Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Another Idiotcy?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 16, Views: 162
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6252432

WHY are they cutting production of milk instead of milk prices? My neighbor told me she only buys half the milk her elementary school age children would drink, due to the increased cost. (Milk prices, organic or conventional, have NOT dropped here.)
http://www.bangornews.com/detail/100620.html
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6252548

I've wondered about the pricing too darius. I don't understand the justification.

The only answer I know is for the government to make unhealthful food production illegal. Having organic food be relegated to a specialty market more subject to the ups and downs is not the best. Most people can't or don't assess the value of a $3 gallon of milk vs. a $5 gallon of milk.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

March 12, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6254889

Trying to understand over 6$ a gallon of milk here...sometimes 8$. Doesn't make sense...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6255614

Crappy store-brand milk here runs about $5; organic is nearly $5 but for HALF a gallon! Hard to accept that milk is more expensive than gasoline.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 12, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6255673

I noticed on my last trip to the regular grocery store - not Walmart - that most loaves of bread were in the $5 range.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6255721

Yeah, I see that here, too, Gloria. I was in Asheville 2 weeks ago, where they have several GOOD European-style bread bakeries. Most of that bread was nearly $7. Guess it's time to start making bread again...
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6255752

We're expecting big increases in almost everything here. Farmers and ranchers have been sending healthy young cows to slaughter because there is nothing to feed them - at any price. Crops of corn, sorghum, cotton, etc. haven't been planted because the soil is powder dry all the way down. We finally had some rain yesterday and a glorious thunderstorm this morning, but it may be too little, too late. Even those of us who garden are trimming our plans because rationing is probably inevitable. Yuska
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6255889

I pay $3 a QUART for organic milk at the Farmer's Market. Good thing I am rich! (laughing myself silly)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6255988

Wow, I'm not seeing much increase here in milk prices. Bread has gone up a little but not a lot. I still seldom pay over $1.50 a 20 or 24 oz. loaf. (whole wheat or 7 grain, etc.) There are some loaves between $3 and $4 but I'm not willing to pay that and find sale ones or store brands.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6256056

I pay $3.69 per half gallon of Organic Valley Farms milk. It's very high but the milk is absolutely delicious; creamy and sweet and never has that "the cows been in the mustard plants" taste. Reminds me of milk from my childhood.

I'd rather drink milk than anything else...
Hastur
Houston, TX

March 12, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6256899

I get raw milk from a local(ish) farmer, and the price has been steady for a long time. Of course, said farmer isn't having to buy grain for the cows (grass fed) and does everything they can to make sure the cows are happy and eating naturally. No hormones, no antibiotics, no nothing. Just cows, grass, and a very happy camper here.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6257136

Me, too, Stacey... or just about anything else although I do like some of the herbal teas, iced. I got really used to drinking ICE COLD milk in glass jugs this past year!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6257141

I sure wish I could get raw milk... lucky you, Hastur!
Hastur
Houston, TX

March 12, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6257411

Darius, I will happily agree that I am lucky to no end. It's done wonders for clearing up my allergies. (Old joke: How can you tell if you have allergies? Move to Houston.)

garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6259037

It will be interesting to see if anything postive and productive comes out of our state Senate probe of the milk pooling scheme that was setup in the 1930's.

[quote]California Senate probes modern-day value of milk pool

SACRAMENTO
March 11, 2009 12:03am

• Food and Ag Committee asks if 1930s price regulations have evolved with economy
• ‘We want to ensure California dairies are not placed at a disadvantage’

California’s “milk pool” – a system set up in the 1930s to give dairy farmers equitable prices – is to be examined today at a hearing of the state Senate’s Food and Agriculture Committee, says committee chairman Dean Florez, D-Shafter.

At issu is whether the 70-year-old system meets the needs of farmers and consumers in the 21st Century.

The committee is scheduled to hear testimony from regulators and producers on how the milk pool impacts the competitiveness of California producers, as well as how it impacts the price of such an important staple as milk for California consumers in trying economic times.

“We need to get more information and reflect on whether or not a system designed for a 1930s population still works in the best interest of today’s dairies and consumers,” says Mr. Florez. “At the end of the day, we want to ensure California dairies are not placed at a disadvantage, and that the hard-working people of this state can afford to give their families the proper nutrition they need.”

Wednesday’s panel will include representatives from the California Department of Food and Agriculture and the state’s major dairy producers. The committee will also hear testimony from producers in smaller niche markets such as organic and raw milk, looking at the question of whether or not it makes sense for all milk products to be subject to the pool.

The hearing will take place Wednesday, March 11, at 2 p.m. in Room 112 of the State Capitol. [/quote]
http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/templates/print.cfm?ID=11366

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6259230

Interesting... please keep us informed?
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6259891

Will do. I'm sure one of my assorted milk groups/newswires will post a link to the transcripts as soon as they are available.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America