Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Diatomaceous Earth

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6248864

Anyone had any experience with food grade powder?
Dorkasaurus
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #6264690

Define experience...

Have I eaten it? No, but I've seen it eaten.
Does it really kill crickets? Yep.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6264872

Yes, I didn't think of that. I like crickets. Do they do bad things? I used to raise them, put them in the freezer, shake the bag so their legs would fall off and then feed them to baby birds. cool
But my concern is if they kill earth worms. The place I bought the DE from says it will not, but then they say it will kill worms in cats and dogs. I'll have to do my own testing with unrelated worms.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6265420

Dorkasaurus,
Really you have eaten it we all do that's why its food grade, its in a lot of our food to keep it fresh and from clumping ,

Wormfood,
I feed it to my dogs as a wormer (mixed in their dry food), and dust it in their pens as a flea, tick, fly's etc killer . It will kill hard shell/skin bugs. But I don't think it will kill earth worms. From what I'm told it has sharp edges and cut the shells of the flea, tick, fly's etc . its a very fine powder.
The people I buy it from eat it daily.
Cheryl
edited to fix a typo that was pointed out to me :)

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 11:11 AM
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6265607

oh! thank you! thank you! I think I posted on 3 sites and you're my first answer. So why doesn't everyone use it? I paid $14 for 10 pounds. That's not too bad for all it does. And I never put anything on the plants if I see buds coming out. So as not to kill the good bugs, etc. BTY cut is spelled c-u-t :)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6265696

WOW .. I pay $33.00 for 50lbs ...
They sell it in the pet order catalogs too for about $15 a lb .. crazy
LOL Yes I know how to spell CUT Im just not good at typing ... Im the typo Queen!!!
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6265762

Here's the web site. It did cost $14.99 to send it, so maybe it cuts even.
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6295252

Paul James the Gardener Guy on HGTV says diatomaceous earth will kill earthworms. Other sources say it does not. I've used it with houseplants, but not outside. Earthworms are my friends :)
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6295935

Thank you Honeybee, I'm going to do my own test (one day when the world stops spinning so fast). I know there are different grades to it and the food grade is not supposed to kill invertibrae. But I raised every worm in my yard, that's dumn, I got the worms that raised the worms that live in the yard that Nancy tries to keep chemical free. and to risk killing them is even dumber. Then I would be dumb AND dumber!
Thanks for the info, I love that guy
Nancy
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6302084

I found these while surfing my old posts.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/513178/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/888745/
I don't agree that the DE loses it's sharpness after getting wet, I don't know where the info comes from but I can't back my opinion either, except knowing that it comes from the sea.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6304987

Food Grade DE doesn't come from the Sea thats the kind you use in your swimming pool .. it is mined in either Nevada, Washington, and Oregon
it doesn't lose it sharpness when wet ..we mix it with water and spray our yard and dog pens ...
here are a few links

http://www.internet-grocer.net/diatome.htm

http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com/ASP/articles/DE.asp

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America