Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them: Brown tips on leaves, some yellowing too

Communities > Forums > Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Avocados - How to Grow ThemReplies: 7, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6262336

The tips of the leaves on my Mexican Avocado are turning brown (it seems to be moving up the plant). and there is some yellowing too. What do you think? I've found several answers online, but nothing definitive...

Thumbnail by kithas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6262382

Might it be cold damage?
kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6262400

I don't think so we haven't had a hard freeze (down to 30 for half an hour once) since I bought it. And I protected it with Frost Cloth and incandescent C9 - Christmas Lights.
kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6262500

I've found this info elsewhere:
"Water thoroughly but do not keep the trees too wet. At every third or fourth irrigation, water extra heavily to help wash accumulated salts from the soil. This will minimize salt burn, which will be noticeable as brown edges develop on the edges and tips of leaves."
- http://walterandersen.com/tiplist-avocado.html

and from a related page:
"Browning along the edges of a leave is an indicator of potassium deficiency. Also browning of old leaves shows that this deficiency is mobile! Which confirms a potassium deficiency."
- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070913191522AABEvBN

kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6262569

"Potassium deficiency is indicated by a burning of older leaves. Unlike salt/fertilizer burn it is limited to older leaves."

"Magnesium deficiency causes older leaves to yellow at the tips and then die back. It can look very similar to salt burn but can be distinguished from salt burn by the fact that it concentrates itself on older leaves and affects the leaf tip rather than traveling the margins of the leaves"

"Salt burn, unlike potassium and magnesium deficiency, is evenly distributed across all leaves of the plant. Salt burned leaves start burning at their tips and progressively turn crispy along the edges of the leaves toward the base."

- http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/vitaminNutrientDeficiencySymptomsPlants.html

Hmmm. Still Doing Research...

Here's a picture that shows the progression:

Thumbnail by kithas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6262719

Based on the pictures I got googleing all the suggestions, Salt Burn looks like the likely culprit... I may have answered my own question here, but thanks anyway! I'd still appreciate any input!
kithas
Humble, TX

March 13, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6262760

Sorry one more post, I found this at the Texas A&M page on Avocados:
"The most common problem of avocados in Texas is tip burn and marginal necrosis caused by water stress and salinity, which is most prevalent during hot, dry weather. This problem is most acute on Mexican-race seedlings and rootstocks; it can be tempered somewhat by more uniform and regular watering. "

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6265357

Very good - Dont you just love the web?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me again Aunt_A 1 Jul 16, 2008 1:20 PM
Thanks for the info libellule 2 Jul 16, 2008 1:21 PM
Propagation jjacques 5 Feb 16, 2010 3:53 AM
From a pit? gammaneetz 17 Nov 29, 2013 8:56 AM
avocados dortmunder26 1 Jul 22, 2008 11:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America