New USDA Ruling

southeast, NE

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?contentidonly=true&contentid=2009/03/0060.xml

Let's hope our cattle don't "go down" after we ship them to market! I guess we will be eating more of our culled cows. Unfortunately, people abused the system and the rest of us will have to suffer.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Cancelling re-inspection after ante-mortem so that personnel can be better utilized... that's about efficiency, not safety. Speed things up even faster, make more money.

And kick me if I remember wrong, but it was E. coli that was causing all the illness and death from meat last year, not Mad Cow. Seems to me that happens during processing. Oh, gosh, but if we were to actually hire enough inspectors and slow things down enough to catch contaminated batches, that'd be inefficient.

Pardon my cynicism...
Jay

Waddy, KY

Actually we are grinding up a cow on Sunday that died from hemmorraging after the vet pulled the calf. That may sound replusive to some but I know what she died of, she had no meds and was healthy before she died. She'll make hamburger just fine....

Janet

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yup, it'd be a shame to give that to the dogs...
How'd you put her down? I ask because I sometimes have to put a horse down, and have in the past used the needle, but looking at all that meat I've wondered if you could eat it after that. Anybody know?

Waddy, KY

Bullett in the brain worked with this one.... She was almost bled out before we shot her. When we opened her up she'd pretty much bled out into the peritoneal cavity. I don't know which artery ruptured but it was pretty complete.

We used the same method on one that tore her uterus a couple years ago.

I have a relative that used to be a butcher and he has a home meat saw and grinder so away we go!

Janet

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Burger Queen! =0)

Waddy, KY

It gives you a great appreciation for a sharp knife that will hold an edge and a good steele!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I guess! =0)

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

What's more repulsive is to waste good meat.......cow, horse or otherwise...

Ginger

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yep, I agree. I knew woman who ran a sort of dog rescue deal and as I had to put the horse down anyway, I thought I'd give her the meat. But no abbatoir (?) would butcher it for me and I sure didn't know how to do it myself. Real shame. Prime two year old horse meat went to fertilizer.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's illegal to butcher horses in the US, unless you do it yourself on the qt. Animal rights

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Well, this was before they made it illegal, so it was just massively inconvenient. The closest place to Abq that was OK'd for horse slaughter was in Phoenix. She'd destroyed her leg on a fence and I'm not one to sell an injured animal to be shipped like that.

Of course, now that it's illegal to slaughter horses, I've been reading how the livestock sale yards are turning them away and folks are either letting them starve in the pasture or dumping them on public ground to fend for themselves. THAT's certainly an improvement (voice rich with sarcasm).

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I wish the people who think they are helping animals would really look at what their wonderful ideas have caused.

On the USDA ruling, NYS has been that way for awhile. There was a guy in the next town who raised hunting dogs and he would come and do a rough butcher job on a down or newly dead cow and throw it in stew for all his dogs. Unfortunately, he's been gone for years. We used to have a rendering plant that would take them, but they started charging to haul them off and then quit taking them all together.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Clear, rational thinking isn't their strong suit.

The thing that really gets my goat is they laud themselves as compassionate when by my lights they're merely soppy sentimental and naive.

Well, there's really no sense in going any further, we all just gotta do our best by our herds and hope our farms survive.

Hang in there, guys. I appreciate what you do and the difficulties--at least some of them-- you struggle with.

Jay

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The horse slaughter system needed serious work but they threw the baby out with the bath water IMHO. I don't want any of my horses to go to slaughter, 2 of them were saved from a slaughter truck, but I take responsibility for my animals and when the need arises for one to be put down, we take care of it. That is much better than having one in awful pain or slowly dying of starvation. I see a lot of that and it's not pretty.

Sallisaw, OK

There are no easy answers to the horse slaughter issue. While I don't like the thought of horses being eaten, it is a common enough practice in some countries and I don't feel I have the right to tell those folks they're wrong. Just as some countries eat dogs or cats - it is most definitely NOT something I'd even consider! *shudder!* However, not everyone who owns a horse can keep it forever, or has room to put it down and bury it on their land and now they have lost the option of selling it at auction and getting even enough to not owe the auction house! Some of the local auctions have been requiring a $40 upfront fee to unload and sell a 'loose' horse now - if it's ridden in the ring the fee is not required. Apparently too many people have been dropping horses off and leaving phony names so the barn can't find them later. I heard yesterday of a fellow who was out of town a couple of days and came home to TEN horses dropped off in one of his pastures! Said someone had cut the lock off the gate, backed up to it, and unloaded them into his land with his horses. Not only does that mean he has to get rid of them before his grass is gone, he's hoping none had any disease or are coggins positive. What a mess - now groups are trying to keep horses from going to Canada or Mexico for slaughter, too. Heard ND and/or MT were looking into opening up new slaughter plants - think it would be a good thing. Better to have it done here in humane circumstances instead of how it's reportedly done in Mexico. Sorry for getting up on my soapbox!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't have a problem with horses as meat. I don't want any of mine to be eaten but I know mine are wanted and well taken care of. Many don't enjoy that and death would be a relief for them. But it should be required to be a humane death and humane handling before death, ie. hauling, holding ect. I think those are the issues that needed addressing. As long as there are industries that produce horses as a byproduct, they will have to be dealt with. With the economy getting tighter all the time, they will not be able to be absorbed into the horse owning public. And shipping them to Canada and/or Mexico is putting them in a much worse situation that already existed. There are many horses here who are abandoned or starved. People are giving them away because they can't feed them. We help as many as we can but we can do very little in the scope of things. I know every little bit helps but it is disheartening none the less.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images