Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rtl850nomore
Glendale/Parks, AZ

March 19, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6291450

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/03/michele-obama-first-locavore-oprah-white-house-garden.php
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6292343

At last! She's already a great role model and promoting gardening can have enormous impact. I hope the media really runs with this story and revisits it as the season progresses. I know a lot of people sent emails asking for this and evidently they got the message. Yay!

I just talked to the lady at my local seed and feed store and she said she has been in business for 22 years and has never had such a good year before. She said she ran out of seed potatoes almost 2 weeks ago when they normally last into April and she has to worry about them going bad. She said she's checked 3 suppliers and They're all sold out too. She said people are buying seeds and plants like crazy.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6298983

Yes, it's great news... a vegetable garden (and organic at that!) on the White House lawn after more than 50 years. I wrote a story about it so more folks would get the news. What a great example she is making! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2367/

I tried to order more fruit bushes about 3 weeks ago and most of what I wanted was already sold out, at least by the more reputable dealers. And thankfully, I bought heirloom seed last fall, except for tomatoes.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6396430

Got an email today regarding a public letter written by the Mid America CropLife Association (MACA) to Michelle Obama about her garden. MACA represents chemical pesticide companies.

Headline from the public letter:
"Bonnie McCarvel, executive director of the Mid-America CropLife Association and Janet Braun, CropLife Ambassador coordinator, wrote First Lady MIchelle Obama a letter, encouraging her to consider using crop protection products and to recognize the importance of agriculture to the entire U.S. economy."

Other information is:
In an email they forwarded to their supporters, a MACA spokesman wrote, "While a garden is a great idea, the thought of it being organic made [us] shudder." MACA went on to publish a letter it had sent to the First Lady asking her to consider using chemicals -- or what they call "crop protection products" -- in her garden.

Link to MACA letter:
http://www.croplife.com/news/?storyid=1657&style=1

Note the image CropLife advertises their expertise with:
http://img1.cdn.adjuggler.com/banners/Client506496/1231429670496_WeKNowAg_MedRect_300x250.jpg

twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6396460

I haven't got time to look at those links right now but I am laughing.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6396493

Hopefully Michelle Obama is laughing too. I wouldn't want her job of fending off all the "interests" that want her to represent their aganda.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America