Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Can a Rhododendron make it beside an airconditioning unit?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bifdiehl
Gettysburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6247020

What do you all think?
I have a 3" wide spot against the foundation inbetween our deck and the airconditioning unit. This spot gets shade except for about 2 hours of full noon-day sun. Would a Rhododendron be able to take the abuse of the hot air blowing out from the air conditioner compressor and the noon-day sun?
Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6248055

I'm not sure that's really a good place for plants--the AC does need a little space around it and by the time the rhodie grows a little bit it's going to be smacking right up into the AC. If you're looking to block the view of the AC, I'd put a trellis up between the AC and the deck and grow some vines--that way you're not blocking air circulation around the AC but you still have something pretty to look at.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America