Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: IT MUST BE SPRING!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 17, Views: 162
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2001
2:32 AM

Post #1470

The sun came out and wham! - so did the people. They were everywhere scurrying around like ants, carrying plants and wicker furniture out of the stores. It's still February for goodness sake. But isn't it wonderful! One particular store had already put new shipments of trees on their lot, the shelves inside were well stocked and the clematis selection was fantastic and very healthy looking plants for about $5. I was praying I would find Clematis montana but no go. I have never seen such a hive of industry in this town in months. Is the hibernation season over I wonder! Our last frost date is still in March - does someone know something that I don't? Has Spring come early and no-one has bothered to tell me? Oh I hope so!!!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2001
2:46 AM

Post #52693

LOL! Louisa, We measure spring down here by when the crawfish start selling---yep, there selling! YUMMY! Mardi Gras also kicked off this weekend, another sign of spring for us cajuns. Lisa
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2001
10:29 AM

Post #52720

Louisa
I do believe spring is early here in the Mid Atlantic, I've been seeing Robins for a few weeks, the local stores are all stocked up on gardening inventory, and like you are last frost date isn't till March...but I'm not complaining, I welcome spring with open arms!!!! Just don't let mother nature fool you as she likes to do...still could get a week of freeze or even worse...some snow!
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 18, 2001
10:41 AM

Post #52722

Spring may be coming around you, but not here. Last night the snow was five feet deep in some parts of the driveway. The only robin we see is on the old Batman reruns! I think we have a while to go, here. :(
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 18, 2001
6:35 PM

Post #52803

Hi! There's a touch of spring here as well, in spite of hard frosts in the mornings. There's people out sweeping their paths, building walls, building drives, men whistling, squirrels jumping around with great mouthfuls (food? nesting materials?), long-tailed tits doing acrobatics in the fruit trees, and spring bulbs coming up. Snowdrops are in bloom and so are crocuses and Iris reticulata.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2001
7:25 PM

Post #52811

I can't imagine all that snow that some of you have. Heck, I can't even imagine 1 single snowflake!!! It's been about 80 degrees for several days up until today which is a little cooler. I have a feeling that Spring will be here very shortly along with all the bugs. That's one reason that I have to plant my garden so early...to get a jump on the bugs. I was out planting potatoes last week and I was attacked by gnats. They live in the soil and every time I turned the soil over a cloud of them swarmed up and bit me. Ouch!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2001
9:18 PM

Post #52824

Hi Northerner - (fellow Brit):-)...I miss my garden back home - just over 1 acre of my personal 'paradise'. I keep walking down the garden path under the apple trees to the shed festooned with honeysuckle and climbing Iceberg, to the adjoining pergola room adorned with as many climbing roses and clematis as I could cram in. I love the Spring bulbs especially the miniature "Tete-a-Tete" narcissus that nestled under the Forsythia. The weeping Silver Birches would dangle their leaves just brushing the snowdrops and always the cats would walk beside me taking it all in also, but probably more interested in the blue tits that made their home in the nesting box on the old shed. The babies would fly from their box to the pergola testing out their flying power and all this time (until they flew away) I would stand guard over them when the cats were on the prowl. My garden was featured on BBC TV about 7 years ago, Dr Stephan Buchazki came and did the programme. Oh happy days! Now, a new adventure for me and an exciting one at that. I'm in love with Virginia and never a day goes by without something of beauty touching me. Spring is definitely coming folks and for you who still have snow it must be doubly spectacular.
RaeBuckner
Noel, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2001
2:42 AM

Post #52897

I'm having the same early spring thing. Only problem is our last frost date isn't till April 15th, and our area is known for a late heavy frost or snow. So although it's teasing like spring, I know there's a strong possibility for snow and winter yet.
~RaeBuckner~
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2001
1:34 PM

Post #52996

It seems that the weather is a little weird, don't you think? I lived in the Tidewater area of VA until this last year and the winters were mild and short. Now I am closer to the mountains and expect it to be cooler here but friends tell me that the Tidewater has been nearly or just as cold this year. I think there are global changes just about everywhere. Look what happened in England with all the rain and flooding - it was disastrous. Luckily my folks were spared all that misery. It's just that I expected the 4 seasons over here to be just that. But one day it's quite warm here and a couple of days temps have gone down again. There does not seem to be a gradual and steady progress towards Spring. I'm not complaining, God knows we are so lucky to be spared such extremes as experienced elsewhere.
Heidi
Toston, MT
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2001
9:27 PM

Post #53067

I do believe spring is in the air!!
I'm so excited!! It's been a LONG, COLD winter.
But today is atleast 45 degrees, the snow is melting like crazy, and my horses are starting to blow their coats.
Sure sign that spring is just around the corner.
I can't wait to start replying to some of these posts that are about planting and working the soil with "me too!"
Haleluya!!!
Heidi
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 19, 2001
10:30 PM

Post #53082

My local Garden Centre made a delivery today. A few more bulbs in the green to brighten things up and LOADS of lovely primulas. I'm going to concentrate a group of them down my garden path.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2001
4:04 PM

Post #53204

Hi Northerner, My brother lives near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk and he tells me that snow is on the way!! By-the-by, did you see my post to you re: favourite candy?
Northerner
Middlesbrough
United Kingdom

February 20, 2001
7:43 PM

Post #53243

Hi Louisa!! Yes, I heard we have cold weather on the way again. Today was a bit dull but reasonably mild. I was able to go out and put in my hundred primulas. That's brightened things up a bit!! I concentrated them in the bed that goes alongside my garden path and in the beds at my front and back doors. I might move them into different positions later in the spring. I though it would be nice to have things really cheery and welcoming as people approach my front door. I've also got some other bulbs on mail-order. I've ordered some more snowdrops, winter aconites and miniature daffs. Occasionally I top up and plant some varieties in the green. There's some bulbs like snowdrops that are better this way. I've also put in an order for summer-flowering bulbs. Lilies, day-lilies and bearded iris. A lot of my neighbours have shrubby-looking gardens, very dull. I like COLOUR!! Nothing like a few sunny days for the gardening bug to strike again!!!
I don't know Bury St Edmunds at all. It's in the South of England. I live in Middlesbrough, that's in the North-East, near the Dales. My folks were Scots so we used to go north a lot for holidays. I still have a lot of family living in Glasgow. If I ever won the Lottery that's where I'd live. I'm planning to go up to Glasgow again and see them. My Auntie Edith is in her 80s now and it's a while since I've been up.
Snow generally doesn't lie too long here, not at this time of year anyway. All the same I haven't pruned my roses yet. A few more days won't hurt them and they'll get past the risk of frost.
Well I put some good work in today. Think I'm going to have a long soak in the bath. Bye!!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2001
8:37 PM

Post #53258

Hi Northerner, I must say I am really envious of everyone who has a garden right now. We are building a cottage on a couple of acres of forested land and move in end of May. Whilst the site is absolutely beautiful with mountains in the background and a lake down the hill, I still have a lot of work cut out for me although the beauty of the area will compensate for all the hard slog. I'm looking forward to it but if I could just transport my acre cottage garden from the UK to here, I would be doubly happy. =:)
mr_bill
Southlake, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2001
7:43 PM

Post #53721

Spring is here too! The daffodils and crocus are all in bloom. My pond temprature has risen to above 50 degrees so feeding the fish has begun. They all seem happy. I can't wait until I can start putting plants into my new pond.
Come visit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_billr
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2001
1:41 AM

Post #53764

I saw geese flying today! I know spring isn't here yet, but it is sure on the way. We have a good storm hitting this weekend though.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2001
2:04 AM

Post #53765

gardener Mick, Did you ever see the movie about the geese 'Fly Away Home' - I loved it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America