-
AuthorContent
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6281142

The 12 Month Quilting Block Swap for 2009-10 has begun! Since you have all been so anxious to get started I will start receiving your colors and block patterns IMMEDIATELY and the first blocks will be due to me by the end of May.

Each month will be a seperate thread so we can keep track of the blocks, colors and the results.

Remember, each participant will choose a pattern and colors for the blocks she wants for her month. Each month, except the one that is yours, you will make a quilt block (and one for yourself if you choose) in the pattern and colors designated by that months' individual. Send the block to me and I will send all 12 blocks to the person whose month it is. No embroidery since some don't have that machine option, but you can choose from a variety of patterns.

Please send the pattern directions to me, Ladydragon 5, before you post it on the thread. I should be able to tell if it is just challenging, or not possible! Also, please send me your e-mail address and your mailing address if it is not in the DG Exchange.

Block Specifics:

1. All fabric should be 100% cotton. Please wash all fabric before making
block.
Fabric is completely up the individual as long as it is 100% cotton.
2. Do not use any spray starch on blocks, spray sizing is OK.
3. Remove all selvages before cutting fabric for blocks
4. Block should be 12.5 x 12.5 when finished.
5. Make 1 block to send and 1 block for yourself (optional).
6. Cut off date for your mailing would be the end of the month i.e. the June
block would need to be mailed not later than June 30th.
7. Do not mail ahead although you may make your block ahead of time.
8. You may ask for fabric types (patriotic, country, geometric) and ask for
SOME specifics (no solids, Tone on tone) but that is all.
THIS IS A SAMPLER QUILT! NOT PAINT BY NUMBERS!
8. Remember, after you make a quilt we would love to see your results!!

You will be signing up for the entire year, so even if you get your blocks in the early months, remember you need to stick with us for the entire year. Others are counting on you. If something happens and you will not be able to complete a month or the 12 months, please contact the hostess as soon as possible. I realize that everyone has a life outside of the swap, but please try to plan, so that things will go smoothly.

The following are participants in this swap, their colors and months they will receive their blocks.

1. May - Taters55 - Red, white & blue
http://quilterscache.com/S/SquareswithinSquares2Block.html

2. June - Shuggins - Black, white, red
http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CardTrickBlock.html

3. July - Quilter5bdsr - red, off-white, blue/off-white stars (patriotic)
http://www.quilterscache.com/J/JulyFourthBlock.html

4. August - Qwilter - red, white and blue
http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChainBlock.html

5. Sept. – Llilyfan – red, off-white and blue. Winter Star
http://www.sewquilty.com/History/0201.html

6. Oct. - Ladydragon5 - blue and green batiks
http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NorthWindBlock.html

7. Nov. – Heavenscape - scraps of stripes, checks, polka dots. NO Pink
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ScrapbaggerBlock.html

8. Dec. - Fleursdefouquet -tradional Christmas colors; red, green, white,gold.
Debra will embrodiery your name in the middle of your block
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SignatureStarBlock.html

9. Jan. – Cheriffic - burgundy, tan, white. Small prints; no solids
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BirdofParadiseBlock.html

10. Feb. - BarefootT - blue for dark, yellow for light. Prints/TOT; no solids
http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthemonth/ss/jacobs_ladder.htm

11. March – Babeegirl - True red, true yellow, black & white.
On The Oregon Trail
http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OntheOregonTrailBlock.html

12. April - Abbisgranma - white on white background, scraps
http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RomanStripeBlock.html

13. May - Bettypauze -

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 9:23 AM
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6281167

May is Taters55 (Linda Kay’s) Month. She will receive her blocks
sometime in June.

Shuggins - Sheila
Quilter5bdsr - Barb
Qwilter - Jean
Llilyfan - Susan
Ladydragon5 - Janice
Heavenscape - Jaye
Fleursdefouquet - Debra
Cheriffic - Cheryl
BarefootT - Thunder
Babeegirl - Sondra
Abbisgranma - Marion
Bettypauze - Betty

*means they have been received by Janice

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 9:17 PM

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 10:50 PM
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6281207

Guess I need to get my block picked! I know I want Black, White with a touch of red.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6281416

Thank you Ladydragon5. Let the games begin. Does anyone object to first names or must we keep this to sign-on names? I'm never sure on DG. Don't want to offend.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6281427

First names work for me.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6281502

Me too Sheila../ I find it's easier to relate. Barb

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6281597

http://quilterscache.com/S/SquareswithinSquares2Block.html

Here is my block, and I like the red white and blue colors!

Wow, can't believe I am first!

First names is fine here too!
Linda

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 5:46 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6281727

You ladies have picked some fine blocks! I really LOVE the Winter star!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6281990

Sondra here :)
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6282364

Youg gals are really on the ball! So glad that you are all so excited about this swap; let's keep the excitment going throughout the year.
I'm glad you decided on real names as I expect to get to know all of you VERY WELL!

Looks like we have a lot of red, white and blue lovers. I know those colors make great quilts and the colors are usually true to what the chooser had in mind. Black and white is another good combination, but feel free, ladies, to push the envelope with your color combinations. Even if you have to "show" us a piece of fabric that is the color you want so we can get it right.

Keep up the good work!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6282541

Darn I'm terrible with names!!!

I'm home!!!!! The critters were all happy to see me. My cockatail spent quite awhile sitting on my shoulder and singing and doing what else birds do so well!!! The cats met me at the door. Now to pay the bills that accumulated. I'll get the link to the pattern out probably Fri - I am taking the day off.

I know it will be RWB - patriotic theme.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6282551

this may sound stupid, but can I have a clarification please??? is august Qwilter,,??

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6282562

qwilter, you typed as I was typing, I was wonder ing if it was you ;-} now I know...I am bad with name too

everyone is going to have to be VERY patient with me...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6282568

One of us can't spell!!!! She can - I just have to be different and break the rules!!!!!
We all need name tags

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 18, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6282614

First names are fine with me too Cheryl

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 18, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6282625

did we all decide paper piecing was out
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6282648

Yep, Qwilter is in August and Quilter5bdsr is in July. If you will notice you are all in alphabetical order, just reversed. Those at the end of the alphabet usually get put at the end of the lilne, so I thought I would give them a break by letting them go first. I also thought this would be an easy way to remember who goes next; just check your a,b,c's.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 8:50 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6282678

Please don't choose a paper piecing pattern. I have never done that before, and would have no idea where to begin!
Thanks

Linda
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6282686

Oh, Jean, I am sorry. My bad... I should know you well enough by now not to spell your DG name wrong but I guess I just followed the one ahead of you. I have made the correction in both of the spots and maybe, since you have been away for a while, you wont even notice. hint, hint. Glad your back.

Well, what is the feeling about paper piecing? It is really stretch for me by I am dying to try it. Since I only have to (complete) one I can practice to my hearts content. Speak Up, Ladies!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6282757

I really have a "single" mind set right now so will post my colors and block the first of next week. Just arrived back home from Gainesville, will be gathering up items needed for the festival and returning early Thursday to stay until it is over. I have a good idea of the block but want to look one more time before posting. thanks!!
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6282875

I would prefer if we didn't do paper piecing, but will go along with whatever everyone decides.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 18, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6283168

Okay take a look at this block it has a very small amount of paper piecing . It really is a great one for beginners. My month is a year away plenty of practice time. If everyone still wants to stay away from it that is ok too. I have another pick. http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BirdofParadiseBlock.html

Thanks Cheryl
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
9:52 AM

Post #6283826

Actually, this one can easily be done w/out paper piecing. I can send instructions for anyone who prefers to do it with a template.

And I, for one, don't mind paper piecing as long as there aren't a gazillion tiny pieces to deal with.

But, I'm not in charge here - but again, will send "normal directions" for anyone who would need them.

I do like the pattern - Love Bird of Paradise plants!!!
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6284190

I love paper piecing, it's addictive!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6284221

What do you think of that Bird of Paradise? Isn't that the most beautiful thing? I can see it in batiks; oh, boy, this could get interesting.
Unless someone REALLY objects I think we should go for it! If Jean can send the easy directions to anyone who wants to go that route and those of us who have wanted to stick our toes in the paper piecing pool can try it that way. As she says, this is almost a year away so we have time to practice.

What say?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6284222

I would have no problem with this block Cheryl and it is a good way to learn paper piecing. It's very simple. I also like your suggestion, Pat, as this would help anyone who wouldn't want to try paper pieceing. Stretch a little ladies -- and since you have a year to practice why not?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6284320

I would not mind trying it, but send templates just in case!

LK

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6284330

Linda, you can print out the templates from the pattern page. Check out the top right side of page one.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6284375

I went down to my sewing area downstairs last night and couldn't believe how disorganized my fabric has gotten. I try shoeboxes, plastic stackers, shelves, and it all ends up being mixed up together after a few projects. Has anyone found a unique way to corral the fabric monster? I think I just like making a mess:)

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 8:29 AM
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6284463

I am trying a new idea. I found some 12x12 plastic envelopes at Wall-Mart. When I sign up for a swap I put the pattern and the fabric in that envelope. As I work on the blocks I put them back in the envelope (since cat loves to sleep on or play with these) and after I mail them I empty the envelope of scraps, file the pattern, and it is ready for another swap. I use the same method for other projects like purses to make or easter baskets to sew. Helps me keep track of how many "balls" I'm juggling at one time.
I use the larger clear plastic scrapebook cases for my fabrics. I keep them by grouping; black and white, red, white and blue, and then the odd ones. I wait until these are on sale at Micheals or Hobby Lobby.
Now my problem is that none of my shelves are deep enough for those cases to fit, but since they stack I can store them elsewhere.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6284541

Do you have a picture of your eater baskets?
Would love to see them.
I make mine from elmers glue and a ball of 100% cotton crochet thread.
LK
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6284800

Funny story...I was driving home from out of town on Saturday and stopped by a small quilt shop in a VERY small town. One of the ladies there was making Easter baskets from a purse pattern. The pattern came in petite thru lg. and she was using the petite. It takes only 1 yd of material; 1/2 for inside and 1/2 for outside. She had girls stuff with eggs and bunnys and boys with John Deere tracters and racing cars. They were adorable and the friend that was with me said, "I'll buy the pattern if you'll make the baskets" so ...that's another fine mess you've gotten me into, Olly!

If you want to know what pattern I can let you know when I get home from work tonight or just mail you the pattern and directions.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6284822

I'm interested...like I need ANOTHER project!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6284840

Me too please!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6284858

I have decided on July Fourth at http://www.quilterscache.com/J/JulyFourthBlock.html in red, cream, and blue/cream stars. The reason I said cream and blue/cream stars is that I can't find blue/white stars anywhere!!!! If you can match cream in blue fabric with other cream, that would be wonderful. I'd like them to look like the pattern.
Since my blocks are for July I thought these blocks would get everyone in the spirit of the holiday...

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 12:57 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6285076

Is this the one you are talking about. That is pretty!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6285398

Linda, I fixed the link - sorry about that. After seeing all the beautiful red, white and blue blocks before, I knew that's what I wanted. DH picked this one from five options. I think it will be fairly easy. If anyone has problems with it just let me know and I'll help however I can.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6285436

I'll get the info on those patterns for the Easter baskets to you no later than tomorrow morning. I'm at work and have swimming after, so I get home late tonight.

Looks like I had better get on the ball here. I thought since I had Oct. I could wait a bit before choosing my pattern and colors but you have all been busy bees. I don't want you to think your hostess is not coming through. (Maybe I should give you the block I used for the black and white; it was quite a challenge. See?http://www.quilterscache.com/H/HuntersStarBlock.html )

But I will come up with something; maybe one for a batik?

Put on my thinking cap...Hum

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 18, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6285672

I like that choice Janice looks like a fun block.

Thank you everyone for giving my block a shot :-) Cheryl

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6285697

Definitly Cheryl We like a challenge and you gave us an easy one. I love the block. Have you any preferences as to color placement? -- what part of the block that you want a certain color? Barb

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 18, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6285772

Yes, I would like the white to be the backround please

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6286208

You want the white where the blue is in the picture? What color for the center?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6286587

Janice - do you mind if we work ahead? Like send you the 1st 3 blocks all at once. Or do you prefer a block every month?
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6287521

Barb, Susan...do you want me to make copies of the pattern and send it to you are do you want to get the entire pattern yourselves. I can only copy the petite (Easter basket one). The others are two big to copy. The purse is call The Two-Hour Tulip Purse and it can be found on www.janicedpope.com at her Anything But Boring Shop.
Just let me know which way.

As for working ahead, I don't mind if you do that, I know all of you will anyway. But please don't send it to me until the month it is due. I have a small house and as you can see I sometimes loose or forget things so I would rather not have to remember which blocks go to which people for which months when I get a bunch all at once. You keep them and if you loose it, well, I'll forgive you but I might not forgive ME.
Also, please make sure you mark your blocks or put notes in that say which month the block is for (better yet, which person it goes to). As you can see we have a lot of red, white and blue blocks and it would be so easy to mix them up.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6287657

How big is the petite one?
Maybe we can enlarge it?
LK

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6288833

Janice, the petite basket is fine for me. I'll gladly send postage/SASE for you if that would help. I don't need the purse one as I have several purse patterns already. Thanks loads, Barb
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6289194

The petite is fine by me also. I'll try to remember to include the postage when I send the first block!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6289239

Do you have a picture of it?
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6289273

Barb, Susan, LK, I am sending you copies of the front cover with picture; templates for all purses and all the directions. They should go out this afternoon; I'll drop them off at the post office on my way home.
Hope you enjoy them; now I just have to find time to make them!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 9:34 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6289311

Janice can you email them? If you can scan them, just send them in a email

lcartwright@stx.rr.com

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6289330

Sorry, LK, snail mail will have to do. I can only go so far here at work. Copying they are OK with but to scan them to my computer and then e-mail all pieces would tax them to the limit (I work for State gov.). The bigger templates took the large 11" x 17" paper but I was able to get all of the templates for you.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6289349

OK, Will look for it in the mail! Thanks
LK
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6289393

Janice,
can I request the background to be the off-white/cream and no solids?
Sue
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6289416

Thank you so much for the pattern, like you I need to find the time...ummm, if I wasn't sitting here I could be sewing!

Will be looking for the pattern, Thank you so much!
Sue
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6289517

I'm so excited! I took Thursday and Friday off next week to sew. It will also be my target date to quit smoking. I will do it this time!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6289738

Janice - Thank you so much for the patterns. Pressie will be on it's way.
Babeefirl - What is your quit date? I may just join you. Maybe we could enable each other?
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6289763

I think a specific request, like a cream print, not solid cream is okay, but I think we should try to avoid being too specific about the exact fabric we would like in our blocks. Everyone's resources are different and something that may be easy for me to find, may be impossible for some one else to find. Just my opinion.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6289786

The only reason I asked the question of Babeegirl is this: after looking at the pattern she chose I wanted my block to coordinate well with her quilt. I suppose I should have dmailed the question. Didn't mean to start anything. Barb
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6289843

To those of you who are quitting smoking, my compliments. Anything we can do to help you along that path just holler. If we line up lots of projects so that you have to sit at the sewing machine and not get up, will that help? I will gladly send some work your way. Just want to helpful, here. LOL
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6289856

Barb...No, no. You didn't start anything. I think people picking their color placement is fine. If some one wants red in the center and the blue on the points or whatever, I am good with that and that is certainly a question that needs to be stated here so that we all know. I just saw some other requests and wanted to make sure we were all on the same page. Not pointing fingers or criticizing, just making a comment.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6289941

Sheila that's what comes from trying to smoke and read at the same time "Smoke gets in your eyes" . Thanks for the work load Janice - If I do one third of all the stuff I have lined up, I'll make it through it. Thanks for the help friend. Barb

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6290058

No matter how specific one can get to one's color choices, there are still 11 others that may or may not able to 100% comply with the choices. I understand Shuggins' worry perfectly.
My tan may appear too taupe, heavens forbid, not be your choice of tan.. my cream may be a tad too yellow for you.
So, I will do my best to meet all your requests.

Expressing my concerns, as this is my 2nd time in a quilt swap where fabric color or choices are not shown in real live time.
Just want to do my best.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2009 12:47 PM
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6290294

Slow down a little bit! Don't want to smother your enthusiasm but we have a whole year for these blocks. Originally I only asked for the ladies with the 1st four months to give us colors and blocks 'cause I knew some of you would want to work ahead. But others have been giving their colors and blocks and while that is great I don't want those who want to take their time on this to feel rushed.

Since my October block is 7 months away I think I can take some time to look for just the right block and colors. Was going to do red, white and blue but we have more that enough of those so I want to choose something else. Haven't found just the right pattern, either.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6290318

my quit date will be next thursday ummm the 26th? I think it's the 26th or whatever Thursday will be :) as far as fabric placement on mine, the 4 patches in the corners sort of make an x connected to the big square in the center. I'd like to play up that x pattern by having those 4 patches be black and whatever you choose. If you look at the pattern, the squares of the 4 patches in the corners that are red, I'd like to be black and the middle square. I just really like that x for some reason :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6290733

The 26th it is babeegirl. This is just what I need - someone else trying at the same time or should I have said DOING at the same time?
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6290762

Just popping in to say hello and mark the thread. Like Marion, I'm focused on one thing right now - the wedding! Will be back next week with a block pattern and colors.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6290777

Debra - hope you can relax and enjoy the day. All the hard work will come together and everything will be just beautiful. Enjoy your ice cream too!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6291061

I must be finding myself on the wrong threads, omg another project i could have participated in..Janice, remind me the next time it comes up would you...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6291441

Can I make a request. If we are taking "specifics" can the 1st entry be updated with that info?
And I think getting too specific takes some of the "fun" out of the idea of swapping. I think part of the fun is to be surprised.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6291769

I agree on both counts. I think part of the fun is see what creative ideas and fabrics people use on the swap.

Just out of curiousity, on your block when you were saying the blue with stars, did you just want blue there or actually the blue fabric with the stars?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6292557

Betty, I'm sorry you wanted to participate and didn't find out in time, if you REALLY want in, just tell the hostess to keep your name as alternate in case someone drops out,. In a 12 month swap, that sometimes happens. The good news is if you post on these threads and follow them, THIS is where we normally post the next swap. I think it's this swap (or was it the Black & White?) that was already making small talk about a Batik swap!!! Just read along Betty, you'll hear of another swap before long!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6292822

Well, ladies, I have added Betty to our swap. This means that each of you gets to rest on the month you are to receive your block and still get 12 blocks! As busy as we all are it might be nice to have a free month. (Sure..., you'll sign up for another swap, right?)

We are not officially CLOSED to others and officially ready to begin.
First block due end of May...if you can wait that long!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #6293959

Sheila, I'm trying for a patriotic look. When I looked at fabrics when I was on a shop hop, all of them had blue fabric with cream stars. I didn't see one blue with white stars. I'm just trying to make it easy for people to find fabrics. My DH loves flags so I thought this would be a good way to make something special for him. Barb
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6294045

Barb...Just for the sake of argument...(not that I am actually trying to start one), if some one couldn't find that fabric, would just a dark blue be okay.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6294091

Of course, variety is good. I hope I didn't sound like I was getting really picky. My DH has fully supported me with these swaps and I thought it would be a great way to let him know how much I appreciate him. He just loves flags and that was the look I was going for. Any and all blocks will be warmly welcomed and used in his quilt. Thanks, Barb
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6294155

Cool. Thanks.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6294214

Hey Janice, since I and or we don't know everyones names yet, and some don't have it added under thier dg name, could you post the names at the top by the dg names, so we know who everyone is please!

Babeegirl - True red, true yellow, black & white.
On The Oregon Trail

Are you asking for a combination of black and white to go with the red and yellow, or all four colors seperate?

Thanks
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6294301

whatever choices will be fine whether it's altogether or seperate. I just really like all those colors combined. I'm not really fond of solid colors, never have been and I don't know why:) I see lots of quilts with solids and they look wonderful. Especially Amish quilts, those are true beauties but I just can't ever get mine to look that good so I stick with prints.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6294327

Gotcha...
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6294372

Linda Kay if you will look at the very first post above you will find a lilst of participants with their DG and real names.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6294448

Thanks!

Linda Kay
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6294537

OK, ladies, things seem to get getting a little complicated and I need to do a little housekeeping.

1. GO BACK UP TO THE TOP AND READ THE DIRECTIONS...
CAREFULLY.
While this swap gives the lady of the month the opportunity to choose a pattern and her colors it is still an opportunity to be creative. I tried 5 different combinations of the same fabric/same pattern before I finally made my Think Spring block. These are NOT made to order blocks.

2. On April 1st I will open a thread JUST for the May, 2009, Block. That thread will be for you to ask questions of the lady of the month in terms of her color choices and pattern. If you are having problems with THAT months pattern block we can discuss that and help one another. The lady of the month can show the blocks when she receives them and also post the finished product when she has it done. THAT THREAD WILL BE FOR THAT MONTH ONLY!
Each month I will post a seperate thread for that month's block and any discussion concerning it.

3. If you are having trouble with a future month's block, let me know and I will consider opening that thread early (but not TOO early).

4. This swap is a marathan, ladies, not a sprint. You have 12 months to talk, work on, share notes and generally have fun with these blocks. Don't think you need to make them all, or even the first four, in the first month! I think we have some unusual and creative blocks and, like fine wine, we need to savory the feeling. Some of these blocks will stretch you and even tax your patience but take the time to enjoy every minute.

I think we have a great bunch of ladies in this swap and I hope to get to know you all better over time. I will leave this thread open so that we can just chit chat about our work in general and share our quilting highs and lows. Happy Quilting!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6294626

Lucky 13 - And I like not having to make a block for myself!!!! I never seem to get mine made.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6295269

Happy Spring everyone. and I'm glad about the 13 too. If I've been making things difficult, I apologize. I just get so carried away with fabric sometimes. Sorry. I like the idea of monthly threads too.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6295567

Barb... don't apologize!!! If I can't find the fabric, you'll definitely get some mullah from me to send me enough!! Lol!!
BTW, I'm a proud RWB gal;)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6296439

I will give the paper piecing a try, again, but I have never been able to do one that I like how it comes out in the end...soooo...qwilter you best be prepared to give me directions, if I cant figure it out...thanks for the offer...

quilter5, barb, I did the last 12 month swap block for my DH, he was very surprised, and very very happy, when I finally let him in on it. ;-}

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6296653

Thunder it's that little half smile/grin when they realize it's for them --- I love it when I can make that happen.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6297236

Thunder you're not alone. Foundation and paper piecing, I'm not too keen on. Qwilter, I'm next in line for those templates.

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6298788

And I may be right behind. Gonna try with paper but we will see.

I was making the Glutton block which has 4 triangles and finally READ the quilterscache speed piecing trick for stacking, marking and sewing triangles. I love it and it was so easy and made the triangle just perfect. I feel so dumb that it took me this long to pick up on this go little trick. Maybe paper piecing (they do give you directions to practice) will work the same way and turn out to be not a difficult as I imagine.

While I have my pattern for all my other swaps I just can't find the right one for this one. Nothing jumps out at me and say's "Do me!"
I love the ones you have all picked and am actually using the one that Linda K picked for something else. I want this one to be special.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6298797

Now see, I am having the same problem picking a pattern. Think I have narrowed it down though.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6298871

If we wait too long, you all may make me change my mind!!! LOL

LK

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6298996

Hope not LK... I love yours!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6299046

Nope, I will keep it, there are just so many pretty ones out there! I will stick to the red white and blue, but please feel free to use any fabrics you have, I think even Batiks would be pretty!

LK

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6299072

Will do yours in Batiks then.. ^_^

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6299522

Cool!
Thanks

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 21, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6300575

I thought this web site would be helpful to all the paperpiecing newcomers. I t really is fun once you try it. The block I chose only has three pieces it really won't scare you I promise. Enjoy

How to Foundation Piece a Quilt Block (with pictures) - wikiHow

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6300599

What is the website please?

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 21, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6301105

Hey Linda try it with this I am not sure if it will bring you directly you might have to use google
http://www.wikihow.com/Foundation-Piece-a-Quilt-block

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 21, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6301108

yup it does bring you right to it

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 21, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6301139

Just click on # 1. How to foundation piece a quilt block and it shows pictures

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6301146

Cherific great site with good instructions. Do you use an "Add-a-Quarter" ruler when trimming your seams to 1/4 inch? I love mine. It makes it so easy. Barb

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 22, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6301189

Hi Barb no I wanted to get one though I think I will now I saw them use that on Fons and Porter

Speaking of Fons and Porter does anyone here subscribe to QNNTV? They have all kinds of quilting video's on there and Fons and Porter series as well. You buy a years subscription not much and you can watch whenever you want 24/7
Well worth it lots to learn. Cheryl
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6316800

OK, Linda K, red, white and blue and it doesn't have to be patriotic. This is one of the few color combinations that almost always get the same shades of color from people. I am still trying to figure out how I want the colors to work in your block. There are so many variations. Isn't that fun?

Saw some great black and red batik that I might use for Sheila's block. I am dying to try batiks!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6317205

Sure is easy to get hooked on paper piecing..love it..

Looking forward to this quilt block exchange...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6317219

So glad you are with us Betty... Have you picked your block and colors yet? I know I'm anxious - you have plenty of time...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6317469

Okay, ladies, friends, fellow quilters I posted on the other "interest" thread I would like to have everyone use their scraps for my quilt if no one has any problems with that. I have a definite pattern in mind and need to know how everyone feels before I officially post. I will want a white or white on white background but other than that clean out your scraps. Any one mind if I request this?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6317485

I have no problem with that Marion, go for it.

LK

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 25, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6317646

nope me either sounds good
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6317926

You got it Marion! I think we will all be grateful to you for helping us get rid of some of our scraps. While I did send some to Thunder for her 1.5 squares (yep, she is really crazy) I always have left. I am anxious to see the pattern and this should be another fun block!

By April of next year we should have SO many more scraps. Just keep those quilt block swaps comin'.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 1:32 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6317970

Oh goody! Then I will get the site of my quilt block posted very soon. I am truly looking forward to this as I want a scrappy quilt--now is my change to get a huge headstart!!! So ladies, clean out your bags, boxes, shelves, or whatever.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6318035

It's more like ROOMS Marion!!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6318309

Barb, you said the magic word!!! ROOMS!
Me too Marion, am thinking of a scrap quilt. More like a color sampler quilt than a block sampler. Got mine chosen!
Go for it Marion, I'm right behind you!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6318337

Help me understand what you mean Jayne. Color sampler quilt? You cut squares out of a certain color scheme and size and just sew them together? Or am I guessing wrong! Inquiring minds WANT more input! More addictive material... More .. more ... more!!! hehehe

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6318504

Oh my, I forgot about Pat and the *P* !!!
Just this one pattern that I like for you all to do with scraps, preferably checks or stripes which I don't have much of, in all colors except PINK!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6318553

I've got lots of stripes and checks!!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6318644

He he he.. then you could easily do 2 Barb!!

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6318804

Pink? Is that a color or a state of mind?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6318901

Gladly do two for you!!! I rhymed!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6318975

Pink is an ATTITUDE!!! hehehe and frankly I'm more of a FUSHIA pink kinda gal, not delicate or soft pink!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6319016

Boy do I have a fabric for You!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6319029

My DIL doesn't like pink either and guess what huge boo boo I did before I knew it!! They asked for a wedding ring quilt--yeap you are ahead of me--it was a small accent color but enough I got before the wedding no less: I don't like pink. Want to guess where the quilt sections are?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6319086

are they being packed to send to Pat?????
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6319125

Nope, actually I don't where they are since I moved but they might end up at Pats when I find them.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 5:31 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6319133

I have to redo the site it didn't work correctly.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6319582

Well Pat can say that I'm very generous with my *P* fabric---- I sent it to her after I'm through with it!!!!

This is the pattern I've chosen.. the endless possibilities with checks and stripes.. Anything but *P*
Polka dots are okay too.

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ScrapbaggerBlock.html

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6319628

Yep, and I snatched it up most gratefully! I use a lot of "P".

I have never been very found or "orange" and unless its combined with blue and white, not fond of red either! HOWEVER... the blocks I made for the Glutton swap are yellow, red and orange and I love them! Goes to show, it is possible to change ...

Until then, I will HAPPILY take all your "P"!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6319651

Pat, I'll certainly think about you when a kind soul thinks I need *P* in my stash!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6319714

OH goody!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6319826

OMG am I in major trouble..Helen my girlfriend had her DH drop off 3 boxes of books..I thought 2 were decorative painting and 1 quilting but as I go through them, nope, 1 1/2 of each..not just magazines but books..just took out Sweet and Simple Country quilts by Jenni dobson, to die for Australian Patchwork Desgins by Margaret Rolfe. Scrap Crafts by McCall's...not sure how long I can stay awake browsing through all these books but know what I'll be doing this weekend..lol

hit paydirt here for sure...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6319847

Wooweeeeeeeee Betty.. for sure you'll be up tonight!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6319888

Like my husband would say "You won the lottery and didn't even buy a ticket!" THATis a wonderful score!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6320245

Okay ladies, clean out your scraps! I would like to request white on white background please.

http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RomanStripeBlock.html

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6320279

White on white?? You're sure?
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6320325

I have never done a scrap quilt so this should be fun. Just to see the block and then all the others to go with it. Will be interesting to see how our ladies put these scraps together.

WE HAVE SOME WONDERFUL BLOCKS, LADIES!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6320338

Yep, LK. Sometimes the most simplest pattern using only scraps can turn out the most 'beautimous'. I adore your choice too Maid M.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6320341

Marion, that will be so nice, will that have a border in some color?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6320360

Thank you so much for that special notation for my choice Janice!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6320396

Am I sure? As sure as I ever am about anything. I am open to suggestions/

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6320413

Good!! Just want to make sure. White on white it will be.. so simple!! Thanks Maid M ;)
Gonna be a play of light and dark then, so clever of you!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6320437

yeap that is sorta what I had in mind. The room I want to use it in is denim blue and has stark white and chocolate accents. There is another hint ladies, some chocolate colors (candy too) can be included. Shucks any scraps I don't care --it will be for a brass bed. I would to say an antique but alas it is just Sears best! LOL Actually it is my daughters frame set.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6321276

WOW, sounds stunning!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #6321284

After looking at the instructions, I think I'd sew ANOTHER white strip on the "otherside" of the scrap strip so you could alterate cutting blocks. That seems to me like it would less wasteful of the fabric. You would have to pick out the very tip of the square then to use it. (Since it would be seamed into the alternate block. I'm probably not stating it very well and if I could draw it then it would be easily understood.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6321617

It looks to me like we are going to have a lot of red, white and blue scraps since most of the first 5 months are using those colors. How clever of you all to let us buy those colors in bulk and see what different pattern and combinations look like. Not that any of us need any incouragement to buy fabric in bulk. LOL

I best make up my mind what pattern and colors I want to use. Sometime I see a pattern and it just jumps out and says, "make me!", other times you all give me your colors and the block just seems right with them, but this time I don't know what kind of quilt I want to end up with. I already have my black and white well on it's way, so don't need anymore of those. Must put on my thinking cap.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6321844

Beautiful design Marion..OMG those books are to die for...I'm sure that if you were looking for a specific pattern, they'd be amongst the books I received..more than a box, a box and a half...should have been sleeping last night rather than browsing...must take some photo's to show you...

Just soooo exciting.aren't friends the best..well sometimes...seems whenever someone doesn't want something they all think of Betty..at times that's great (as is this) others, well my crafts room is getting mighty fulll...need more shelving..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6321898

Thanks for you comments on my block choice. Pat, this is scary, but yes I did understand what you were saying. Is it some secret language only quilters understand? LOL

I don't care if the red, white and blues or used or just dig in their scrap "whatevers". Just scrappy!!

Betty, I would have been doing the same thing with those books. Fantabulous (my word) box of goodies. I have great difficulty disposing of my quilting magazines when I am through by putting in recycle. That is why I recycle here with those who would like to have them and pass on or out--I just can't do the out thing.

Looks like it will be a day for sewing as the we are under a severe weather warning and flood warning. Hummm, wondering, how can we be under flood watch when no rain has come?
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2009

Post #6322113

Hope you don't get any flooding, Marion. Enjoy your day sewing! I'm watching the weather in FL, too, as my DD and her new DH are honeymooning in Orlando.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009

Post #6322116

I work for a bottling company and when the drivers shirts are ready to be retired/replaced, the admin that handles the shirts cuts the logo off and gives me the shirts. Most are in perfect condition and they are the nicest quality blue check plaid cotton. I plan on using some of them to make a raffle quilt in the blue plaid, red, and white to raise funds this next Christmas for the adopt-a-family program our company sponsors. Last year we didn't have a lot of donations. Maybe raffling the quilt will bring in more funds so that we can buy the family more needed items.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6322140

No rain yet Debra but dark overcast with a weird yellowish color. I am sure they are coming unless the front manages to swing north again and miss us. I hope not as we are really starting to need the rain.

Babeegirl, what a wonderful idea and definitely great recycling.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6322226

Great project babeegirl. I'm sure you will bring lots and lots of funds.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6322276

And did I appreciate being the recipient of some of those quilt mags that Marion wanted to get rid of. Stacey even loved them and found a wonderful quilt pattern for her first real quilt (although she now has three patterns vieing for 1st). they are getting a workout now that basketball had dominated TV.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6322698

It's great to see Stacey's interest growing. She'll be q uilter yet!!!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6322731

Betty said she did great at her house with her machine. I am going down this weekend and taking MY machine. She will see the difference between a Janome Memory with bells and whistles and my old Kenmore mechanical. She may not want mine when I get a new one!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6322788

Of course she will.. we all have to start somewhere!!! My first was only six years ago and that was a $99 Kenmore on sale for $69.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6322824

Janice, I still have my old Kenmore mechanical. Bought that in 1984 and it was made by Elna. Now Janome owns Elna. Once in a while, I test the cams..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6322897

I still have my Elna I got in 1973--love it to death but needs a tune up right now.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6322918

Imagine that Maid M!!! When I returned to Singapore in '86, I bought another Elna. Those old Elnas were Swiss made then I think.
None of my sisters sew, so I'm sure that Elna froze.
Mum had a Viking.. made my Elna looks like a 'Mini Minor' next to her 'Jaguar'!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6322952

ROFLOL I have a new Bernina but it is my house machine--Elna has case, will travel. Having some trouble finding someone to do a much needed tune up--I can do a lots but there comes a time it needs a pro--well someone other than me.

I hae had several dealers try to buy it from me but it "ain't fer sale".

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6322996

Tune up?? What's that.. oh... follow the diagram where to squirt some oil?? Lolol!!!! You're at least wayyyyyyyyy up there when it comes to your machine!
Thank God the new machines don't have to be oiled, if not I'll be up a creek without a paddle.

Any of you ladies own an old Featherweight? I am thinking of getting one. Found one locally, and she wanted 500 for it.. but it's imported from England and has a high rating.. in other words, almost immaculate. A little tad high..
So.. offer your pros and cons.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6323010

Are you referring to a Singer Featherweight? Don't have one but am familiar with them. My late SIL had one and I adored it--great machine. Not sure if that price is high--depends on age and condition.

My new machine has a light that comes on when it needs to be oiled just like my car. Now that is just to much. I ca keep my machine oiled, cleaned and basically tuned up but every now and then due to the age of the Elna--it needs some one with more training.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6323053

Yep.. that Singer. Think BJ may have one.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6323078

Oh my, a real find!!! I don't really know but the asking price doesn't seem all that high for that machine----please note, I could be badly mistaken about the price. If it worked half as well as my SIL's I'd gladly pay that to have one.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6323132

One yes then! Think I'll call her this weekend.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6323372

I was surprised to find out that my Kenmore was made by Janome. I have looked at a Pffaf, and Babylock but I really like the Janome best. Last time I checked they wanted $800 for it and that is a little more than I wanted to go. It is a 5300 Janome Memory. All the new things like needle up stopping, setting your thread length; little things but oh so helpful when making lots of blocks.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6329440

I have a singer featherweight, they are awesome little machines...price is not bad at all if it is in good shape and runs well...I've seen them sell for that,and they did not run

I do find that I have to "get used to it" when ever I use it, they work a bit differently than other machines, and the foot pedal is different than my other machines, so I have to do some "test driving" before actually sewing...If you can get what I mean??!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6329577

Aw yes... like learning to sew all over again BRIEFLY!! A little relearning time is needed like driving a different car that you ONCE knew. I'm such a creature of habit that I am still pulling out MY key to MY car inspite of I've been driving the "other car" for 3 weeks now while I wait for my husband to have time to fix my car.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6329607

yup yup exactly, like from a big truck to a little car, or stick to auto...you got to stop and think a minute...I am forever trying to step on the clutch, and reach for the stick when I get in the car I rarely drive ;-}

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6330624

The manual for my Janome says no need to oil, however, recently took it for cleaning and John who services Janome's and other brands of machines showed me 3 machines in his workshop that were seized..said it's a 'MUST'..so I'll not go by my manual, worth having it done in it's yearly servicing..

Sitting here waiting for the stores to open, big sale at Fabricland (your Joanne's) and then another fabric store going out of business, might get bargoons there and an elite sewing boutique .. NOT picking up mega materials..my purpose is to look for May's colors and a yard of fabric for Stacey who wants to do placemats and didn't purchase the material while here...

Will make an extra block to frame for the same room the quilt top will be displayed...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6330741

Would have to live another 10 lives to do some of these breathtaking quilts..

Now that Helen gave me all of these books, what do I do with them...lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6330744

Forgot the photo didn't I???

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6331080

Betty, what is the pattern for that block you show displayed? I love it and would like to use it somewhere. Let me know what and where you found it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6332653

I am not positive but the block Betty posted resembles very closely the "folded star" that was so popular years ago. It is more of a folding and tacking technique--I have my books still but not sure what box they are in at the moment.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6332714

If that's a Donna Poster's foldy method, you think Maid M.? No matter, it's a beautiful block.
I got one of the foldy patterns for pineapples somewhere! Never use it.. think it was in the 80's?

Thanks for your input, Thunder.
Well... it seems the lady changes her mind on the Featherweight. Blessing in disguise anyway, cause that means extra money for BJ.

Beautiful block pattern Debra.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6332737

I don't think it was Donna Poster. I have only know it as "Folded Star" and there were tons of books with ideas what to do with them. I think mine are from the late 70's. I saved them as it is a nice method to do for throw pillows etc but the problem is: where are they? Only they know for sure. I have some of the Donna Poster instructions for several of her folded blocks. Humm, guess I need to go box digging again.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6332860

Maid M.. please don't tell me you have that "I know I put it somewhere" disease!! It's so infectious, I have it too!! Lol!!
I lost too many with all the moves I made. Oh well...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6332876

Oh my yes, I do have it. It is still packed away from my move in one of the boxes labeled craft/quilt books. Being I don't have the bookcases in yet, I haven't bothered to open the boxes. Do pat them every now and then so they know I love them. Does that count?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6332884

Always------

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6332888

Yep, yep, yep.. even sending telepathic messages work.. I just tell those I haven't 'visit' in ages... one day, we'll have a cutting party!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6332918

http://quiltwithdonna.com/
Is this what you all are talking about?
This sounds really interesting!
LK

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6332960

That's her LK! I saw her at the Houston International Quilt Festival, I think it's in '84. She had a booth and boy, could talk your ear off!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6333567

Well, if either of you find your patterns, you will have to share them please?

LK

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6334624

With me too Please!!! Sounds really differnt and I'd like to try it.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6335164

Check out Donna Poster's website (sorry don't know address) sometimes there are free downloads that are nice. I will see if I can locate my "Folded Star" books and I will certainly let you know when I do. Hummm, maybe my project for the day?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6335302

There are free projects, but you have to buy the patterns to do them?
LK

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 10:24 AM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6335311

I don't think so Linda Kay. I will double check where I am thinking.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6337898

Yah, you got to purchase the packets of iron-on transfer sheets, for the pattern you want.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2009
10:40 AM

Post #6339084

I have the 'church window' it's done in plastic templates...
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6341296

This folding techniques looks really interesting. I saw some small pins that I now know were done with this technique. They were so neat and I thought they were difficult but I think it would be fun to try.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6344248

My DIL took me to a new quilting shop and I found wonderful stuff for the first three blocks. They had some great red, white & blues and I found just the best red, white and black fabric to use for Sheila.

I went down to her house to take my sewing machine. She had cut out three rag quilts that she wanted to put together and she doesn't have a machine. Stacey spent last weekend with Betty learning how to do a rag quilt and made a little one; now she had the three others to finish. We got all three done before I came back home and I am amazed at how quickly she picked up working the machine and putting the lbocks together. Between my quilting and seeing the blocks you all have done in the past we hooked another one!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6344388

Hope you can get a new machine soon -- that would really 'enable" her!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6344472

Maybe we should just call ourselves "The Enablers"?
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6344499

Well, I finally made up my mind! Part of the problem was in deciding what colors I wanted. As I have said before, I never met a color I didn't like, so it was deciding were this quilt would go so I knew what colors to use.
Then, I decided I wanted some of those yummy batiks I see so often, so I had to find a pattern that would work with them.

This pattern has only two colors, so you should be able to use fat quarters. I hope some of you wont have trouble finding the batiks, I know your shopping places can be limited. Multi-colored combinations are encouraged, especially anything from the purple or lavender family, as are watercolors.

http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NorthWindBlock.html

Can't wait to see what you all can come up with...is it October yet?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6344505

Nice block Janice!!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6344526

I'm sort of learning toward a Janome Memory Craft, but there are so many different kinds! I tried one and liked it; since my old Kenmore was made by Janome I am familiar with many of it's features.

I am thinking...about maybe seeing if I can get an embrodiery feature? I have seen some of the things that have been done and like them. Don't know how much I would use that feature, nor do I know how much getting that would cost but it could be fun.

What do you think, ladies? I want to stay under $1000.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6344541

Having a Janome Janice and seeing as you are knowledgeable with similar features..go for it..no waiting, off you go...you'll love it..

I at one time did a lot of embroidery, rarely use it now, but, if I need it it's there..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6344557

In total agreement with Betty. Just go do it! I know you know your budget much better than I do but I don't think you will never regret the purchase--you get to much enjoyment from sewing and quilting. It is time to humor yourself!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6344597

Ladies, fellow sewers of the world, shun the nasty label "Enablers"!!! NO - we are
"pro-social activities directors!" Everyday that I work with drug & alcohol dependent clients I ask them, "OK, you've given up drugs and alcohol, but what PROSOCIAL activity have you ADDED??? The universe abhors a vacuum!"

So every person that we encourage to pick up the healthy hobby of sewing, quilting, gardening and other crafts, is another person that some less healthy pass time will snare. SEE?? We are doing GOOD things!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6344607

Besides, they'll have to give up their vices to be able to afford the quilting!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6344721

Hadn't thought about it that way! I like that so much better!!!!!!! I, for one, would be lost without my sewing, crafts, gardening and quilting--better than any medicine I can think of.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6344725

And what a Natural High!!!!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6344763

AMEN!!!

Janice have you bought that new machine yet?

LK
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6344823

I have a janome 4800 and I love it. it's never failed me even though I haul it around, run over pins and break needles, stuff like that. It's 8yrs old and never had to go into the shop to get a fix up.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6344968

Oh, Pat, I like your description better, too. Somehow I don't like the word addiction, either, although when I see how I am at fabric stores that really IS the right word. We need to come up with some positive names for our quilting. At least when I sew I feel good, have something to show when done and know where my $ goes.

Now...anybody want to make some Easter baskets? The days are getting short and I still have to work (for pay) 3 days a week. Don't get much sewing done in the evening those days as I am usually beat! I haven't even been to a movie in over a month and I used to go every weekend.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6345278

Do you have pics of these Easter baskets?

I agree, I like Pat's description. I know when it comes to sewing and gardening, people are always a little shocked that I enjoy them. I just tell them that it is healthy for me (and them) to do those things because that is what keeps me from losing it. Just therapy (and about the only activity that I ever get to do by myself).

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6345290

Don't you find that we all need some "by myself" time? Sewing does that for me too.
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6345312

Well, the beauty is that no one attempts to have a conversation with me when I am sewing. Little hard to talk over the sewing machine. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-social, but with 3 kids, it is nice to have some time where no one can talk to you! LOL!

As for gardening, well, that isn't totally by myself time. Usually the 2 year old is "helping". Must be in the blood. There are 5 of us and he and I are the only ones that think digging in the dirt is cool. I am training him to take over for me when I am old! LOL. We are still working on distinguishing between a weed and a plant, but we are getting there. He even has his own "goves and chovel" and he's not afraid to use them!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6345372

Oh Janice.. go for it!!! Since you're familiar with the machine, I won't think of any other brand, unless you're into collecting!
I like your pattern too. My biggest enabler has mercifully increase my meager batik stash.. so no problem there.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6345455

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1238518729/ref=sr_nr_seeall_2?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=janome&rh=i%3Agarden

Janice, look on amazon.com. They have several to choose from!

LK

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6345833

Enjoyed the description as well..

When I first moved north, everyone thought I'd not survive the quiet, living on the water, miles from everyone, wrong..

Dh couldn't understand how a person could go for mail and not come home for 4 hrs...everyone standing talking at the post office re crafts..

He'd shake his head at the time I'd spend crafting while he worked away from home..told him there were only a few choices in town...the craft group-ceramics/sewing/painting or the 2nd group, hotel/motel type activities..his choice..

Didn't take long (God rest his soul) to pick the craft group..always encouraging..lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6345844

NOT sure I understand EXACTLY what ya mean by the hotel/motel type activities... is that kinda like the song that says "low rent rondevue" ? yikes!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6346980

shuggins I sure wish I had my own "goves and chovel" too... I can hear him saying that in my mind just as clearly as if I were there. What is it about small children learning anything that just makes me smile??

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6347178

Forgot this picture. When my oldest DGS was two, he was my farmer too.. He's 13 now.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6347210

quilter5bdsr...He is sincerely interested even though he doesn't know what he is interested in. He helped me spread mulch one day and did a decent job, but his hands are pretty small. Today I was watering and he was over discussing it with me. I think he really will enjoy when he is a little older. I traded and got some sunflower seeds. he loves flowers, so I bet he is really going to like those. I will get a picture of him out in his gardening garb...

Anyway...sorry for hijacking the thread.

We now return to our sewing already in progress.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6347413

Oh ya... I gotta get me some of them overalls for my DGS!!! He's only 13.5 months but we'll be working in the garden together this summer we hope in a new home for his Dad, Grandpa & me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6349430

shuggs, quilter, I "heard" it too...brought back some memories ;-}

at this phase of my children's lives, you'd think I was trying to pull out a tooth !!, when I ask for help with something in the yard, so that has most definitely become my alone time.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6363276

Moving us over, ladies, we're getting big here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971200/

Come see my Easter baskets!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America