Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Dedicated Bean Pole Thread

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Just had to have this on its own. 75 bean plants growing on 1 sq foot print of earth. I will post pics every couple of days up and including harvest with yield.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here it was Feb 18th

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

OMG I just realized that there is 7 pots on this stack. I planted 5 seeds in each pouch. THAT MAKES 105 BEAN PLANTS, NOT 75 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a pic on 3/5

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

You make us proud, son.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I really try !!

Lake Elsinore, CA

That's how many rows of beans? LOL!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

HOLY! That's what I'm talking about! You'll soon be buried in beans. I have many questions about these stackers so I'm glad you made a thread.

1. Could I put them on my deck, instead of using the pole in the ground? How sturdy are they? Could they topple over easily without the pole?

2. How do you water them? Just pour from the top and it runs down?

3. I would love to get 2 of them. One for more bush beans and one for strawberries. How much does one setup cost?

Everybody's stacker pics are blowing my mind. I can see me trying a couple this year and then next year have about 15 setup lol

Hey, Ray, check out Jaywhacker's threads on this forum. He has some neat setups on platforms and has really got into this big time. D

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Hey, Ray, check out Jaywhacker's threads on this forum. He has some neat setups on platforms and has really got into this big time. D

Oh I have seen a few....he's a Vertical Garden master.

I should have probably searched my questions but I got lazy....alcohol will do that :)

Crestview, FL

Bob: You have DMail and so does TPlant I need the answer yesterday!!!!
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Ray_Der_Phan

Answers:
1.Jaywhacker does deck grow poles. I would worry about them toppling over without some sorta support

2. Yes

3. www.instagarden.com , EZGro.com are two places you can get stacking planters

Crestview, FL

Bob: You know the NJ self watering ones for my deck are on my wish list for next Spring, along with a dwarf tangerine tree, dwarf lemon tree, dwarf lime tree, dwarf pomegrante tree and possibly a dwarf fig. I plant to keep them potted up on the deck. In June, my brother is going to dig up one of the scuppernong white grapes from down at my daddy's place for me, the old folks used to make suppernong wine from the grapes in this area; but, I love those huge white grapes for snacking on.
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

That all sounds great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, now I have got to have some of those. I never thought about beans.

gardenglory, I love my EZGro but those new stackers Bob has look even better for veggies.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

does bob sell them

He does. Go to his marketplace or to http://www.instagarden.com

My garden has already got nto my pocketbook a lot this spring but come summer I will be ordering some of those. Check them out. D

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Bob,
Your large stacker ad says it can accommodate up to 6 per pole, however, you have 7 in the pic. Was' up?

LMK

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:

Answers:
1.Jaywhacker does deck grow poles. I would worry about them toppling over without some sorta support

2. Yes

3. http://www.instagarden.com , EZGro.com are two places you can get stacking planters

Thanks for the answers. Liking the Veggie Producer the best. I'm thinking of only stacking 3-4 of them. Or I may try to rig something on my deck to keep them from toppling over.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda,

The one with seven is the small 12 inch one, silly

BocaBob

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You're growing 105 bean plants in the small 12 inch one? WOW. I'm planning on sowing cowpeas at the end of April (first time). Will they do what yours are doing in the 12 inch? Do I need separate planters or can a mix them together, keeping one variety per level (eg., All purple hulls in one level, all Lady cream peas in the next level, etc.)? LMK soonest, so I can start saving up some more $$$.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Mix and match as you please. I'm not sure about cow peas, never grew them.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

as of 3/17

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

another angle

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here it is today after 30 straight hours of rain.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

another view

Thumbnail by BocaBob

Bob, that last view looks like some little beans are making in there.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

It's getting ready to bean away !!

Crestview, FL

Have ya'll seen the new edition of Gardener's Supply? They have self watering troughs in there and even a self watering vegetable garden, can you imagine? Hmmmm.......no Joyce, you can't afford right now, now Joyce you cant' afford right now, rats!
joyce

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I'll have to check that out

Crestview, FL

Bob: It has an 8 gallon reservoir and you can plant quite a bit in it also. I will have to try the square footers I have first this Spring to see how they do; as they are the same wicking system as those and not really a bad price. They have self watering deck plant holders but they are high priced and only attatch to one size deck rail, not mine I'm afraid. LOL
joy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish Bob could come up with a cheaper version of the conversion kit. Twelve bucks isnt much, but I have at least a hundred daylily pots that this would be just the thing for.

Okay Bob, waiting for news of the "bean pole." It has been a week. D

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

tonight

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

From 2/18 to 3/27 (5 weeks growing) they are starting to flower!

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here they are

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: Beautiful.
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I just noticed in the picture how green the grass is right under the stacked planters. The overflow contains fertilizer and the grass must love it.

Thanks Bob. When will they be ready to pick?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.