Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: germinating/planting seed pod seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 17, Views: 231
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 12, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6258223

These seeds belong to an ivy that I have yet to identify. It blooms all year long, tolerates heat and cold and I would like to propagate this plant in other parts of my yard but don't know the best method. I believe it grows wild here in southern California but no plants have sprouted from this one. Possibly birds or four legged critters are making off with the seeds or pods. I want more of these but I cannot find this vine at local nurseries (though there are blooming vines that are close, just not quite the same). This is the pod from the plant

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 12, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6258232

This is the vine...

jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 12, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6258236

This is the flower - thanks in advance for any advice!

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6258337

Jackie. Not sure what ya go there, but it sure is pretty. Lokign at the seeds, I would get ya oenof them plastic pan from walmart that abotu a buck and fil it 2/3 full of pottign soil just very lightly moist and just scatter the seeds on the top and cover with saran wrap or pastic and put someplac e where it get nice and warm and they shoudl germinate for ya that away
jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6258537

Should I cover the seeds at all and what about sunlight? Would 68-70 be considered warm? (that's the temp in our house right now as it is still cool out and I try to avoid running the heater as much as possible). thanks for the advice :-)

btw, it's close to this http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1755/ but not quite the same as the leaves on my plant are more waxy and less ruffled and more tolerant of the heat (not to mention longer blooming time and blooms in shade).

It's not these either http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2749/

or http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64861/

This message was edited Mar 12, 2009 5:48 PM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6258688

Could you post this on the ID forum - I would LOVE to find this vine - it's beautiful!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/
HawaiiAL
Kailua Kona, HI
(Zone 11)

March 13, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6258785

seeds don't need light to germinate,keep potting soil damp not wet in 7 to 14 days you should see green,then put them under lights or sun.uncover them as soon as you see them break the surface.i would put in water and H202 for 24 hours before setting on soil ,good luck on more plants
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

March 13, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6259161

it looks to me like a purple allamanda vine. Mine never bloomed, but it had leaves just like that one and was supposed to have those flowers. I think another name might be madagascar rubber vine. I could be wrong, but if you look it up I think they are similar.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6259244

I agree with you, Ibartoo. My research came up with this vine (purple alamanda vine), too, but the center of the bloom on the one from the op is different than the google.com images. The leaves, however, appear to be the same.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

March 13, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6259268

I am not sure mine survived this winter. I left it out due to lack of space. it hadn't bloomed in 3 years. I had plants everywhere to protect them from the cold. I will have to check it tomorrow and see if it is still alive.
Ibartoo
jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6259782

Thanks all. Actually, I think it is closest to a bower vine http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/135922/ or pandorea. The leaves are much smaller/thinner than an alamanda and I can't get an alamanda to last through the winter here (southern California). This vine has a more delicate flower and smaller leaves than the alamanda but blooms all year long, sometimes very prolific (much more than the photo I provided) and even in the shade. I will post it on the id forum. It was growing at my house when we bought it (and along park walkways around here). I've never found anything exactly like it. I've moved it twice and both times thought I killed it only to have it come back and grow like crazy. I want to cover a 50 foot long fence with it so thought I'd try to grow several vines from the seeds.
jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2009
8:37 AM

Post #6260165

I have posted this in plant ID.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6260484

Not Pandorea - I have?had Pandorea and it's definently pink blooms, not purple. I don't think mine made it through the winter.
jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6261331

The blooms are more pink rather than purple. Sometimes colors look different on various screens.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6262726

Give them Allamanda's plenty of time. I had soem in just a hanging basket that sat out by tree trubk all winter and when it got hot enough for long enough they cam eback when I figured they was gonners.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

March 13, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6262785

Thanks Starlight, I won't give up on it yet.
whoopzoop
Modesto, CA

July 24, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6859133

Hi, I know this is an older post but I will chime in anyway. This is definitely a Bower Vine. I have several around the back and they are the best! They are very hardy and here in the Sacramento Valley, they bloom almost year round. I almost lost one a few years ago from an extended frost but it came back bigger and better the following spring. Yes you can propagate the seeds and I would suggest letting the pods age on the vine.
Summers are very hot here in the valley but my Bowers don't seem to mind. Some are in full sun and some are along the side yard and get only a few hours of sun a day. They all seem to thrive. Unlike my trumpet vines, ants and most other pests ignore them. The only insect that seems interested are the huge bumble bees and they are very entertaining anyway so I don't mind. The flowers range from a snowy white to a vivid pink like yours. I have also found them with variegated leaves. The Bower is very high on my list of favorite backyard vines.

Thumbnail by whoopzoop

jackiescompost
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6870255

I actually had luck with rooting cuttings (as well as sprouting seeds). Since cuttings are an absolute chip off the old block, I intend to nurture those though I will also see what happens with the seedlings. The cuttings are much tougher to grow but I know I will have a duplicate of exactly what I want.

Thanks for all the help! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America