-
AuthorContent
April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6313816

It is a lovely day here in Hawkesbury, On. 4 outside and sunny. It is 29 in my greenhouse and all looks well, however I lost all of my Brugs. Does anyone happen to have too many cuttings that they might send me if I supply a sase?

Thanks and a very good growing season to you all.
April
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6314026

I would, but mine were lost over the winter as well. I think as I don't have a GH, I'll wait to get more until I have a suitable place to overwinter them. Good luck on your quest though.

Linda in Victoria

Thumbnail by MG99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 24, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6314360

You mean, you can't winter them in the house??? Yikes, says me, who just started 10 seeds...
April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6317183

I over winter them in a cold room because I had so many but the soil must have been to wet when I put them to bed. I tried overwintering when I only had one but had a big problem with aphids.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6327829

You can overwinter them in a cool greenhouse BUT you can't let them get to freezing levels. They must be dry when they go in and water sparingly. It's best to take cuttings of all of them, bring them into the house, in a cooler room and overwinter them there. Buy some concentrated Neem oil, dilute it as per instructions and spray with that. I have been overwintering brugs for many, many years, so many I can't count now. Sometimes I lose a few, but not many. I am also very fortunate to have a conservatory too, but it's full of orchids, brugs, tropicals etc.

For those of you who remember my Boxer, Oscar, he passed away at the end of November. It was a sad day but he lived much longer than anyone expected. Last Saturday I picked up Beau from a breeder on Galiano Island. He's 8 week old boxer baby.

Thumbnail by brugcrazy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6328002

Thanks for the info I am sorry to hear of Oscar's passing. I am sure you gave him a wonderful life and I hope you enjoy the new addition to your family.

cheers
April
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6329008

OMG, is that the definition of puppy-dog-eyes, or what? He's lovely.

Sandy
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6332271

So sorry to hear about Oscar, Jean. He was a sweetie. Although you can never replace him, the very adorable Beau will no doubt will give you many years of fun and companionship. Enjoy!
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6337051

He's a cutie all right and a lot of work. LOL. We are having fun but I'm not getting a lot else accomplished.
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6350678

I am so very sorry to hear about Oscar, Jeanne, I remember the weekend of the round up when you "camped" at my place and how Oscar had separation anxiety problems - he was lovely anyway ! The new puppy looks just as adorable !
Heather
PS How is Rob doing ?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6354682

Rob is doing well. How are you doing?

Both the Victoria RU and the Denman RU were fun, weren't they? Someone needs to plan another one. The Denman Garden Tour is back this year but it's Mothers Day weekend instead of Father's Day weekend. They're only go to do it every other year.
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6355120

I am surprised the Denman Island tour is on Mother's Day weekend as the Conservatory of Music tour is always on that weekend in Victoria as well and that's a biggy.
I may be looking for brug cuttings myself this year as I got a bit too blase last fall and didn't take enough care when putting them to bed for the winter. It looks like all the ones in the garage are goners and only the two in the greenhouse and one in the house have survived. Some of the ones in the garage may come back from the roots but it will be October before I see any blooms from them !
Heather
(DH says I had too many anyway - what does he know LOL !)
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6355676

that is strange that they'd have it the same weekend, someone wasn't paying attention.

Heather, I may have some brug cuttings in a few weeks, I'll trim some of them back before they go outside.
April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

April 2, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6355860

I am jealous that brugcrazy is talking about putting plants outside. It will be awhile before I can do that. Right now I will have to be content with the plants in the greenhouse. Heather, are you saying that my brugs might come back from the roots?
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6356187

April, I put my brugs in my unheated garage after digging them up in the fall and most of them survive the winter (remember that I am on Vancouver island) but it has been exceptionally cold this year and when I scrape the bark, there is no green showing. The pots did not freeze however so I have high hopes of them coming back from the roots (it has happened before).
Jeanne, what are April's chances of having her brugs return from the roots ?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6356649

It depends how cold and wet they got. If they got too wet and rotted, no chance. I have left brugs outside in the ground all winter here ( Vancouver Island) and had them come back from the roots BUT as Heather says, they don't bloom until October. I have brugs blooming in the greenhouse now and in the conservatory. Usually I put them out the end of April, middle of May but who knows this year. Everything is much cooler. I will probably have some cuttings, not rooted to share. I don't have nearly as many as I used to as they took up way too much room but I still have at least 40-50. I have expanded my orchid collection. It's doing great. They're in the kitchen window and in the conservatory. I think I have 40+ orchids now and quite a few hoyas.
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6357434

Any pictures, Jeanne ?
April4ON
Hawkesbury, ON
(Zone 4b)

April 3, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6360209

Thanks for the help guys. I put my brugs in the cold room and I know that they didn't freeze. I forgot to give them a sip of water now and then. As in Heather's case there is no green when I scape the bark. I will cross my fingers.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2009 12:38 PM
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6370390

I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I have time.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6489029

April

I will have a few brug cuttings available. D-mail me on Monday, I'm off for the weekend.

Heather

Do you want any?

Linda- how about you?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America