Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6294825

I lined it with a nice floral polished cotton.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6294831

Here is a close up of the handle

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6296228

That is just beautiful! I LOVE everything about it. The shells are so neat - do they have holes in them? How did you attach them? Please tell me if you made this pattern up yourself. I'm not a great crocheter but you are tempting me.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6298149

No, I got the pattern off of lion brand yarns website. It is listed in there free crochet patterns. They even have my picture of the one I did. Just go to
lionbrand.com and look under there free crochet patterns. You will see the instructions there. Oh yea, the cowrie shells do have an opening in the back where I sewed them on. I order the handles through one of the big craft and sewing online shops. For the life of me I can't remember the name. It is a womans name and I think it starts with a J. OMG I am losing it. Heheh
Its something Hancock. Help.
Anyhow where ever you get your sewing supplies should have handles or you can make them like the ones they show on the instructions.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6298816

I will have to check the lion brand patterns . I usually only look at knitting. Your bag deserves to be on their site - it is just beautiful. Was it Joann's?

The knitting magazine we publish has a knitted felted bag with a beaded handle. I like your handle better. The designer used the top of a pair of jeans as the inside of her bag. So the pockets of the jeans are the pockets of the bag. This bag was huge. I want to try to do the same thing on a smaller scale - maybe with toddler's jeans.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6298927

Yep, thanks. Don't you just hate it when you get those blocks and no mater how hard you try its just not there.
Yep it was Joanns. They have some really nice handles and I bought two others that look like tortoise shell but this went well with the color of yarn. It says its easy but I had some difficulty if following the pattern. It may have just been that I was trying to make it more difficult then it really was. I really liked it but my daughter didn't. Does it look like a grandmother purse to you? I didn't think so but then what do I know. I'm a grandma 14 times. Heheh
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6300157

No I don't think it looks like a grandmother purse. Maybe your daughter doesn't like the colors. I think it is very stylish. Great job!

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6311855

I think it is great. I love it! The shells really set it off. I think it is really stylish. I bet you get a lot of compliments on it.

Had to laugh about the daughter comment. DD was here (she lives out of state) with her fiance and we were making cookies. We made some choc covered cherry cookies that I found the recipe here on DG. Well, the fiance said "can you make cookies that aren't grandma cookies?" So it is not just purses I guess.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6313289

Yea, your right. Wait till they are grandmas and hear what their children have to say. You always wish for the past to come back. There are old recipes and tv programs and so much of the good life that really makes me wish for the past.
Thank you for the compliment. I haven't taken it out side yet. I was planning on sending it to my MIL but she hasn't comented on the email I sent so I may just keep it. I like it too.
Thanks
Jan
Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6543073

The shells are such a clever addition. Love it!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6543946

Well, I ended up sending it to my DMIL and she loves it, but then she is a grandma too. Heheh
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 13, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6544411

That's really pretty, Gourdbeader. The shells are perfect.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6544850

hart, the movie Shanandoah with Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite movies. Is is as beautiful as I imagine it is?
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 13, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6545044

It certainly looks nothing like the landscape in the movie, which was obviously filmed somewhere far west of here. LOL Not to mention there aren't many places here where you don't have blue mountains (like the Blue Ridge or Alleghenies) in the background.

Yes, it's very beautiful. Here's a photo I took last year looking down my road. The mountain in the background is the Massanutten.

And here's a photo someone took looking down that mountain to the other side with one of the seven bends of the Shenandoah River and the Alleghanies in the background.
http://www.valleyconservation.org/images/misc/cb-WOODSTOCK-SHEN-RIVER-BEN.jpg

Thumbnail by hart

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6546048

yes it is beautiful. Oregon is alot like that in the greenery dept but it sure does rain alot here. How is VA for the rain.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 14, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6546260

I had friends who moved from Virginia to Oregon years ago and they loved it - said it was really beautiful.

We get less rain here than the rest of the state so probably considerably less than you. We get most of our rain in the spring, then a very dry spell in July-September. Maybe a few thunderstorms in those months but I have to water like crazy to keep everything from drying out in this rocky soil.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 13, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6813474

Just wanted to say that I love the bag and thank you for sharing pictures of both outside and inside.
Lovely size too.
Wallflower_80
West Richland, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6992289

I LOVE this bag! It is so cute. I don't think it looks like a Grandma bag at all.

I am not especially fond of the shells, myself. That is a personally preference, though.

I think it is great and wow would I be proud to say I made it. I am not very good at crocheting, though.

I have made one hat, a few scarves and blankets and some pot scrubbies...you know, pretty easy stuff.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6992887

Well, thank you very much. I tend to agree with you. I would've kept it but my dear mother-in-law really liked it so I sent it to her. I still haven't made another one for me yet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 62 Apr 8, 2014 9:17 AM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America