Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Need Advice on Slicing Geodes Please Help

Mesilla Park, NM

This weekend we are going to look for Geodes and I was wanting to slice them. I have a wet saw for tile, can someone tell me if that will work? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to use these slices in a stained glass project if I can slice them myself, since I need a whole bunch of them. This is one of the projects that I started, but the next one will need several geode slices.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

in general, agates are cut on saws using either a mineral oil or MAYBE propylene glycol based coolants/lubricants. The type of winterizing stuff used in campers. NOT auto antifreeze. That suff is deadly to mammals even in small amounts so breathing it's vapors is ill-advised. You 'might' be able to cut small agates with a tile saw and water, but the blade will probably not last long. If you want to try it, use some glue (maybe epoxy or silicon sealer) to attach the rock to a piece of wood (scrap 2x4 or ???) and feed the rock in slowly enough to prevent sparking. 'Sawing' rocks is really a grinding process with a very narrow grindstone so don't get in a rush.

best bet is to use the link I posted and find a local club that may know a member that can cut to rocks for you. Keep in mind also that the slices will not be polished. That is an entirely different procedure. Though a thorough cleaning followed by a spray with urethane or other clear finish can look almost as good as a true polish, that is not likely to withstand the soldering. You mah need to mask the glass off and spray the slices after assembly.

check here;http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939134/

hope this is helpful

Carl

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 7:44 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 7:58 AM

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you so very much for the information.. After reading on polishing, etc.. I may be better off buying some more that are already done. Only thing is, I was hoping to get some of the same rock to keep the design consistent.

It is a great idea to use a clear finish... but boy, those polished ones are just so much better. I was looking at the prices of rock saws but then it appears I would need a polisher also, maybe in time I can get these items. I do have a couple of grinders for stained glass and about 4 rock tumblers still in their boxes for a couple of years that I have been waiting to mount on something before I use them but there hasn't been an opportunity to set them up.

I occasionally read the threads here, but know absolutely nothing about rocks really, except the I love them, and collected them as a child. Now after retiring I was hoping to get involved in Rock hounding and find others like me around here.

This weekend DH and I will go to Rockhound State Park in Deming.. I've been wanting to do that since we moved here.

Thank you for the information and I'll try to find the link up there here in the threads, do you by chance know what the title of the thread was, the link did not work.

Thank you again for being so gracious and responding.
A.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rockhound State Park was a great experience for me. When I was there good specimens were easy to acquire. Of coarse, that was back when rocks and minerals first captured my heart (early 70's). Hope your experience is rewarding.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I'm so excited... I was wondering what kind of tools I need to take beside a good hammer... I'm thinking my son and his family may like to go with us.

I've got some neat rocks here in my yard from some of the rocks used in the rockwalls here and they were from a quarry in El Paso and some were quarried here.. they have holes and crystals in them ... I'll take photos this week and post them, I've separated them and use them around the cactus garden for support and decoration..

A.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

depending on the material you think you will recover and the terrain, either cheap,strong backpacks or 5 gallon busckets are good. A coupla spray bottles of water can hel confirn coloful rocks. Army surplus folding shovel maybe - usually, good stuff can be found without any special equipment. After a rain can sometimes be good too - especially for spotting arrowheads and shark's teeth and crystals - even better if it's morning or late evening, look for sunlight reflecting off them.

Of course, normal desert tramping precautions are in order; hat, sunscreen, snake awareness etc.

Carl

Mesilla Park, NM

We do have a Army folding shovel and the rest too... I can do this! Back packs too.

THANK you so much for this information. You know, I killed a rattle snake once, when I was a young mom..lol, it took me forever to kill the darned thing, but I'm not afraid of them that is for sure, it took me a long time to kill it because all i had was a long 2x4 piece of wood at the time, but I knew I had to kill it because my son was 2 years old and played in that area.. hopefully I'll never have to go thru that again..lol.

so, now I'll start getting our equipment ready for Saturday.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Gourd, just do not put your hand or foot somewhere that haven't u looked with your eyes first. If you give animals a chance, they will try to leave. But anything warm like a hand or foot 'seems' just like a rodent to pit vipers.

start on page 131 of this pdf document too for some ideas for field trips;

http://www.missourigeologists.org/Min-Loc2-2005.pdf

oh yeah, you're near El Paso so, Texas starts on page 52 here;
http://www.missourigeologists.org/Min-Loc3-2005.pdf

and tons of possible info in these messages;
http://www.rockhounds.com./cgi-bin/rocknet/message_search.cgi

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 1:42 PM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 1:50 PM

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh boy, those will be neat sites to research, the first one did not link for me, so I'll type the name in.. it said DNS server something or other..

THANK you so very much for all the links.

A

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

those should cause your pdf viewer to come up. I use Foxit ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/ ) it uses less memory than Adobe, loads a little faster and doesn't pester you for updates constantly.

but Adobe reader will work too.

carl

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, it came up the second time I tried it, very interesting site..

Thank you again,

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images