Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Subaru Bajas

Phoenix, AZ

Anyone on the forum have one, and if so how do you like it? I'd love to trade my car in for a vehicle with some higher ground clearance so I can take the dirt roads farther out for hiking, and I really dig the way these things look. Just wondering if they run as good as they look (I know, personal opinion) or if I should just get a real truck.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

just becuz im a CHEVY girl and no other reason!! Get a Truck! ;)

Missouri City, TX

Well, we don't own a Baja, but have driven Subaru's since 1983. Currently have a 1990 Legacy with well over 360,000 miles and a 2008 Legacy with 30k.

Started with a 1983 Turbo - loved it, but ruined 3 turbos - just could not wait for it to cool down, so it was our fault.

Bought the '90 in Sept 89 - only car at the time with a teen age son in the house - averaged 60-75k year, and 25mpg.

Bought a '99 SUS (Sports Utility Sedan) Outback Sedan - anniversary model. It had 1.5" greater ground clearance, and the manual (which had always said, "all road vehicle"), now said, "off road vehicle". had a minor fender-bender, so traded it for the "08 - wanted another SUS, but Subaru quit making them, and we really did not want the "wagon" configuration of the Outback. Actually I wanted a Tirbeca, but once I saw it in person, I knew it was too big for my DW, so took the Legacy.

The '08 is the first car I have ever owned that consistantly gets BETTER than the EPA estimate - and we have even broken 30 MPG on the highway at >limit speeds for several hours.

The '90 is my work "truck" - I do construction and renovation as a hobby, It is often loaded with $2-3K worth of tools, and I don't care where the construction site is - full time 4x4 gets me there and back every time.

Sorry for such a long post, but we love our Subaru's.

corrected spelling error

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:37 AM

Phoenix, AZ

Hah, both replies from biased people on both sides. Thank you both very much, it's much appreciated!

Jerrod

Missouri City, TX

Had a GMC crew cab - 23' long - loved the truck, but with a 454 "punched" engine - it might get 8-9 mpg going down hill. We drove all over Colorado in it, but approaching 300k miles, we removed the engine and trans, and scrapped the body - spindles, brakes, etc all going, and lots of rust, too.

Way too big for a city truck - now I rent one whenever I need one - spend less than $100 / yr -- Insurance, license, and maintenance was much more than that for 200-300 miles a year.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If I can share my two cents worth. We lived in the valley in the early '70s and spent most of our free time camped out in the desert. Our vehicle of choice was a short wheel based pickup. It had a 6 cyl engine with a five speed transmission which had a low "crawl" gear. We went virtually everywhere the smaller Jeeps/Landcruisers/Broncos etc. of the day could go and we did not have 4WD.

We do now have a Jeep 4WD and love it but our primary vehicle is still a truck. If I could only have one, it would be a 4WD truck. Versatile in what it could haul as well as providing a secure place to sleep.

Now, that said, the folks I know that own the Subarus love them. I would have to say if they suited your purpose I'd get one.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks podster, much appreciated. I just closed on a house and don't really need a new car right now, but I've heard so much about the deals offered on vehicles and wonder if it's worth it to swing buy some dealerships just for the heck of it and see what I can find to get me off the main roads.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Go shop... and do it with a cavalier attitude. You might be surprised at what all they will offer you. DH bought "another" dream car recently and they really dealt on it. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.