Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Where do I find these clay chimney flue pipes?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I have seen these in various sizes in a couple of display gardens at flower shows and garden tours, where would I find these? HD and Lowes do not carry them.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

At a flower show.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

One more from the show.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Stacked, they can make nice displays for the right spot.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Google clay chimney pipes. I think that's what vents the fireplace thru the chimney, so I'd think any building supply would have them. Or maybe a brick yard? Wish I'd thought of that when we had the fireplace torn out a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I just checked the phone book and found a few roofing supplies so I am going to check some out.

Oh my, look at the possibilities!!
http://www.claychimneypots.com/

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Here's one, Sue. http://www.gladdingmcbean.com/chimney_tops_caps/tops/index.html , though I couldn't get any dealership info.
I've wanted some of these for ages.

Also try clay flue liners.

k

yeah, I am trying different word combinations with Google and most results are chimney sweep services. I have a few addresses of building supply places that I am going to check out today while doing errands. I want several so they have to be affordable, nothing fancy like the ones shown on some of those sites although one or two would look great too!

I have one of those clay fire pots, the base has a crack in it so I am not using it for fire but the top flue part I inverted and placed a round bowl shaped planter on it. If I ever see any more of those sold with just that portion, I will get them.

I would like to find some old ones, but someone will label them antique and charge a fortune! LOL

Yep, especially here in Calif. unless you find some old abandoned homestead out ij the boonies somewhere.

Do you have deconstruction stores up there? We've seen a couple here. They sell pieces of buildings that have been torn down or remodeled - old Craftsman windows, doors with that wavy glass, cabinets, etc. Some things are not what I would call a bargain, but worth the price. Others are highway robbery.

I know of one in Berkeley, not cheap because many of the salvage materials come from the old Victorians in the area but always fun to look through there. But if the landscapers are getting these large quantities like the flower show display, there has got to be a good source. I did errands but had no time to check on some places today.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Look in your local Yellow Pages for masonry supplies. The terra cotta sections shown in your photo are clay flue tiles, and should be widely available and inexpensive. You can find them in round, square and rectangular shapes. The more decorative pieces that are used for a fancy termination on a chimney top are called chimney pots. They'll usually be quite a bit more expensive, depending upon how decorative and ornate they are.

I can't think of any reason to pay extra for old ones. If you want to make new ones look older fairly quickly, just aggressively wire-brush them, paint them with plain yogurt or a paste made with powdered buttermilk, and leave them out in the weather over a wet winter. By springtime, they'll have developed some greenish-gray patina which will increase with age.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

We should have asked where they got them last year, Sue.

Did you see how much they weigh in your first link? WOW!

I may have moved on from these now though if I do that hypertufa.

Please let me know what you find out. I think they are so cleverly used! I could use them in the front.

Thanks Jamesk for the search tip!
Kell, I am determined to find them!

Good info, James. What I meant was, old ones that someone was getting rid of!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I have always thought of them as clay drain tiles. There are ones with holes in the sides but there are also ones without the side holes.

http://www.sandkuhl.com/html/clay_tile.html

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I just went onto Craig's list and searched for clay tiles. I found some really nice chimney liners from an old Victorian house for $5 each. So try Craig's list for your area.

Aw, man, a steal! I will keep checking Craig's, I have tried various word combos in my search.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Sue, you might contact Gladding-McBean directly. They are awesome. Every year they sponsor "Feats of Clay" which is a ceramic artist's competition & show. On Mother's Day, they open the factory for walking tours. DH I and I went a couple of years ago, and it's just fabulous. They also do architectural restoration work for old buildings all over the country. Fascinating stuff, and so much fun to see!

They make and fire literally tons of sewer pipe and similar earthenware pieces every year, so they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thumbnail by imapigeon

Wow! I have friends in Lincoln and now remember driving by that factory.

There MUST be someplace in Lincoln to get seconds. I can't think of anything else they could do with imperfect pieces after they're fired. I took over 100 pix that day...it's quite a place----and still operates in the original buildings.

These are unfired pieces drying.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2009 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by imapigeon

They listed on dealer in Auburn. But there must be something here in the south bay area that has something like this, either clay sewer pipes or chimney pipes.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Calif_Sue,

I remember that fabulous display at last year's flower & garden show (can't wait for this weekend)..... so, when my co-worker told me she was looking for somewhere to re-cycle the terra cotta pipe, they'd pulled out of her Mom's old heating system, I volunteered my garden! Her contractor is delivering the pieces today & I will definitely put it to good use! I don't think my DH will be thrilled, when he sees them in our carport, but he WILL see the error of his ways! LOL!

Liz

Liz, I hope you'll post driveway, during and after photos---what a fun project!

Yes, we must see some pics of your project!

This years show was not as exciting, did you think? I only saw 2 really special displays.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell,

I'm not good about pics, but I'll definitely do after pics.

I agree about the show. That display you showed was one of our fav's.... we thought those were cement, not wood - what did you think? I was surprised at the lack of emphasis on xeriscape & drought tolerant gardening - only a few exhibits. My DH kept raving about exhibits, until I'd tell him that they required waaaay too much water. We spent 5 hours there & came home with some great buys - big fun!

Liz

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

These are the chimney tiles I got via Craig's list. I only got the three. The one on the left has a chip. All of the 12" diameter ones had chips or cracks. I figure I will put them the other way around or have trailing plants cover the chip.

They are 26" tall two are 10" and the one 12" diameter. Wow are they heavy.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It would help if I added the photo.

Thumbnail by zenpotter

Those are really nice!

I have a couple that I got from a friend, one round & one oval. I'm still deciding what I want to do with them. Love the oval shape! I'm thinking of making pots that will fit into the top so I can use for trailing plants, too. Because of the fit & shrinkage issue, I'm considering concrete or 'tufa instead of clay.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I will have to put annuals in them since the perennials would freeze out.

I am wondering if I could cut them so I could get a variety of sizes. As old as they are they seem a bit on the brittle side. They are well over 100 years old.

Maybe a granite countertop operation might be able to cut them for you?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

That is a good idea. I will check. The other thing I can do is bury them to different heights.

Good idea---but if you can use the whole length, it would be even better!!

I've heard people use them to plant mint and other plants that tend to spread, by burying them.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I would only bury them so that they would be slightly different in height. Like 26" 24" and 22" or a bit more.

Those are so cool esp how old they are, Zenpotter!

So tell all you bought Lizzipa or you are no fun at all! Then I can moan that I missed them!

Yes, those are cement and so cool. I wish I was artistic.

Last year they had so many more interesting exhibits and lots more succulent gardens. This year it was kind of tossed together I thought.

Thumbnail by Kell

Did you go last year? The under the sea one was so cool!

Thumbnail by Kell
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I hope you can find some Sue. I found mine at a local masonry place that sells mostly rocks and bricks. This is an old picture, they were damaged last winter when they filled up with rain and then the temp dropped quickly and they froze while full of water. I'm going to try making something similar out of concrete or hypertufa to see if it will hold up to the weather better.

Thumbnail by Katlian

Loving hearing all your ideas for the clay pipes. I was wondering if I could plant directly in the pipes, if I fill the bottom with gravel, then dirt? I definitely want to do a different height arrangement... my pipe pieces weren't delivered, last week, after all... but they will be as soon as the contractor makes him way down this direction.

Kell, Yes we went to the show last year for the first time. We didn't realize (until then) that this is the cadillac of the shows, compared to the home & garden shows we'd attended before. We wanted to see Michelle's (deviant deziner) display... she had completed our garden design plans a month or so before the show - we hired her to come up with a design that we could implement... It took us 4 years to demo the yard, & it's been so much fun to see it start to come together the past year! Let's see, we bought: 2 japanese maples (suminagashi & usakazuki) for the big planter box built into our deck, a couple of wrought iron obelisks (really had to restrain myself to only buy two @ $20 & $25 a piece), a couple of garden stakes w/ decorations on top, and a "pot lifter" - that's the one item we knew we wanted, (we'd seen it last year) - it's a strapping system that allows two people to lift & carry a hundred pounds fairly easily. We have about 10 rocks left over from the stream we had built last summer - now we can transport them down to the yard. :-)

Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images