Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Needle Arts: Need help with adding crochet edge

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 14, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 12, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6258158

I'm a beginner knitter and just completed an Elise tank top for my granddaughter out of Hushabye yarn in a stockinette stitch on size 10 needles. And of course it's curling like crazy. I added a hdc crochet edge around the bottom (after teaching myself by viewing online videos) and also to the armholes (which IMHO turned out rather sloppy because I didn't use a fluffier yarn). The hem and the armholes are fine but I'm now trying to add the same hdc to the neckline but now it doesn't stretch enough to fit over her head. I have since learned in the last 15 minutes that crochet doesn't stretch as much as knitting. Is there a stretchier crochet stitch that I can use? It can't be too wide or it will be out of scale to the garment. How can I salvage this project? Any suggestions are appreciated.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6296249

Cindy, how are all the edges finished in the pattern? Is the pattern online?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 21, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6301142

Hi Elsie -
The pattern is "Elsie", not "Elise" - my mistake. And very coincidental, right? It's on the Berroco web site - a freebie. The armholes and neck edges don't have any finishing ribbing - just decreases for shaping. On size 10 needles, it looks a little unfinished. I started another one for my second granddaughter and added 3 rows of k1, p1 ribbing at the bottom of the body to stop the curling but am at a loss as to what to do for the armholes and neck. I can just as easily start over I guess but thought I'd explore any options before doing that. If I would have knit it in the plush yarn that the pattern called for, the fuzziness probably would have hidden my problem. Just didn't think it would be comfortable for TN summers. And I can't find Berroco locally. Sigh...
I look forward to any suggestions you might have.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6301203

Cindy, the only thing I can think of is to bring it to a yarn shop and ask their opinion. Or you could try a different pattern that would better suit your yarn. I think you are better off not trying to add an edging to the knitting. I think it will either be too tight or stretch out and look sloppy. I think the fluffy yarn is great at hiding things like edges.

Maybe you can see what kinds of edges other tank tops have and incorporate that into your pattern.

Good luck.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 23, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6307622

Elsie -
I think you're right about the fluffy yarn hiding the edges. They just look too "unfinished" to me. I'll go back and search out other patterns. Thanks for your suggestions.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6310041

You can pick up the stitches around the neck and the armholes and do either ribbing or a few rows of garter stitch. If you don't know how to pick up stitches. There is a video here to help you or you can get help where you bought the yarn.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 24, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6312443

Doss -
Thanks for that suggestion! I've read about picking up stitches and knitting an edge but haven't had the confidence to do it. I love these videos when it comes to learning a new stitch. That's how I started with the crocheted edging. Will definitely check it out.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6313820

I had a lot of trepidation the first time I picked up stitches around the edge but you do get used to it. If you've already sewn the sweater together you will need either a short circular needle or a set of long double pointed needles.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 24, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6314591

Doss -
Yep - one of them is already sewn together. I'll have to undo the hdc first. I was wondering about using circular needles after I read your post. I don't know if I have the same size as I used on the garment but for the neck and armholes, maybe I can get away with a slightly smaller size. I'm going to experiment tonight with that. And I do have my trusty dp's too. Learned how to make beanie hats this winter for the first time.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6314653

Cindy, the other thing - since this is for a young girl - maybe crochet a ruffled edge. that might be cute and easier. And it should be big enough. Just a thought.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 25, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6318562

Elsie - does a ruffled crochet edge have more give to it? I don't thing the armholes are a problem with the hdc but the neck sure was. Couldn't even get it over the 3 1/2 yo's head. But I'm thinking I'd want the two edges to be somewhat similar.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6319152

Cindy, I think whatever edge you do - if you don't pick up enough stitches you can make it too small. I was thinking of a ruffle because it would hide any uneveness.

Right now I would think your best bet is to knit up a sample and try all the different possibilities until you find one you like. This would be much better than trying it on the tank top and ripping it out.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 26, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6322071

Elsie - I did knit a small sample to practice the single, dbl and hdc stitches on but of course I didn't think about the "stretchability" factor. It's all part of learning something new. I haven't done much garment knitting in the past but it surprises me that with the propensity of the stockinette stitch to curl, there are a lot of patterns out there with no ribbing or special treatment to minimize the curl. Maybe it's just me, not liking that curl. I like the look of the stockinette stitch though.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6322949

Sometimes the curl is just part of the design.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 27, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6324506

And here all these years I've been trying to get rid of the curl. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America