Asia vacation 2008 includes Australia and Singapore

Virginia Beach, VA

I can not get motivated to post pictures because I have 800 pivtures so thios will probably take days.
this year we splurge and had planned before the economic crisis started but it was too late to cancel because some parts of the vacation had been paid. It was also my College reunion and my husabnds get together with his brothers from Mauii. So here are some pix!!! This is my husbands brothers and sister. The guy who had the most gray hair is my hubby. The tallest guy is a brother from Mauii and the chubby one is also from Mauii. The 2 older lives in the Philippines and the only sister also lives in the Philippines.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Okay the guy with glasses is my hubby Good morning America featured the selection of the 10 natural wonders of the world and so I wanted to see this underground river in Pa;wan Island in the Philippines. it was a tiring 2.5 hours each way but it was all worth it. The philippine Island had over 7,000 islands and 4,000 is inhabited. You can google this underground river and will have a better explanadion. It is an 45 min. boat to this river and another hour to go inside the cave. The most amazing thing about this cave is it has tourquoise(sp) water and I hope my picture shows that color. So this is the picture and I will try to find another shot of the water.The cave is 18 mile long but only few miles is open to the public. It has a big potential of being considered one of the natural wonders

This message was edited May 17, 2009 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

The diameter of the river (cave id narrow that they have to limit the little boats (bancas) to go in it is pitch dark but the tour guide has one of the tourist maneuver the huge flashlight.We were mandated to use head gears as well as life vest and the reason for the head gears is to protect from the bats excreta. there are thousands of bats inside and the rock formation is just amazing. let me find the picture of the bats. I have to find the bat picture but this is me and DH before going inside the cave

This message was edited May 17, 2009 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

I am still looking for thr bat pictures. I hope this is it!!! Bear with me

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 2:36 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

I am also posting pix of some rock formation and I took quite a few

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

This place also has friendly animals like monkeys and lizards and we were not allowed to feed them but I did gave them food.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Palawan is very quiet and the beaches are not crowded at all. they have all sorts of fresh seafood and hotels and food are cheap!! Exchange rate was 47 pesos per $. We stopped at thie place that had beautiful garden, mostly bonsai.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Another picture of the garden

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

part of the tour is a place where they hatch crocodiles and so here they are. i will be posting more in few days Our daughter and son are here fron alabama and tomorrow I have golf refresher lessons and I have more pix coming. Bellie

This message was edited Mar 11, 2009 2:50 PM

This message was edited May 17, 2009 8:23 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Bellie, if you get a chance, I'd sure love to see more photos of your Asian vacation! Maybe a rainy day when you can't golf or garden .... lol.

Sandy

Virginia Beach, VA

Sandy,
Here are some more picures. it is raining here now so no golf nor gardening!!!
Roger napping with jet lag. there is 12 hours difference

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

More pictures in the Philippines. This is our friends backyard garden. they are our friends here and decided to have another house in a resort place in the Philippines. The house is huge and with 2 live in maids and so they got it made!!! Unlike here we have to do mosy everything!!!

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Another picture of the house. They are very nice people and the husband is DH golfing buddy, Linda plays golf as well. The house is situated in a golf course. aA nice place to visit and get massage manicure and pedicures at home service. She loves spendinfg time in this house. There house in Virginia Beach is also huge. They are very Blessed.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

This is singapore at the Holiday Inn lobby. it was Chinese New year while we were there and this picture was taken before leaving for our tour.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Flowers in Singapore. It was kind of chilly that day.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Now this oranges are dwarf and they are live trees with hundreds of fruits but awfully sour. Chinese believe that oranges are for Good luck. I hope you enjoy these pictures. I will post some more soon. I have to feed the kois. i think it stopped raining.

Thumbnail by bellieg
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Your friends' house and garden is gorgeous!

Virginia Beach, VA

Yes it is very pretty and comfortable. they have all the amenities as houses here and like i said they have 2 live in maids and a massage room where they have someone come and do massages which include facials.We stayed at their house for 3 days so when they come here we always entertain them. our friends still have their house here.
this picture is my mother in laws garden. this is where my husband was born but raised in Baguio City

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

I need to post more pictures of Singapore.Singapore is very clean, no one is allowed to chew gum and if you are caught with gum while visiting Singapore it is punishable like you are smuggling!!! It is a big fine!!! Singapore is very small Island and so there are very few single family homes. most of the residentials are highrise. No one is allowed to keep their cars over 10 years because they do not want junky cars. the personal property tax on an old car is double and you have to be preapproved if you can buy a car. it is very expensive to live in Singapore.Their tour buses are spotless!!
this is the highrise buildings

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

I think this is still singapore. This is part of our tour in China town
this is enough for tonight . will be posting again tomorrow.

This message was edited May 18, 2009 6:55 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I shall remember not to chew gum if I ever get to Singapore. Interesting!

Sandy

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures! It all looks so lovely.

Virginia Beach, VA

I think this is an open market in the Philippines. i was looking for guavas and other tropical fruits. I just love the young coconuts. I remember eating a young coocnut everyday when we went to puerto Vallarta.

This message was edited May 19, 2009 11:06 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Nahunta, GA

Bellie, you have no doubt had a wonderful vacation! Please continue to post more pictures, I am living the vacation I did not get to have through yours ;) I am so amused by the sights and wonders of places so far from home. It really captures me to see and read about the beauty abroad!! So glad you had time to spend with family as well on this vacation!! Keep the pics coming!!!

Laura

Virginia Beach, VA

Laura,
I thank you for the comments. I will post more pics soon. too many projects and I have to get organized to keep up. We created 3 beds with the help of a new found guy and so far i am very pleased with the results. He is a good worker!!! Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Here are more pictures of Baguio City open market. With 800 pictures it can be very confusing, these are homemade sausages and there are different flavors. Believe it or not htere are no flies and the place is very clean. I did not want to buy any of thiese sausages but I did but the olives in big jars at the open markets in Italy!!! When we travel I like to eat what the locals eat. Bellie

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

More pictures in the Philippines opemn market. Remeber I like to eat all the tropical fruits that UI can not buy here. The passion fruits which are reare and very expensive here are plentiful and cheap over there and other exotic fruits like the jackfruits, assorted mangoes, apple guava and other varieties. Will post more pictures tonight after out couples golf game.

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

another picture, oriental veggies.

This message was edited May 22, 2009 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by bellieg
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for including the pictures of the food market. We also like to eat what the locals eat and that looks quite interesting!
Since moving to the Ozarks I have eaten fried ravioli called "Toasted Ravioli", the #1 barbecue item is pork steak. I havient gotten a taste for either, but I have eaten them...oh, and every Chinese eatery has many of it's dishes filled with peanuts - another local favorite.

Virginia Beach, VA

this is Singapore in one of the tours. I wanted to try a costume so they can have an income and so here it is!!! Roger had a good time watching them dress me up. incidentally it was very hot when we were there.

Thumbnail by bellieg
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Great colour on you, Bellie! Plus, I can't help but notice the lovely view behind you.

You mentioned it was hot, does it also get humid there?

Sandy

Virginia Beach, VA

Yes it was humid but we were prepared for summer clothes. When we arrived in Baguio City Philippines it was 45 degrees and no heating!!! Because it was cold the maid does not refrigerate and so Roger got sick ended up in the ER for dehydration. Luckily there was no vacancies for him to get admitted so his intavenous was all done in the ER. We were in the ER for 6 hours till his IV was infused. I told her (maid) that all left over food has to be refrigerated.
The view behind is magnificent!! I enjoyed our 4 day stay but it is very expensive to live in Singapore. The next time I post will be Melbourne Australia.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I am loving this tour, are those prices on the fruit at the market? What is the monetary comparison. Would love to see more, more, more!!! Keep them coming even if it takes until your next excursion!

How expensive is expensive in Singapore, can you give an example of what a home like that might cost?

Candee

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Ditto to what haighr said! And how is the crime rate where you were?

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Virginia Beach, VA

In the Philippines the the monetary exchange was 47.00 pesos to a dollar so money came a long way. The fruits were very cheap and just love them especially the fresh jackfruit.Singapore dollar was 37 to a dollar but evrything is high although i picked up clothes for me on clearance that was ok. Food was more expensive than here in US. In Australia I think it was 18 australian $ to 1 dollar but again shopping was high. What I love about australia is the fashion, it is different, maybe because it was summer. I also saw multiple culture and very few Australian whites. Am i making sense? I will be posting and answering your ?? when I come back from our 2 weeks vacation. We are going to play golf in Florida and I am very excited because I very seldom play with DH here because he prefers his men golf buddies. He is also a good golfer while I am not and I had not broken a 100 LOL!!! I play mostly with ladies in a league and just love it.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

Looking forward to the Melbourne pictures - we will be there in July.

Virginia Beach, VA

We are now in Alabama spending time with our daughter for 3 days then headed for lauderdale, miami and key west. i was just talking to DH about July in melbourne and he said it is the middle of winter in Melbourne but if you have uggs boots and good winter coat then i guess it will be okay. i do not know how bad the snow there. Will post pix of melbourne when I get back. Talking about crime rate from Juney bug. in the Philippines labor is so cheap so a lot of businesses has security guards. the hotels has dog and number of security guards and the streets are loaded with armed patrols. I felt safe to most of the countries we had been to. I have my lap top with me so i can answer ??
Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Been back for 1 week but schedule was very hectic. Had 4 golf games this week and today we are leaving for another week to the outer banks north carolina. I will however post pictures when i come back. have a good week.!!!Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

We are back from the outer banks and played 3 times and very disappointing to be paired with people who are just learning. i mean learning!!! One course is $165.00 to play and what a waste!!!

Enough with the complaints!! LOL!!! DH is a very patient man and a gentleman.

Any way here are some of melbourne pictures
We were gone for 6 weeks !!

Thumbnail by bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

Our 5 days in Melbourne was pre arranged and when we arrived at the hotel we went to dinner in a moving train and it was a good dinner. We had a 5 course dinner, wine and after dinner drinks. Kind of fancy but we really did not get too dressed up!! Some were really dressed for the evening. It was a 9 hour plane ride from the Philippines. It was a very long day because we arrived from Singapore at 1:00 Pm and our melbourne plane was at 7:30 PM. It was cheaper to go back to the philippines rather than take a plane from Singapore to Melbourne. This is the train where we ate dinner. Incidentally it was a moving restaurant and so we got to see the city.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2009 8:57 AM

Thumbnail by bellieg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.