Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

baby quilt challenge part 2

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We came from here: Its NEVER to late to join us! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/955698/#new

A reminder about the "rules"

Ladies! I would like to organize a Quilt swap for baby blankets to be donated. The way it would work is like this: ONLY One person would send each swap member 1/2 yard of prewashed cotton print baby fabric. Each swap member would then choose their own design and other fabrics to coordinate with the 1/2 yard given to them. You would then donate your baby quilt to the charity of your choice.

Many of us are already making and donating quilts to hospitals, Project Linus and other organizations. This would give us an opportunity to "work together" and see how someone else would use the same fabric.

Psychw2 has offered to send the first 1/2 yard of a bold primary color toddler car print. If this is a "success" we might consider making this an ongoing project with each of us taking a turn providing the 1/2 yard. Anyone want in? This first project is "unlimited" until Psychw2 runs out of fabric! She bought a LOT and still has more. We want to see if there is good follow through and not overburden the person who is providing the 1/2 yard each and postage for the fabric, so future swaps will be limited in size, more like 4 to 6 people.

NO DEADLINE, this "challenge" for this thread will "end" when psychw2 runs out of this fabric. Then we'll open MORE of the same threads with different people donating the fabrics.

Please use only 100% prewashed cotton and post a picture of your completed project and a description of WHERE your quilt is going. There is no firm "deadline" for completion but by May 20 would seem doable.

Ladies, REV-UP your sewing machines and sign up to participate and get your first 1/2 yard!
1. Quilter5bdsr
2. Psychw2
3 Shuggins
4 Mittsy
5 Luvs2garden2000
6 Ladydragon5
7 Abbisgranma
8 BarefootT
9 Doe41
10 Taters55
Realistically no one will be "turned away", any one can sew with us.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 6:41 PM

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for the compliment doc, I am enjoying working on these baby quilts....and while I was working on this one I got a fantastic inspiration for another...with some fabric I've been trying to figure out!!!!

I'm on a baby roll.....yahoo.... ;-}

I got to spend precious time with my Sweet 13 month grandson this weekend. He is sooooooo cute! Its a pretty good kid, my son is lucky.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread Pat. 13 months eh? Just walking, just talking --oh so much fun ahead!!! They are a joy at this age. My youngest GD will be two in May and boy is she a handful. We LOVE it....

He is so SWEET!!! He has so completely captured my heart. I only get to see him a couple of hours a month. When he reaches for me with arms outstretched I'm so grateful. I always worry that as little as I get to see him he will be afraid of me or just reject me as a 'stranger". I'll be moving back to WA soon I hope, his Dad & him may be moving in with my Sweet Husband & I.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I would love to participate in this quilt thread. Please tell me where you all are, and what I have to do? So we make one quilt per month? I have a womens shelter here, that I donate things to for the holidays, and we also have a hopsital that would love the quilts.
Thanks

Linda Kay

Welcome Linda Kay. Psychw2 has some children's fabric and she is sending 1/2 yard to each person who wants to join in until the fabric is almost gone. She is saving a little bit in case someone needs just a little extra. You then add your material to it to make a baby quilt that will be donated when done. All we ask for is pictures of the finished quilt before it is donated and we would like to know where it was donated. We really want to see all the different ways the same piece of material was used for the same purpose. This trip through was a test to see how many would be interested. I'm pleased at how many have signed on. We thought we would try for one every three months and break it down to 4 to 6 people in a group to share material. That way there is no burden on any one person. We were VERY FORTUNATE to have Psychw2 donate fabric for this run and I understand she still has some left. I will let her know you would like some (if she hasn't seen your post already). Thanks for wanting to help others and welcome again to the challenge. Barb

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 8:29 AM

Thanks for letting me in. I am so looking forward to doing this quilt! Is there a specif size, or pattern I need to follow?
I am in the address exchange.
LK

It is totally your choice of other fabric and pattern. If you look back through the previous thread you will see different sizes that have been made. Mine will be about 40/44" by 46/48". I like this size as it can be used for a crib or a wheelchair as my quilt is going to a cancer center. Looking forward to having you with us. If you look at the previous thread you can see the donated fabric and choices that others have made. Barb

Oh, I never thought, but could it go to a nursing home also? I just saw the title baby quilts, and thought it had to be for children. Thanks for the info, I will go back and read more.
Thanks

LK

This particular one should go to a child as the fabric we are all getting has cars, planes, etc for a young boy. That would make a great leadin for another challenge though. Boy my mind really is spinning with ideas now...

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I think we need to post the challenge fabric again, here it is. One half yard to start with.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Here's what I put with it for my baby quilt.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Here's my top. The yellow and white stripe is my backing fabric.

Thumbnail by mittsy

And heres mine. Yellow border with dark blue binding . Hot air ballon fabric for the back.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

I love all the quilts I have seen so far.
This is a nice project, thanks for starting it. This will help so many kids, young and old alike!
LK

LK you could always start a "For Our Young Elders Swap" for nursing home and other geriatric patients. I'd join in.

Let me think on that one. I am in the 12 month block swap, and this one. With Me taking care of my Dad, I don't want to get too bogged down, but that does sound interesting.

Thinking is a good thing!!! Hugs to your Dad. Barb

Thanks

I saw your post Linda Kay and I'll get some fabric out to you. I've gone thru the house looking for the big envelopes I bought to mail more fabric out and I can't find it!!! Guess I'll have buy more.

Has everybody received their fabric to date??? Anyone join late that hasn't received their fabric? THIS is a great time to speak up, I'll be cutting and mailing again shortly.

What do I owe you for the postage?

I am providing the fabric and postage. It has been really much more reasonable than I expected. You will have your own turn if you choose to hostess a baby quilt challenge. Thanks for asking. ~ Pat

Thanks Pat, I will someday in the future, but not right now! I have my Dad living with me, and he can be a handfull sometimes. He keeps me busy.

Hello everyone, April will be here so soon and everyone will be out playing in their gardens and enjoying the welcome weather of spring. Just thought I'd drop in to our thread and see how everyone is doing with their fabric. I know you still have plenty of time but this will bump the thread up to the top. don't want to lose anyone!!! Enjoy!!!
Barb

ANYONE who has not yet received their fabric and would like to sew along, please send me your address by d-mail!!! This will serve as my reminder to me. I've been sick and I KNOW there is some people who wanted to join in late that I've missed. THANKS!
~ Pat (and yes I know I could look them up in Extras if you are listed, please send them by dmail)

I just discovered a new local sewing shop! they sell more machines, and accessories than fabrics, but do have fabric truck load sales from time to time....so they call themselves "sewing" center. not quilt shop..................anyways....they have a connection for a local hospital that takes donations of quilts (any size) and pillow cases..so this may be where my baby quilt will go??

I still want to talk to local fire dept, and I am thinking of asking the mayor If he knows of anything local?

a good part of my top is done, i am pondering border fabric????

Thumbnail by barefootT

That is going to be so nice. love the colors, and layout!

LK

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I love the quilt. So bright and cheerful.

Thunder that is just wonderful. Checking with local officials is a great thing to do too. We always seem to think of hospitals and cancer centers but tend to forget our own. How many times would a police officer love to be able to give a victim of child abuse something to make them know someone cares??? Or a fire victim??? Let us know what they have to say please????
Your glutton block will be mailed tomorrow along with some of those scraps I promised!!!! Barb

I'm thinking another border of green and then the same blue as the toddler print. It is soooooooooo beautiful Thunder, you do GREAT work!

thanks, I am very pleased with this one,I love to do bright for baby quilts. the borders will "come to me" I'm sure.

green then blue sounds good doc, I will give that a pre-view. I had been thinking of using more of the blue swirls.

I keep hoping the mayor will stop in where I work, as he does from time to time, so I can ask his input, and he would know about the fire and police depts.....I've just been to busy to make the time to go to his office on one of my occasional weekday days off...

The borders sound perfect. Where do you work that the mayor just drops in?

Thunder, your baby challenge is wonderful. I live the idea of donating local. Whenever we go to a quilting function we are usually introduced as those wonderful ladies that donate all the beautiful quilts to the babies. I think that I why we get so much beautiful donated fabric.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Thunder, I love the alternate block with the bright colored pattern. The mixture of the pattern and the colors ae so interesting. I see things ilke that and say "I wish I could have picked that combination" but I know that I might not. One of the reasons I think my DIL will be good at quilting is that she does have that "eye" for what works together.

I work in a garden shop, and the Mayor is a plant "nut", He taught the middle school agriculture class for years, he had the kids set up a green house and start plants, and then they sold them to make the money to keep the green house going. a great guy...so he comes in to buy plants, or supplies...He has one of the most beautiful yards in town !

That is so cool...a politician who cares is a rare commodity these days. Your town is very lucky to have him.

Barb, I have a friend (a quilter) that lives in Keene. Do you know of any quilt shops within driving distance? She already visits Keepsake each summer.

Mittsy you have dmail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.