Photo by Melody

Sustainable Alternatives: Good News - The Food Revolution- In The New York TImes today

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 19, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6302730

Oh this is a lovely article, in the New York Times Business Section no less (and when's the last time there's been any good news there?)

Somehow it just makes me feel a little stronger, more hopeful, more on track, than anything I've read in a long time. And Alice Waters is again featured.

We used to live in Oakland Ca and went to Chez Panisse...way back...who would have thought we'd get to this day, where the right thing may actually see light of day? And reform of subsidizing industrial agribusiness to boot...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/business/22food.html?_r=1&hp
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6309863

Hopefully Congress will get that it is about our health and not just $.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6312117

And not just our health, politically, it's about freedom of choice in food, not to be controlled by one of four or five huge multinational corporations...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6335360

Love it!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 29, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6335663

This is going to be an up-hill fight. The advocates of cheap low quality food have controlled Washington for years. It would indeed be a revolution to break through that barrier.

Labeling so people would be aware when they are eating processed and genetically modified foods would be a start. No wonder we are a nation of people living on pills with obese children!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6336605

My sister's kid (21) asked me yesterday about a package of creamed spinach in the freezer (not mine, though). She likes spinach with vinegar on it, and she wanted to know if she could do that with creamed spinach. I told her to read the label of ingredients... apparently she has never done that before. So then she wanted to know what all those chemicals were, and I told her they are what she eats every day when she doesn't read labels. I hope a tad of it sank in!

Yes, it will be an uphill battle, but inch by inch I think we are moving up that hill...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6336611

And... have you noticed that as more folks are reacting to fiscal abuse, more folks are starting to blow the whistle?
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6336879

I heard last night though that the food safety bill aims to track every molecule of food through the chain...requiring people buying at farmer's markets to fill out forms of what they buy and when they are planning to consume it, with all their contact info...you know, in case hundreds of people get sick the FDA can track it. Now that's ridiculous, since none of these food scares involve small growers, and by definition, small growers will not cause huge outbreaks.

It is one more attempt by the multinational agribusinesses to shut down local farmers.

I guess we'll all need machines to put SKUs on every tomato we give away or sell.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6336892

Yes, so I hear. My egg man says he is concerned about selling the few dozen eggs a week his daughter raises.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6336901

Well give him a Sharpie and he can make little SKUs and input the info into his computer and email it to the FDA in case thousands of people fall ill!!! LOL

There's a reason gun sales are going through the roof...I think people are getting worried about being unable to care for themselves with all this nonsense.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6336909

THis must be the thread on the bill they were discussing on one of the talking head shows last night...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/961171/

I hadn't heard much about it but will look into it now, may need to write some letters of protest.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6336930

There are at least 2 bills in the senate, and 1 or more in the House. HR 875 is the least of our worries. Sorry, I forget the numbers of the Senate bills... 814? DON'T quote me on the number... my memory fails when I need it most.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6337684

So much is happening at lightning speed in our legislature. People are getting glassy eyed trying to figure out what's going on. It's a good time for scoundrels to slip in everything the lobbyists demand.

We probably won't even hear about all the new laws until we find out we've violated them!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6338602

I can see the underground food market of the future. Buying tomatos in an alley. People walking around with zucchini stuffed in inside pockets in their jackets.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 30, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6339413

Someone on another site suggested there would be "seedeasies" instead of "speakeasies" as in Prohibition.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6340087

LOL gloria, I want to have a seedeasy!! WHat a great idea!!

People are having "tea parties" all over the place in protest of the financial plans, why not seedeasies?

Yep, we'll be wearing trenchcoats and flip them open to "flash" illegal seeds and vegetables.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

March 30, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6341181

Hahahahaha
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2009
7:04 AM

Post #6348541

Zucchinis in trench coats. Now there's a visual. LOL!

Sandor Katz wrote about the many "bread clubs" and other community food clubs in his book "The Future Will Not Be Microwaved". The clubs started as a way for someone to sell small quantities of home baked bread to their friends and neighbors without having to go through all the capital improvements and hoops required for a bakery business. This expanded to others who made homemade jams, cakes, salsas etc. You could only get access to the club if you were referred by another member. Eventually the club grew to a few hundred members who meet regularly for a local food "exchange". More and more of these are popping up.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6349092

GM Great idea! If all goes well I'll have way too many potatoes, and wouldn't it be great to swap some for something else? Or even "chits" . COmmunities are starting to use their own local currencies again, as they did in the Great Depression.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6349289

D, I read a lot about local currencies a few years back when I lived in Asheville. There actually was a thriving barter economy group in the next county who used chits. They even had a dentist and a Vet who accepted the chits.

I read about the "bread clubs" in that book by Katz too. In many ways, we have (or had) that here via a woman who had a limited amount of raw milk. Meeting and exchanging for the milk was very clandestine. Alas, when her cow dried up, she moved on to other things...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America