Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: mY gLORIFIED pOTTING sHED - pART 2

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 155, Views: 563
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6297150

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962373/

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6297190

Im going to have to resume tomorrow. Its been a very long day. Things just did ot go for me as I had planned.

But in our last portion of the thread, Happ was telling us about her maybe making the big leap! So Happ, tell us whats going on and I can catch up with you and my end tomorrow!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6299956

While we are waiting for Happ, I am going to move right along here and catch up on a few things while I pot some things up...

Things did to go as I had hoped yesterday in that I was not able to play in the greenhouse. We have a very old mare at our ranch and whose time is coming to go to rainbow bridge and I have been having to deal with that. Right now she is just having some senior moments in that she has trouble getting up when she lays down but this is not good because a large animal, once it gives up the right to stand is done. They cannot lay for long periods of time. She is not sick, just very old and frail and so my husband and I are going through the ordeal of preperations which has been really hard.. she has been a wonderful companion for nearly 3 decades.

But on a cheery note, I received in the mail some well packed and beautiful Peruvian lily bulbs from chuck7701 and I have nothing but good to say about these bulbs in how they were packed and how they arrived. For once, the post office was kind! His bulbs were packed in some dry peatmoss in a ziploc baggie and boxed and arrived perfect for planting and I got them immediately potted up.

Just look at these beauties!

(NOTE: I want everyone to know that as I get things going here, I will show you them and if something comes in that arrives in less than perfect shape, my intention is not to insult anyone in how it was packaged but is to also discuss those shipping problems so we can all learn from when things go badly in shipping and to improve on means to do better. I for one have shipped plants out and have had a few unsuccessful shippings so things do go wrong not intending them to do so.

And while the post office is a great scapegoat.. they are not always the blame either!)

This message was edited Mar 21, 2009 2:26 PM

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6300117

So, well, ok now, last I left off with beautigirls lovely dafs, I had to set tem off to the side and they actually went back to the refridgerator box and all how she packed them. Time did not allow for me to get to them so here we are were those left off.

Beautigirl packs her bulbs superbly for spring transplanting to me. She takes a damp papertowel and wraps the bulbs only leaving the leaves on the bulbs. We should not cut the leaves on the bulbs transplanted in the spring because the bulbes need the leaves to process them for food value to grow on later. So take a look at that picture below.
I have had these bulbs for a couple of weeks in my fridge as said and they are looking good. After planting now, these dafs are going to die back and so their pots will be showing empty tops until they return growing in the pot sunk in my garden someplace next spring!

I recycle the old nursery cans. I use gallon pots and put about 5 bulbs into each pot, dependign on the mature size of what ever variety.

Bulbs like chuck7701's above, those went 2 in a pot because they were so nice and large.

So off we go...lets get beautigirls daffs finished today!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6300153

her bulbs unwrapped...

I am using garden soild actually from my garden to pot these bulbs with. My soil is quite poor and sand, but the dafs love it here.

So ok, in potting these up, the soil on my potting bench is bone dry to a powder. Not that I like it that way, just that I have not brought hoses out of winter storage to wet it down and the soil was what I loaded here at the end of the season last fall and to which has dried in the greenhouse due to the nice heat the last few days. Today it is 85 degrees in here.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6300181

I take a nice selection of a few bulbs, pot them up and they are done. I am not going to get all hung up about watering these pots now. They are going to go out on my patio, sit in a bucket of water for a few minutes to get the powder dirt on the bottom to quit sifting throught the pot holes and then sit on the benches there and as I get more into my watering routine will start to actually water them later on. For now, they can be very happy sitting in their pots left dry and to let their leaves burn down for their natural feeding.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6300189

There you go, spring transplanting of dafs!

All I need now are pot labels and off they go to the
holdign bench.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6300225

Taking a hike around the garden, some of my bulbs out there are already starting to grow. These are beautygirls bulbs as I raise them in my garden.

The idea is that those nursery cans will one day make it easy for me to find and lift these bulbs again for division and the cans keep the moles and critters from tunneling in to destroy them.

My understanding of the moles and voles is that they are not actaully eating the bulbs, but the tunnels creat air pockets and that is what does the harm to most bulbs as most bulbs are toxic to a critter if it eats them. Least thats what I have been told and seems to be true.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6300581

And the potio!! LOL! Patio of pots! Holding area!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6304183

Ok, we had a question on MILKY SPORE! no it does not harm pets.

It is a powder and when applying it you do not want to in hale it. But once it is applied it is harmless to the rest of the environment,

How iit is applied is by using a cardboard tube. I am going to be putting some down later this week and can run through how its done.

Try going to www.milkyspore.com and see what they have to say about it.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6305639

ok...first bloomer here

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6308106

I know I would love the greenhouse just spending the hard earned money!

I worked on Saturday so no time to play. Sunday I took all my plants in my solar room outside and washed them off. Fighting spider mites on the brugs and elephant ears. Also found out I had a few scale on a standard tropical hibiscus, so I cleaned all that stuff up. Some the pots are huge and very hard to get back in once they have been watered but I did it. Suppose to have severe thunderstorms tonight the rain and snow on the weekend so I couldn't leave any thing outside. Almost all the perenials are up due to the 70 degree weather. Going to have to watch March and April that nothing gets frozen back. Even my oriental lilies are up.

Already saw where deer were munching on my daylilies...darn it. Always had a outside dog but no longer. I may have to get one. They keep the deer away.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6308490

I have never had a problem with deer on dayliles! And beleive me we got deer here. They dont even seem to bother what days I got out in the woods. Guess they like the farmers corn better!

Poor you on the little peskies. Have you tried a little malathion? Ever so often we get white flies on the hose plants. I usually end up dumping them, but a lilttle bug spray works too. Last year we seemed to be a haven for fleas. I hope that cold winter we had took care of that because boy, that sure was a first..

Well, I think if you get the greenhouse, it wil pay for itself if you are an avid gardener and you will find yourself trying things you did not do before. Lot will depend mostly too on the outdoor space you have for any gardening and if you do outdoor plants like annuals too.

I found that it was acheap deal for me to order plug trays on certain annuals than trying to start them by seed. I got more bang for my buck especially in the hard starters like impatiens. I would always lose tones of impatiend tryign to start them myself. Having to heat the GH was costly and thne I discovered sources for plug trays!

Its cold here today. almost feels like it could snow again.

Found a lone scillia? Well least that is what I think that pink thing is!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6308493

And a few dafs...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6324210

Well, today we spent cleaning up some garden beds. Got the potato patch tilled and still need to do the veggie patch. We spread seed on part of the east pasture, spread a little manure, dragged the pasture, got hay in and did some odds and end cleanup and maintenance.

Bloom of the day, my giant crocus.

I did get some more plants in but will have to do them tomorrow.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6328888

Well, today we cleaned of some beds again. Burned some brush and did a little push mowing on the beds to tidy them up.

Tidied up the red honeysuckle and another vine and looks like the honey suckle has some strays to dig.

Pulled some asiatic bulbs out of the garden that were in stray pots which I will have to repot. I think they are orange or yellow. Perhaps both.

The parcels of plants I got in yesterday were bulbs so I put them off to the fridge to do later. We need to bring some potting soil up to pot those.

Got another notice that a parcel of plants has arrived and will have to get them tomorrow.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6334969

Well, it would figure after spening a couple days cleaning off the flower beds we would get this...1/2 inch and some more coming...ugh SNOW!

There goes my lovely dafs in the garden. Hope they do not get hurt too bad. Its not supposed to last, but still, do not need it.. so much for spring in my zone.

Guess I am just gonna pot up some more stuff anyway and do some updating.

DIRTYGIRL71 sent me some glorious plants and so I will work those up!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 29, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6335021

Soz you've got snow again mate!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6335627

We had rain, freezing rain, and then snow. The daffs were just big frozen green things. Today sun is out and daffs don't look too worse for the wear.
Went to the home show, but didn't buy the greenhouse yet. Really didn't like the guy that was selling them. I walked away actually mad. Don't think if I was selling something that cost that much that I would try to annoy the customer. Could and probably will order off the internet now. Usually try to buy close to home, but...not in this case. Flower show was a bust, short of some beautiful orchid plants there wasn't anything to speak of and seeing we had to park 8 blocks away and it was freezing , buying orchids wasn't possible.

terriulture, how is your weather?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 29, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6335696

Hi Happgarden! It's been cold and raining most of the time!
Sorry to hear you had to contend with such a baffoon at the show. What a shame, if only his manner had been pleasant, it might have been a different story!
Good luck with getting your new greenhouse from somewhere else soon!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6336269

Yes, mate terri, we got snow!! UGH!, but horray, it is not lasting. So Hap, if you got freezy stuff, there is hope for my blooms yet!

Something I might suggest on that greenhouse thing Hap is contact the manufacturer. You might get a deal if you inquire to be a sales rep. telling them if you buy, the newbie will be a display model. And infact, perhaps they may even have a display model you might purchase for less. I dont know so much if it might help to tell the manufacturer that your sales guy at the garden show was a jerk, but you could simply tell them you saw one at a local garden show and are inquiring. As for you being a rep, it does not take any sales, just show off the model, pass a few brochures and well, if ya get a sales, whoo-ra!

We were a sales rep when we got ours waaaay back in time there and well, it was no big deal. Was rather fun actually. I beleive now the manufacturer of our model is no longer operating.. he was a small guy, more than likely retired so our breed is not available anymore, but heck, the one you are looking at, its worth a try, who knows how much you could save.. I think we saved like half. But jeez louize! Its still a money maker for us in the plants we have raised.

Well, yesterday I got plants in from DIRTYGIRL71 and they were glorious! Here is her wonderful packing! She even sent pots!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6336404

Ok, I cheated.. I unwrapped DIRTYGIRLS plants in the kitchen in the house, then took them to the GH to pot up!! And brought them back to the kitchen. They are not going outside to the GH yet...

Shall I dare say.. snow snow go away? Your darned tooten!

She send me some lovely pansy (violas), a baby sunrose, some plumbago, a couple of dianthus, blue salvias, peace lilys, the pots and a pack of seed!

The cute lil brown pots she sent I am gonna put herbs in them later. But here the plants are .. all potted up to go under my lights in my livingroom!

If t was not for the fact I am still going below freezing at night here, I would put stuff out in the GH, but I am not wanting to loose anything to frost if I can help it. And I am certainly not starting up any heater our there. That is too expensive. I can buy plugs started cheaper and make more off them then running a heater. My general last frost date here is around the 19th of April so things go in the livingroom or whatever table I have set up for lights for started plants I get or seed I am starting.

Oh, and yesterday, I booted the bucket of aussies outside from the livingroom...they shocked, but will be fine hoping the roots do not freeze in the bucket as that is all I care about on them for now, what leaves they forced will drop anyway and they will sport newbies once planted.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6339544

Well, the sun is up and it looks like the daffs will be ok here from the snow. They are a wee tad nipped but should make a full recovery. No pickings today. The buds are too tight.

I think I will pot up some lily bulbs today. We had an area of the garden that I had cleaned up a few dayas ago and those need to be re-potted and I also got an order in the fridge that I received from AG_EDDIE who sent me some lovely stargazers and a couple other oriental bulbs!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6341880

Well, here I am again.. potting up! AG_EDDIE sent me a glorious parcel full of stargazer bulbs, Mothers Choice oriental lilies, and some Oriental lilies called Robina.

I need to first lear my potting bench of some bulbs I removed from our garden. I am not sure what they are, but they are either orange lilies or yellow. Seems to me they were in a mixed patched there so I probably ought to pot them up individually so when they bloom I can seperate the colors and get them back in the garden in proper groups.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6342105

I potted up the yellow and orange asiatics and got 12 #300 nursery cans of them.

On the aisiatics and oriental bulbs I plant them deep into these containers as they get a nice staulk later and also when I go to plant these into the garden I will be sinking the cans and all into the dirt for easier lifting later.

Moved them out to the holding area.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6342210

Now for AG_EDDIES! Wow what great packing and great bulbs he sent! There are the stargazers, the Mothers Choice, the Robina! All very nice!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6342222

He sent 36 stargazers and as I am short of potting soil I am potting them two bulbs to a #300 and will have 18 cans when through in holding.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6342300

On the Mothers Choice, there were 6 bulbs so those went to 1 bulb per #300 and to holding.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6342451

The Robina bulbs he sent are staying in the greenhouse. They had shoots on them that were nice and green and I am going to keep them in here until the weather gets better and the threat of freeze and snow are gone. Like maybe until April 19th!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6342532

Thanks AG_EDDIE for packing those bulbs up so nice! I cannot wait to see them growing in the garden here!

Well, also on my list of to does was to move beautygirls daffs out from the holding area to their rightful place in the garden.. I will have to plant them in another day.

Looks like I am gonna have to get on the move and divide some Stella de Oro daylilies to put one each in between her daff bulbs to continue the border edging of our dogleg! Gads, I need a bunch of daffs and Stellas yet to complete that project!

Well, thats it for today outside. Now I need to update my garden journals!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6346768

1.5 inches of rain today...we are very wet. No gardening today.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 31, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6346793

Tomorrow then...

maybe

if it's not raining! I'm enjoying watching you work!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6346830

Terri, tag along anytime, I enjoy having you critique me! I am off to the cafe again.. dang that chocolate! It beckons me!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6350272

Ok, yesterdays 1.5 inches of rain left the place totally saturated and pon puddles everywhere. If it was sunny and 75 I would not mind so much the water.. but it is 50 and sunny making soggy boggy around here no fun for gardening in. None the less, it is great for the pasture and the garden.. just not the gardener!

Dump the rain gauge... Be about all I will be able to do other than slog out and pock some more daffs for the cutting flowers.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6353137

Why do you dig up your lilies? I planted lilies in a pot, hope I didn't mess up because I didn't plant them really deep. Plan on transplanting them into the garden as soon as it warms up. They are one of my favorite perennials. Coleus is becoming one of my favorite annuals.

Hi Terri, we came to London one time and really enjoyed our selves. Standing at the bus stop and looking at the map my husband and I were discussing where we were going when a sweet elderly woman who was standing there said, "Sweeheart, you are doing a really good job, but you are on the wrong side of the street." I was looking at the map and watching the traffic but in my American brain I was not dawning on me. I just busted out laughing and thanked her. One thing I have always wanted to know about is when we were coming in from the airport on the train, I saw a lot of little garden rooms with beautiful small gardens in front of them. There were bunchs of them in a row and then a little farther we would see some more. I am guessing they were each privately owned and belonged to people who lived in the city? I wasn't a very big gardener back then.

Weather is still cold and rainy here. We get an early warm up to tease us and then Mother Nature takes it all back. I haven't started any seeds yet, still have lots of bulbs to get started. Maybe next year I will do the seeds.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6353611

Well, on occassion we dig up the lilies because sometimes they are in a place they have spread to and do not belong or they become too thick. The patch we just dug up were in pots but the pots heaved this winter and so we had to straighten out the bed. I have seem some of my tigerlily bulbs get as big as melons and so those monsters need to get a bigger pot! Seems those bulbs thrive near the dog park.. hmmm.. a little doggie do will do it! LOL! yuk, but true!

Tiger lilies have a tendency to be that way because they get the little bulbets on their staulks and they will go every where. I pot most all of my bulbs so to as to keep the moles and voles form invading their space and destroying them. The critters do not eat them, they just tunnel near them and the air pockets cause them to die.

Feels a tad warmer this morning. Not sure what the temp is, but I ran out in my "shorts" to take the dog out.. it is supposed to rain again so I guess I will be spending another day either doing house house work...dread dread.. or updating my garden journals.. to which I need to get caught up on some swapping. Think I will put some long pants on.. its not thaaat warm. Long about the 19th of April, that is when I can get to serious gardening around here usually the threat of snow is gone, but I have seen snow on Mothers Day.. I sure wished I got my taters in two weeks ago before all this jolly rain.

This is good, I found free seed packet templates that you can print off the Internet yesterday... check it out!

http://www.blossomswap.com/envelopes.html

I love coleus. You can take cuttings on them to make new plants. Regret though in my garden, any annual has to be potted..I am pretty much a perennial planter due to the tide! Its one of the disadvantages I have living on a flood plain. Its a garden of survival of the fittest. That is why too I have so many daylilies. they do well here and so do my daffodils. My soil is poor too so I have to go with the plants that grow best in that condition.

LOL!! I am so laughing.. the wrong side of the street!! Too funny! And I just bet, most Americans in London or other places down under or over do it all the time! They come here and do the same thing! Old habbits die hard! Hey terri, wheres that paper daff arrangement you are doing???! These inquirying eyes must see!

Here is one of my orange tigerlilies. The lilies are not where I originally planted, but them and another plant I have that grows rampant is my tall garden phlox. Those are like plants I care less on where they pop up! Just let them do their thing. My garden is not at all formal. Some of the other plants I got that I also allow to run rampant are spiderwarts. I have golden rod here and achillea... now those two I wish they were not so prevelant. My DH refers to them as weeds. I keep telling him, weeds are just plants that are out of place.. well his theory on the golden rod is that they need their own planet. LOL! My margarites are spreaders too. Now those animals have spread all over in our driveway...along with the achillea.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6358388

I have great luck with oriental lilies and the other one, but I planted a bunch of tiger lilies and they did not come back so strong at all. I was disappointed. It was partly my fault because I am not sure they got enough sun on the east side of the house, but was surprised on how fast they disappeared. I never saw any signs of varments under the ground and everything around them was fine.

Like you I love daylilies. I just found out last year they will grow in the watergarden, so I bet they are good for the flooding areas. I have had one growing in water all winter long, just as health and happy.

They say our last frost date is April 15, but I beg to differ with them. I truely don't think we are frost free until the 1st week in May and I have seen it as late as the 15th of May. This morning we had hard heavy frost...I am ready for spring...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6358466

Well another half inch rain. sigh...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 4, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6364513

Hi Happgarden,
Those little gardens you saw were probably allotments. These are community sites owned by the councils and rented to plot holders. I have an allotment, I grow veggies and flowers! there are 40 plots on our site.
LoL the wrong side of the road!

Sorry Blossom, my daffs flopped.
Hope your weather improves soon!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6365343

Wonderful weather today.. got some backforty yard work done!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6367494

terri, we are a little slow here in the states but now alot of the cities are doing "allotments" they don't have cute little storage sheds on them but people who live in the city get to garden. It is a great way to turn an empty lot into something beautiful and productive. What happened to your daffs? Mine have made it inspite of freezing rain, snow and 70 degrees (celicus would be...LOL don't know off top of my head).

Blossom, It was 65 degrees here yesterday and now it is snowing! Suppose to get really cold here tonight. Trying to figure out if I would really be able to use one even in the spring. Down to 26 tonight and it is April. Can't afford to heat a garden room and a greenhouse (especially not a greenhouse). Went outside before the rain and now snow started and trimed up pine trees so I can put a pottng bench under it. Only problem is the sap but shade will be very nice this summer, have to take the good with the bad...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #6370713

Not happy not happy at all! 2 inches of rain, all flooded because that is on an additional 2.5 inches of rain earlyer this week.. now snow.. half inch... no April fooling either.. Dangggggg!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 5:08 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6371037

Well, it was almost 2 inches of snow when I got up this morning.. patchy melted. Melting where there was standing water.

Nope, not happy. Hey California, send us some nice weather already!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6371246

Standing water is not a good thing...you sound like you grow alot of bulbs, hope they are high and dry for you!

I keep hearing average last frost date is April 15, think this needs to be changed to the end of April. A lot of years now I have tried to get plants ready for our Master Gardener plant sale the first weekend in May and each year the plants are smaller and smaller because of the late cold snaps. I went out in our first warm snaps and took starts and they have been in the garden room protected and growing, thank goodness.

Garden room has ran out of propane so I didn't want to buy more propane this late in the game so I put an electric heater out there. Checked this morning and it was 61 so it is doing the trick, temps were down to 28 this am.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6371309

My dafs love the standing water.. the tulips dont. Its a garden of survival of the extremes. I win some, lose some.. the daylilies, they do ok..

As far as the weather today.. not saying a word...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6371321

NOT A MUMBLING WORD!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6371456

I live on a hilltop so standing water is not something I experience at all, but winds that rock roses all winter long is another problem.

Sometimes Mother Nature is not kind, or she is weeding out the weak to make room for the strong.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6371501

Thank you for that word. Nature wants what it wants no matter how hard we try to seek otherwise. You really have to learn how to adapt. If you cannot stand the water, get out.. or the heat or whatever... thats just natures way. Ya either take it for what it is or die. That seems to be the way with the plants around here. It is truly survival of the fittest to that environment. Gets frustrating sometimes. Just when you think you got the garden spiffy, nature pulls your posies out from under ya and you got to re-do.

Some people just do not get it and they keep trying and fail to realize that the environment is only made for certain things.. On an off year you might be able to grow it, but it will die, so prepare ye to replant. And some people will re-plant and replant willingly knowing they may lose the bloomers and others replant in a squander mode.. they fail to realize the garden will die and then they say how they wasted a lot of money... Owell, thats people and gardening.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6377013

Well, meant to post this Sunday.. it was the scene from the greenhouse door that day!

It shows my woodchip pile where two domestic nuisance stray ducks have decided to use as an island. Not a happy camper with those pests at all and not happy with their owners who do not do enough to keep them at home.

Will be gardening as conditions allow here. Right now its too cold to "wade in the water" there is a skiff of ice on it.

So to my fine folks on my to-do list, your patience is appreciated as I try to catch up.

Well, I am off to work in the mail room. Begaaaack!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6403911

Well, its raining and in the upper 30's.. almost feels like it could snow again... ugh. Got about an inch again.

Cleaned some stuff out in the hoophouse, brought some pots to the GPS and put some plants outside..Moved some of the orientals and Plantgeeks Stars of Bethlehem came and so those got potted up and out to the pot patio too.

Need to box up some empty pots for storage. Will do that tomorrow. Its off to the Hen house.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 1:06 PM

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6404714

I moved potted lilies and daylilies outside Saturday not thinking it would get cold enough to frost again...well guess what...it's gonna.

I put mattress pad covers over them, surrounded them with mulch bags and then bent a huge piece of cardboard in the middle and tented them...I am hoping everything will be ok...I know if I would of bought a greenhouse this wouldn't be an issue!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6404738

Hap, your daylilies should be just fine. Dont know what kind of lilies you have, but if they are like asiatics or orientals, I think they will be ok, hoping they are not too big maybe? I have mine outside and I am not covering them. They are hardened and besides that they are perennials...

I sure wish it would give us a break on the rain already. Got another inch. It is getting to the point where if we do not get a dry spell, things are goig to get septic around here and Ihope the mosquitos are not awake this year yet. Sheesh.

Well, I am off to the henhouse again. Need to get some eggs.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6405389

The lilies are asiatic, I was just concerned because they are in pots and they are up about 3 inches, and new guys. I will check tonight. I may chicken out and bring them in...sounds like a lot of work. Someone said to put Christmas rope light inside the tent area I made.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6407860

Well, we got more rain today.. guess I will be playing inside. Got so much to do and cannot get anything done it seems.

Hap, your asiatics should be fine. They are a hardy lot. I have been babying an Easter lily and it has not bloomed yet.. Look at this poor guy, all spinly reaching for the sunshien we seem to never see anymore with all this rain.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6407868

Poor thing looks like its been charmed by a snake charmer! LOL!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2009 6:37 AM

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6407892

It is just a tad curvey...LOL
Frosted hard last night, left for work in the dark so I don't know what they looked like. Will probably get home in the dark so I hope everything is ok. Suppose to frost again this evening. We get clouds all day and rain, then of course at night the skies open up to allow the frost to get really heavy!
I am like you I think they will be fine, but sure can't afford to lose them.
Should of bought a greenhouse! LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6408098

Well, you win some and you lose some no matter how you do it. Lord knows the plants I have lost just from the flooding here. Gets any more I just have to keep replacing them and put things that survive the conditions... I dont make rocket science out of gardening. I garden by the seat of my pants! LOL! Plus a huge amount of sweat etquity.

Well, see you tomorrow. I probably will only pot up some more bulbs today and that will be it. Seen one pot with a bulb in the dirt.. seen them all! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6412672

Oh ICK ICK ICK! Another sunless day. Soooooooo depressing soooo very depressing. Days like today just really get you down. No yard work, no playing outside, no nothing.

Looked like there was 2/10ths in the rain gauge last night... will have to go see the sorry news!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6418587

Well, today I have sunshine! Finally. Dont think I can get anything done outside though.. it is still on the soggy side, but the perverbial "tide" is draining down.

The grass is green and a silly robin built her nest under a rubber tub that was upsidedown on top of the kennel...She got her self a good roof. Hope I dont need the tub for a while and hope the wind does not take it off of her. She is not gonna get wet when it rains the next time!
It wil be fun to watch her and her babies later! Why they build in some locations is just beyond me. But she can stay for all I care.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6421328

Well, the rain guage had 2/10ths today, but that was from the night before. I was able to get out and do a little in the GPS today.

I received a delightful parcel in from tcs1366! She sent some lovely chives and some glorious spiderplants!

Check these out! She packed them wonderfully the root balls were in a damp paper towel and saran wrap around that and then newspaper packing.

I want to know her secret in starting her spiders!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6421340

tcs1366 they are absolutely awesome! Hope you came for a visit here! Do tell your secret on starting them!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6421687

Here is the motherplant!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6421689

BB -- i stick'em in potting soil.

the "mother" i purchased at WallyWorld May of 2007, to go in a pot, the same one i took it out of ... and it sits on the hitch of our Park Model Trailer in Wisc. OH, i do water it with old coffee when i have any... but for 2 seasons, it sat outside from May til Oct... then i bring it home and keep it in doors.

never really did anything special with it. And it just got the babies this late fall ... then we got the kitty who decided it was his play thing and that is when i told you that i had the pot of babies going... i think there were 11 of'em and as you could tell... i could not get them apart.

I'm so glad i read your "Wants" for the Chives, as i got a lot of them last year, and i certainly will not use them all... so you got my smaller chunk of them.

I'm jsut glad they all went to a good home. I hate throwing anything away...

Enjoy...

Terese
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6421837

Well, girl, I am so happy with them! I think I will try some manure tea on them though since I am not a coffee drinker!

Wow too on those chives.. "little" LOL! I hope I dont kill those. I have a wild chives in our woods and tried to transplant them and to no avail! Yours are so luxerious!

Ok, on the one starter you sent, I managed to make three of these!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6421860

Oops! Thats the mother plant... trying again.. three of these...

(Computer magic gone awry!.. hoocuspocus!)

Tada! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6421871

And the chives.. holy cow, those are nice! Thanks ever so much and I willbe catching up with you soon!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6422049

the babies were so healthy looking... i still have a few babies left on my half of the mother plant ... i may snip them off and put them in water too.

as for the chives... last year at our RV Park, a gal gave me a HUGE chunk ... i planted half in Wisc -- not sure how well they will do, as i'm pretty shaded ... and the other half came home with me.

hope you are finally drying out in this nice weather we are finally getting.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2009 10:08 AM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6423637

Thanks tcs! I just love the plants you sent. I will not be adding any garden entry here today, but just wanted to let you know. My schedule is full and so no gardening today. Bare with me while I muddle through my mess here!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 17, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6423687

Have a lovely day, we will be here when you return... no worries!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6426830

Pulled all the plants out of the garden room today and hosed them off. Something about brugmansia and elephant ears are bug magnets! But they are all better now and back in the greenhouse.

All the lilies and daylilies did just fine during the cold weather. I probably didn't need to cover them up and all that, but way too much money invested to lose now...LOL Should of bought a greenhouse!

Walked around the flower beds and there is sooo much to do already!

Tomorrow rain in the morning...what else is new!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6432211

Rain drops keep falling on my head...

How about a round of "let a smile be your umbrella"!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6432365

I think I am sending more rain your way...so sorry!
Next week here is suppose to be warm and nice I will be sure and send it your way...
Cold and wet here...yuck
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6433474

I will take your rain Missouri! Just tell COLORADO to keep their snow!

I was a bad woman today.. I bought a couple of flats of $2 bargain snapdragons in from the local store along with some $5 petunia baskets and a 9 pak of $3.29 Big Boy tomatoes. They best be not sitting in snow by morning!!! I think I will bring them in for the night.

The petunia baskets are so thick I am going to transplant them and make a couple more baskets and the snaps need manicuring then potting, but should be ok as long as I can keep that lousy snow away!

We did do a little mowing yesterday and pruned a couple trees. We are still cleaning up from the ice storm and I hope tomorrow to get out in the greenhouse and get some stuff done. I think I need potting soil though.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6433769

Here are the petunias...Tomorrow or when I get a chance and some more potting soil, I am going to divid these and make a few more baskets.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6433823

Well, gorgeous they are not... but they were $2 a flat, and worth a shot to see what I can do with them. Will have to manicure them and I think I will put them in containers. Maybe I can get these pathetic snaps to snap back.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6433965

OH, the rain was 2/10ths again today... Ok. better days should be coming.. sigh.

Then found this lovely beauty in the garden, I have no clue what it is other than some daf of some description, seems my plant label disappeared, but then I think it might be from my friend Erin

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6435935

Moved the tomatoes, the petunias and snaps to the GPS...will try to work them up today.

Todays weather - RAIN...
Humidity: 100%
Wind: NNE at 8 MPH
Barometer: 29.65 in.
Dewpoint: 48F
Wind Chill: 45F
Visibility: 2SM

Supposed to have more rain and be around 45... sigh! Guess I will be dodging the raindrops between the GPS and the Chicken coop.

Need to cut some flowers, and pot up some trades ASAP to get them in the mail soon. Bare with me guys, if you have stuff coming, its coming.. just have to be patient with the wet here.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6436017

yanno -- every time i look at the radar... this HUGE cloud mass is not moving... well, except in a circle. We keep saying... at least it isnt pouring. Light rain is good... but it's been over 24hrs of rain so far, with more on the way for today... sorta put a kibosh on our week, as we were supposed to go go Wisc this morning... oh well, there's always next week.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6436546

LOL! Well, thats what I like about the GPS.. If its raining I can go to plan B in the gardening. So today I got my maters bumped up to gallon pots, Ran them over to my chicken coop to sit on the shelf there.. I am not ready to set them out or plant them in the garden. I stand corrected, they are not Big Boys, they are BETTER BOYS...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6437820

Ok, got the petunias divided and potted to other containers. Made 2 new hanging pots, which I need to install hangers on, put a pair of salmon petunias back to its original hanger, a pair of pinks to its original hanger put the remainders in smaller containers and left one fat hanging basket just to enjoy!

Pardon the dirt on the containers, I was hoping the rain would rince that!! (Ooops then the sun came out!!) LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6437841

Left one basket as is...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6437858

And divded the other two baskets as thus...

Herb pot is on end of bench!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6437905

Colors - Red!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6437910

Pank!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6437916

Deep violet

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6437943

Salmon

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6437993

And white...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6439044

Brought some stack shelves in and put all the bloomng things I thought would get hurt by frost in for the night.. Aint much, but its the start of it.
Got my spifer plants out for the night.. jeez, I hope they wil be ok. Maybe I am rushing it? Usually our last frost date is the 19th... hmmmmm...

A friend said snow was predicted.. I checked the local weather adn they said more rain.. that darned srom is just not moving on. Well anyway, the local weather said no frost or snow, just a chance of pea size hail. OY!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6439244

I've had the Spider out in some pretty cool weather this spring... but I can't recall 30's ... that may be a bit cold. Upper 30's may be OK if they are out of the wind, which they should be, right?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6439678

Well, I am gonna chance it. They are saying rain with temps warming so hopefully what I heard about any snow was a mistake.

They are going to beclosed up so they should hopefully be ok. Well Will see in the morning. The petunias and snaps were hardened off so those should be ok too.

Such a late spring isnt it! Seems like that darned storm is just sitting and sitting and rotating.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6439879

I checked... mine is outside too. it's in an unheated sun room. it should be find too.

we've got a low of 36 with a high of 45 tomorrow. Brrrrrr. I actually had my winter coat on today... it was so windy.

oh well, one more day of "winter" and then back to spring,

I've got some sowing to do - and tomorrow should be a good day for that.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6441321

Well, good morning... todays weather..

Cloudy. Isolated thunderstorms early in the evening. Scattered showers in the evening...Then a chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the upper 30s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the late evening and early morning. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Will be out in the GPS later this morning.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6441904

We are finally having a nice day in the 70's. Course I am at work so it doesn't matter...LOL except maybe it will dry the ground out.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6442177

Hi Hap, well dont that beat all!

Well, I checked on the plants I put out last night in the greenhouse and all is fine! The spiderplants even acually got a little deeper color this morning so that is a good sign, the snaps are perky and all the rest too

I need to get potting those lycoris. I have had them in my fridge now since they came in so I think that is one of the projects to get done today and to also start on some of my traders parcels. I am soooo behind with this weather its going to be a while before I catch up on everyone. SO its one day at a time and posting back as I mail!

Did put some four oclock seed to a pot this morning and that is so far all I have had time for.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6442403

Well, darnit, my thermometer out in the GPS broke...about the only thing working today is the raingauge!

Looks like it might clear a little later.. so guess I need ot move off to plan B

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6443312

Well, cancelling the potting up of the lycoris (Red spider lilies..) the derned rain got me staved from my dirt pile so I will have to hold off to tomorrow.

I did bundle up 8 big bags of plastic pots though. I will be repackaging those to get rid of at a later date. I moved the majority of the big #500 nursery cans out of the hoop house and will be moving them to storage hopefully on the weekend. I need to bundle those up in groups of 50 or 100.

Still not able to dig plants out of the garden.. maybe later this week. It started raining again.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6445154

WOW! I got a grrrreat parcel from NJCWGRL today TOTALLY AWESOME! Check this out!

Awesome packing job to girl!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6445169

Enclosed was 3 peices of velvet...hmmm not to sure why, but I think some craft could be made of them for sure! Very pretty anyway! And some seed... Bells of Ireland was one...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6445209

Also enclosed was some of her blackberry lily seeds!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6445234

She had some small bareroot green spiderplantss and a burrotail in the same baggie... the burro tail fell into a bunch of peices, much to be expected when shipping a plant like as it is sooo very delicate that so I will be starting a bunch of baby burros in the future.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6445293

Her green spiderplant babies

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6445346

Here is her spiderplant starters all potted up for now!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6445359

Yet, more in the box and wrapped very tidy...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6445370

two bags like this...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6445388

And inside each bag was a Christmas cactus thusly wrapped...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6445406

After unwrapping revealed a rather plump and healthy good sized Christmas cactus...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6445417

And the second after unwrapping

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6445442

revealed a slightly smaller, but just as plump and healthy another Christmas cactus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6445458

WOW! What a great package NJCWGRL! Truly Christmas in April for me! Stay tuned.. I will be preparing your parcel too and will let you know when I am ready to mail! Thank you for the great packaging and good luck on your new adventure!

That sure made my rainy day!

If I get some potting soil I will put those burros tails up and show ya'll how I do that!

Thats all for today! Catch you all here tomorrow!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6446481

TODAYS WEATHER: Partly sunny in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. A chance of sprinkles early in the morning. Not as cool. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Well we did have frost last night but the plants in the greenhouse are doing fine.

I am going to put the Christmas cactus out there today. Not sure yet what I am going to do. Need to take care of some animals first. So after chores I will get back in here.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6446541

Upper 70's today, bad thing is I am at work...so sad

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6446764

At least with the sun and warmer temps... the soggy ground has time to dry out.
I just came in from talking a walk with the pooch... it's really wet back there... i could maybe pull weeds today - but it looks like working the soil is out until maybe tomorrow.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6446866

Our good ole Missouri clay soil hangs on to the wet as long as possible, before turning into a brick. My earlier flowerbeds I didn't know about amending the soil so it is just Missouri clay with amendments put on later after I got a little smarter.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6447576

I sure miss the soil we had at our old farm. Well anyway, go here for todays plant tour..

We have been posting APRIL FLOWERS 2009 there

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969831/#new

and ya'll come back!

Hehehe! I got sunshine.. but I bet it will not last.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6448837

OK, first project finishing is the burros tails I am gonna try something new.. I have a pile of glad boxes with lids so I am going to put about an inch of soil into each box and then put the burro tails on top of the soil and lay the lids on each the lid on for a few days. I am not going to water these because I am guessing there is just enough moisuture in this potting mix to get these guys to root. Well here goes...

Got 13 boxes started... 12 will go in the GPS and the 13th one will go in the house under lights in the livingroom.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6448870

Here they are in step!

One: lose tails
Two: put inch soil in box
Three: put a few tails on top of soil
Four: losely put lid on

I dont know exactly how long this will take or if it will work, but time will tell! The soil is 40 lbs generic potting soil wiht 2 lbs. sand mixed. So it is light, yet moist.

Set those on a shelf and wait!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6449391

Heres the 12...

Well, thats all I have time for today.. will be back tomorrow. Hope tht sun stays shining tomorrow too!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6450057

Hoya that I got from bigred one year a few years back!

Its going out to the greenhouse today too. Almost forgot it!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6451368

Todays weather

Humidity: 34%
Wind: NW at 16 MPH
Wind Gusts: 23 MPH
Barometer: 29.85 in.
Dewpoint: 34F
Visibility: 10SM

Mostly sunny. Not as cool. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Do we dare put on a happy face!? Now if the ground would drain that would be really sweet!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6451437

WOW -- you are south of me and we "should" be 68 [my bet low 70's since they are usually off by about 5 ] and SSW winds... that could be the difference, with those NE winds, you'd get them "off the lake" right, which would make it cooler.

i'm just so happy for a few warm days... DH was commenting that later in the week, he may still be in the (basement) shop, because it's too HOT, not cold.

here's to a day of working in the yard.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6453309

South and way east! I am on the Indy border! LOL!

Yep, been playing outside here today.. and back and forth to the office.. OY! I need a laptop in the GPS!.

Anyway, I got the lycoris moved to the holding area. Then potted up the scilla that I got from momoftwo607 and moved them to the holding area along with working up her margarite daisys. Hoping to mail them in a couple of weeks.

Then I worked up some sedum golden carpet, tall garden phlox, blue spruce sedum, some margarite daisys, bishops weed, mums and some achillea for DIRTYGIRL71. I think I am still missing a few on her order. ... sedum golden acre and some lycoris maybe? will have to check. And also hoping to mail hers in a couple weeks.

Potted up a couple snaps.

Been a really nice sunny and fairly warm day.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
10:24 AM

Post #6455799

Todays weather is supposed to be:

Mostly sunny. Breezy. Very warm. Highs in the lower 80s. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph at Times.

Well, I am not buying that it is gonna be sunny.. the other weather map looks pretty wet to me. Ugh.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #6455841

Rained yesterday am and then low 80's and it was humid yesterday.
I think it is suppose to be nice today...

Need some yard playing time and about 100 bags of mulch to smother the weeds.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6455881

10-4 on the mulch.. I need semi loads! Then it would be nice to jjust walk out there without puddle jumpers on. We are soooo saturated.

Well, does not look like I will get much of anything done today. Sun is out, but got other chores to do. Maybe later.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6457945

we got a lot of rain last night... and oddly enough, i slept thru it. DH said there was a lot of thunder... the ground is pretty soggy -- so i probably wont get much done today... though i could transplant some seedlings.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6460604

Well, I was bad yesterday. I stopped at Smits and got me some annuals...theres some begonias, dusty miller, peppers, marigolds, alyssum, got a lovely calla.

Todays weather...

Humidity: 68%
Wind: SSE at 18 MPH
Wind Gusts: 24 MPH
Barometer: 29.94 in.
Dewpoint: 55F
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

I am gonna have to wait until probably Monday to do anything out here in the GPS. Our animals shelther needs tending too and we have to spread fertilizer on the pasture and so that will about shoot the weekend. But I will bounce back in here as I can!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6460629

And here is the calla. I swiped the tinfoil pot cover from that spindly Easter lily that I have that did not bloom and thought it would look nice on it. This is going in the house. The Easter lily went out to the GPS.

AS for the calla, I have never tried these so this will be a a first! I am in awe of the many colors I had to chose from! There were white, yellow, some even had spotted leaves, but I chose the "pank"!

Well, thats it for now, the burro needs a trim.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6461263

Well, got the animal done, but now we are dodging raindrops again so I am gonna work up some annuals.. got the marigolds here...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6461458

... it's pouring here... wont get much done at all today... luckily i got the lawn mowed yesterday.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6461734

Oh lucky you! I dont plan on mowing for weeks yet. Might do the dog park that be about it and the house path, but the rest can get long and tall for all I care. I will hay it later.

Yellow marigolds up...

Suns out.. so I am running between the horsemanure and the greenhouse as we fill the spreader.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6461768

Beautiful flowers, played outside a little yesterday had a cyst removed in the morning so wasn't feeling too chipper.
Back out today working but rain is coming again. I am going to just have to get a big raincoat and keep at it as long as it doesn't thunder...

Callas are one of my favorites.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6461888

Orange

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6461930

Any hints from you on the callas? I understand they go dormant so I will see it whiter and that its normal then will come again. I am glad I asked on that part because if I did not, then I may have tossed the bulb later thinking I killed it!! LOL!

orange and dark orannge marigolds..done

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6461963

Next up... coleus. I just got a few.. I am hoping later to make cuttings off these.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6462002

Coleus in green and maroon...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6462050

Love this pink!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6462126

And then white and green! ...done

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6462271

Got 2 paks of green peppers. Each had 4 plants in it and was only sposed to have three. Guess thats my bonus.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6462351

Did the white alyssum with some magenta snaps in a wfew window boxes

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6462366

I am anxious to see these later when they mature. Its been awhile since I have grown snapdragons. I just might add some more color to these boxes later.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6462700

Well, I got three different begonias.. hope to try to make cuttings later...

ergh... bad picture.. sorry on that.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6462977

Red begonia

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6463014

"Pank" begonia

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6463189

white begonias...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6463248

last but not least the dusty miller. So much foir doing annuals today.

I moved a few daffs out of a bed that needs reworking and pulled a huge stella de oro daylily out along wiht pulled up some asiatic lilies to move to another place.

I am tired. Day is done.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6464435

New day... looks like rain again.

Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Breezy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph early in the morning increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph at Times in the late morning and afternoon.

Im going to the cafe.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6476179

Well, just got out of the cafe and I am once agian dodging rain drips! I am beginning to know what a prune feels like.

Anyway, checked the tomatoes today and dang it, lost half of the good size ones I bought. They damped off. So I guess I am going to have to get more or maybe try something else. Of nine, I got three left. I dont expect them to make it... grrr!

Lost a couple of hostes in pots from winter, also lost an asperagus, a plumbago, some rose campions, and.. theres more, but thats all I can remember for now.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6476277

Divided up a can of daffs.. to three new #300's to go in the dogleg project.

Divided that one clump of Stella De Oros daylilys to up to 13 #300's and moved them to the dogleg.

Did some cyphering on what I was going to do with a patch in a bed that winterkilled. I will be putting daylilies inthere... just need a new variety. Ok, need to go hunt for a new pretty for that. Looks like I will need about 15 or so new starter clumps to go in there.

Need to make some labels.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6478736

Todays weather:

Humidity: 87%
Wind: E at 10 MPH
Barometer: 30.33 in.
Dewpoint: 45F
Wind Chill: 44F

Cloudy. A chance of sprinkles in the morning. Highs in the lower 60s. East winds around 10 mph.

Got my labels made and am to go pick flwoers for a little bit and maybe take some photos.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6478986

Heres the bouquet of the day for zanymouse.. need to run it over to the cafe...

Well, got Irishes plants set aside.. She is getting a #300 of tigerlilies, 2 #300's of tall phlox, and a #300 of thalia so far.

Potted up some more phlox and finished the daffs I started yesterday.

Need to see what DIRTYGIRL71 needs yet on her list. I think I needed to dig some sedums for her yet and a few others...

I know I need to dig some more daylilies for a few friends too.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6480345

Winding up momoftwo607's parcel today.

Bumped DIRTYGIRL71's up. Getting hers ready to box.

Worked seven sedum golden carpet flats up.

Moved pots around. Need to water and go dig some more plants out.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 29, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6480440

Hi Blossom! Great work going on over here! What do you use to make your labels?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6480952

I use recycled plant stakes, popsicle sticks, whatever depends on what I am marking. Or somethimes will just take some whiteout and mark the pots direct. Or take blank address labels if I am marking like a plant that I am mailing and putting it in a bag.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6481335

Those sedum flats will look better in a couple weeks.

Need to go dig a daylily clump up. Got it.. Prairie Blue eyes. CindyLewis is getting one.

Bumped up some snapdragons to larger pots.

Dug up RED MAGIC daylily for CindyLewis.

I need to dig up some achillea first thing in the morning...

I am done in here for theday.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6483236

Humidity: 100%
Wind: E at 9 MPH
Barometer: 30.33 in.
Dewpoint: 46F
Wind Chill: 42F
Visibility: 2 1/2SM

Rain with embedded thunderstorms in the morning... Then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Rain May be heavy at Times in the morning. Much warmer. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

LOL! I have to laugh.. they say 100% humidity and 80% chance of percipitation? Try 100% WET.

Be another puddle jumpng day! Least I have some things I can get done in the GPS.

I have a daylily clump here on the work bench and a pile of snapdragons to bump up. I am missing something though...

Oh no... its potting soil...

Im heading back to the cafe... hope someone has some lemonade there.

Splish splash JUMP!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6487049

Ok, this thread is getting a tad long so I am going to start pART 3!

I was a baaaad woman today and not only did I get some potting soil, I got some annuals and replaced those damped off tomates!

So ok, here is the new link!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bringemin/all/

Follow me to the window boxes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America