmer's markets. It is a power grab that some in Congress are making to create a brand new huge bureaucracy to come and inspect every tiny little plot of garden that might possibly be sold at a farmer's market.
I'm furious.

I do not sell my veggies or my chicken, guinea and duck eggs outside of the State of Kansas. I am NOT involved in interstate commerce.
The Feds, constitutionally, have no business telling me how to run my business unless I'm involved in Interstate Commerce.

Not only that, but the majority of food poisoning issues stem from the preparation of the foods - NOT the farms where they are grown.

The peanut salmonella thing was caused by filth in the peanut processing plant, not the peanut farmers.

This bill will end up prohibiting the use of compost for fertilizer - we will all be forced to use commercial, properly regulated, fertilizers.

This is a bill that needs to be stopped and stopped now. It is something that Liberals and Conservatives can and should agree on.

If you ever want raw milk, free range chickens or their eggs, fresh produce grown in your area, write your congress critters AND the White House.

The Obamas have been big supporters of locally grown foods - how could the President do anything but veto this if it gets thru Congress?

Anyway, there is a time to get involved. For me, this time is NOW!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll be contacting my congress men and women!!

Here's info I read on Howard Garrett's site yesterday.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/2665/

I printed out my letter urging my representatives to amend this bill to protect small & sustainable operations or oppose it entirely. Just to be sure they hear me, I've faxed my letter to both their local office and the DC office AND submitted it via the "contact me" form on their websites.

I like buying my food directly from my local producers and I'm not giving that up without a fight!

(Zone 5b)

"Food Safety" is a nice sounding term used for government control over more and more of your lives...as is "homeland security".
So whilst some may consider this bill benign you always
have to read the fine print.
You don't have to believe watchdog groups slant.
Simply go to your governments website and get the info straight from the horses mouth.
But they (our gov.) depends on our apathy and complicated wording in these bills to pass such laws right under our noses.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You are absolutely right about that.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I've been following along the conversation and just wanted to post this part of an email message/newsletter I received from localharvest.com

"Over the last couple of weeks, I've also received a barage of emails about the "Food Safety Modernization Act", or HB 875. The tone of these was somewhere between concerned and hysterical. From what we have learned, HB 875 is not the horror story it has been made out to be. It would not, for example, result in "totalitarian control" or "the planned elimination of farmers" as one oft-forwarded email put it. It actually contains some sound ideas. But for some reason, myths and misinformation about this bill have taken root and spread like a noxious weed.

It got me to thinking. First, truth be told, it made my head spin. All this justifiable jubilance stuffed in next to that screeching panic felt downright disorienting. The administration could not publicly promote organic gardening, and then sign off on a bill that would "criminalize organic farming and outlaw home gardening." It's absurd.

But what does it mean, to have so much exuberance in the locavore community on the one hand, and so much fear and loathing on the other? I think it comes down to this: food, and the ability to grow it honestly, is fundamental to our well-being. We celebrate when we see the food we love, and the values behind it, being respected by influential people. And if we feel that our right to grow that food without undue interference is threatened, we react strongly.

That said, it seems to me that we need to take a breath and put both of our hands to work. We can, each of us, sow at least one seed this spring. If the First Lady thinks pulling a few weeds is a good activity for her family, it's probably good for ours too - and it is. We can, each of us, also follow the food safety bills as they make their way through Congress, writing to our representatives to tell them how important small scale, organic agriculture is to us and to our communities.

It turns out that HB 875 is unlikely to go anywhere. And that's not necessarily great news, given that it contained some ambitious, positive changes. Our friends at the Cornucopia Institute tell us that 875 has been passed over for another food safety bill, HB 759. They, and others like Food and Water Watch think that we will need to make our voices heard as HB 759 moves forward, to ensure that the bill that is eventually passed includes exemptions for small food processing facilities and the same kind of smart, risk-based inspection processes that are contained in HB 875. We'll keep you posted."

Robin

Greensboro, AL

I think the massive objection to this bill is not only its potential for government interference with our right to grow food organically, but also its connection with the Monsanto company who promotes GM modified seeds and crops as "sustainable".

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

The whole increasing global-ness is a threatening potental.to our freedom. World Trade standards might sound good to disinterested parties, but are likely to be Trojan horses for many of us who grow food. Parallel to this are threats to supplemental vitamin and nutrient freedom every time the FDA belches as they are so thinnly staffed and so leveraged by drug company people.

Continual vigulance is a price we must assume.

I think the truth and intent of this bill is quite obvious by the promoters--monsanto, adm, etc.

Greensboro, AL

I notice when the Monsanto people talk about "food safety" and "sustainable agriculture" they don't mean the same thing that most of us would mean using those terms.

Most people here would not consider genetically modified food crops "safe foods" and the production of them with herbicides "sustainable"

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

There are a whole slew of bills which have been introduced in the House this year that have as their purpose the "traceability" of all food. It all sounds good, until you realize that food imported from other countries is exempt- so the inexpensive fruits and vegetables from Mexico, Chili and other South American Countries, will not have to be traceable to the plot of land upon which they have been grown.

Yet, the tomato scare last summer was due to imported tomatoes, not tomatoes grown in the USA by American farmers.

I grow a small amount of produce for sale at our local farmers' market. I have yet to break even doing so, but until all these bills were introduced, I had hopes that maybe in another couple of years, I might break even.

With the rules and regulations that virtually all of these bills demand, I will go so far into the hole trying to abide by them, that I will just quit growing veggies for sale, because the cost would be too dear in time, liability and increased costs.

There are just as many bills regulating all animals in the USA - some say I would have to microchip my chickens with GPS enabled chips. And I would have to file a report anytime one of my free range chickens comes up missing or dies. Often, a chicken just comes up missing - hawks, owls, coyotes and other predators kill them.

I just sell my eggs locally, and there is a lot of resistance here to $3.00 a dozen eggs. To abide by possible NAIS rules, I would have to charge probably 8 to 10 dollars for a dozen eggs to break even. In other words, it will put me out of business.

Most of the food safety issues in our country come from the factories where food is processed or from other countries - NOT from individuals selling small amounts of food at Farmers' Markets.

I already abide by my state and local regulations. The Federal Government is overstepping its power in the US Constitution by attempting to regulate everything down to a backyard plot.

We do not need or want a central planning committee telling us what we can grow and how to grow it. Look how the Soviet Union fared under such tyranny.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Good points Beth.

Micro managing .........in the name of benevelence comes to mind.

spl

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 9:36 PM

Kannapolis, NC

I am making my position on this subject known to my representatives in the house and congress.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.