Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Help with Darley Dale Heather

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KathleenAG
Hudson, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6285019

I'm in 5b and planted this Pink Heather last spring. I was able to get my first close look today since all of our snow has melted. It appears to be dried and dead with very little green at the base. Anyone with Heather experience have advise?
valrita

March 20, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6295636

I haven't grown it but I hope that someone with experience with it will answer.

I think I looked into it once and decided not to try it because the kind I was looking at liked acidic sandy soil. I have alkaline, clay soil. I don't have much luck with acid loving plants or plants that need excellent drainage. Your soil could be much different than mine though.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6296287

I like heather a lot, and have bought them two different times for two different locations, and both times they just died on me. So I just admire them now and do not try to grow them. Just my experience.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6302907

I am with Esther...(hi Esther!!) I think they are only marginally hardy here. They never live for me either.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6303370

Same here. I have tried heath and heather with no luck. I think I had Erica live 2 years once, that was it.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6312257

Lowes had some pink heather for sale yesterday, and I read the tag on it...It said it was hardy to Zone 8... so why are they selling it in Zone 5 unless it is expected to be treated as an annual??? I have some heather seed I was going to plant, but apparently if I want it, it needs to be treated as an annual rather than a perennial...I have a friend in Scotland that gets far worse winters than we do, and the heather grows wild there...
I wonder if when they come over here to visit in August if she could bring some seeds from the Scottish Heather, and see if it would grow here...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6316564

I kinda think our issue with Heather has more to do with our heat and humidity in summer. I've gotten a few through the winter, but they dwindle with the onset of summer. Guess we just need to plan a trip to the British aisles, LOL.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America