Succulents, etcetera.

Longboat Key, FL

With the water shortage, I am gradually changing to succulents wherever a water-guzzler needs replacing. I found TROPIFLORA, here in Sarasota. (On Tallevast, between 301 and I-75.)

Frankly, I was not prepared for the expanse and breadth of their nursery. They have only about twenty acres, and much of it is under cover.

We were looking for succulents, but their bromeliads and orchids were spectacular, and most enticing. We could not ignore the tremendous order they had set aside for shipment to Singapore. Some of those plants are magnificent !!!

We managed to gather a few specimens -- and would have taken more if we had the space. They are gorgeous!

They are having a thing they call a FESTIVAL, April 3-5. They promise food and drinks -- but just wandering through their nursery would be treat enough. We'll try to get there.

: )

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

If you do get there we expect pictures and a full verbal account! lol Some of us are just too far away.

Darla

Longboat Key, FL

I'll try.

Be well

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I know it depends on the species, (which I have no clue which ones I have), but in zone 9a, would I be safe in planting my succulents/cacti in the ground year around?

Longboat Key, FL

I am no expert.

When we purchased this house there was a cactus growing outside in a small patch, facing east. It got so big -- enormous -- that we had to have it torn out.

My new ones seem to be surviving, so far.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

Here are a few from Tropiflora:

1. Agave celsii -- albicans marginata

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

2. Agave Americana

P.S. It's surrounded by some broken-off stems of Kalanchoe -- which I just stuck in the ground.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

3. Agave Desmettina variegated

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And a couple from Crowley's

a. Furcrea

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

b. Aloe (large -- my name)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

c: Aloes (small -- my name)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And some Euphorbia -- Crown of Thorns -- from various places

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And a Euphorbia (cutting, purloined from a neighbor)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And a Firestick Pencil Cactus from Crowley's)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And a lonely tomato that sprung up from last year's planting, among more purloined Euphorbia.

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Your yard looks a whole lot like mine...... :-)

Longboat Key, FL

I don't think so.

Yours is much larger -- and you, also, have some grass.

Be well

Longboat Key, FL

So, Tropiflora had its summer sale. We went -- two days. And, I must confess, my DDW and I had no problem in making our quota.

This is a sample: Opuntia monacantha variegate "Joseph's Coat.."

d=_=b

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Cool - I have that one too ^_^ but I didn't know it was called Joseph's Coat.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Kay, if you are still looking in here, now that you are in zone 8b, you will find that not all succulents can take the cold.

The agaves do very well here, although my variegated one got bit this winter by the cold, pretty bad. In the spring I cut off all the crispies and am trying to bring it back.

The prickly pear cactus do well since they are native here, but I have had some other cacti that froze up and went hollow.

They say hens and chicks do well, but I have trouble keeping them alive in my rock garden.

Flyboy, great idea to go with these plants. They are beautiful and are easy to care for, not too demanding.

Molly

Yes, I am still here - LOL! I won't be going anywhere unless something forces me to - ie my grandbabies move away - I will have to follow, OF COURSE! I decided, after talking to a neighbor who has gardened here for 50 years, not to put any of my succulents in the ground.

Hey Kay, I have some of those Americana Agave. I got a couple plants from a freecycler, one is getting pretty big now. She keeps sending roots underground out into the pathway. Low and behold pups appear. I have to dig them and move them or share, otherwise they get trampled by me and if I sidestep and let them grow, they do have some sharp spikes on the tips of the blades.

You should come down sometime take some plants home that are proven to live in our zone.

Molly

Molly, I would love that! How far are you from PCB?

Kay, the atlas is somewhere in one of the cars so not sure of the distance.

You'd take I-10 to I-75 south to Gainesville. I'm about 20 miles from I-75 SW of Gainesville.

Pick a weekend and I will make sure I am not working. You want to stay over, I have a guest room.

Molly

You are about 5 hours from me. I can't take that long a drive right now. Thanks for the invitation, though.

You are welcome anytime, Kay.

:^)))

Thanks, Molly.

Longboat Key, FL

The stuff is settling in -- and we add a piece, here and there.

This is what it looks like.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

But, I confess -- it is difficult to ignore the zinnias at the nursery.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Luv that variegated agave Flyboy and yeah, can't resist those zinnias. That's okay, the agaves won't mind sharing some moisture.

Looking Good!!!!

Molly

Longboat Key, FL

Thanx Molly:

It's fun.

Be well

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.