Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: Perennials growing since March 5, but I'm in Zone 3a!!!

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

March 16, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6276437

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if this is normal. I live in calgary, alberta in Zone 3a, but my front yard flower beds always starts earlier than my moms flower beds. I'm not sure when it started last year because I had just moved in March to my new house and hadn't planted anything yet. But when I did plant, I noticed that my lilac tree and newly planted Iris bulbs were blooming a good 3 weeks before my mother's Iris's and lilacs. Since about March 5 this year, I have seen thyme, Iris's, tulips, yarrow, stonecrop, and periwinkle (creeping myrtle) start growing so far. The snow has barely melted around some of them. Is this normal for my zone? Or is my front yard a different zone? and if so, what zone would it be???
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6277253

It's normal. There are two possibilities for what you are seeing... A great many perennials are evergreen (though few people seem to notice this), and you may be seeing the live foliage from last year, which will resume growth as the ground thaws.

Also, in sunny sheltered areas, such as on south-facing slopes, growth already started some time ago on a lot of perennials. Two weeks ago, as we started cutting down perennials in the front yard, all the usual suspects had new growth... and a whole lot of others had their usual evergreen foliage.
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

March 22, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6303959

Ahhh! ok. Thanks!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6304797

I was out in the beds yesterday cleaning up my roses, all of them showing green...whew! My Rhodos and Magnolia are all covered with bursting buds, tulips, daffs, daylilies and campanula all up and lookin' happy. Gorgeous Spring day here...15C. Ya gotta love spring! ^_^
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6305058

You folks are so lucky...we still have snow here. Nothing growing here yet.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6305485

perennials are funny that way as soon as the temp is right for them they start to grow and if it gets colder again they just stop till it warms up again

my sister is only five minutes drive from me and my garden beds are always two to three weeks earlier than hers since I live with the shelter of the woods and in a lower area and she is in the open with no trees it is always windy at her house which makes the temps cooler by 5c or so which makes it late her zone is a 5a
my other sister is 40 minutes north east of us and she is in a 4 zone to my 5b

it does make a big different is all location location and location hahahhaha
Janina5309
Calgary
Canada

April 5, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6368084

LOL! Yeah, my mom was shocked, and a little jealous I think. But on the other hand, her Iris's grow 4-5 ft tall, instead of what's normal in Calgary at about 1-3ft. It's ridiculous how fast her plants grow, but she did install one of those automated sprinkler water saving system thingys, that water the exact right amount at the most ideal times of the day. It really does make a huge difference
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6369156

Im like your mom if a plant says 30 inches mine will grow to 50 all my plants grow bigger and taller than what it state and I only fertilize my potted plants inside I dont fertilize outside just compose every other year thats all and Im believe in mulching to save water

mona
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6370234

Finally got a nice day & this little pansy bloomed. It had hitchhiked from Grow_Jo's. I had planted a rose (from Grow_Jo) in late fall, which had some pansies with it into my veggie garden for the winter.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6370608

aren't pansies great?! Lovely colours
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6371198

are you saying I could plant my pansies outside now lol since I have two trays of them I have not grown or bought them before first for me

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America