Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden: First Time Container Gardner

Communities > Forums > Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable GardenReplies: 1, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ocdette
Brunswick, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6272291

Hello! First post and first container garden! Predesigned and set up I currently have two tomato plants, bell pepper, zucchini squash. They've lived on my full sun deck and have survived a week. I'm proud and anxious that they do well! Don't exactly know what to do when they get large but suggestions are welcome. I also love daylillies and they are coming up in the ground.When do you divide them? I'm happy it's Spring! Who knows about Red Tips and if they will really work here? I've read many different opinions but need something fast growing that will provide a hedge along a fence. And in South Ga we have a wonderful crop of DOLLAR WEED! It grows and I can't get rid of it! Help!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6274824

Wonderful -I have not been to GA but I bet if you posted in the Beginner Vegetable or Flower Forum they would but here is what I can tell you -

Tomatoes need - about 5 gallons of space each in a container
Peppers need - about 2 gallons of space in a container
Squash need - about 2 gallons of space and a lot of spreading room for leaves and crown.

Daylilies - divide them after bloom for best bloom, but anytime when they are up and green they can be divided.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice, Mitch. Aunt_A 1 Nov 11, 2008 3:35 PM
Oh Dear! LouC 5 Nov 11, 2008 9:35 PM
Great phicks 1 Nov 11, 2008 8:03 PM
Early veg. 'paragraph' g39king 2 Apr 11, 2011 2:01 PM
Iris questions solegypsy 1 Aug 7, 2009 3:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America