Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 148 -It's SPRING!!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960439/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Oh,,,,me first! Aren't those cute koi?????

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Yeah they are cute I guess. lol Is that what you say about fish....??
Where is everyone? I been indoors all day except for a coule of walk a bouts since i am afraid I will get dirt in my cut finger.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'm hanging around, sorta... I have been writing (articles for DG) most of the day except for a break to take some raw apple cider vinegar to a friend with a bad case of shingles. Of course, I'm watching my creek, too. With more rain forecast tonight and tomorrow, flooding is imminent. It's pretty high compared to last night, but hasn't gotten any higher since midday. Of course, it hasn't rained since then either!

It was warm enough this afternoon that I should have struggled in the mud and planted my onions.... Sigh. Now it looks like Good Friday is the next best time.

I managed to "fry" some hard-boiled eggs... put them on to boil, came back to the office and totally forgot about them. Do you know what happens when you do that? They explode! All over the kitchen!! Geez, what a mess, and stinky too.

I'd better see if I can rustle up some dinner... I've been writing about escargot in garlic and butter and now I'm hungry. Not for escargot, although I like them, just anything in garlic and butter!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Just another pop-in to say hi and let you all know I'm following along. Just ain't got much to say without whining, so am being quiet...

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good evening, it was a busy long day. Had early church, then I was invited to sing at another church about 30 miles away. So rushed there, enjoyed the service, and then was invited to lunch with a group of the church people. Didn't get home until about 3:30, and I promptly took a nap, and then have read and watched Desperate Housewives, my favorite tv show, well the only one I actually watch.

Neal, that painting is awesome, gonna try it here, in limited quantities, to see how it looks, then more if it fits in.

Darius, loved the rock structure, is it a chimera? What is the purpose. You don't have to tell me what happens when eggs boil dry. Been there done that.

Bertie, I did love your water feature, I am so envious, I have a slope in my back yard, but probably wouldn't have the same effect, as the swimming pool, and the pump are in the same area, and I probably couldn't hear the water for the pump. Guess I could cut off the pump and listen to it for awhile each evening.

Sue, wow, sure hope that you get to the eye Dr and get that eye taken care of. Since I am so sensitive to eye issues due to the macular degeneration, it is scary to think that you may have something in there causing problems.

msrobin, I am not even gonna ask what your problems are, here's a gently ((hug)) for you.

Who had the cut finger, Veronica? hope that you give it plenty of time to heal before you get out and get to digging in the dirt. There are a lot of nasties out there, and you don't need one of them to cause further problems.

Dogwoods, oh, be still my heart. I have 2 white ones and need a pink one to go with them, also a redbud. Every tree, except one is a spring blooming tree in our yard. The lone non blooming one is a gorgeous red leafed Maple, and it provides color in the fall.

Ric, sounds like you hava a lot of work cut out for you on the weekends. Hope it goes well and quickly.

Well need to go check some other threads, and my e-mail, I need to go to pick up a friend's computer from the repair shop tomorrow, and retrieve my laptop that I loaned him, and a stop by the Humane Society to make an appointment for my female dogs to have surgery at their low cost spay clinic in April. We will officially be out of the Jackabee propagation after that!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I forgot to look up this tempting link to stonework in my last post:
http://www.lewfrenchstone.com/

This guy uses no mortar and his work is incredible. At the top of the homepage are links to interiors, water features, fireplaces, & scuptural works. It's just incredible!

I'd love to learn how to properly lay a drystone wall or fence--- like the ones you see all over Kentucky. Just because I can only walk for abt 2 minutes at a time shouldn't deter me, should it?

Pat

Bonnie, there is no practical use for the stone sphere, just visual pleasure. It has no openings.

Pat, they have summer craft classes at Penland, and usually one is a 2 week dry stonework class. http://www.penland.org/ I always wanted to take it when I lived in Asheville but could never find the time. Summers are a busy time for builders!

I cannot believe how expensive stone is here when we are surrounded by stone. Of course, the stone I'd want for building isn't from around here anyway. It's Tennessee Crab Orchard Stone. http://www.millcreekmachinecutstone.com/crab-orchard-stone.html Frank Lloyd Wright used it for fireplaces (and other things like walls and entranceways) for visual effect.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hey gang
Good to see everyone
darius nice links ,pretty :)
I don't know what a dogwood looks like ? guess i will google it
Bonnie so far so good on the eye ? .I am seeing a dr on wendsday. Can't get a break the last two weeks. head cold too uhg.
T is outside playing in the skidsteer.
time to medicate LOL
hugs
sue

Sue, something must be really "off" in your diet (or environment) for you and the kids to be sick so often.

I planted a pink dogwood last spring. It's about 3 feet tall, and has buds! There's an old dogwood on this property, across the creek from the house. I have no idea what color it is. When the 4 giant weeping willows there leaf out, I can't see the dogwood.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a dogwood....can't tell how good the picture is, hope it's okay.

Thumbnail by joycet

Picture is fine. :) Sue, lots of folklore about dogwoods. Google it.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Peeking in to mark the thread

Hey everybody!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Me, too. Hello. :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Stick around and chat, girls...

Joyce, the pic looks great! It's a beautiful tree. So are the other two on the left. And the pond. And the shrubs. And.....

Very nice.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you Velnita....good to see you!

PS...it's Dusty's now.... :O(

But you have visitation rights. That counts.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, that's true!!! ^_^

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered some fruit bushes, and 1 nut bush.
1 beach plum
3 red currants
1 chinquapin (dwarf nut)
3 blueberries
1 sugar maple for the back yard
3 Nanking cherries
5 chokecherries (came in a pack of 5!)

Most will ship in April (and be charged then too). Several things I wanted were already out of stock. :(

I already have 2 black currants, 2 different gooseberries, an elderberry, lots of raspberries, a few thornless blackberries and 2-3 alpine strawberries. I have some regular strawberries but something gets them before I do. I think I ate 5-6 last year!

I hope by this fall I can afford some fruit TREES.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's my dogwood last spring, with the Japanese maple a nice contrast--- they were both here when I moved in. Note how I forgot to move the trash cans before taking the picture!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

How pretty. The phlox and tulips really set it off.

Ya know, if you hadn't mentioned the trash cans, I would have never noticed them. Very pretty yard.

Yeah, and I like how the creeping phlox falls over the stone wall!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Darius, where did you order the fruit bushes?

Hey Kris! I ordered most of them from Forest Farms and from Nourse. A couple of things are coming from Gurney's along with some seeds, so I could use their $25 coupon.

I really like Forest Farms, their catalog is a paperback book about 400 pages. They were very nice to deal with on the phone, too.

Hey, does anyone know what this is? I hate to make a fool of myself on the plant ID forum... guess I can just wait until it grows more...

Whoops, forgot the photo!

Thumbnail by darius
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Are those flower buds on it?

Yes

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, that looks like a Hellebore.

Neal, that's what I thought too... but I don't remember buying any hellebores last year.

Oh that reminds me one of my hellabore is peeking through yeah giggle
darius nice pics . Thanks for the info . You got alot of berries ! bushes. wow . Yeah i think its just because its so dusty in our house from all the construction that is what i m told. Or i just got rotten luck .LOL
not much here
saw more comming up in my flower bed. I really hope my peonies make it .
darius did you get one from a RU ?
well off to find a snack
sue

Sue, one what? Peony? No, there were some here.

Do you have a central heating system? If so, what kind of filter and how often do you change it?

Here's another shot I took today... If you look closely behind and to the left, you can see teeny tiny sprouts showing on one of my Siberian Iris...

Thumbnail by darius

I have so much to learn .I got a Siberian Iris from the RU . I hope i didn't kill it :(
oh i was talking on the pic you posted "mystery plant "
we have a geothermal and its brand new , not time to change filter yet. But we were told that the first year will be very dusty with all the settling. I still am finding wood chips everywhere LOL
with kids in KIndergarten you are bound to be sick alot. LOL
good night
sue

i just ordered my sweet potatos yeah can't wait .

Sue, I don't remember getting a hellebore from a RU either, unless it was last year in Ohio...

If your home is dusty, I'd sure check the filter and replace it if it has collected lots of dust.

Where did you order sp slips?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius I'd say a Hellebore too.
It was probably in w/ someone's plants at the RU.
George most likely. I don't remember taking any.
I do though remember talking Hellebores w/ someone here.
Ric

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 8:52 PM

Thanks, that's 2 of you who re-affirm what I thought it was. It is still a mystery how I got it, though.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I brought hellebore to the roundups I attended. One at Jazzy's I brought a big clump and let people divide, last fall at Joycets I brought potted seedlings from a friend who breeds them....
So may have come from me...

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Evening friends, it has been a slow day for me, as the RA is kicking up, and have been in so much pain for the last 3 days. Finally called the Dr today, and asked if he could prescribe something else, as the anti inflamatory that I had been taking has my stomach a mess. Finally got some relief late this afternoon, but still not exactly comfortable. This time it is in my right hand and wrist, my left shoulder and my left foot. So will just have to give it time to settle down, and it will, but I sure do hate that it is flaring at this time of year. I have too much that I want/have to do.

So did a few domestic chores like laundry today, and a few other miscellaneous things, cooked supper and then read a bit.

Hope everyone is doing well, and are enjoying the warmer weather that we are having.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.