Batter for Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork?

Does anyone have a good batter for this? Like you'd get in a restaurant. There are lots out there but I've been disappointed in what I've tried. I like the ones that have a decent amount of batter, which probably have some kind of leavening in the batter, but not so much that it overwhelms the chicken. Thanks.

Clarkson, KY

Wish I did. I believe baking powder is usual, but don't have any recipe...
found this which sounds about right----
batter:
1 c flour
4 T cornstarch
1 1/2 t baking powder
pinch salt
1 t oil
1 c water
To prepare the batter, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil and water. Mix until batter is smooth.

Thanks.

Sedalia, MO

I make a batter with 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup flour, and 1 beaten egg white. salt and pepper to taste and add enough beer to make a batter, before hand marinate the pork or chicken in 2 tbs of cornstarch and aboute four tbls. of soy dip the pork or chicken in the batter and deep fry.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 7:22 PM

Thanks allysgram! Hadn't thought of beer. I will give that a try.
-A

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

If you are looking for the batter like Asian restaurants serve,it's called "tempura". My husband became hooked after being an exchange teacher in Japan.

This is the recipe I use:
25 -35 vegetable pieces
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups ice water
1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
In a large bowl place the egg yolks.
Add iced water gradually, stirring (preferably with hashi(chopsticks)) and blending well.
Add flour all at once, stir BRIEFLY; that is well enough to coat but leave the lumps and bumps!
To fry vegetables heat a large frying pan with a half-inch oil (or more if necessary) and heat on high.
Coat selected large vegetables in batter and fry for a minute or two on each side.

** You can use chicken, shrimp or pork instead of the vegetables, but I absolutely LOVE cauliflower done this way.**

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I do this too Mskatt except I use1 whole egg. The cauliflower is my favorite but zukes are a close second. I split them lengthwise, then into large chunks and deep fry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images