Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Plants for small pots?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 5, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6273867

These hyacinth bloomed in frigid early February. (My first attempt at growing flowers!) Now that the blossoms are long gone and the real Spring is coming, I need to find a new kind of plant to try in these pots. They're 3" in diameter, and about 5.5" tall, no drainage holes, but very absorbant. The hyacinths had to be watered pretty regularly to keep the soil moist. The windows are second story southern facing in Rhode Island. Any suggestions on some nice bright small flowers? I just started some 6" Pansy seeds in peat pellets... but I'm afraid they'll be too bushy for these pots. Once the weather lets me keep the window open, the plants will have about 4" of 'bushing' space.

Thumbnail by Plants4myPots
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6282091

Those are nice little pots! You could grow Amaryllis bulbs in them, just be careful with watering since there's no drainage. Check your local Wal-Mart garden center, they usually have a few different Amaryllis bulbs in spring, at about $3.00 each. They grow fast and produce beautiful blooms!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

March 18, 2009
9:33 AM

Post #6283808

Your amaryllis is lovely plantladylin. Our garden centres had orangy ones in a month or so ago - I might have to have a trip to our supermarkets over here and see if we have any of the bulbs in :) (We don't specifically have Wal-Mart but they do own one of our big supermarkets so fingers crossed :)).
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6285432

Dipsy: If your supermarket doesn't have any, ask to speak to whoever orders plants/flowers and ask if they can get a few in for you! Never hurts to try! :-)
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6285960

You might want to consider paperwhite narcissus. They are very fragrant. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2293/ I don't know if these are easily available in the UK, but they are frequently sold in the US in the spring already started in pots, I have also seen prepackaged bulbs (or are they corms?) that can be used for forcing indoors.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6321456

Thanks Plantladylin! I didn't know that amaryllis could do so well in tiny containers! My father has a few salmon colored amaryllis very similar to yours down in Florida, but he has them in bigger pots. Paperwhite narcissus is a good idea too - I think actually had a hard time choosing between the hyacinths and the narcissus when I was picking bulbs to try last November...

Will the bulb plants like amaryllis, narcissus, and hyacinth grow well and flower in Rhode Island during the summer? The bulbs took 9-10 weeks to flower from when I planted in early November. If I found some bulbs (internet might still have some) and planted them by the end of April - it'll be mid-July before they might be blooming. It's likely to be 80 degrees or more in the window every day by then...

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America