Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Newbie here. Please help me not mess this up! ;-)

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 63, Views: 797
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

March 17, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6278074

Let me toss this out first, my whole gardening experience revolves around growing a few tomato plants in five gallon buckets. So I don't know much about this but have been reading everything that I can. I love forums and this looks to be a great one! So many people that are willing to share. Not that it really matters, but I also have a disability that simply doesn't let me get down to ground level and work there. However I am confident that I can do this bale thing.

I live close to Louisville KY on the Indiana side. I am a little confused about a couple of things that I have read. First is that I have read instructions for positioning the bales with the strings not touching the ground. Then I found other folks saying that it works better with the strings against the ground?? Is one better than the other?

Also there seems to be some debate about using straw or hay and I have seen some folks talking about how well that hay works.

The kids are all excited about doing this so I would really like to hit a home run and use whatever system will work the best. Any suggestions that you have to help are greatly appreciated!

Jeff

2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6279677

Bales held with twine can rot if the twine is lying on the ground. Mine are bound with the melted plastic ties, so I put mine on the ground to have more planting space. My opinion is If you have humid conditions - try straw. If you are dry, like me, hay holds moisture better. Keep asking questions. This is a great forum.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 17, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6279805

Jeff: I initially oriented my bales with strings OFF the ground because that is how the "original" recipe stated to do it.

My 3rd year I went with strings ON the ground.

This works much better if you are using straw.

With the strings OFF the ground, the orientation of the straw stems/shafts act almost like drinking straws and let a lot of water through the bale.

With the strings ON the ground the water has to work it's way down through the bales.

I like it MUCH better with the strings ON the ground. Not as much runoff, thus it doesn't take as much water.

I haven't used any hay/grass bales, but those who have love it.

Hay just costs a lot more in my area, so I'm sticking with straw.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6279923

I agree with Kent, the cost of hay around here is way too much for this to be cost effective so I will probaly stay with straw. I had very good results with straw last year anyway. I'm expanding to 3-4 more rows this year to grow cukes, squash and pumpkins in. I will still have two rows of four bales dedicated just to tomatoes. Jeff this will be a blessing if you are unable to do traditional dirt gardening. I am able to do it either way but was so pleased with the output of the tomatoes, less pests and diseases that I will probably never go back to dirt for them. Good luck and if you have any more questions, we are all willing and able to answer them!

Doug
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6291360

2ndChance,
are you talking the Yellow/black color plastic twine as apposed to the natural brownish twine that is like hemp?

My bale has the Yellow plastic twine on it, will it rott on the ground?
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 20, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6292838

MissJestr: that plastic twine will be here until the Rapture!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6295392

Then it will be on its side. I will be planting this weekend, it is moist and ready to go...
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

March 21, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6298377

Thank you for all of the advice. I'm shopping around for my bales now and I'm finding some hay for $2.50 to $4.00 per bale. I'm only going to buy a total of twenty bales so I might try some of each and see how they compare.

thanx!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6298605

Hay around here is in the $5-6 range but today I am visiting a farmer who is GIVING me about 20 bales for free of year old hay! Let the warmer weather begin...

Doug
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

March 21, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6298836

Doug, I like FREE, that is a great price!

Hey, I was planning to plant my tomato's, peppers, squash and cukes around May 1st. Do you think that is ok for our area? Or should I wait a bit longer? I want my tomato's going asap!!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6303056

I usually plant mine after Derby Day so you should be fine.

Doug
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6303168

I was going to try this last year, but never got around to it. I am definitely doing it this year! I have about 40 bales of year old hay in my old barn (We have 15 acres of hay that we bale each year). I am going to start moving the bales outside, to the old pasture next to the house today.

The hay bales are tied with that thick orange string that does seem to last forever.

As I understand this, I water them each day, correct? And wait for them to start cooking. I'm going to go back and read all the how to do it threads. I'm anxious to get a lot planted at a level that is easier on my back.

I'm really going to do this!
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6304363

LOL - sounds like an affirmation, Beth! I'm really going to do this, I'm really going to do this . . .
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 23, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6305829

Beth: welcome, Aboard!

Looks like you're jumping in big time! :-)

I haven't used hay, only straw, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the pre-treatment characteristics of hay/grass bales.

Since your bales will have a natural supply of nitrogen, just monitor the inside temps and see what happens.

I don't know what the weather is like in KS, but the pre-treatment process involves moisture, warm temps and nitrogen.

The warmer it is the better decomposition microbes perform.

A major point to consider is just don't transplant into your bales TOO SOON, before all the energy is used up in the initial decomposition process. You don't want to kill your plants which has happened to some of us before.

I know it's a lot of reading, but there's a lot of good info in all of these threads.
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6308379

Thanks for the encouragement. I hauled 6 bales of hay out of the old barn which is on the other side of the farm up to the field next to the house.
I forgot how heavy those things are! I also forgot that I'm really bad at backing up a small trailer to load the bales on. That took me longer than anything else - and I have a lot more bales to go just to get them in place.

I have compost piles from last summer with chickenpoop/goatpoop/straw/hay/horsepoop and grass clippings. I'm thinking I might use that compost under the bales or maybe bank some of it up against the sides of the bales?

It's going to take a while for my little seeds to grow big enough to be transplanted - probably a month. Our weather is goofy. today, it is 65. Tomorrow it could be 40.

I wonder if I would be wise to just put the bales where I want them, put some of that weed barrier between them and then wait until our last frost date before I start watering them.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6313175

Kent, My bale has been outside since last october and I am thinking it should be about ready to use... Now here is the toughy question.

Seeds or plants which is easier to start?
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 25, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6314958

Miss J: all I've ever worked with are transplants from flats/4/6-packs, so you can see I'm partial to that method.

Maybe others who have seeded straight into/on top of the bales will weigh in.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6317780

you just pull apart the straw and plop it in there? Cajun told me she uses a level to make a hole.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

March 26, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6320217

Miss J: yep, make a crack in the bale. It'll probably help if you have something like a trowel to help. That's what I use, or I just use my hands. Drop your plant down to the first leaf. I put some commercial potting mix, also, in the crack and then push back together.

Eufaula has another way of doing it: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950161/

Check it out at her March 22nd post. She uses a bottle.

Cajun uses a level, you said.

Lots of different ways.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 9:12 PM
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6342735

Has anyone had any luck growing pumpkins with haybales? To date I have NEVER been able to get a pumpkin to grow full term..

Never tried haybales before. So this is all new to me.. Reading every thread I can click on. lol.. I can't wait to give this a try with maters and cukes..

I am very worried about mold down here on the gulf coast.. Im sure my neighbors (and hubby) will think I have lost my mind..

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread.. Just saw the word pumpkins and thought this would be a great place to ask question. :)
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6349144

I'm tryinmg melons this year, I don't see why squash wouldn't work.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6349213

I'm doing my squash and cukes for the first time in bales this year. After the squash are gone I plan on putting in pumpkins too so I'll guess we'll find out how they do!

Doug
Dirt_Road
Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6350616

Well I can't wait to see if pumpkins will work... Dreaming of the day I can grow my own!! I can't wait to see everyone results.. Fingers crossed it works..
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 4, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6362778

I found a local farmer that had some hay bales for sale. He is delivering them to me for $4 ea. I originally thought I would take twenty but I decided not to get too carried away until I have a little more idea of what I am doing. So I ordered twelve... that should keep me busy for this first year I think!

I want to get these set in place this weekend and start getting them ready. I wonder if I should prepare them the same way that folks are the straw bales? If it doesnt hurt anything I will, I want to make sure they are ready on May 1st.
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 5, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6368053

Alright, we have 12 timothy hay bales in place and wetted down!

Any suggestions about AN on the hay? It won't hurt anything will it?

Looks like I have about a month until I intend to plant so I think the bales should be in good shape by then.

Thumbnail by Hondo_Lane
Click the image for an enlarged view.

2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6368072

AN will have the same effect on hay - but watch the temp, you may not need as much or as many traetments because I think hay has more nitrogen in it already.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 6, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6369483

Hondo_Lane: your nitrogen source on the bales won't hurt anything. You're gonna have some green grass around the bales for sure.

Do take the time to check the temps with your hands and with a thermometer if you have one. It's fun to feel the progress as the temps rise up and then drop back down.

Add just enough water to the bales to wash in the nitrogen - about 2 gallons or less/bale.

You're doing fine.
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6386036

I have a problem I need some advice on. Here in Kansas, I cannot purchase AN. You have to hold a special license to buy it because it was used in the Oklahoma City bombing, and it was purchased here in Kansas. Sigh.

So, what can I use instead? I have chickens - is there something I can do with their poop that I can use?

Is there some kind of powdered fertilizer? Or could I use maybe liquid fertilizer?

Help!

Thanks!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6386091

Any high nitrogen fertilizer will do. Urea or bloodmeal is what most use if they can't get AN. If you're not going to plant for another month or so I would just water them every day and let the softening up of the bales happen on their own.

Doug
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 10, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6389101

Beth: agree with Doug.

I'm using more time and just water this year. I may add some nitrogen to a few bales to see if they "cook" back up.

The nitrogen addition is mainly for the quick-start method, it seems.

Ammonium sulphate is usually what most vendors use, but just check the NPK and if it's high nitrogen with low P/K, and readily water soluble, that will work.
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6401850

Kent, I found some blood meal - 12-0-0 - I'm gonna try that and see what happens!
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 13, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6402841

Beth: 10-4 on the Blood Meal.

The only amounts I've read about from others who used it was about 1 cup/bale every other day beginning on day 3, but use at your discretion since this is definitely not an exact science.

This year I didn't use anything but water.

A few days ago I added some ammonium sulphate/urea (34-0-0) for 2 days to see if the bales would heat back up.

They didn't.

So, the slow-start method seems to work OK, too.

I just enjoy watching/feeling those bales get up to temp.
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 23, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6453750

I am just itching to plant something in my bales but I know its awful early here. Matter of fact I had frost just a couple of days ago.

However, looking at the forecast through May 2nd, I don't see anything forecast temps for lower than fifty.

I think I am going to go ahead and plant a bale or two just for fun. I think I can protect two bales if I see the temps taking a dip on me.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 24, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6454345

I know what you mean my Indiana friend!

I had the itch too strong this year and planted a tad early for me.

Lost some plants and plan to replant tomorrow. We've got some gorgeous weather forecast for the next week and I'm off until Tuesday.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6456562

I'll probably drop in a couple of maters too this weekend.

Doug
tortoisekeeper
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6456733

I started my veggies from seed in early March. How big do the plants need to be before I put them in the bales. I put some marigolds in and they are doing good. The itch to plant is very bad LOL

Betty
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 25, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6460702

I'm off to Thienemans for Tomato Days! They have a huge selection of Heirlooms to choose from. I'll let you all know what I buy when I get back.

Jeff

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6460748

Jeff if you haven't left yet one of our DG'ers works there on a volunteer basis. Gary Millwood (VGMKY)
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 25, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6461477

Thank you Doug!

Somewhere on here, I had tripped over a post by Gary about volunteering at Thienemans and we had exchanged several DMail messages. So today while I was at Thienemans I looked Gary up and said hi. We had a nice chat but that place was really busy so we didnt get to speak for very long. Gary gave me some great suggestions for plants and I will be trying several of them. (Thanx for the help Gary!)

They had an amazing selection of heirloom tomatoes and peppers and I brought too many of them home with me!
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 25, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6461661

Here is a list of what I bought at Thienemans today.

Amish Oxheart
Arkansas Travler
Australian Heart (Joe Thieneman)
Beefsteak
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Purlple - Potato Leaf
Cherokee Chocolate
Dwarf Champion
Franks Large Red
Hazelfield Farm Red
Indiana Red
Ky Heirloom
Ky Plate
Large Red Cherry
Linnie's Oxheart
Opal's Homestead
Red Kimberly
Riesentraube Red
Rutgers
Sun Gold Cherry (hybrid)
Sweet Baby Girl (hybrid)

This ought to fill up most of my bales!!

Jeff
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 25, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6461821

Wow! Wish I had a local source with all those varieties!
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 27, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6467857

I planted three tomato plants in my first bale. Since I'm not sure what I am doing, I want to make sure these three survive a day or two before adding the others. These timothy hay bales have been sitting out and wet for three weeks. I did not use any AN on them at all.

The first small plant on the left is a Sungold Cherry, the two large plants are Early Girl.

Thumbnail by Hondo_Lane

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #6469141

Looks good Jeff! Great score on the maters.

Doug
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 27, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6470942

Kent, It was an amazing place to shop for plants. I'm lucky I got out of there without going bust!

Thanx Doug, we are learning as we go. I bought a bunch of maters hoping that a few of them will survive my rookie mistakes!

I went shopping for a good fertilizer / feed for my mostly mater garden. I ended up buying a Miracle Grow feeder hose attachment deal and a small box of Miracle Grow Tomato Food. Those little boxes of tomato food are about $5 each so I suppose this could get expensive over the course of the summer if I feed every week or so.

Doug, did I see you post somewhere about using some kind of slow release fertilizer that you only put down once? If so, could you tell us a bit more about it here? That might be the best route for me, and I would rather copy success than experiment on my own and kill everything!

I had gone to Lowe's and their garden shop and got so confused looking at the various feeding options. The Miracle Grow appears to be almost idiot proof so I thought I would give that a go to start with.

ALSO, since I just transplanted my plants into the bales... should feed them right away or wait a week or so? It seems that I have read where people have done both. Is there a best practice on this?

Thank you all for your help in getting me into this, we are having a blast!

Jeff

This message was edited Apr 27, 2009 1:49 PM
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 27, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6471204

Jeff: if you're using the Miracle Gro, it won't hurt to water/feed right away.

Our local county Ext. Agent PhD says it's almost impossible to burn a plant with Miracle Gro since it's so diluted. That's one reason I like it.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6472402

Jeff I got the organic Miracle grow. Its a real stinker, but ...well... its organic! It says it will keep on working for up to two months, so far it has woked really well. A powder compost that I watered in . My potatoes love it. I dont know whether its the straw or the fertilizer but they are really jumping right now! E. Oh ... and no Burn!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6474899

Jeff, I just sprinkled some slow release organic fertilizer (or use Osmocote) on top of the bales after about two weeks and I never fed them again. They were still going strong late into October. They outproduced any that I saw planted in dirt.

Doug
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 29, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6477211

Doug: about how much did you sprinkle on the bales?

I bought some Osmocote and thought I'd try some.
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 29, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6477581

Kent, Doug & Eufaula; Thank you for your help!

I planted twenty three varieties of tomato and four kinds of peppers. After getting them all set we used some MG and watered them in good. I thought they looked a little rough after the transplant, but they are looking good this afternoon after yesterdays feeding and the rain we had today.

I appreciate everyones ideas!

This weekend we build the trellis system... then we wait. Knife in one hand... salt shaker in the other! lol

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6477637

I'd guess about 1/2 cup per bale. Are you using hay this year? That may make a difference. At that point I didn't keep records. I planted 7 Better Boys today in last years leftovers in the enclosed rows. I'm waiting a few days to plant in the new bales. Two are new straw and two are two year old hay which seems to be ready, but I'm gonna wait to plant at the same time to see if there's a big difference. I'm off this week so I'll try and take a couple of pics of my new setup if the weather cooperates.

Doug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6477642

Jeff, salt shaker already???

D
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

April 29, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6477711

Doug, yea I may be pushing it a bit! ;-) Guess I'll put that shaker away for a while. Jeff
htcoe
Oriental, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6479905

Hi, I subscribed to Dave's Garden mainly to read this forum.

Kent, I read your article about bale gardening in Tideland Topics (our electric co-op) and decided if I want veggies this is my last option. My neighbor's 18 dogs use my garden as a latrine and they were filled with worms. Health department said no more using it for edibles. So here I am.

My bales are packed so tight that I couldn't get a plant in:
1. use trowel-no
2. got knife-nope
3. got bigger knife-no go
4. got bigger knife with serrated edge-ha!
5. husband got small saw- he gave up
6. husband got sawsall- exhausted at this point but we had lift off

We had the worst weather when I stared the bales. Temps in high 30's at night and really severe winds. In spite of it my tomatoes are doing wonderfully well and, to my surprise, there are two tiny cukes! I also planted peppers, watermelons just for fun, and zucchini.

Are you pinching out the side shoots on your tomatoes? Usually I do but my farm supplier said not to.

I'm gardening in Pamlico County, NC

Oh, yeah, Kent, you're cute too!
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

April 29, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6481189

htcoe: good afternoon, my Pamlico Co. friend and new bale gardener!

Welcome, aboard!

I, too, started my bales when it was much cooler and it took longer to get them softened up.

But, they have really gotten better over the past 2 weeks. Yours will, too.

I'll definitely remember this post.

Probably the first mention of using a sawsall!

I usually sucker my tomatoes for the first 18 inches or so, but this year I'm about 80% leaning toward not suckering at all.

Some say by not suckering you get more tomatoes, although they may be a tad smaller, and the extra greenery helps in case some branches catch a disease or some other problem and you have to prune it off.

As for the "cute" part, it's amazing how these computer screens create such an optical illusion! :-)

So, jump on in the discussions. This has been our best year, yet, for new bale gardeners.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #6482873

Jeff, your tomatoes, the ones you posted pics of, look great. Hey everyone, we want pictures!! I would love to see you guys cutting the holes with a sawzall. LOL

Can't believe you guys are so far. I have my bales but due to both my DH and I with problems with our backs and feet, they are still on the truck. Just a couple of days and I will have them down tho. AND started.

Jeanette
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 10, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6527875

LOL, you guys just won't do . digger
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

May 21, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6577084

I was suprised to see that I have fruit on two early girl plants. Isnt this way early? Is this a problem?

Thumbnail by Hondo_Lane

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6577167

Ya its bad..I'll be there to pick them for you when they are ripe..LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6577637

It's a problem only if you get a freeze like we are suppose to tonight. Isn't that always the way it is? Things start blooming and then a freeze hits. If I were you I would watch the weather reports and cover them if it sounds bad.

Just went out a few minutes ago after 10 o'clock and brought in some plants.

Jeanette
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

May 31, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6623056

Here is a pic of my bales as of today. Most of my plants seem to be doing well and many of my tomatoes have fruit on them now. Some of the bales have broken down more than I expected. I hope to have my trellis in place in the next couple of days so these plants have somewhere to go. Gee this is a lot of fun and I wish I had found this years ago!

Thank you to everyone that took time to offer advice and help me keep this project moving in the right direction!

Jeff

Thumbnail by Hondo_Lane

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 1, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6623842

Hondo , the plants look so healthy.I enjoy going out in the morning with my coffee and just sit in a chair watching the day wake up . digger
Hondo_Lane
Memphis, IN

September 15, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7066756

Hi folks! I wanted to post a follow up to all of my questions from a few months ago. First off let me thank each of you that offered suggestions and answered my questions about this straw bale garden stuff.

This project has been more successful than I ever imagined. We grew a whole bunch of maters and peppers and had great success. I always said I wanted to grow more than we could eat and we managed to do that!

The straw bale garden (hay in my case) was very easy to set up and maintain. Everything grew well and was overall a pretty simple process. I see us doing this every year from now on. Matter of fact, I am already sketching out the layout for next year. I have a few ideas on how to improve my garden and add some different veggies than I had this year!

I wish I had found out about straw bale gardening years ago!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7066939

Jeff, congrats on your success! Our unusally nice weather this year probably had a lot to do with it. After saying that though I thought about last year (my first year) and I had tomatoes up through October although I did water considerably more. You are now considered "Officially Hooked on Bale Gardening" like the rest of us thanks to Kent the Enabler!!!

Doug

Hey, I'll be up your way the 5th of Oct. I'm going to Munchkin Nursery that morning and Bob Hill's Nursery that afternoon.
KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

September 15, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7068369

Jeff: good deal! I'm already busy planning my garden for next year, too! LOL

Just got Dr. Carolyn Male's tomato book today, to help me plan for next year's crop.

link: http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/c/77/

Doug: I love to "enable"!!!! :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America