AuthorContent
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6287081

http://www.saveantibiotics.org/newsroom/pr_17march2009.html

Congresswoman Louise Slaughter (D-NY), who in another life was a microbiologist, has introduced a bill to ban the use of seven classes of antibiotics in the production of food animals except for therapeutic use.

There has not been a new antibiotic since 2003 and the widespread use of these products is setting us up for serious resistance to those that are available. The scientific community is well aware that these substances permeate our food and water.

This has been proposed before but always gets defeated. I think most of us on this forum can agree that this is another bill that needs our attention.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6296886

Let's hope that PAMPTA passes.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6299054

I have the radio on and a few minutes ago the New Orleans station WWL said that the Russians are refusing more chicken from the Sanderson Farms in Hammond, LA because they found drug residues.

Russia has been a big customer for chicken producers in the Southeast since the end of the cold war. Sanderson Farms is one of the largest producers in the US and is often found in the grocery stores. There are thousands of jobs on the line. Right here at the Port of Pascagoula, MS, there are lots of jobs involved in loading out a steady stream of ships taking MS. chicken to Russia.

There has been a lot of news in recent years about various countries refusing/banning our meat and other agricultural products due to one problem or another related to concern for their public health. Why is it good enough for us and not the rest of the world? It seems that PAMPTA is waaaay past due.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6300149

And instead of rethinking the use of OGM products and hormones and antibiotics in foods, the US is upping the tariffs on Rocquefort cheese to teach those Frenchies a lesson. What's wrong with this picture?
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6301955

There so much wrong with this picture that it's painful to think about.
We all need to pick up our phones and pens and let our representatives know that we want clean, quality food, raised without antibiotics and hormones - not just knee jerk reactions to the latest contamination incident. Antibiotics are supposed to be a last resort to help an acute infectious illness, not a routine supplement.
I want my plant crops raised in such a way that the growers and harvesters can walk through the field at any time without risk of chemical poisoning and I can eat the food without ingesting chemicals - and I don't mean "allowable" limits of chemicals either.
If enough people speak out, things will change.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America