Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 148 -It's SPRING!!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 235, Views: 2,348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6271540

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960439/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6272028

Oh Oh,,,me first! Aren't those cute koi?????
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6272359

Yeah they are cute I guess. lol Is that what you say about fish...??
Where is everyone? I been indoors all day except for a coule of walk a bouts since i am afraid I will get dirt in my cut finger.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6272645

I'm hanging around, sorta... I have been writing (articles for DG) most of the day except for a break to take some raw apple cider vinegar to a friend with a bad case of shingles. Of course, I'm watching my creek, too. With more rain forecast tonight and tomorrow, flooding is imminent. It's pretty high compared to last night, but hasn't gotten any higher since midday. Of course, it hasn't rained since then either!

It was warm enough this afternoon that I should have struggled in the mud and planted my onions... Sigh. Now it looks like Good Friday is the next best time.

I managed to "fry" some hard-boiled eggs... put them on to boil, came back to the office and totally forgot about them. Do you know what happens when you do that? They explode! All over the kitchen!! Geez, what a mess, and stinky too.

I'd better see if I can rustle up some dinner... I've been writing about escargot in garlic and butter and now I'm hungry. Not for escargot, although I like them, just anything in garlic and butter!

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6273386

Just another pop-in to say hi and let you all know I'm following along. Just ain't got much to say without whining, so am being quiet...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6273570

Good evening, it was a busy long day. Had early church, then I was invited to sing at another church about 30 miles away. So rushed there, enjoyed the service, and then was invited to lunch with a group of the church people. Didn't get home until about 3:30, and I promptly took a nap, and then have read and watched Desperate Housewives, my favorite tv show, well the only one I actually watch.

Neal, that painting is awesome, gonna try it here, in limited quantities, to see how it looks, then more if it fits in.

Darius, loved the rock structure, is it a chimera? What is the purpose. You don't have to tell me what happens when eggs boil dry. Been there done that.

Bertie, I did love your water feature, I am so envious, I have a slope in my back yard, but probably wouldn't have the same effect, as the swimming pool, and the pump are in the same area, and I probably couldn't hear the water for the pump. Guess I could cut off the pump and listen to it for awhile each evening.

Sue, wow, sure hope that you get to the eye Dr and get that eye taken care of. Since I am so sensitive to eye issues due to the macular degeneration, it is scary to think that you may have something in there causing problems.

msrobin, I am not even gonna ask what your problems are, here's a gently ((hug)) for you.

Who had the cut finger, Veronica? hope that you give it plenty of time to heal before you get out and get to digging in the dirt. There are a lot of nasties out there, and you don't need one of them to cause further problems.

Dogwoods, oh, be still my heart. I have 2 white ones and need a pink one to go with them, also a redbud. Every tree, except one is a spring blooming tree in our yard. The lone non blooming one is a gorgeous red leafed Maple, and it provides color in the fall.

Ric, sounds like you hava a lot of work cut out for you on the weekends. Hope it goes well and quickly.

Well need to go check some other threads, and my e-mail, I need to go to pick up a friend's computer from the repair shop tomorrow, and retrieve my laptop that I loaned him, and a stop by the Humane Society to make an appointment for my female dogs to have surgery at their low cost spay clinic in April. We will officially be out of the Jackabee propagation after that!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6273911

I forgot to look up this tempting link to stonework in my last post:
http://www.lewfrenchstone.com/

This guy uses no mortar and his work is incredible. At the top of the homepage are links to interiors, water features, fireplaces, & scuptural works. It's just incredible!

I'd love to learn how to properly lay a drystone wall or fence--- like the ones you see all over Kentucky. Just because I can only walk for abt 2 minutes at a time shouldn't deter me, should it?

Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6274750

Bonnie, there is no practical use for the stone sphere, just visual pleasure. It has no openings.

Pat, they have summer craft classes at Penland, and usually one is a 2 week dry stonework class. http://www.penland.org/ I always wanted to take it when I lived in Asheville but could never find the time. Summers are a busy time for builders!

I cannot believe how expensive stone is here when we are surrounded by stone. Of course, the stone I'd want for building isn't from around here anyway. It's Tennessee Crab Orchard Stone. http://www.millcreekmachinecutstone.com/crab-orchard-stone.html Frank Lloyd Wright used it for fireplaces (and other things like walls and entranceways) for visual effect.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6274889

Hey gang
Good to see everyone
darius nice links ,pretty :)
I don't know what a dogwood looks like ? guess i will google it
Bonnie so far so good on the eye ? .I am seeing a dr on wendsday. Can't get a break the last two weeks. head cold too uhg.
T is outside playing in the skidsteer.
time to medicate LOL
hugs
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6274948

Sue, something must be really "off" in your diet (or environment) for you and the kids to be sick so often.

I planted a pink dogwood last spring. It's about 3 feet tall, and has buds! There's an old dogwood on this property, across the creek from the house. I have no idea what color it is. When the 4 giant weeping willows there leaf out, I can't see the dogwood.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6274987

This is a dogwood...can't tell how good the picture is, hope it's okay.

Thumbnail by joycet

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6275024

Picture is fine. :) Sue, lots of folklore about dogwoods. Google it.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6275462

Peeking in to mark the thread

Hey everybody!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6275518

Me, too. Hello. :)
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6275613

Stick around and chat, girls...
valrita

March 16, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6275640

Joyce, the pic looks great! It's a beautiful tree. So are the other two on the left. And the pond. And the shrubs. And...

Very nice.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6275670

Thank you Velnita...good to see you!

PS...it's Dusty's now... :O(
valrita

March 16, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6275754

But you have visitation rights. That counts.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6275786

Oh yes, that's true!!! :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6275998

Well, I just bit the bullet and ordered some fruit bushes, and 1 nut bush.
1 beach plum
3 red currants
1 chinquapin (dwarf nut)
3 blueberries
1 sugar maple for the back yard
3 Nanking cherries
5 chokecherries (came in a pack of 5!)

Most will ship in April (and be charged then too). Several things I wanted were already out of stock. :(

I already have 2 black currants, 2 different gooseberries, an elderberry, lots of raspberries, a few thornless blackberries and 2-3 alpine strawberries. I have some regular strawberries but something gets them before I do. I think I ate 5-6 last year!

I hope by this fall I can afford some fruit TREES.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6276027

Here's my dogwood last spring, with the Japanese maple a nice contrast--- they were both here when I moved in. Note how I forgot to move the trash cans before taking the picture!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

valrita

March 16, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6276046

How pretty. The phlox and tulips really set it off.

Ya know, if you hadn't mentioned the trash cans, I would have never noticed them. Very pretty yard.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6276081

Yeah, and I like how the creeping phlox falls over the stone wall!

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6276459

Darius, where did you order the fruit bushes?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6276477

Hey Kris! I ordered most of them from Forest Farms and from Nourse. A couple of things are coming from Gurney's along with some seeds, so I could use their $25 coupon.

I really like Forest Farms, their catalog is a paperback book about 400 pages. They were very nice to deal with on the phone, too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6276491

Hey, does anyone know what this is? I hate to make a fool of myself on the plant ID forum... guess I can just wait until it grows more...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6276496

Whoops, forgot the photo!

Thumbnail by darius

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6276569

Are those flower buds on it?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6276642

Yes
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6276687

Darius, that looks like a Hellebore.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6276748

Neal, that's what I thought too... but I don't remember buying any hellebores last year.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6277517

Oh that reminds me one of my hellabore is peeking through yeah giggle
darius nice pics . Thanks for the info . You got alot of berries ! bushes. wow . Yeah i think its just because its so dusty in our house from all the construction that is what i m told. Or i just got rotten luck .LOL
not much here
saw more comming up in my flower bed. I really hope my peonies make it .
darius did you get one from a RU ?
well off to find a snack
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6277671

Sue, one what? Peony? No, there were some here.

Do you have a central heating system? If so, what kind of filter and how often do you change it?

Here's another shot I took today... If you look closely behind and to the left, you can see teeny tiny sprouts showing on one of my Siberian Iris...

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6277724

I have so much to learn .I got a Siberian Iris from the RU . I hope i didn't kill it :(
oh i was talking on the pic you posted "mystery plant "
we have a geothermal and its brand new , not time to change filter yet. But we were told that the first year will be very dusty with all the settling. I still am finding wood chips everywhere LOL
with kids in KIndergarten you are bound to be sick alot. LOL
good night
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6277735

i just ordered my sweet potatos yeah can't wait .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6277803

Sue, I don't remember getting a hellebore from a RU either, unless it was last year in Ohio...

If your home is dusty, I'd sure check the filter and replace it if it has collected lots of dust.

Where did you order sp slips?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6277852

Darius I'd say a Hellebore too.
It was probably in w/ someone's plants at the RU.
George most likely. I don't remember taking any.
I do though remember talking Hellebores w/ someone here.
Ric

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 8:52 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6277863

Thanks, that's 2 of you who re-affirm what I thought it was. It is still a mystery how I got it, though.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6278098

I brought hellebore to the roundups I attended. One at Jazzy's I brought a big clump and let people divide, last fall at Joycets I brought potted seedlings from a friend who breeds them...
So may have come from me...

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6278354

Evening friends, it has been a slow day for me, as the RA is kicking up, and have been in so much pain for the last 3 days. Finally called the Dr today, and asked if he could prescribe something else, as the anti inflamatory that I had been taking has my stomach a mess. Finally got some relief late this afternoon, but still not exactly comfortable. This time it is in my right hand and wrist, my left shoulder and my left foot. So will just have to give it time to settle down, and it will, but I sure do hate that it is flaring at this time of year. I have too much that I want/have to do.

So did a few domestic chores like laundry today, and a few other miscellaneous things, cooked supper and then read a bit.

Hope everyone is doing well, and are enjoying the warmer weather that we are having.

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6278711

Darius, thanks for the info...am going to check both places out..there are some fruiting bushes I would like to get but wondering about the climate here. Its not always conducive to a lot of plants.

Kris
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6279693

Hi all! Know I've been a stranger around here :( Sorry. I've lost track of what everyone is doing and how they are so if I stick my foot in my mouth please forgive me :) Some of you know I had surgery in mid-Dec. Felt soooo much better afterwards but now that I am well enough to do things the energy is gone! I think it's just the hormones in my body re-adjusting. Hope the energy comes back soon.
Am sick as a dog right now. DH had a terrible cold which I got about day 5 of him having it. Of course, as usual, the cold upgraded to bronchitis on me so now on antibiotics, etc. Coughed so much today my throat got sore, stomach muscles sore, and neck hurts. Robitussin no help so finally took an extra lortab which finally stopped the coughing. OK, there's my whine so will talk about other things now ;~)

darius, I love the selection at Forest Farm but never ordered from them because of the shipping cost. Found this place the other day and hope to do an order from them http://www.eat-it.com/ They are in your neck of the woods. Really enjoyed the site.

OK, wrote most of this last night but didn't finish so sending now.

Lana
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6279723

Lana, I've ordered from ForestFarm and really loved dealing with them. I compare prices, figure in shipping, and do a lot of shopping around before I decide on a source. With FF, definitely not a place just to order 1 or 2 plants, but if you buy a few it can work out to be a good deal. I got several Heucheras from them a few years ago, and at the time they ended up being cheaper than any of the other sources I found, even with shipping worked in.

Hope you're on the road to recovery :-)
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6279734

I ALWAYS drool over their catalog, Neal...sigh, one of these days ;) I feel soooo much better than I did before surgery. My garden will see the results of my feeling better, had a bad gardening year last year.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6279774

Goodmorning, My Friends! Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying a bit of spring time weather! Had a relapse on the pneumonia, but I think I'm finally over it!

Nothing really new down here in Arkansas. Guys had 4 rain-out days last week and a mud-out yesterday...so far, so good this morning...unless they call a fog-out. LOL!

All the plants I started from seed are ready to move outside. Got most of them potted up already in buckets and dishpans with holes drilled in the bottoms. I think it's still a bit early to put them outdoors, but I'll be setting them on the southside of the back patio roof, so I think I can easily rig a plastic tent if need be. Hopefully, if this job ends before they produce, we can take most of them home with us. If not, guess I'll take them to an elderly neighbor across the road.

The better half of our roommate couple went back to NC for a couple of weeks, so we're getting a break from the little dogs. Don't get me wrong, I like the little dogs and they have great personalities, but they have a lot of bad habits. One chews/tears up anything soft (toilet paper, trash, pillows, comforters) he can get hold of and the other chews hard stuff (the interior of her car, furniture). They both hike their hind leg at every turn in the house and the Maltese won't go to the door when he needs to go out, just heads to the utility room. Won't be doing the roommate-thing again!

Remember the problems we had with the KY bank after the ice storm? Well, now there has a been a breach in the data security which affected every customer. We're awaiting new cards and pin numbers, hopefully arriving before our current cards are canceled on Thursday. Fortunately, Al has been having 25% of his income direct-deposited in our other bank, so we won't be in such a bind again.

Guess that's it for now. Keep your fingers crossed that winter is out of here!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6279806

i got my slips from New Hope Seed Co
i will check the filter ,
holy cow my inlaws just showed up and i m in my jammies ack
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6279995

The plants I ordered from Forest Farm are ALL small, grown and shipped in a tube. I wanted some other fruits from them but they were only available potted, and the shipping from the west coast to the east coast for potted plants is a killer! I got (I think) 6 tubes, shipping was $13. Two of those are a hardy rosemary. What I've tried to grow here never make it through the winter, and the ones I had in Asheville, just half a zone warmer, grew to 4-5 feet.

As to"eat-it.com"... that's Michael, who has ediblelandscaping.com. I've been there, it's just outside Charlottesville. He really has some very nice plants, propagates them there instead of buying seedlings. He has a plum I really, really want and cannot fine elsewhere, Green-leafed Aycock. He has a few other things I cannot find elsewhere, like a good selection of hardy kiwi, and some others not in the catalog.

However, his prices are very high, and his rating in the GardenWatchdog isn't so wonderful. I will buy there if I can go in person and pick out my plants to save shipping. Fortunately, I go up there every 6 months at least, for medical tests at UV hospital. I go again in early June.

Thanks, Sue... I'll look at New Hope. I'd really like to grow sp's, so much more nutrition than white potatoes. I usually end up doing butternuts as a substitute.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6280484

Two hours later... Sue I looked at New Hope Seed (good company, BTW), and then several university sites on growing sweet potatoes. I think I shall have to wait until next year when I have a better-prepared area for them. Good luck with yours!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6280494

Hanging wall cabs here at work today.
Easy day!

Today is my Father Richard's 90th Birthday!
I talked to him earlier and he sounded fine.
He doesn't know us anymore but he's still fun to talk to...

I'll post a Saturday Party pic of him when I get home.

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6282668

msrobin good to see you yikes on the phenumonia SP ? glad your feeling better. I think your roomies little dogs need more excersise. Look like they may be frusterated, and getting out there energy on chewing . Bummer on the bank isssues again :(
darius hmmm i m just sticking them in my raised bed. With some compost . I really havn't researched how to grow them. Guess i better get checking on that LOL yikes. I m going to do a cover crop on alot of the area around the garden for the following spring.
Ric wow 90 !! looking forward to seeing the pics of your pop. :)
not much here
started taking GH apart
good night everyone'
sleep well
hugs
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6282728

Well, today was another do almost nothing day. Still in pain, and energy level is about a 3 on a scale of 1-10. Dr's office called in a prescription late this afternoon, and I will pick it up tomorrow while grocery shopping.

Robin, sorry about your relapse, maybe the last hurrah of illness before spring. Glad that you are getting a break from the little dogs, and hope that you will be able to bear them until this job ends.

We have been missing Joyce and Dusty and Bertie and others guess they are out playing in the dirt.

Sue be prepared for those sweet potatoes to cover a good area. They will spread, and get quite big. DH only fertilizes them when he plants them, and just makes sure they have adequate water. What variety did you get? He plants several varieties, a long red one, and a shorter, but broader orange one. Different tastes entirely.

Darius, how long will it take for the fruit bushes/shrubs to bear fruit? Second year maybe?

I did get out and walk about today, and have many things that are up and have some little spring blooming bulbs which are a bright blue almost purple, but on a stem about 2" tall. Can't remember what I planted there last fall.

The fella got here today to start working on the electric in my garden shed. Worked about 3 hours after finishing his day job, and will come back on Thursday to finish up, or hopefully so.

Okay off to check my e-mail and some other threads, and then off to bed. Good night everybody.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6282767

Ric, Happy Birthday to your Dad!

I got a goodie today from the man who sells me eggs. He had just cut his very first shiitake harvest and gave me a few to try. They are about 3-1/2" across, and SO fresh! He doesn't know yet what he will charge for them, no doubt more than I can spend without cutting something else out...

Next week he's giving me some more thornless blackberries, "Triple Crown" he needs to thin. He had some buffalo currant bushes in his truck he is transplanting closer to his house, but I couldn't talk him out of one since his family loves them. Sigh... (oh to be young and cute again!)

Bonnie, some might bear a tiny bit of fruit this year but probably not. Next year will be a small crop but by the third year, they should take off. Remember, I bought very small plants to reduce shipping charges.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
5:57 AM

Post #6283629

Hi, gang,
Bonnie, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly. I hope your "flare" gets tamped down soon.
Darius, thanks for the link to Penland, that looks like a really interesting place, tho' too far for me to travel until 1. I get a whole back transplant or 2. I get a whole body transplant or 3. I go in my resurrected body, which I sincerely hope will be in better shape than this one!!!!!
I've bought things from Forest Farm & have had 100% wonderful dealings with them.. Their catalogue also gives information no one else has, or cares to share. I don't want to go to the nursery & ask for a specific variety of cherry or crabapple, & have some lunkhead tell me that "that one's pink and the other one's white." Armed with the FF catalogue, I can really have an idea abt what I'm getting.
Visited the audiologist & chose my hearing aids-- I have to have 2. They come in quite an array of colors & patterns... why, I'm not sure. Now I just have to rustle up 4000 bucks to pay for them. Sheesh! Maybe I should just join a silent order of nuns so I wouldn't have to worry abt hearing!
I have 2 more varieties of daffs blooming, but still no camera battery charger so I can take pictures. 4 out of 5 packages of deer fence enclosure arrived. Saw a neighbor who was starting 2 new raised beds-- for onions. She said she's crazy abt onions this year. Each bed is big enough that I'd be able to put 8-12 tomato plants in. Isn't that a lot of space for onions?
Wondering, wandering, & confused as usual,
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6284159

Bonnie i hope you start to feel better soon. I got Jet Star ? Good to know on the growing tips. Thank you . :)
darius good score on the shrooms !
well Dh is calling
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6284612

Goodmorning! Hope everyone is feeling well this morning! I'm sure you all feel the same way...I'm getting tired of feeling sickly or achy most of the time! Is it the weather changes, or (gasp) just age creeping up on us? LOL! Today should go a long way in lifting my spirits, as it's suppose to reach 80 and be sunny all day!

It's nice to hear about what you all have coming up! Can't wait to get home to see how my perrenials are doing. I moved all of my seedlings outside yesterday. Not growing much down here (just a few of the basic veggies and a few herbs and flowers), but it sure is nice to be watching something grow. Decided I'd just dig up a little 8' x 10' garden space off the back patio for the vegetables and then buy a roll of plastic netting to put a cheap, temporary fence around it. Found out the neighbor is putting in her own garden and these plants will be too big and take up too much room to take home. Figured when we leave here, it will be nice for the new renters to have a little garden to start with.

Samson is being his usually good self these days, now that the little dogs are gone for a couple of weeks. Much quieter around here, too!

Take care, Friends!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6284776

Good morning all! The bionic woman is back!!! LOL! How I wish I was!
Darius, I had a good chuckle over your ' oh to be young and cute again!'...even though it isn't funny to us!
Bonnie, sure hope the RA is doing better this morning?
I finally broke down and called the drs office yesterday...this being the 4th week of this sinus infection! I just kept thinking and hoping it would end on it's own...but wasn't happening. NEVER...have I had something like this!! Sooo..he DID call in a prescription for me. I didn't have to go in. I was pleased about that, because I figure at my age, I know how to describe my symptoms...and also know when it's important to see the dr. Hopefully, this med will clear this up and soon. Have to take it for two weeks.
I have been working outside the last two days. Such beautiful weather!!!
Going out today too. Hope you all get the chance to do the same.
Got down on my new knees for the first time ..the first day out. Of course I had builder's gel knee pads on...and a kneeling bench as well. I was sore that night! But the next morning..it was better...so did it again yesterday. Again...better today. I am pleased!!
Got my onions planted two days ago...and potatoes are cut and scabbing over. Wonder how long I should wait on that?????? Anybody know? Been a while since I grew potatoes.
Well...off to get a few things done here. You all have a great day!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6284845

Pat, I'm planting about that much area, maybe more, for onions (have 160 sets). Some I will use early as scallions, some small bulbs in summer salads, and the rest to cure and store to use all winter. I cook with a lot of onions.

Hearing loss runs amok in my family; my mother had 2 aids, as did all of her siblings. I have some loss already, and really have to pay close attention if it's a group conversation. I'll just have to get an old-fashioned hearing horn when the time comes, as Medicare won't pay for aids.

Robin, I think it must be hard to start a garden you will leave behind, but I'd do it too. Such a therapeutic endeavor.

I bought some swiss chard seedlings yesterday since I haven't gotten around to starting seeds. Of course, we have some freezing nights forecast for this weekend, and next weekend too. If I had some row cover, that would work... but no pennies to buy any right now. It wouldn't get here in time anyway. Every year I say I am going to buy some for spring and fall use, and then I forget until I need it and then it's too late...

I climbed up the hill behind the house yesterday to the spot where I uncovered 2-3 "maybe apple" trees last fall. They have buds and need pruning and the rest of the honeysuckle vines pulled out before the poison ivy is up. I'm thinking they are possibly crab apples, and their placement to each other is not good. I'll work on shaping them more this year, and if one does well, I'll leave it and cut down the other 2. If none do well, I'll cut them all down and save one as rootstock and graft some good apple onto it.

Using that as rootstock will naturally dwarf whatever I graft. Of course, I've never actually grafted anything although I've studied up on it for several months for a DG article (which I won't write until I finish doing some grafts and have some experience).

Well, the sun is shining, need to get something going outside... Good going on the kneeling, Marcy!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6285213

Marcy i hope this sinus thing get better soon. What yukky feeling .
msrobin so good to have you chipper, i guess your feeling better today ,> Yeah on the 80's for you . We are windy here today with a forcast of thunder storms .
eye dr says i m all good to go and no glaucoma either yeah on that one.
T is off to get his test for CDL wish him luck. Job still arn't going well , not any are starting yet. Chinese have to over talk everything to death !!!!!! i mean for goodness sake make a decision already !!! grrrrr. they take weeks to make a simple decision ? agravating.
gonna get some mints today from RIchters . Mabye some other stuff too.
ttyl
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6285347

Well we bought a new toy yesterday.
That Wet Saw we have is too small to cut our Travertine...
Harbor Freight has a 1.5 Horsepower 7" blade one w/ stand for 229.
Then we got a sale adddddddd...
the 2.5 Horse 10" blade normally 299 was 229... w/o blade and stand...
and there was a 15% off coupon.
So w/ the Sale and the Coupon and the 20 dollar blade and tax
our cost was 240 total!
It's a HORSE! 140 Pounds!
I got another 15% off coupon from a guy at work.
We're going to get the stand tomorrow.
I figure we can do all our projects and if we want sell the whole rig for near what we paid for it.
But I'm guessing it will open up a new avenue of projects.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95385

Ric
Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6285370

I'm back to share what I hope will turn out to be good news. I was just scheduled to take the Census Supervisor's test next Wednesday up in Wytheville. I'm told it's similar to the crew test I took (and scored 90%) and supposedly it's a pass-fail only. Wish me luck, please. The census jobs are only of several weeks' duration anyway but the supervisors get more hours. I'd love to make enough money to get a new upper denture that FITS.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6285454

Good afternoon all!
God it is beautiful out there today! I went out early to check on critters and just walked around looking at mini iris, snow drop, crocus everywhere(I went a little nuts last fall with them) and daff foliage everywhere. There is major budage on trees and shrubs. I just pray we don't have a hard freeze. The new green house came yesterday, so It's going up right after this post.

The new room mate appears to be a really a cool guy. He really keeps to himself. He is also a computer geek and has all kinds of things to add to my computer to "beef" it up. The house is finally getting back to a normal state. Clearing my room out and adding his stuff was quite a chore, but my farm friends gave me a bay to store things for hopefully a new flea booth in the near future. We still had so much stuff I had held on to that it took 2 vans to haul it to Goodwill. I am such a pack rat.

Well my latest good deed was rescuing another hound/beagle mix. Of course she was pregnant and had 6 little ones over the weekend. She is so sweet and will be a new member of the family, but will be fixed as soon as those pups are weaned. I already have 2 placed They are the prettiest smokey blue. Another one is a chocolate light colored brown and the others are beagle looking. I just love puppies, but NO MORE DOGS!! LOL I will try to get a pic soon, but she is very protective right now and don't want to upset her. The crazy thing was is that a hen is trying to set in there also(dog house) and I moved here last night to another nest and she had 2 puppies under her. My poor confused animals.

Went to the cardiologist yesterday and I passed with flying colors. He was really happy that I was having the lap band. He said it could add 20 years to my life. Heart, lung and vascular system all doing well. I got his consent for the surgery. Just a few more test and It's a go! Those will be done in the next 2 weeks and if that all is normal. It's a go. I already have instant approval from insurance.

Well I have not posted like I should so just know I am thinking of you all and hope everyone a great spring day and keep pain free and healthy!
George
One more question. What are the needs of sweet potatoes? I am getting conflicting info. I know some of you have first hand experience.

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6285467

Yay for you Darius!!! Keeping you in my T & P!!
Ric...good deal! Now I know where to get help when I need it...lol!!!
Ok...just FYI...cut seed potatoes into sections with two to three eyes or sprouts...Let cut pieces set for two days to callus over...then plant in 4 inch deep rows...12 inches apart...covering with two inches of soil. That's what I just read on Mother Earth News Online. So...answered my question!
Sue...tell hubby good luck on the CDL. I passed mine once...then had back surgery...so never got to use it!
Ok...off to plant spuds!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6285507

One more pic

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6285544

I lied. You have to see these mini iris.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6285571

Pretty flowers Geo and yeah on the heart going well for you. !!!! glad to hear things are going well with the roomie.
Marcy you go girl on the CDL !
Geo here is a link to some info on the SP.
i was confused and gave the wrong name LOL Geogia Jet is the one i got. Not Jet Star ? how i got that name is well... ? what can i say. ? LOL
http://www.newhopeseed.com/vegetable/sweet_potato_growing_harvesting.htm
Bonnie's DH grows them also . Can get good advice from her.
Im bored. :(
i have so much to do and i can't do any of it. :(
Oh i was down in the basement getting what i thought was 2x4 and guess ... they are 2x6 ! yeah on that and i have 4- 20 ft ones. I still got more ! so that will be the new base for the GH. Then i will tuck the plastic under and staple it in the inside. Then do a chicken tractor also. I also am going to do two mini GH on the raised beds. Using pvc pipe, 2x4 and plastic. For fall planting.
i don't know how to measure for mitered corners so T has to do that for me.
ttyl
sue
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6285619

Indynanny-How is your hand healing? I know you must hate missing these two "good" days for working in the dirt. I've been outside all day and thought of you and your poor hand. Hope it heals quickly. Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6285890

Resting for a few!
Geo...love the flowers!
I been looking around...and looks like to me...I might have lost a great deal of things this winter! Some..it's really too early to tell...but I just have a feeling! Not good!
Sue...If I had those 2x 6's ...I'd build an arbor ...a BIG one...lol!
I think my building days are over though ...:(.
It is really windy here today. I have to have a hooded sweatshirt on...with hood up! I don't need my sinus thingy to get any worse. Would much rather be without it though!
Well...guess I better get back at it! Dave ran to the store for milk, etc...so if he finds me on the puter...I will hear about it!!! Later!!!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6285988

Just popped in and saw some things to comment on...

Sue, you make us proud! It's cool that you're getting out there building. Just plan your work and work your plan, and you'll be fine!

Ric, yet another great score!

Darius, Great going! It would really be nice for you to have some extra money to play with! That job may last longer than a few weeks. I got a call yesterday, too. I told him I wasn't available right now. He asked for a reason to write down and if he could call me later, as they would be hiring into the fall.

Anyone know what's going on with Dusty? She hasn't posted for a few days. And Bertie and Joyce...

Bonnie, hope your feeling better!

Marcy, so glad you are doing better and able to get out and play!

Geo, bless you for rescuing the mama dog! Too funny about the hen. Maybe she'll lay some eggs and start sitting on them.

Hi, Lou!

I still haven't got out to do anything, but am getting some of my wifely duties done in between computer breaks. LOL!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6286058

In to whine a bit... I'm such a klutz! I tripped and fell on the cement sidewalk again, thankfully not on my face this time. My left elbow got the brunt, and my left knee. I had on jeans and a flannel shirt so no blood. Tripped on the same stupid corner as when I fell with the armful of firewood earlier this year. Guess I'm gonna have to fill that corner (after I get over being stiff and sore, which I know I will be). I ache already where I pulled muscles.

George, that's TOO FUNNY about the hen setting on the puppies! Wish you'd been able to get a photo!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 18, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6286817

(((Good Heavens, Darius!))) You're gonna end up breaking a bone or two! Got to be more careful!

George, forgot to say "way to go" on getting more clearance for the surgery!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6286832

darius ! you poor thang . ! aint that the pits falling again. Good thing not on your face this time. Glad your ok .
thanks msrobin ! i do have a plan but weather is playing a part in it. LOL We are kinda busy this week wiht T and his projects so mine are squeezed in . :)
Bonnie how are you feeling today ? any better .
Marcy yes it was windy , we are blowing like crazy here . I would love an arbor too :)
Them three ladies have run off and are busy being wild women at the homestead .
Geo that is funny about the dog. where are the pics ! ??? hmmm... were waiting ... tapping foot ... :)
so we are inside for the night , had some rain ,
the birds are all singing and spring noises are hear.
I looked at one of my peonies and i think i buried them to deep. Hmmm i m thinking of digging them up while still doormant and redigging them ?
still wondering
ttyl
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6286920

Hey Sue...peonies go 2 inches below the soil..no lower. Guess you could try digging them up...not sure if they would bloom this year for you though? They will come up if deeper than the two inches...but probably not bloom.
Yeah...rain here too. Supposed to rain most of the night and then stop early tomorrow with colder temps. YUK!
Darius...stop that falling before you break something!!!!
George...meant to say how cute on the hen with the puppies! She must be broody.
And WTG on the getting ready for the lap band too!! More power to ya I say!!
Well, got the flower bed behind the house...which was my tropical area cleaned up as much as possible ...and then edged today. The soil was nice for that! Then Dave trimmed the yellow trumpet vine there...big time!! He cut it wayyyyyy back!. It needed it. There was a lot of dead wood in there. I'm sure it will come back gangbusters!
By the time he hauled all that dead stuff away, it had started to sprinkle and was suppertime...so that ended today's work!
It was enough...we both were pooped! Can't do as much at one time like we used to!
Oh well...rest a few cold days...and then warmer again...and back at it!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6287094

I think i may dig up two or three and see how it goes , let the rest lie until fall . ? can't hurt. I have replanted several with all of our moving. Dig up from house #1 (early fall) , then plant at apt (same fall), then dig up and plant at house #2 in (following spring )l whew. If i were a peony i wouldn't flower either LOL
good to know Marcy thanks :)
sounds like your getting alot done over there.
its really raining here. :(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6287369

Hi Guys... I'm sorry to have worried everyone...
I have been really sick since Sunday afternoon...I wasn't feeling right so I took one of Bons Naps, and when I woke up, I thought I was catching a cold, as I was Chilled and Sniffy...Hit the Zicam bottle, and oh yeah, I'll be fine tomorrow...Monday hit, I woke to *I can't breathe* at 4am, got up, hit the bottle again, woke again about 9am and felt ..ok...but nose was runny... Went out and tore all the rock out of the waterfall, as I was losing an inch a day or better in the pond from the 4 leaks I found near the top of the falls from winter settling...Back hurt...Hit the loveseat about 4pm and died...Forgot to take anymore Zicam all day Monday...and between then and about 1am this morning, I thought I would have to get better to die for real...Been many years since I have been sick especially like that, and it dropped me like a bomb...Limeade, Zicam, yogurt and Imodium saved me ...

I made it out today to the grocery, and Lowes to get Jim a new circuit tester, and the SA to drop off a small box, and got a brand new still in the bag Ralph Lauren light summer blankie for the guest room bed for $3.99 and hit the door...I went to Big Lots on the way to Lowes, and got a new set of pruning shears for $8 and hit the door again...Did the Lowes thang and bought myself a Climbing Peace rose for $3.98...My check... my treat to me for my Vets Garden...Then did Krogers, and hauled tail home as my back was screaming by then...Thankfully, I bought Pizza, and Jim cooked and served supper...I did get my pond fish fed, because when I went down to dip a cupfull of their water for my new lil Pink dogwood tree Cookie got for me, they all came flying to the rock edge checking out the measuring cup (It holds 8 cups)...and I wasn't up to hooking up the hose again...
I dipped the water, did the tree and came to the porch for their chow and went back down and fed them...Now I am glued to my chair for the duration...
We had a light drizzle start here about 7pm, but it has quit already...I guess it is supposed to do this all night...That's okay...I have alot of things up already now that will be grateful for a drink of water...and it will help me get the dern weeds pulled when it lets up again...This last 3 days of warm and me not able to get out, has really hurt my timing as I still have a ton of cleanup to do, much less any seeding or planting...

I gotta tell y'all...I have bins ready to drop over my roses because I still think we are gonna get hit one more time between now and Easter...I just think this is the *Calm before the storm*...Just a feeling...

I am off to the hot shower, more Zicam, and my rack...Oh yeah... Bertie had a Dr appt for a relative, and Cookie did too for her Dads knee again, but now she is supervising the digging of her new pond...which is going to be about 4 times the size of mine, so I wouldn't count on seeing her very much anytime soon...ROFLLLLLL

Have a good evening...Not to worry...the *Sandwich* here is fine...

~~~~~~~~~ to all... sorry...I'll try to catch up tomorrow...
valrita

March 19, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6287539

The little pink buds on the roots of peonies are called eyes. The eyes need to be less than 2 inches from the surface so that the peony can get the cold it needs to bloom. Whether or not they bloom has already been decided by how much cold they've received so far this winter. If the eyes aren't too deep, you may be able to simply brush away the soil from the eyes so that only 2 inches or less is covering them.

Peonies go dormant in the autumn so that's considered the best time to move them.

So far, only 2 of my 5 peonies have broken dormancy. I haven't seen anything from my mid and late season peonies yet.

Does anyone else have peonies? Have yours broken dormancy yet? If so, are they early, mid, or late season peonies? Just curious.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6287623

Lou My finger is healing much better than expected but I have really missed not being able to do anything in the garden beds this week. I did plant some pansies in clay pots for my front porch but was careful and wore rubber gloves.
I am leaving for FL Sat morning with my daughter. She is on Spring break next week from her job as a math teacher. My SIL has a condo there and we are going to visit her. I am so white I will have to really smear on the sunscreen when I go outside. DH said he would just rather stay here in his own digs and that is what he will do. He planted some onions, lettuce and spinach today. I could only stand around and watch.lol
Actually I have been plenty busy taking care of my 2 1/2 year old GD. Her mama has had a bad migraine and we had to pick her up yesterday and then kept her last night and today. She is a real sweet baby but I am several years older than when I kept the other grands. We played outside a lot and she loves that.
My daffs are blooming now and I have a few of the real old fashioned ones we always called Easter flowers. They are growing as close to my house as possible cause this house was built over where one burned many years ago as this house is 60 years old. I guess the man who built it didn't even know there had been flowers there. I am now and have been for a few years trying to dig them and move them into a better spot. Sometimes I just chop them up but have managed to get a few clumps growing.
I will have my work cut out for me when I get home as all of you are getting a head start on me. I will have to work night and day to catch up.
Can't do that I am too old and stiff.
Think I will go to bed and read myself to sleep.
Good night all
Veronica

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6288048

Good evening, yes, I am feeling better, but still not 100%. Dusty ((hugs)) to you, sounds like you have been through the wringer.

George, laughed out loud about the hen sitting on he puppies. You have got to get us a picture of that, and congrats on another hurdle cleared on the way to the lapband.

Marcy, sounds like you and DH are making good progress on the clean up. But be careful with the sinus infection those things can and will hang on forever if not taken care of.

Velnita, I have some early peonies, and I am seeing the beginnings of them coming up, and then some later ones with nothing showing. And it probably is warmer here than at your place.

Sue, I think I would leave the peonies alone, and see what they do this spring/summer, then dig and reposition them in the fall. They do so much better DH says to say to tell you that he uses Miracle Grow when he plants the sweet potatoes, then when they start to "run" fertilizes with 10-10-10, and works it in around each plant. Then pray for rain, and lots of it, or water, water, water. Using the Miracle Grow about once a week. He has good luck with them, and we usually have some monsters. He usually plants 2 varieties, but he can't remember the names right now. We suffer daily from that sometimers disease.

Darius, gosh woman, you got to be more careful. You will end up with a broken hip, and then they will have to shoot you like a horse. Don't want that to happen!!

DH is busily filleting fish, he has fished everyday this week, and he is getting a good start on the fish fry main course!!

I did the grocery/errand thing today, came home and had a nap, and then after supper filled the trays with dirt so that I can seed my tomatoes tomorrow. DH seeded his hybrids tonight, 4 trays of 250 each, and I am sowing 25 varieties, 8 plants each, so I think we will have plenty of tomatoes. A lot will go to friends and neighbors, but when the greenhouse goes up, and we start charging, bet the friends and neighbors will not be customers!! They will be offended when we start charging.

Well, off to check my email, then off to bed.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6289178

Rise & Shine, Peeps!

Interesting about the sweet potatoes. The first year I bought slips (6 years ago) I read they liked drier loose sandy soil, so didn't water them much. That summer was pretty rainy, though and we had some biguns. Since then, all of mine have been pretty puny looking. Guess I need to make sure they get more water. Haven't really fertilized anything either. Guess I better start doing that, too.

Bonnie, your're putting up a greenhouse and starting a business? Glad you are feeling some better!

Sue I did the same thing with my peonies (fruit trees and grapes, too), but only in the yard. Changed our mind about the location the first summer, so moved them. The 2nd year they still didn't do anything. The 3rd year I moved them again and now they are quite happy in their new homes. Funny that the roses were perfectly happy with their first location...luckily, so I was I. LOL!

Dusty, glad you are doing better, too. Sucks being sick when you have a couple of nice spring days. I took the guys to work this morning, so I could keep the car, and will get your seeds to the post office in a little while. Should receive them by Monday.

Velnita, thanks for the good info on the peonies!

Indy, I missed what happened to your finger, but glad it's healing well! Enjoy your trip to FL!

Got to get moving on running all my errands, so hoping everyone has a great day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6289295

good morning
good to know on the peonies. Ok will leave them be. Thanks :) i knew that they needed to be low depth dug, but i guess i didn't ask to define low depth LOL ?
T is off at his oreintation and i m stuck with no truck , man i wish we could have keeped the other truck :( to muddy for any outdoor projects.
Bonnie glad your feeling a bit better. Thanks for the advice on the SP. I m going to fill my rain barrels and use them for watering. I put them in the back of the kabota and fill them at the house hose. Good to know :)
well i m off to find somthing to do
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6289335

Good Morning!
Velnita, I have 3 peonies that were here when I got here. The blooms were spent (although evident) when we first looked at this house about the middle of May, 2006, but I don't know if that's early, mid- or late for blooms. I moved them the first fall I was here and now I don't like where they are. I'm moving them again this fall.

Please don't take this wrong because I'm not trying to criticize or change anybody, but Miracle-Gro is toxic to the environment. I don't jump on anyone else for using it as long as they understand the effects of using it. Most people don't know, just like I didn't know until a few years ago. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/441806/ (I'm really upset at all the chemicals dumped or run-off in my creek killing the minnows, so I'm pretty sensitive.)

Dusty and Bonnie, sorry you both are sick, and Marcy. So far I've been pretty lucky this winter... although this week I've been twice inside my neighbor's house where they all but one are very sick, and the winter isn't over yet.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6289354

good to know darius always helpful
what about Osmocote ? same concept ?
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6289369

Morning all!

I made a batch of caramels last night and I'm going to peddle them today when I go to lunch with my girlfriend. I'm hoping to be able to make some "flower money"! Wish me luck. I used to sell them when my kids were little and I didn't work outside the home.

We got the pond started yesterday. It wasn't supposed to rain according to the weather station but it did. Dang, I was hoping for more digging today! Bill got most of the 3 foot area dug, maybe a couple more feet and then he'll switch to the the 2 feet area. We do have a Kubota thank goodness, can't imagine digging a pond that size by hand. The Kubota only has a one foot bucket on it so it takes a while. I'll have a nice mound for the waterfall.

Well, I will see you all later!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6289469

I've been coming across similar info about Miracle Grow too, never really liked using it anyway. I needed some soluble stuff for seedlings a couple of weeks ago and Walmart must not have gotten shipments in yet because it was slim pickins. So I ended up with some MG, but I only use it half strength (or less) on indoor plants and seedlings. Neither Walmart or Lowes has fish emulsion this year, that's my preference. I can order it, but I hated having to pay shipping on it. I've pretty much sworn off any chemicals on my soil or plants growing in the ground these days.

We spent much of the gorgeous day yesterday putting up fence posts. There was a shoddily put together fence around the back yard (that our friend who lived here before us had put up for his dogs), and a few months ago the phone company workers tore part of it down to bury the line. Our dogs had been doing well without a fence and staying out of trouble, so we took the whole thing down. Well, night before last the dogs wouldn't come in from their evening pee time and we heard lots of barking and commotion. The next morning they were home, but we got a call saying they had severely injured a calf on the farm (that will probably need to be put down). I think some other dogs were involved and the pack mentality set in. I had gotten used to the idea of having no fence and really liked the way it looked without it, but the new one will enclose a larger area (it had been constructed for small dogs and ours need more room). Hope we can get it at least enclosed today so letting the dogs out won't be such a pain.

Well, Dave is back from Lowes, so guess I better get with it.
Have a great day everybody!
Neal
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6289540

Neal, good to see you posting, too! Sorry to hear about the dog thing. I mentioned earlier (ok...ranted) about how my very well behaved dog turned into a demon dog when he had to start sharing with 2 other little male dogs. Odd how that pack mode and territorial thing surface.

Darius, I also bought MG for my container plants. Missed the info (or forgot) about it not being so good for the environment. You keep on top of these things, so what do you suggest for fertilizer that isn't going to break the bank?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6289653

That's a good question, Robin. There's quite a difference in what you can apply to a vegetable garden plot vs. a planted pot. For my few potted things, I mostly use fish emulsion. Also, compost tea is cheap and easy to make; some of the folks over in the organic forum are using a tea made from EM (essential microbes), adding molasses and I forget what else.

If I could only but 2 things for my garden, it would be SRP (soft rock phosphate) which supplies readily available calcium, and some kind of rock dust. I use Greensand™ and/or Azomite™, it doesn't take much. My 40 pound bag of Greensand was about $15 and even with amending my plants (individually) last year, plus half a bed where my garlic is, I still have about 1/4 bag left. However, I also add compost made from kitchen waste and garden debris... and I add grass clippings that have dried just a few days, as mulch. Eventually all that gets worked down into the soil.

Well, I need to get outside and do some pruning before the rain gets here.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6290134

Darius, no offense taken, but you have to take into consideration that we garden on a much grander scale than you do, close to 2 acres of vegetables, and it would not be economically feasible to use the products you mentioned. We are not near any streams or water sources, and the soil is amended with lime, phospates, and nitrogen in the off season, and is worked in well, and a cover crop of wheat or winter rye is sown in the fall which also enriches the soil. So we will continue to use the Miracle Grow on certain plants who are heavy feeders.

Garden shed is now all cleaned up and decluttered, and I am ready for some lunch, and maybe a little nap, to recharge my batteries.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6290177

Hey all!
Well i know rain is a good thing, but the garden(veggie) was to be plowed today. So it looks like an indoor day. We may be able to put the small Green house up, but the mud was pretty bad this morning when checking on critter's. The other thing I hate is Jeff was going to give me the whole day to help in clean up and build the mandarin duck pen and their little pond. Oh, well maybe this weekend.

Strangest thing I found when marking offer the garden plots. The garlic I planted last spring that never sprouted or showed any sign of life is up and looking great. I guess those cloves sat all season last year dormant??? I got my Yukon gold seed potatoes(Darius made them sound so good) and am also going to try sweet and red russet potatoes. I read an interesting article I think in Mother earth news about storing root crops without a basement or something like that. You use large plastic barrels that are water proof with tight lids. You dig a hole in the side of the hill deep enough to slip the barrel into it at an slight angle down so water will not get into sealed barrel. Then do the layers of straw, tater's and lime. They say you get the protection of the hill so It's like the barrel is "deeper' under ground. Kinda like a whiskey barrel on it's side facing out and at light angle. Sounds like it would work and the soil is sandy loam here, so digging will not be that bad. Worth a shot.

Well friends are on the way so better get presentable. I like a call to let me know when people are coming, but they just called and said "we will be there in 10 min." Sigh
Later
Geo
valrita

March 19, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6290207

Well, it sounds like my peonies are right on schedule. I want them to come up but at the same time I don't want them to come up too early and get bit.

I don't use MG. I did when I rented and the soil was very poor anyway but not in this yard. I like organic stuff--I especially like leaf humus. I've used greensand, kelp and worm castings. I've also used Rose-Tone and Osmocote. I haven't tried the fish emulsion because I didn't know if it would make my yard smell like fish.

We watched a video last month by Jerry Baker and he had some interesting tonics. Hubby wants to try them this year (but slightly modified).
This is some of his recipes on his website:
http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Neal, I'm sorry to hear about your dogs getting out. I feel bad for the calf. Have your dogs ever done anything like that before? Good thing you're getting the fence again.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6290252

Sold all my caramels! I'm in business! :O)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6290343

Geo, I read something similar with the trash can in the ground, where you just put the potatoes and straw in it, a piece of plastic or small tarp thrown over the barrel, then covered with straw to insulate the side you open and make it easier to lift the frozen straw off. So far, I've only had a milk crate full and just stuck it in a cool spot under the counter, away from the furnace vent and light.

Velnita, I've got one of his books, but never had tried any of recipes. Let us know how it works out for you.

Joyce, you didn't save enough to share? LOL!

Darius, thanks for the info. Right now I have 8 buckets and 2 dishpans with plants, plus 24 (16oz) cups with seedlings and a 72 cell tray. Figure when I dig the garden space, it won't be but about 10' x 12'.

Bonnie, so is your garden shed all electrified now? I'm so jealous of your shed!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6290564

Joyce my mouth is watering thinking about a home made caramel.
Good luck on the venture.
valrita

March 19, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6290597

Does anyone know how to turn off those "Top Watchdog Ads" at the top of the pages? I have my settings on no ads already. What else do I have to do to get rid of them?
valrita

March 19, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6290622

Okay...I figured it out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6290639

Okay, so how?
valrita

March 19, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6290670

I clicked where it said Top Watchdog Ads. That led me to a Daves FAQ about them. About four paragraphs down was his answer whether we could turn them off. He said yes and there's a link there. I clicked on it and unchecked the Top Watch Dog Ads.

There's probably an easier way but it worked. I don't see them anymore.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6290671

Yeah How??? I sure don't want to have to be subjected to ads...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6290674

Kewel...Thanks Velnita!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6290706

Robin,the electrician is coming late this afternoon to finish everything up. I just thought I would take some reading material out there tonight and just sit and read. How silly is that?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6291128

Not silly at all, Bonnie! Your very own "grown-up playhouse"...pretty cool! Saw lots of little gardening sheds all decked out inside with pretty curtains and stuff, and of course a nice comfy chair with a side table. Hope you take the time to enjoy it on occassion.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6291377

I'll bring some to the roundup. :O)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6291381

Checking in to say so long, farewell, auf wiedersehn, etc.---maybe. My puter has been infected by a demon. I'm sure Microsoft has some better, but sadly unintelligible, explanation, but it's a registry thing & unstable & I'm not sure that anything I do will make a diff.
(sob)
Might be able to check in later on sis's puter. Good thing she's moved closer!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6291559

Pat go out and buy Registry Defense, a cheaper fix than a computer repair shop. Install it and set it up to run a regular scan, and it catches those registry problems before they take your whole system down.

Electrician is here, so it won't be long before the shed is all finished.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6291568

Or go to Eusing.com and download the free Reg cleaner... works like a charm and has for 3 yrs on this ancient puter...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6292162

Hey all...

Same ole same ole happening up here. Working like a big dog and struggling to find time to breathe.

Needless to say the job is going ok. I like it too. Meeting with a lot of big wigs and muckity mucks.

I see everyone is hanging in there waiting for Spring to finally get here. I know I am. I thought about not having a garden this year due to time restraints but a good friend said if I didn't at least plant some of the stuff I usually do, there would be no living with me so I agreed I would. Will get some things sown this weekend for June 1st set out.

Other than that, no real news to report. I'm fine, Oprah's fine. I will be going to Monterey on Wednesday and coming back Saturday for the Lt's graduation. Dang I am getting old. I have a kid with his Master's degree. Wow...and yes I am coming to the Round Up so Dusty get my room ready.

Well gotta hit the bricks again tomorrow to try to get some stuff accomplished before I leave town next week. I just really missed you guys. I've been popping in and trying to read from time to time but it's not the same as sharing my morning coffee with you. You all know how that is :)

Love and many kisses...

Toni
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009

Post #6292255

Pat it might not be a Registry thing.
It might be Malware. Try here first.
They can cause some instability that mimicks a Virus or Reg problems.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Cleared my machine right up.
Works great ESPECIALLY on those Window Defense pop up ads.

I caught a bit of a bug last evening.
It hit so fast I thought it might be food poisoning.
But fever, cough and headache started a bit later.
Seems to be gone now after a day of snoozing and reading.

Here's the shot of Dad on his 90th I forgot to post.
That's his real hair color... in fact it's a bit darker than that in person.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6292612

Ric, sorry that you haven't felt well. My you do bear a good resemblance to your dad. 90 is a long time, but treasure every moment with him that you can.

The electrician finished about 8:00, and it looked really strange when looking out to see light in that corner of the yard. Hot dog, now to start the real work of working on DH for the greenhouse, and itty bitty one would make me happy, but a bigger one would make me really happy.

Joyce, where did you sell the caramels? Sounds like you may have found yourself some income from something you do well.

Dusty are you feeling 100% yet? Wish there was a way to avoid all those viruses and colds in the wintertime.

Off to do some other things before the bed calls my name.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6292887

Ric that picture of your Dad looks so good. Reminds me of my Daddy who died just 5 months short of his 100th birthday. He has been gone 10 years now and I still miss him. Cherish the time with your father.
Veronica
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6293257

Hi, guys - Just caught up on all your posts. Y'all have been busy!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6293391

Hi again! I haven't crashed --- yet. I did look at the programs you all suggested. I do have a registry cleaner that I'd run already today. I'd run the my antivirus-- but it hadn't been able to update completely when I did. Tried the malware program, & it caught a few things. Now off to see if it will now let me add & remove programs. That's where it really started getting strange last night. And why, oh why, does my computer spit out an error message with a specific number, & then you try & look it up on MS help, & there's no entry for it. GGGGRRRRRR!
Thanks for the support!
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
8:52 AM

Post #6293637

Computer OK now-- I think. REgistry cleaner didn't do the trick, so I sampled a lot of google groups advice on Error 1327. Invalid Drive: E:\
I've been trying to find the magic fix all night, & finally found one that would let me re-install a program. I'm whupped, but it'll be worth it to scratch it off the to-do list.

Sue, how is your eye?

For a little good news: Baby (now toddler) Isabella Frances, who had the leukemia & the stem cell transplant, is doing really well. She's had a port in her chest since her diagnosis in Dec. 2007. Last week the port clogged up & they decided to remove it since she's manufacturing her own cells now. She'll still be watched carefully, but she's doing so beautifully. Thanks to everyone who prayed for Bella & her mom & grandpa.

I have GOT to get some sleep now!
CHeers to all,
Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6293706

Way to go Bella!

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6294034

Good Morning... awakened to heavy frost, big change from yesterday!

Good for baby Isabelle!

Nothing to say yet since I haven't had coffee...
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6294047

Oh yes, prayer is a POWERFUL thing! Way to go Isabella!!

Bonnie I sold them to the people I used to work with. I was having lunch down that way with a friend and stopped in to say hello. They all loved my caramels when I gave them at Christmas and I thought it was a sure thing. I was right. I told them I'd take orders too, so I expect I'll be selling more to them. I have another place that has already told me they'll buy, so I'm hoping it will raise some flower money. AND makeup...I hate to ask for money to buy makeup with 3 mortgages!

Off to exercise with Bertie...have a great day all!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6294238

It's great to hear Isabella is doing so well! Our friends' little girl Gabby just had her port removed last week. She has a tumor behind her eye, but has responded very well to chemo. These happenings are such milemarkers!
valrita

March 20, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6294245

Good morning, everyone!

Okay, I have a short rant. I'm so disgusted that I could scream.
I smoke. I wanted to cut costs so I started rolling my own. A pound of tobacco costs about $18. My tobacco shop told me that on the first of the month, there will be a $23 tax on each pound of tobacco. Huh? How is it possible to tax an item at more than 100% of the retail price? I've never heard of such a thing. A pound of tobacco is going to suddenly go from $18 to $41. In my lifetime, I can't think of any item that has ever had more than a 100% tax--and that's just federal.

I have no desire to quit. Without the desire, there's no point in even trying. I keep to myself, don't smoke in public and pay for my own health care. Why do I have to be punished? I haven't harmed anyone else. I haven't committed any crimes.

Sigh. Okay. End of rant. I'm sorry. I really needed to vent.

Bummer it got cold but the weather looks nice for this weekend. Yesterday I had a species tulip bloom but it closed back up when the sun went down. I had a lily poke it's nose up but I covered it back up.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6294459

Velnita, here's an excerpt from an email from a friend.
Quoting: There are several things going on at the same time:

1- The Feds are taxing the #$%^ out of the tobacco companies on their stockpile of products (everything including loose leaf, accessories, etc.), as well as, taxing the consumer per pack of cigarettes come April 1st.

2- To raise funds to pay their new tax debt, the tobacco manufacturers raised the price of everything across the board, resulting in this past week's cigarette increase.

3- Meanwhile, the market price of loose leaf tobacco took a jump.

4- Most states are adding their own tax hike per pack of cigarettes. Virginia is due to increase the tax per pack of smokes by $1.20, incrementally over the summer, starting with .60/pk in June.

We'll be lucky if a carton of cigarettes is under $60 by this time next year! The price of everything at the smoke shop here is going up on a daily basis. [ . . . ] There are multitudes of folks in the same situation as we're in, so the potential is there for the price of the patch, nic gum, smoking herbs, and anything else to do with smoking and quitting, to rise sharply very soon, if they can be found at all.

"They" are saying all this tax hike is to help fund Medicare/Medicaid costs for health care for smokers. Let me tell you, I have paid enough in cigarette taxes to more than pay for my portion!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6294512

Amen, Darius and Velnita. I am not giving serious thought to quitting, just wish I could think of a plot to pox the government.

Off to work on that 3rd bedroom.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6294550

Velnita, Uncle Sam is going to end up losing a lot of that revenue they're generating from tobacco product taxes when people have to quit because they can't afford to smoke. With DH and I both smoking, I'm embarrassed to say how much we spend on cigarettes in a year's time. Still trying to quit, but without much success. :(

Yeah for Isabella and Gabby!

Pat, my sympathies! Computers can be so frustrating. Our computer has been acting better recently...knock on wood...although I don't know what changed to make that happen.

Bonnie, great going on having the garden shed electrified!

Kind of feel at loose ends here. Couldn't put my finger on it until this morning. Just don't feel comfortable (at home) here. This rental house just has the basic furniture. Nothing on the walls, nothing decorative sitting on the tables, etc, basically no personality. Think I need to hit the SA tomorrow and see what I can find cheap to dress it up a bit.

Not much else going on, so I'll check back later to see what you all are up to.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6294571

BTW, a carton here is already between $57 and $60. Figured the price of smoking-cessation products would also rise...jumping on the bandwagon, I guess.
valrita

March 20, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6294703

I've heard that the money is because of the cost of health care for smokers but so far I haven't been able to find even one state or federal program that will give me health care. I can't find anywhere that I can apply for "free" health care for smokers. We're well over the poverty line, my husband works and we're in our 40's. I wouldn't mind so much if the money covered my health care but it doesn't seem to.

This is a lot of money for me. It adds up to an extra $700 a year. Ow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009

Post #6295334

I haven't decided what I will do about the increased costs of tobacco products. My cigs will probably run around $30/carton, up from $24. I tried Dusty's brand of smokes, which will go up to $17/carton after the tax increase April 1. They are stronger, but I don't know if I'd smoke fewer or not. I guess I need to pay attention to how much I smoke out of boredom, and how much is a nicotine craving.

I should have quit when I got out of the hospital the last time... 6 days cold turkey... but ...
valrita

March 20, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6295498

Right now I'm paying about $12 a carton to roll my own. On April Fool's Day it will be $25. I don't mind rolling my own filtered cigs. I like the McClintock brand of tobacco. But after the tax kicks in, I'll have to look for something cheaper.

I've looked at growing my own. It sounds easy to grow but it is supposed to be difficult to dry correctly so that it isn't harsh. Has anyone tried this?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6295505

Yep, kicking myself too for starting back up after quitting for 3 years 12 years ago!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6295826

velnita, we used to grow tobacco comercially, and it isn't hard to grow and dry, it is finding a variety that is good alone. Most tobacco products are a combination of several varieties, some burley and some fire cured. I guess you could experiment with growing it and see what you think of it.

I could furnish you some tobacco seed, and give you several varieties, and then you could experiment. Let me know, I know a grower and could get some seed.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6296201

Hey

Thats great about Baby Bella! Fantastic news!

A carton just jumped from $38 dollars 2 weeks ago to $52 at CVS up here. 1800 OhioQuit is still sending out the free patches though.

T
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6296214

Hey everyone...good afternnoon!
I have some GREAT news to share with you all!
My daughter, who lives in Florida called at lunchtime, and told us she is engaged!! This...after being single for 16 yrs!!! And she swore up and down she was never getting married again...LOL!!! We have met the guy...long time ago. They are old friends. He is really nice, and will be nice to her. He is a builder in Oregon..no less. He is going to build her a new home on ten acres there...and told her she will never have to work again!!!! But she said..no way she can just stay home after all these yrs of working. Anyway...can you tell I am happy for her?????!!!!! She deserves someone nice after all this time. She hates cold weather..lol..which is why she moved to FL...but she said...I guess it's time to grow up and get a life! I agreed with her. He has been after her to marry him for a long time...and I guess he finally convinced her! So she will eventually be moving to Oregon. She said they had a lot of things to get ironed out...and doesn't know when they will be getting married...but said she is sure it will be within the next 6 months.
Great to hear about baby Isabella!
Hope everyone who was feeling bad is getting better. I am...but slowly. Sure takes that antibiotic a while to work!
Well...Dave is home...and ready to go eat somewhere...and I'm not about to turn him down...lol. Later all!!!
valrita

March 20, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6296307

Great news on your daughter, Marcy. I hope she likes Oregon. I've heard it's beautiful but I haven't been there (yet).

Defoecat, it sounds interesting. Let me read a little more about it and I'll d-mail you tonight.

Hubby will be frying up catfish tonight. Yum. It's been a while. I don't know what else he'll be making but it doesn't matter much to me. I can make a meal out of only fried catfish. He makes it with a very light Cajun seasoning.

Happy first day of spring, everybody!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6296334

We pay 45.91 for a carton of Basics here, and the clerk said they were going up a 1.02 a pack on the 1st of April. Where would the government get their tax dollars if everyone quit smoking??? Talk about a tax hike!!! They spend millions on anti-tobacco campaigns, but love the tobacco tax. How hypocritical can they get!!!
I'm trying to quit , because they said smoking "could" contribute to intestinal problems and after being in the hospital for a week of cold turkey, I thought I could do it. They also said to avoid all stress for 10-12 wks. Yeh, sure! I'm not doing too good, but have eliminated the "habit" smoking and I'm now working on the addiction part. I can't seem to get to sleep without one smoke before bed. It may be physological, but it feels physical. I need my sleep, so I'm still smoking about three cigs a day. The patches broke my skin out in a rash, so I think I will try the lozenges next. Has anyone tried them? Do they taste awful? Lou
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6296408

dispatcher, I haven't tried the lozenges, but a SIL quit using them.

I have tried all the quit smoking aids, but I think that my mind was never fully convinced that I WANTED to quit. So until I work on that aspect of it, I think quitting would be like all the other thousand of times I have tried.

Stress free for 10-12 weeks, what fantasy land do they live in?

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6296977

My son just quit (actually has a few a week yet) by using acupunture. It was a number of sessions and he believes it really helped him. He has very few cravings so I hope it's permanent. I still had cravings 5 years after I quit and a brother mine restarted after quitting for 6 years. It seems that the cravings really vary a lot.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6297278

LOL with the price of cigs going up , i bet the pharmacy will have a valium/vicadin shortage LOLLLLL Im sorry i know it ain't funny. But seriously people will begin to stop smoking and with so many people quitting due to price of cigs i m thinking there are going to be alot of stressed people out there ? ! yikes ! or maybe a shortage of chocolate ?
busy day for us. Lots of clean up in the front area . Glass. tires, old junk and cans.
yeah for Bella !!!!! hoooray, my eye is much better Goshmom thank you for asking
Ric your dad sure don't look 90 ! wow. Glad you are back amoung the living . Yuk on the flu stuff.
Bonnie yeah i think it is a fantasy land . when i quit many yrs ago . It wasn't pretty !!!! which made me eat . :( so went to one addiction to another grrrr just crazy ain't it .
I still have cravings and believe me with what is going on with my oldest DD right now , i m sure to start again or start drinking again ! good thing T is here to have my back.
Where is GW ????
Jazz did you hear that Eddie Bauer might go backrupt ?! where are we going to find tall clothes !!!!! yikes
ttyl
sue

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6297304

I have never quit because I'm afraid I'd kill someone.The Dr even told me to NOT quit.I already take xanax.Needless to say I have every bad nerves...LOL.

Thumbnail by synda

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6297320

ROFLLMAO
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6297454

Well, kooger, acupuncture is the only thing I have not tried, so may have to give that a go. Maybe my insurance would pay for that, vs not paying for any quitting smoking aids. What a catch 22.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6297804

Congrats to your daughter and new future hubby Marcy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6297863

Speaking of going out of business...
NCE (New Creative Expressions) that Yard/Garden Art place next door to us... closed their doors today.
8 years ago they had 3 shifts and KILLER closeout sales twice a year.
Recently it was 1 shift and about 1/3 the # of people... mostly temps...
Basically they supplied all the garden art, flags, plaques, etc for about every hardware chain in the US. Also tons of Home Decor items...
The internet basically smacked them down to a fraction of their old self.
A bad restructure, high shipping costs last year and loan coming due in this economy... Bye!

Anyone need a building? 437,000 sq ft, 33 docks, 22,000 feet of office, on 37 acres...only 10.25M

3 of the women are working out of our offices starting Monday. Chasing debts...
That's why I've been so busy. We haven't had anyone use them since we bought our place.

They put up a sign out front.
It read.

"Thanks Milford we'll miss you!
If you miss us too
please call Bank of America"

ALAS no going out of business sale.
I'd say you'll be seeing some good deals at Big Lots soon though...
Ric

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6298069

Re: the smoking issue. I smoked from age 26 to 41. I LOVED smoking. I told people that I regretted not taking it up earlier. It helped me concentrate, it helped me relax, it signalled "me" time when I could have something to busy my hands & my lungs with.
When I was 40, I was diagnosed with Stage III, locally advanced breast cancer. I said to the oncologist "Oh, I'm going to have to stop smoking & I don't know how I'll manage." He said-- miraculously-- "Don't quit now because the next year will be too stressful to quit smoking in addition to everything else."
Now that's the kind of oncologist to get! And he was right. The following year was filled with 12 months of chemotherapy, 6 weeks of radiation, bilateral mastectomies, and weekly clinic visits to the doctor. In addition, my mother died after a long battle with multiple myeloma, and I fell and broke my knee, which couldn't be fixed because of the cancer treatment!
Abt 6 months into the year, I decided I would try & pray for the willingness to think abt quitting. I tried to be very honest with myself. I was not quitting because I didn't like smoking. I still loved it. But I was resentful abt the rising prices (this was when a carton was abt $12.00). And I was tired of having the cigarette occupying my thoughts-- like when and where can I smoke next. I was very tired of people acting like a person who smoked was just the worst sinner imagineable, and I still HATE that. But I was tired of being judged, however unfairly, by the curl of smoke around my head.
So I set my quit date-- the day of my scheduled knee surgery, after 6 months of praying. I literally smoked right up to the front door of the hospital. My sister asked, "How was that last cigarette?" to which I replied, "Every bit as good as the first one!"
I bought patches & began using them the next day, and I think they helped immensely. I'm sure the drugs for the knee surgery didn't hurt, either. ;-))
What amazed me was that it was much easier than I ever expected. I had cravings, but they never lasted so long I couldn't bear it. A few times, I'd suck on the end of an unlit cigarette, but I kept this slogan in mind: I'm a puff away from a pack a day. Yes, I gained some weight. Sometimes I felt I couldn't concentrate as well as when I was smoking. Who knows?
I spent a good bit of time acknowledging the losses of the past year-- my sense of well being and security, my breasts, my mom, and, yes, my smokes. But I've now been tobacco free for just shy of 15 years. I still occasionally have a smoking dream, but that's where I keep my cigs now.

I honestly believed that I COULD NOT QUIT! But prayer, nicotine patches, & honesty abt my motives, I did. My wish for everyone is that they could quit if they want to, and that everyone else should shut up abt smoking as if it were worse than mass murder.

Cheers!
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6298072

ps-- my pasque flowers are blooming. I'll try & get a picture tomorrow.
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #6298153

Pat thanks for the freedom to smoke if we so choose. I am tired of being branded as an awful person because I smoke. What about the drunks who beat their wives, and the child abusers, let's get real about the issue. It is an addiction but a choice also. Just like I choose Coke over Pepsi, so let me enjoy my smokes, I won't intrude and do it in your home if that is your choice, but if you visit me, be aware that I am a smoker, and if you choose to enter my home, it means you accept my choice and will put up with my habit.

What an inspiring story you have, a testimony about the power of prayer, and your faith. Kudos to you and your successes.
valrita

March 21, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6298191

Don't worry, goshmom. Those same people will be complaining about sugar-eaters soon. Ugh. I really don't mind those who judge me. I mind paying a tax that is more than the retail price of the product. That's like saying that a pound of sugar is $2 but since it's bad for you, you have to pay a $2.50 tax on it. I don't mind paying for a product that I like but the additional $700 a year in taxes is more than I spent for my own health care all last year.

Your story made me wonder. About 5 years ago I found out I was pregnant. I stopped smoking. My muscles tightened up and stayed that way for three days. Hubby came home from work to find me rocking back and forth on the bed muttering. He went out and bought a pack of smokes for me. I started to miscarry the next day. I always wondered if the shock to my system caused it. I've always been one of those people who doesn't go more than 4 hours without a cig (I automatically wake up in the middle of the night). 27 years like that.

The only other time I tried to quit was a few years before that. I was so miserable. I didn't want to eat or drink anything with a flavor (if I can't have a cig after eating I don't want to eat). I honestly had problems thinking. I couldn't form sentences very well. It just seemed that my brain wouldn't work. After six horrible weeks I actually called the suicide hotline. I never did that before or since. I was miserable every minute of the day. A week later, I went back to smoking. Everything that I had read said that it would get better but it didn't. My seventh week was as bad as my first. I'd just as soon not be here than live like that. I honestly think that the chemicals in my brain stopped working.

Edited for poor spelling due to typing in the dark

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 2:16 AM
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #6298373

I have been a smoker, too. Started when I was in Germany and the PX carried smokes for .25. Quit...then started again...quit and sneaked a few. Still to this day there are times when I'm sitting at a stoplight and I smell a cigarette in someone else's car and I want one...BAD. Other times, the smell almost gags me. Funny. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not trying to quit now, which I would have to with the price and no job!

Synda...girl...I thought you'd NEVER show up! I loved the xanax martini picture! Come and tell us about yourself. Where is Carrollton? I used to work in West Carrollton.

Bill dug some more on the pond yesterday. Funny, when he started it he was in shorts. Yesterday, he had his winter coat and hat on! Amazing what 2 days can do! I'm getting excited now. I keep going over the pictures from the last pond tour. Hey Ric...do you have some pictures I can look at from past tours?

I don't know what I did at exercise yesterday, but OH MY did my deltoid muscle hurt. It is better today so I'm relieved about that.

Having dinner with friends tonight. Looking forward to some gab time with my girlfriend. She's a teacher and her hubby is a farmer, so Bill and him get along just fine.

I'm hoping for another beautiful day today. Have a good one!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6298480

Bonnie ,Pleasureville that's sounds too good to be true!
Joyce,Carrollton is about 30 miles south of Canton"The Football Hall of Fame".Or about 1 1/2 hrs away from Pittsburg,PA.Carrollton is a hick town,with a lot of Amish around,we live 7 1/2 miles south of town...Have 4 horses :,2 Haflingers (Short Belgium's)King and Queen,A full Belgium Silver,and a Painted Mustang that we saved from slaughter and a psycho cat that thinks we are her children and will reprimand us when we miss behave.I'm 46 and married to a wonderful man that is 8 years younger than me.We will be married 12 years on the 28th of March.We have a 22 year old son ,Ryan that lives about a 1/2 hour away from us.I had a son when I was 16 that died 2 weeks before he was 2 from heart problems,Ryan has the beginnings of the heart problem but he wasn't born with it ,so that is what has made the difference.My mom has it very bad,it called Hypertrophic Cardiomyapathy.The walls of the heart become too thick and can't pump the bood out as it should.It is genetic.I have full blown Fibromyalgia,and have good days and some very bad ones.So needless to say I can't hold a job.We got our first house 3 years ago come April,which we gutted down to the studs and redid.Slowly trying to get it all together,I still need my kitchen cupboard doors put on...DH aka Rick says it's OK , you never have to look real hard to see what see need from the store...HA HA HA.
Don't have a lot of flowers as of yet,but God help us when the co-ops start coming in...LOL.
As you have seen I smoke and it drives me nuts that I can go to a bar and set beside someone that has been drinking all day and I can't smoke because that person may be offended or die from 2nd hand smoke 15 years from now, but they can go get in there car and drive intoxicated and possibly hit and kill an entire family immediately.My feeling on smoking or anything else, only God can judge me,and until you pay my bills your opinion is just that,Yours.
I love posting funny pictures on here,I probably have one for every occasion or situation.
I have never been to a RU and have no idea what or how it is done.But by what I've read ithey sound like so much fun.Cincinnati area is 4 to 4 1/2 hrs from us.I have no plants this year to swap ,hope that isn't mandatory.But I can say that there aren't very many that I don't love and want.But there again time and money ,so baby steps.
All I want in life is to be happy and do right by other and help if I at all can...And laugh.But I will take a stand and fight for what is right.And by no means when I get to know you am I not shy...LOL.You ask ,be prepared for the answer.
And I love frogs.And if you want to know anything else about me,ASK...I won't mind.

Thumbnail by synda

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6298597

synda it helps if you substitute Family Reunion for RU.
Many of us smoke. Most have. It's NEVER been an issue.

As for what to bring... Yourself and Family works just fine... but COOKIES are mandatory! LOL!

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6298625

Synda that is to funny pic LOL
yeah smoking is a hard one. Just be glad your not in CA !!! yikes . IF you smoke your a lepar SP ? sheesh. I never did agree with the no smoking in a bar ? what is that all about ? . When i was hanging in bars i can honestly tell you "everyone smoked " and nonsmokers didn't go to bars ? or maybe i was just to drunk to notice ? LOL
can't win either way.
i think the world is a better place that some smoke LOL or there would be alot more road rage LOL
Pat what a story ! Im so glad your around to talk about your story and thank you for sharing it with us. Very inspiring.
Ok i hope i m not causing a political thingy , but did you see "the First Lady in her new garden ? ! " what joke IMHO. Her outfit she wore ? what is up with that ? and how did she expect to dig in high heels ? what is wrong with that woman ? and we all know she is not going to be the one that will tend the garden ? will she ? hmmm i would love to see that !
ok this is not a political thingy . Its a garden thingy. ! i think she looked silly ! ? i think she would have been much cuter and taken more seriously if she wore some cute pic coveralls that were pink ! once again IMHO.
have a great day
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6298682

I think the idea of the First Lady gardening hilarious.
Overseeing the gardeners maybe but...
Putzing in the GH over Orchids maybe...
It's a HIGHLY visible and political position... one must keep up appearances.
50's appearances it seems still.

Well OK Rosilyn Carter I can see Gardening!

Lady Bird Johnson I have seen Gardening but after the Office.
Her Texas Wildflower Project will live for generations.
Actors, sports figures and politicians you can always tell those who married before Fame and those who married after...

Ric

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6298700

Good morning all you smokers...LOL! An ex smoker here...after 30 some years too! I been off for 19 yrs now. I STILL like the smell of them! But I would NEVER touch another one because I would be right back smoking again! I did that once. Quit for 3 yrs...smoked one...and that was all it took!
I am of the mind set that each person has the right to do as they please, as long as it doesn't offend or interfere with others' rights.
Smokers don't bother me...except when I am in a restaurant and eating. That does bother me...if they are close to me...but I would never say anything to them. Being on the OH/IN border, we go to restaurants in IN too. They do not have the no smoking ban there...so lots of smoke going on.
I still have to say though, it was the very best thing I EVER did for myself...quitting. And yeah..it was REALLY hard. I couldn't have done it, had Dave not quit at the same time.
Thank you Toni and Sue for my daughter! We are just so excited! I really never thought I would live to see the day!
Well..we are off to an antique show in Richmond today. Should already be there..but SOMEONE couldn't get out of bed when they were supposed to!!! Whooooo...MEEE???????

Hope you all have a great day!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6298703

Sue my thoughts exactlyl, gardening in heels and dress clothes, what a hoot.

synda, I know where Carrollton, Oh is. Been through there several times years ago when we traveled with our Belgins. DH was into the horse pulls then, and central and northern Ohio, as well as many parts of Indiana were destinations for those events. We were without horses for several years, because of an injury DH sustained, but with a 12 year old DGD who is horse crazy, oh, amend that to animal crazy, our place looks like a zoo. 1 hackney pony, and 3 registered Tennessee Walkers, who are more pets that modes of transportation. And dogs mostly Jackabees, and Beagles, my loveable Mr. B who is the Jack Russell, and DH's side kick Abby, a Rat Terrier.

Pleasureville, what a misnomer!! population about 500, divided into a North Pleasureville and Pleasureville about a mile apart. Businesses consist of a bank, post office, convenient store/gas station, barber shop,florist, 4 various auto shops 2 body shops and 2 for the mechanical stuff, a hardware store, an insurance agency, a graphics design business, a catering business, 1 restaurant and a pool hall. It did used to be a booming town with 2 groceries a pharmacy, a 10cent store, fabric shop, 2 barber shops and 2 beauty shops. But the aftermath of the box stores and later the economy, and it is only about 1/2 what it once was.

Had a horrible night sleeping, lasted about 45 minutes in bed, then moved to the couch, and finally to a recliner with about 3 hours of actual sleep, then with violent nightmares, and tales of mayhem and intrigue. I had a glass or 2 of wine before bed and instead of making my drowsy, I got into the overdrive mode, with my mind flying and planning and designing gardens. Yikes, guess I had better find another sleeping aid tonight, any suggestions? Has to be non medicinal, due to the flare of the RA, trying to cleanse my body of all chemicals (well except the wine) by drinking huge amounts of water.

Off to a sluggish start, but have several things that I need to get accomplished. Later.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6298717

Good morning all! It seems like it has been forever since I've checked in! I have been popping in to read and also to add baby pics on the other threads.

Little Nolan will be 2 weeks old tonight. It does not seem possible! I've lost all my pregnancy weight plus five pounds. YAY! Of course I haven't been doing any work outside so I've not been enjoying my favorite beverage. hahaha I wish the weather would stay nice so I could take the baby for walks.

Marcy, congrats on the new son in law!

I hope everyone is feeling better now. I think it's this goofy weather playing havoc with everyone's sinuses. I had a light case of bronchitis and hit the doc up for antibiotics right away. I still have a bit of the gurgles but nothing serious. The kids have had sniffles on and off but because of the baby, we have all washed our hands raw and not breathed on him. LOL

Pat, I'm happy to hear the good news about Isabella! I also know I owe you an email. If your computer does not get straightened out, let me know and I'll send my resident nerd or a family invasion. chuckle

Well, I'm going to hop in the shower while my baby is happy. Gotta do these things when I can.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6298859

Good Morning, to a chatty bunch!

We all have our addictions/crutches, some are external like smokes, with a few are not very visible. And then, we have each other for support when almost everything else except religious belief fails.

Bonnie, if you want to get rid of systemic toxins, wash your feet daily in water (no soap) with a few drops of Nettle. Soak a couple of minutes in the solution first. More toxins leave via our feet than anywhere else.

I, for one, am thrilled that Michelle Obama has again started a vegetable garden at the White House after more than 50 years without one, even if she wore heels for the press. I'd rather see a Mommy in heels and make-up in the garden than no garden at all. Besides, it's her first garden... didn't we all learn the hard way? LOL

It's supposed to warm up after lunch; guess I'll do a milk run before then, and also drive to Wytheville to pick up the 2nd written personal reference for my census appointment next week. Should be warm enough to pull more honeysuckle vines when I get back. It took me 2 hours to do about 6 square feet the other day. The vines have been there so long that there are layers over layers over layers of roots going about 5" deep. It will probably take me all summer to make a dent. The soil under and around the roots has lots of leaf mold built up over the years. Should be good to plant in, once I can!

Have a great day everyone!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6298869

Darius, I can do the foot soak, but where do I get Nettle?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6298914

I ordered mine online from a herb company, but you might get lucky locally... call some drug stores?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6298919

...OR, if you have stinging nettle growing nearby, I'm sure you could google how to make some...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6299828

Yes i guess your right darius , it is good to see one with a garden but ... i still stand on the pink coveralls for her :)
hey Gh is going well, so far so good
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6300133

Hey, y'all. Well, we get to see John Tesh again! A friend with the group offered us some tickets for us and friends. It's at 7:30pm at Mershon Auditorium, OSU campus area. It's short notice, but we just learned about the offer this morning! :)

Anyone here up for it? I need to know by 6pm! Howie and I have been busy contacting friends in the area to invite them to the show.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6300474

Oh Kim, I would have loved to go! I love John Tesh! But alas, we have plans with friends and since it's 5:19, I don't think I can change plans at this late date. Maybe next time!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6300992

I forgot to congratulate Marcy on the prospective son-in-law-- best wishes, congratulations, and happiness all around!

Welcome, Synda, I loved the picture of the "exotic flower" in full bloom!

The puter is playing nicely now, so I guess I fixed it. No more error 1327 or invalid drive messages. Sadly, that also means no more excuses for not working on my taxes, since the tax software will now load.

Some of you know that I've been the chaplain for a halfway house for alcoholic & drug addicted men for 20 years. Most will say it's much harder to kick nicotine than pot, booze, or even crack or heroin! I still have the occasional craving, but it passes quickly.
And, I am thoroughly addicted to chocolate. I mean REALLY addicted. That will be what they start to regulate next, after sugar.
Bonnie, I'm not sure what was in the air last night, but I had weird nightmares last night, too. Been out to dinner for a family/friend birthday at Olive Garden in Florence, but all I had to drink was coke. DIL has severe ear infection, son coming down with sore throat, & one person missing with pneumonia--- made me wonder if we should all be wearing masks & gloves.
Hope everyone who's sickly is feeling better.

Isabella & her mommy are on spring break this coming week, a much better place than last year! Once again, they are very grateful for all the prayers & good wishes that came their way.
Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6301063

Bonnie i m sorry to hear your having bad dreams . DId you eat cheese before bed ? MIL insists that if you eat cheese you have bad dreams LOL who know she could be right ? Get some sleep tonight and no more bad dreams ! :)
i think its rose poporri that is to help bad dreams. ?
well the GH is almost done.
tomorrow we finish the doors whew started at 10 am and finished at 5 pm but we had llunch , snacks and a few people come by to chat .
then we had to go back to the basement to saw the 2x6.'s
out to subway for dinner and home again
got pics on T's camera
here are som
the doors are the hard one to figure out .

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6301074

I think this is me hammering LOL

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6301084

notice how nice and staight the nails are ? hmmmm

Thumbnail by taynors

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6301169

SUE! What's with all the cat faces around the nail head?

Hey, GH is looking like the real thing!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6301599

Today the garden got plowed and tilled, chicken house covered in vinyl siding to match the house. The house of course had to have windows complete with curtains(don't anyone say a word!) Then I got to plant my ferns and am soaking my new daylilies and asters for tomorrow to plant. We still have some clean up to do from the puppies bringing stuff into the yard and the rest of the ice storm clean up also, but It's shaping up. Just a few more projects like the Koi pond repair and Mandarin duck pen to build and I can enjoy my yard.

I go Monday to the clinic to start their test. I'm a little nervous. I hope all works out. They said if I pass the last of the tests, endoscopy and nuclear stress test. I could be scheduled quickly. I hope so. I would love to have it mid April. I will have outdoor projects done by then and can run on cruise. Well I will be finishing some mixed pots and seedlings, but that's easy. They say you will be weak, due to I can't eat anything that does not fit through a straw for 2 weeks!

Well farm friends came over to pick out their pup. I finally got some pics.
Geo

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6301603

Close up.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6301698

George sounds like you are hitting high gear, trying to get all those things done before the surgery. Hehe, on windows and curtains, does it look like a little guest cottage?

Sue GH looking good, sounds like you and T are getting lots done too. The clean up of the property and the GH project. Everybody is gonna be working hineys off for a few weeks.

Darius, I thought a well hammered nail was required to have cat faces! Mine usually do. I jest.

I hope Kimberly and Howie enjoy their evening out, and was able to find companions for the show.

Pat, I have also heard drug addicts comment about the addiction to nicotine. All I know is how hard it is for me to even attempt another try to quit.

Sue, never heard that about eating cheese before bedtime. Well, I didn't have any cheese before bed. I may have said nightmares, but I suppose they could be called intense, fast moving dreams. The kind where you are caught in in a situation and you are fighting to do what is required and always seem to be a couple steps behind. Nothing that was frightening, but it was one of those that leave you feeling very tired after waking. Sure hope that I can rest without the drama tonight.

I also have daylily seeds in soaking and hope to get them potted up tomorrow. These all will be noids. I collected seed from my named daylilies, but just popped them into a container all together. It was funny tonight DS and his SO were visiting and I mentioned that I was starting daylily seeds tomorrow. Since they are in their first place together, and there is no plants anywhere, she asked if I would give her some purple ones. I said sure, and held out my plastic drink cup with the seeds in it, and said, here pick you out the purples you want. You should have seen the look on her face when she looked into the cup and discovered all the black seeds. I got a real kick out of that, as she is certainly not a gardener, and I suppose she was thinking that the seeds would indicate the color. I am a really mean almost MIL. We kid all the time.

Another instance, she is a city born person, and has not taken well to the times she has spent on the farm. The first time that she was around when DH was cleaning fish, she watched without commenting and when she came inside with me, asked if I ever chopped fish. Meaning clean fish. And when she heard that he had gone rabbit hunting, asked me how many did he catch. We tease her a lot, and she takes it good naturedly. Glad that she does, but we are only trying to educate her.

Well, off to do a few other things before bed, and will catch up after church tomorrow. Sleep well, and calmly.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6302055

Well Darius first you scare the nail into standing still... lol!

Sue you're holding the hammer wrong.
Way too far up on the handle.
Hold it at the end.. keep your wrist locked... swing from your elbow not the wrist.
Better control and a harder hit.
If it's too heavy to hold it by the end...get a smaller hammer.
Next time you are at Lowe's or HD try one of the ergonomic hammers.
I think you'll like them.

Ric
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6302654

Oh George...I just love puppies! So cute. I'm praying that all goes according to plan for your surgery!

Looks like you had a busy day, Sue. How did Tim do on his testing?

How did you sleep Bonnie? Better I hope.

How was the concert Kim?

More digging on the pond yesterday. It's coming along. Pictures soon!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6302935

Well darn! Had a post all typed..and it poofed!
What I said in a nutshell...Poor Sue and her hammer!
Ric...I was thinking that too...about too far up on the hammer. I wish I had a dollar for every time my dad (and hubby) have told me that! And Sue..it works too...lol!!
Well..we had a great time at the antique show yesterday. Dealers were from all over the U.S. ..as far away as Kansas even! I asked that one if she could sneak me into her suitcase, so I could go see my friend out there...lol!!
Dave bought me several things. Let's see...a big cement head called Man of the North. It's a fountain for my garden! Then he bought me a noodle board. You roll noodle dough on it..or pie crust! Also got a hanging planter for inside. It's made of an old barn board with part of a grain scoop on the front to hold a plant. And I bought an old glass store jar with a lid..round.
We saw an old workbench with vise..beautiful! Would have looked great in my kitchen...but just no space for it...darn it!!! So we didn't get it. And the lady even came way down on the price too! We both wanted it bad...but guess it wasn't meant for us.
Then came home and finally got my potatoes planted. ( I didn't get them done the other day!)
Ok...that's most of what I said. Time to get breakfast and get busy here. Going to be another nice day!!! Have a good one everybody!!

Edited to say...George...love the puppies! And I bet that little house is just as cute!!!

Kimberley...how was the concert???
I like John Tesh too!!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2009 9:29 AM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6303166

didn't pass :( his test . he passed it several years ago but this time no.
got to make it quick sorry
Ric good to know on the hammer i will try that .
cat faces ? LOL well i didn't say i got it on the first hit LOLLL
Bonnie i had anger dreams last night weird ? i hate them. GUess i need to relax more. ? LOL
Geo cute pups !!!
got to run
have a great day
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6303214

Good morning :)

I feel like I can tease Sue about hammering because last summer when we were enclosing the back porch, I hammered in 16d nails like someone who had never held a hammer! Good thing that stud wall got closed up. I should have gotten out the framing gun but I'm not sure if I have any gas cannisters. (I haven't used it in about 6+ years.) Sue, Ric and Marcy are right about not choking up on the hammer handle... hold it right and let the hammer do the work.

Ric, I haven't tried the ergonomic hammers. I have always preferred a wood handle, as it seems to absorb the shock better, despite advertising hype of the handles with a shock core. I'm not sure I could even swing my framing hammer anymore. (Or even where it is... my tools are all scattered. Maybe I can collect and organize them this summer.)

The weather is supposed to be pretty decent all week. Unfortunately, the moon signs are all for pruning, weeding, etc. No good planting days for anything until April 6th. This would be a good week to get a new trellis for peas/beans built but I'm out of funds until April 3rd. If the mower will start (and has gas), I need to mow today. The green stuff we call "grass" is looking pretty scruffy.

Ta, ta...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6303254

Good Morning everyone...

Sun is shining and 49* here, so it looks like it may warm up pretty good out there today...

Didn't get to bed till after 1am, and didn't sleep worth a hoot...My ankle was cramping all night...Too many trips on the basement stairs I guess...I am going out in a bit and get the rest of my debris cleaned up, and see if this last freeze killed off anything...

Geo...I am so glad things are going smooth and quick for you...Ummm while you are waiting, shop around for those Bigger straws...Amazing what you can suck through them once its been in a blender..LOL Just add veggie broth, or chicken or beef and give it a whirl...LOL

Looking good on the GH up there Sues...Terrible tragedy about those 4 kiddos out there at the trailer park...I saw that yesterday morning online.. Very sad...That happened to an 86 yr old lady down in Fl...She left her electric tea kettle plugged in when she went to bed and it boiled dry and caught her kitchen on fire...Those things go up like you poured jet fuel on them...

Cookie, was just here and I gave her a bag of things from my craft bin mess...There may be some more when I get into the last big bin...I am finally almost finished sorting the bins, and tossing out...

Well, I guess I will get my garden britches on and get outside here as soon as I finish this coffee...It's gone from 36* to 49* since 9am, so I guess I will get with the program...Gonna get my poor roses back out of the garage and let them sunbathe...

I'll check in on y'all later on...Have a great day!!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6303686

Yesterday was another long one in Dayton.
We got home about 10:30 last night.
But we got a lot done considering...
The kitchen is gutted, a new wall built and rocked.
Cabinets bought and picked up.
Living room ceiling patched, furred and all the paneling removed.

Next trip the cabs go in... the walls will have been mudded, sanded and primed.
Tile goes up and we'll rock the LR.
Demo the Bathroom and rerock...

Here's the patched ceiling... w/ Robyn taking her own pictures.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009

Post #6303704

The new wall we had to build.
The originally the house was kit built.
The stupid interior studs are actually a 2 x 4 ripped down in half.
Darius I've NEVER seen anything like this!

WAY to small in dimension to support anything like cabinets.
So...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6303730

Now we have a wall!
And my Nephews learned how to use a Framing Gun

Thumbnail by henryr10

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6303750

Ric, good job, hard work in compressed time!

That old wall is how the interior walls in our house (trailer) are built. Probably the exterior walls, too but I haven't torn into one yet. I'm hoping for 2x3's but not holding my breath!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6303798

Thanks Darius the wall came out well I thought.
They are up there mudding and taping now.
You can see how thick the studs actually were on the left.

Just got off the phone.
We're renting a drywall jack for the ceiling in the LR...MUCH easier!

Ric

This message was edited Mar 22, 2009 1:38 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6304018

Our bathroom is so bubbled and peeling (clear down to the original plaster ceiling), we are better off putting in new drywall over it and starting fresh. Neither one of us is anywhere able to do that job, however, so we need to find someone. That's on our to-do list. We haven't ever painted the bathroom ceiling because the prep work is so daunting. I hope we can find someone who will barter. Once it's up and mudded, I think we could sand it and paint. Eventually, we want to gut the bathroom and re-orient stuff in there, put in some nice natural tile, etc. But that's years off.

The concert was *great*. Throughout the day, I was in contact with the guy who offered us tickets. He said to let someone on the production crew know he said it was okay to meet John after the concert, so we were able to meet John and Gib. We got our picture taken with John. It was so funny...John stuck his hand out and said, "Gardenwife!". LOL He said he enjoys my tweets (Twitter.com). We all talked for a bit and when we left, John said, "Gardenwife, I'm such a fan". He's so funny. Evidently my "Teshy Goodness" page has amused them. It was wild.

Howie's 6'2" and John makes him look short. John's 6'6" and can probably span 1 1/2 octaves with each hand on the piano. I'll have to ask. He did say he wears a size 15 shoe.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6304071

Gw i m so jealous ! what a fun time .
well I did what you all said and yes it did work better.
SO we got the back support beams in. I have to do the plastic and close it all up. Tomorrow we get some L brackets and another type of bracket for my rebar to hold down the Gh. One area is bowing in the middle but T says his GH days are over. LOLLL ITs all up to me . I think i can manage from here. ?
Ric room is looking good. !
Monday will be a rough day at my kids school. I hope they bring in grief counslers. Imagine coming to school and thinking your going to play iwth your friend and finding out they have died on saturday. ? T and i are just heart sick about the fire. I feel for them family's. I m going to try and see what i can do for the surviving parents and baby. Im sure they are just grief stricken. T&P for them.
ok we are off to finish up
later
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6305678

Tough news Sue. I hope you can be of service to the Family.
Kids bounce back pretty well from tragedies ...
better I feel w/o counseling unless specifically needed IMHO.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6305687

Anyone ever grown Skimmia japonica?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2202/

We picked up a male and female at HD for 6.98 today.

Nice fragrance and nicely grown.
Supposed to be a good shade bush... spring bloomer... berries for winter interest.
Kind of a Rhodie w/ Berries.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6305690

Well I dunno what it got up to, but it is still 61* here now...Beautiful peaceful evening...

When Cookie came by on her way to Berties early this morning, she said my pond pump was sucking air so the pond needed water... Hmmmmm...Not enough time has passed since fill up to lose that much already...Better go on the prowl again...I walked down the backside of the pond where Cookie said she thought it might have been leaking before...Sho nuff...Had a nice puddle behind a big ole fat 400 pound boulder...Called in the *Kubota Rescue Service Man*...Since that rock was going to Cookies anyway, get him to get it up and off the liner so I could raise the liner to stop the leak...Wellllllllll ...
That wasn't the only place it was leaking on that side...Apparently when Tony was whacking at suckers from the tree they pulled out of there for me, and /or the roots from the tree were wrapped, it broke loose the 2 inch PVC connection from the skimmer basket pipe going up to the filter and waterfall, so with the pump running, the water was seeping up out of the ground from the pipe like a tiny little spring...Couldn't see it because of the leaves and dead ornamental grass...I also found water around the sides and back of the skimmer box, so I just started heaving rocks off the entire lower side of the pond and found another leak, so I can add dirt to raise the liner again... We also got out the last of the scrub trees from next to the pond that had sent root systems in under the liner...There is still a Redbud there and a couple monster boulders (I'm talking 300 to 500 pounds or better here) that I'm sending to Cookie, so Tony will be getting those up and into the Kubota bucket before Bro starts back on his digging, and then Tony will be digging as carefully as possible to get that Redbud out away from the pond, and relocated, and I will pray hard that we don't kill it, but I can see where the root system is shoving those monster boulders down into the pond, and they are sliding the liner down with them...Good ole frost heaves...I will just have to keep a close watch for now, until I can get into the pond...I have moved most of the rocks, and lifted the liner and braced it up from behind, so I should be okay for now...
I made a flying run down to Lowes for a part to repair the pipe, but I will need to go back tomorrow and exchange it for a different one...so the pump is off for the night...
I finally got a wheelbarrow after begging for one for about 10 years for my birthday...Now I want a set of Waders made like bib overalls, like my Daddy had when he went trout fishing in the rivers for my Birthday...
But then again, I said last year that I wasn't going to have any more birthdays...so maybe Mothers Day would be a good day for them...LOL

Beside playing in the pond and the mud puddle, I did get 2 more wheelbarrow loads dumped, some more weeding done, some cleanup in and around some plants, especially the sedums...I have a bunch of rocks in the flower bed areas that I have to get picked up, and piled until I get the beds and the paths done, then I will reset them...I had one that I thought I would use down by the pond, so I was enroute with it to the filter box, and just as I got to the Clematis trellis, the pile of clippings behind it moved...Hmmmm...I put the rock in the pile, and turned to investigate, and the beautiful black and brown and yellow creature went right between my feet and up into the rocks behind the filter box before I could get turned around and grab her for a chat...Now I KNOW it's Spring!!! What a Blessing to have seen her today, and to know she lives here with me...As long as she doesn't eat my little baby fish, we will get along just fine...

She is a Northern Ribbon Snake, and they are just a tad different than a Garter Snake...This was a large female and extended would have been easy at 3 feet long...She was nearly that long in her *S* pattern on the move...But to go slowly between my clogs was a wonderous thing...She showed no fear of me at all, and I have no fear of her either...I will have to watch for her babies long about July or August, as she will be breeding soon if there is a mate nearby...The sooner I get those rocks off the back of the filter box the better, so I can add my dirt there, and get her habitat back in order...Looks like a project for tomorrow... :-)))

Creator is Good!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6305729

Sorry Bro ... we crossed...I agree... with 5 yr olds especially... Less said the better...

GL on the shrubs...Not one I'm familiar with tho... They are pretty!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6305740

I would prefer to talk to my kids myself but ... We shall see. Thanks for the kind words. Yeah i agree kids bounce pretty good :)
T ain't feeling to keen . His eye is giving him grief same as mine did .I really think with us being sick we just got pink eye and my eye medicine ( neoporene ) i m allergic too which gave me the crazy eye . DR gave me some antiobiotics eye cream so T is using that. WIth all his nose blowing and congestion , he thinks he may have a sinus infection. Then add rubbing eyes and blowing nose then touching eyes again ect... hmm could be pink eye too . We shall see if i can get him to a dr tomorrow.
yeah spring we got big black ants in the house again uhg. Got to spray soon.
get mosquito nets up around beds and doorways. I m not doing the bug bites again this year.
ok off to bed
good night
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6305760

yeah its hard since they don't really understand death. Savannah asks about it all the time.
then she asks about babys , then she asks about cartoons and are they real , then she asks about how oatmeal is made , then she asks about how does santa get down our chimeny and so on and so on LOLLL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6305849

When I was 5 our next door neighbor girl pulled a pot of boiling water off the stove.
Years later I saw her in a tube top and asked Mom about the scars.
She said I was home when it happened, Screaming, police, fire, ambulances, etc...
big neighborhood deal.

I don't remember a thing about it.

Our son's lost a good friend when they were 6 and 7.
It was bad for a few days... now even in pictures they don't remember him.

Kids have a VERY selective memory.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6305884

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 8:59 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6305900

Yeah they do Bro...If it is unpleasant, they will block it...

Great job on the house...Jim and I had that teeny wall to deal with when we did a minor remodel on a mobile in FL ..Nothing to deal with for a nail or a screw...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6306330

Sue, someone told me to put down a fine line of cinnamon where you think the ants are coming in. I did and it seems to be working. We have the tiny little brown ants in the spring, and can't leave any dog food out, or nothing on the counters, so I know your frustration about them.

Sorry to hear that your children have experienced the loss of a school friend. I agree, as young as they are, it will be a big deal for a few weeks, and then they will file it away, and it may not ever surface again. Sending hugs and prayers for the situation.

Ric, I think I say these things to stroke your ego, but I am constantly amazed by the skills and the work you do. Give my DH a small motor and he is a wonder, but not many carpentry skills. Guess we can't have both. But I have more need of carpentry than small motors!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6307120

Well, Dusty, I have seen them before, but I thought they were Garters. I'm afraid I don't appreciate them as much as you...consider her my gift to you...I won't be moving HER to the other pond! She is a big girl...I'm guessing she's not poisonous since you said she was like a Garter.

More digging yesterday with a short trip next door for Kubota rescue supervision. :o) It's coming along nicely. The white Bleeding Hearts are up and looking great, but the pink ones are MIA. Bertie's are up which made me think to look for mine. I'm hoping they're hiding under some leaf litter. After a nice day today and tomorrow, there should be some other things pop up.

I'm already getting a nice tan. I said it was from working in the garden and Bill said it was from sitting in the chair watching the pond progress...:-) whatever it is, I have white stripes on my feet from flipflops!

Bertie and I had to forgo the walk yesterday. Her hubby put her to work. We did find time to have a beer break together. This is the first winter we've actually managed to stay close all season. Funny, cause when we lived closer, we didn't spend much time together in the winter. I guess not having a job helps though.

Cinci flower show is in less than a month! YAY!

Great work on the project Rick and Robyn. I certainly hope the rest of the family is appreciative!

Sue, I'm jealous, what a wonder time you had! He is such a cutie-pie! John Tesh isn't bad either! ;o)

Mom is doing good. Finally getting her appetite back and feeling stronger everyday. Dad's knee is still not what it should be after a cortisone shot and two sessions of acupuncture. He goes back for one more on Wed. and he said if that one doesn't work, he's asking for a referral to his surgeon. He just can't put up with the pain. I know he is thinking about his garden and not being able to work it. Guess I may be helping this year!

Have a wonderful day all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6307325

Good morning, looks to be a pretty one. I have some domestic chores to accomplish, then I will be outside doing , I don't know what, but being outside is the main part.

Great job Ric and Robyn, hope the others appreciate your hard work.

Dusty, I started to say I would send you all the snakes I happen to see, but that would mean I would have to catch them, so I will let them slither off, and hope we don't meet again.

Well off to get busy.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6307516

Good Morning All...36* and sunshine here...Gonna be another beautiful day, and supposed to be near 70* tomorrow...I sure do hope this winter is over with...
I am going to head down to Lowes to get that part for the pond, and get back here and get busy...I have alot of raking to do, and I need to get the rocks off the back of the filter box so I can bring that dirt around from the front porch...That is the plan for today anyway...

How come you don't like Miz Ribbon Cookie??? They eat nasty things...I outta bring that big Black Snake that Bro and Tony say lives back by my barn over there to you...He would get that tunnel rat you have over there, and make lunch out of him...That is likely why I don't have any tunnels over here... ;-)) If I find him, I'm gonna stick him in the garage and let him get those meeses that are out there...They will make a tasty lil snack for him...;-)

You tellin me you don't like snakes Bons?? I have a healthy respect for them until I identify them...Once I know they are non poisonous, they and I can co exist just fine...If they are poisonous, I try to catch them, and relocate them out of my area...

Well, the coffee is gone, so I guess I better go get dressed and get to Lowes...I'll check on y'all when I get back, as I know I will need a back rest break after that trip...

Have a great day!!!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6308040

Hey Kimberley...glad you had such a good time. How neat to get a picture with John Tesh!!!!
Sue...sorry to hear about those children...what a tragedy!
It sounds like Tim has the same thing I've had! My eyes really bothered me too...and still are some. But I think the sinus thing and the eye problem all goes together. It's nasty..whatever it is! I AM feeling better, but still not 100%...like I want to be.
Dusty..you probably already know this, but just in case, be very very careful trying to move that redbud. They have a very long taproot, and it it's broken..it won't live.
And I like your snake. I actually like snakes...always have...Yeah..I know...I'm weird. Always been that too!! LOL!!
Well...working outside here today too...as soon as it warms up some more. Nice sunny day so far!
Hi to all who are reading and not talking...lol!! YOU know who you are!!!!
Have a great day all!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6308234

Yeah i agree with the test of this house but i think we are going to try the filter first .
I don't ever remember being this sick all the time
T has the same thing i had with the eye ! same symptoms , yes it does sound like congunctivitis iwth the swelling. Hmmm i thin since we all have been sick and rubbing eyes and blowing noses , ? who knows ? strange its in the same eye as mine was ?
Ric yes i guess your right
Not much at there school today ? no half flag ? no sign's that say "Thoughts and prayers for the family " i guess i am asking to much ? such a small comunity i really thought someone would give a memorial something ? but i do live in a perfect world .
not much here
with T and Austin sick , i just ran to wally .
not much else
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6308319

For the record most of the Family was there helping.
I did the kitchen demo and set up the wall framing.
Then used that as a teaching aid.

They were all back there yesterday.
But they live locally so... for us it's a 3 hour commute...

Robyn's laying the Travertine right now.
We put down 3 pieces last night to get a place to walk and a feel for how it goes down.
It looks Marvelous!

Neal your Lilies are coming back up here.
THANKS again!
Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6308454

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/pinkeye-topic-overview

I was taught that 'pink eye' and conjunctivitis are one and the same!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6308515

really ?
thanks Marcy
hope your feeling better soon . How are the GK ? are they coming to the RU also again with you this year. Savannah wants to know :)
thanks for the link
off to the drs
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6308516

If you need any more teaching aids, Ric, let Howie and me know. LOL

So was I, Marcy.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6308757

Darius, I thought of your Nautilus house when I saw this. How's this for a treehouse? What a wonderful retreat that would make.

http://www.archdaily.com/16445/yellow-treehouse-restaurant-pacific-environments/

Thumbnail by gardenwife

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6309322

hey, that's pretty cool (pretty, and cool!).

Buster came over and dropped the mowing deck on the JD to get the blades off. They are dreadfully dull and he has a grinder. Supposedly, the dealership sharpened them last spring as part of the free 1-year care... but I have doubted it from the moment I first mowed again after they brought it back. Yesterday I merely "chewed" the grass, certainly didn't actually CUT any of it.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6309669

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 9:00 AM
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6309767

Well I am so very sorry you took it the wrong way Dusty. I didn't mean to upsurp your authority at all. I am not a nurse..doctor or otherwise...and was just putting in my two cents worth.
I won't be posting on here anymore...since I never seem to say the right thing!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6310009

Marcy i hope you still are going to post !!! you better missy . :)
yes dr said it was conjuctivitis Dh got a script for it and will be fine . Thanks for the info Marcy and Dusty . :)
T's aunt died last night .. Hard year for T . Aunt 1 died in Dec 08 ,then uncle died in Feb 09 ,then this aunt 2 died last night . :( Auntie 3 is in hospice . We are going to try and see her tomorrow. Not bringing kids with us. They will stay at FIL.
We are bringing donations to the family of the children that died in the fire. The church is collecting stuff for them .
Wish i could do more :(
sorry to be such a downer :( been alot of praying going on around her at our house whew i m pooped.
hugs to all of you
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6310272

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 9:01 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6310541

Now girls... tch, tch...

I've asked Dave for years to allow smileys; I think it would sometimes help set "tone" to a post. Mine very often are taken the wrong way because no one can read inflection, LOL.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6310574

:-) :-) :-)

Thumbnail by synda

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6311909

:o) Please...family...

Good progress on the pond yesterday. Bill is finally comfortable about the size after measuring with a 140' measure. Trying to use the stiff 25' foot was not working very well.

It's to be a lovely day. Enjoy everyone!
valrita

March 24, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6311928

Good morning everyone.

My little kitty is acting a bit strange today. I think she might have a toothache (?). She is acting like she ate peanutbutter or something. She is acting like she's trying to lick something out if her mouth and drooling from the left side. She won;t let me look at it though. Poor girl doesn't seem to be in much pain but she is very irritated with it. She isn't choking and her eyes are clear. The only sounds she is making are occasional, short frustrated whines and almost constant licking in her mouth. She's about 14 years old but has never had any health issues.

For anyone who knows about the Dayton area, I need recommendations for a place to buy aged humus. I scraped a little money together and want to amend the new bed on the north side of the house. I've been going to The Mulch Man and his humus is great. But I was wondering if I could find it cheaper than $32 sq. yard (humus aged two years). I'm trying to pinch pennies. We don't have a truck or know of anyone with a truck to haul any ourselves. We have to have it delivered. Any recommendations? We live in Old North Dayton.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6312048

Good morning !
well Austin will go to the dr today uhg.
DH is feeling better .
Savannah is well and i hope she stays that way LOL
velnita your poor kitty :( I hope she lets you look at it and help her relieve some pain.
not much on our side
have a great day
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6312212

Goodmorning, Folks! Sure hope you all aren't (or won't be) getting any of that bad weather that's going through. Weather Channel was saying 90% chance of rain here today after thunderstorms late last night. Didn't get the thunderstorms and rain chance is down to 60% this morning. Most of it went farther north. Hoping it breaks up soon, as I have to go back home next week, regardless of what the weather is doing.

Don't know what all this stuff going around is or what causes it, but I'm sure you all are getting just as tired of it as I am. I finally started feeling half way normal a couple of days ago, but noticed my ear was starting to ache last night. I'd love to be able to get more than 3 hours sleep a night and have my head and chest clear, so I can breathe right. I'm beginning to feel like a hyperchondriach (sp?).

Nothing else going on around here, other than enjoying the peace and quiet.

Have a great day!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6312471

Synda, how'd you do those smiles? Can you do some of the others? Maybe it's a PC only? (I have a Mac and when I type :) that's what I get, not a yellow smile.)

I'll be a madwoman today... have to find real shoes, a blouse rather than a flannel shirt... maybe some make-up? and hair stuff to get ready for my job test/interview tomorrow. It's a matter of which box, and where's the iron? LOL

Robin, we are supposed to get some heavy rain Wed-Fri, and then about April 6 some snow. I hope by mid-April we will be clear of frost.

Ta, ta...

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6312486

Wow, don't know what conversation transpired overnight, but I hope y'all can mend your differences. Marcy, don't you dare quit posting, lady!

Velnita, your kitty could have something wedged between her teeth or in her gum. Maybe you can wrap her up in a towel and get a good look in her mouth?

I work today, not much else to report. The sun's shining and I should have a pretty drive in there.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6312601

I'm sure your interview will go well, Darius! Know what you mean about real shoes and a real shirt. I kind of feel like a fish out of water when I have to clean up and wear something besides jeans and a t-shirt. Thank heavens for sun dresses in the summer time! LOL!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 24, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6312630

Actually Pinkeye in cattle is caused by bacteria and is quite often spread by face flies

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Content.asp?ContentID=242631

Keeping the pastures clipped during the summer and fly tags and rubs help decrease the incidence. There's also a vaccine that can be given but I'm not sure just how effective it is.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6312879

Just running through for a quick hello!

Craig has a phone interview today! We're not sure what the job pays but it is a computer job and it is a work from home job. At this point, anything with benefits and a decent wage would be wonderful! We'd save on gas money too. LOL

Everyone here is fine. Nolan is eating and growing like a weed. He's already too big for newborn diapers and outgrown most of his 0-3 month clothes. Geesh! I think we're on the fourth pack of wipes and diapers. What goes in, must come out!

I hope you all have a great day!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6314285

Had a Dr appointment this morning, and while in town did my grocery shopping and all that needed to be done. Didn't get home until 2, and by the time I put the groceries away, and sat a read about 1/2 hour, it is time to cook supper.

The day just whizzed by, and nothing got done.

I will be back after supper and cleaning the kitchen, and see what I have missed.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6314630

Bonnie, it's been pretty quiet around today... :(

No rain this morning, but lots of rain and wind this afternoon. It's stopped for now, though. Think the sun is even trying to come out, with thunder in the background!

Seems like I've done nothing today, but the bed is made, dinner is cooked, a load of clothes are in the dryer and the car is emptied out of accumulated junk. Was going to take it to town to vaccum it out, until the rain moved in. Not much cleaning to do when I just sit here all day.

Dusty, how's the yard and pond work coming?

Chele, babies grow so fast, don't they? Appreciate the update on Baby Nolan! How did Craig's interview go? Do you all have high speed internet?

Velnita, how's your kitty?

Sue, is your gang on the mend now, after the doctor appointment?

GW, forgot to mention that I'm glad you enjoyed your Tesh concert. What a treat!

Marcy, what'cha been up to today?

Darius, how'd your interview go?

Ky, good to know about the cows and flies. Don't have any cows yet, but I bookmarked the list.

Well, nothing else to say so I'm signing off for tonite. Hope if the bad weather is headed in your direction, that it settles down before it gets there. Stay safe! :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6314644

took ds to dr and we talked about our new house and he suggested opeing the windows more due to our stain and varnish on the logs ? i have no idea on what level of VOC are in the stains ect... but i wanted to get a more enviornmental one but well... trying to talk T in that is like moving a dead elephant.
nothing else here
i really want to fix the GH and get the end peices on but the plastic is to short grrrr.
take care
sue

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6314743

darius you do space then ^ _ ^ Without any spaces in between the symbols and that should make your smiley. :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6314761

Robin, interview/test is tomorrow. Not sure how much of an 'interview' since there will be several of us taking the test. But, I'm almost ready... found shoes, repaired the ripped sleeve seam in a silk blouse and pressed it (at my neighbor's, LOL), found my gold earrings... just showered so my hair won't be wet in the morning; still have to find my black silk camisole, and set the alarm. 'Bout as ready as an old broad can get... but Lordy, I'm out of practice!:-)

Lazy day and I don't know where the time went... Buster put the sharpened blades back on my mower, and I cut the last swath after picking up more debris. That's about all I have to show for today. Bleh.

Thanks, synda (if it works)!
valrita

March 24, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6314766

:-)
Just checking to see if it works for me. I've always wondered how people did that.

Edited to add...YAY. It works!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 7:33 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6314767

Pooh, doesn't seem to work on a Mac... but now I remember Dave put that smiley in his forum some time back. :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6314775

Hmmm, worked in the second post but not the first one...
valrita

March 24, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6314777

You have smiley faces, Darius. I can see them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6314786

Yeah, on the second post... I see it too, but not in the longer post just above it.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6314911

I see it in the longer post too. Best of luck tomorrow!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6314938

And if you hold your ALT button and press like the number 1 at the same time you'll get 1 ☺ 2 ☻ 3 ♥ ETC
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6315063

The interview went well msrobin! Thank you for asking. The man he talked to was really impressed with him and said he is recommending that they call him back for the next step which is a one and a half hour phone interview.

It's not a high paying job and they did ask why he'd want it. He told them he was looking to get his foot in the door at a good company that he could grow with and he heard they are a good company to work for. It's hourly pay, good benefits, work from home. They pay part of the internet and phone bill and supply him with a laptop to use and he can even train from home. They also said there should be plenty of overtime available before long. Cincinnati is a newer market for them but they say it looks very promising!

It's a big, well known computer company which makes me feel better but I hate to get my hopes too high until he gets the word. We've had too many ups and downs. sigh

Oh, since you asked...we do have DSL. We gave up cable TV but justified keeping the internet for job searches, so I can continue making/updating websites (which pays for it) and for sanity! LOL

On another good note, the neighbor we help out had a load of gravel dropped and spread in our driveway today. Now we won't have to knock our teeth out driving on the pot holes. LOL NO ONE liked to drive down our driveway! He also gave us a set of phones that he just bought a few months ago. He hated them but they were identical to what we had. One handset is corded and there are also two cordless phones with their own bases. Ours didn't want to hold a charge anymore.

Dare I say it's been a good day?? I even got a few loads of laundry done and made dinner. :) And that was with hubby gone from 8am until around 2pm.

Sue, I'm happy to hear you are getting somewhere with the medical issues. I did kind of wonder if it's something in the house. I've heard that large quantities of new carpet, paint, flooring, etc can contain a lot of chemicals and let of gases that can make you ill. Maybe it's just new house syndrome? Hopefully aging will take care of it if that is the issue, especially now that it's nice enough to open windows.

Darius, good luck on your test tomorrow!

Nice to see you Synda. I don't think we've officially met. I've been a little scarce lately.

Y'all have a good night.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009

Post #6315140

Chelle, so glad to hear you had such a good day! Time for a new pic of Bam Bam. (that name just came to my mind for for the little fella, from the way he's growing I bet that's not too far off, LOL). Wishing Craig the best of luck.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6315152

LOL We haven't landed on a nickname for him yet. We call him lots of things but nothing has stuck. Bam bam is funny! So far his hair is still dark and his eyes are leaning towards blue. Plenty of time for both to change. I need to take some more pics. He's having a bad case of baby acne this week. LOL

Thanks for the good wishes!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6315184

RU info

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967030/

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6315698

wishing Craig the best of luck for this interview. T&P .
Thanks for the kind words Chelle . I hope we get this resolved too. Gonna look at a dr Jules gave me also tomorrow. lots of calls tomorrow.
Glad you had a good day ! that is always a plus. ARe you getting sleep ?
good night
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6315742

Chele, holding you and Craig in my prayers for a good outcome with the interview. Sure hope it is a go, even if it is a lesser job, better than no job. Bambam, what a cute nickname! Sounds like he is gonna be a big fella, so let's not rush to nickname him too early.

velnita the first thing about the cat that came to mind was maybe something stuck in it's mouth. DH had a beagle who got a bone stuck crossways in his mouth, and was acting strangely, and when he let me look, I was able to get it out. First time that dog had ever let me touch him. We went on to become great friends.

msrobin, I sure hope we don't have storms, but we could use the rain here. How long will you be staying at "home" when you go? If you get a chance stop by, would love to visit with you again. Course this early won't have any maters to give you.

Thanks Joyce and Ric for the work on the RU. I have it marked on my calendar, and will be looking forward to it.

Bertie, and Joyce I will be bringing my twin sister with me again, and please practice her name, it is Sue, Sue, Sue, Sue, but she usually answers to anything!!

Off to check some other forums.

Marcy, and Dusty, please bury the hatchet, no one was right, no one was wrong, a technicality, so come on back and play nice. Love you both, and don't like to feel like there is a elephant standing in the middle of the room which no one will acknowledge. THERE IS AN ELEPHANT STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS THREAD. Let's let him move on. Please.
valrita

March 25, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6315864

Chele, lots of luck to Craig on the job interview. Looking forward to more pics of Noland.

Taynors, I hope you get things figured out. Your family has been sick for so long.

Defoecat, I'm going to watch Magic until tomorrow when hubby gets home. If she doesn't get better, he's going to help me hold her down. If she gets worse before he gets home--to the vet we'll go. She ate dry cat food a little while ago. Slower than usual, but she ate. She eats very little anyway (she only weighs between 5 and 6 pounds). Plus, she picky about her food--only Iams dry. She won't touch anything else. Not even tuna or salmon. She isn't smacking her lips quite as much but she's still drooling. Her breath was bad last night so I think it's an absessed tooth. She seems to be over the worst but wants to be left alone. Still, I'm ready to fly to the vet if she gets worse.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6316403

Marcy,
Thanks for the "hello" to us readers...lol..

Someone can really build...wow

Badseed, prayers for your DH getting that job. A cartoon comes to my mind about a baby who is very strong and has super powers. Can't think who..Was it Baby Huey??

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6316527

good morning !!
well dr day again and lots of calls to make .
T is going to take his test again.
velnita hope the kitty feels better soon
I agree Bonnie lets let the elephant move on. Please come and play ladies. :) we miss you .
Bonnie are you still having them dreams ? i had horrible dreams last night , I woke crying . Uhg i must be really stressed ! LOL sheesh
i think i may go smoke some cigs and get some wine. Beer makes me bloat and get gas. eewww. but i love beer but it don't love me.
rained all night here. Good thing cuz we did a big burn yesterday. Lots of our wood piles we sorted through and took what we wanted and burned the rest. I m giong to save some ash for the garden ( if i need it her and there at times) . None of the wood was treated so i think i am good. to use it ?
take care
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6316539

Sue, best of luck to T on his test.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6316590

:) thanks
i will tell him
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6316611

This thread is getting pretty long, so I started us a new one here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967156/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America