Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Batter for Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 23, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6308288

Does anyone have a good batter for this? Like you'd get in a restaurant. There are lots out there but I've been disappointed in what I've tried. I like the ones that have a decent amount of batter, which probably have some kind of leavening in the batter, but not so much that it overwhelms the chicken. Thanks.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

March 29, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6333635

Wish I did. I believe baking powder is usual, but don't have any recipe...
found this which sounds about right----
batter:
1 c flour
4 T cornstarch
1 1/2 t baking powder
pinch salt
1 t oil
1 c water
To prepare the batter, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil and water. Mix until batter is smooth.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 29, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6335471

Thanks.
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

April 3, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6356767

I make a batter with 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup flour, and 1 beaten egg white. salt and pepper to taste and add enough beer to make a batter, before hand marinate the pork or chicken in 2 tbs of cornstarch and aboute four tbls. of soy dip the pork or chicken in the batter and deep fry.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 7:22 PM
andidandi
Arlington, VA

April 3, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6359377

Thanks allysgram! Hadn't thought of beer. I will give that a try.
-A
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6487503

If you are looking for the batter like Asian restaurants serve,it's called "tempura". My husband became hooked after being an exchange teacher in Japan.

This is the recipe I use:
25 -35 vegetable pieces
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups ice water
1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
In a large bowl place the egg yolks.
Add iced water gradually, stirring (preferably with hashi(chopsticks)) and blending well.
Add flour all at once, stir BRIEFLY; that is well enough to coat but leave the lumps and bumps!
To fry vegetables heat a large frying pan with a half-inch oil (or more if necessary) and heat on high.
Coat selected large vegetables in batter and fry for a minute or two on each side.

** You can use chicken, shrimp or pork instead of the vegetables, but I absolutely LOVE cauliflower done this way.**
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6493537

I do this too Mskatt except I use1 whole egg. The cauliflower is my favorite but zukes are a close second. I split them lengthwise, then into large chunks and deep fry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America