Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 149 It's time to play in the dirt!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 212, Views: 2,433
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6316608

Old thread was getting long, so here we go!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963011/

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Click the image for an enlarged view.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6316634

Goodmorning! Wet here...rain last night and lots of fog this morning and pretty darn chilly!

Bonnie, thanks for the invite, but I will only be home 2 or 3 days and don't know how much work I've got in store for me.

(((Dusty))) and (((Marcy)))...I agree about burying the hatchet. Miss you both!

Okay, this is my test... ^_^
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6316652

WhooHoo! I did it! ^_^
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6316689

G'mornin' Robin! Did you say y'all were coming back to KY soon? How long will you be home?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6316779

yeah smiley faces :)
but i like the old school style LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6316811

I'm coming back by myself to just check on things for just 2-3 days. Haven't been home since we left in January before the ice storm and power outage. Our alarm system is on wireless connection and has battery backup, so hopefully, it stayed on during the outage. The water company had gone out and shut my water off for me. They said the meter wasn't turning, so hopefully no busted pipes from the freeze and heat tape being off. The gold fish pond had a heater in it, which I need to take out. Don't know if the pond was deep enough and/or the fish hardy enough to survive without the heater for the 2 weeks it was off. It will probably be too soon to determine if we lost any (or how many) ornamental plants. This job will be done sometime around June and should be able to stay home for a couple of months. Yeah!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6317074

Good morning all. So sorry to have dissrupted the forum. Please forgive me.
I guess it just hit me wrong.
Dave and I went to the eye dr yesterday. It was not a good day. We both have to see opthamalogists. I have cataracts...and he may have glaucoma. His pressures were very high. I have been after him for a long time to get in there...but like most of us, he thinks he is invincible. Both his parents had glaucoma...so he has a good chance of getting it. The good thing is..it is controlable with drops if caught in time.
And it's nothing anymore to getting a cataract removed...so I'm not worried about that. I was surprised to hear that I had them on both eyes though. Only one eye is blurry. Guess one is not as advanced as the other. I don't go for evaluation until May. Dave goes next week.
Just another day in the life of the 'old people'...LOL. You know...STUFF happens!
Well..it's raining here...and we sure do need it! Everything is so dry.
A friend of mine on another program, who lives near Circleville, Ohio, just had a woods fire near his home. He lives in the country. The woods behind his house had 33 acres burned two nights ago. It got within a quarter mile of his house. He was quite concerned! And I don't blame him! I'll see if I can put the picture he took on here.
Well...guess I best get busy here. Things to do today.
Again...I apologize to the forum.
Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6317216

No need to apologize, we all have those moments we wish we could take back. ((hugs)) couldn't have you gone for too long.

Now Dusty, get your self back too.

Raining here, and am doing laundry and some things inside. We need the rain, but I don't need to pick the jobs to accomplish inside.

Back later.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6317247

Glad to see you Marcy. :o) ^_^

And everyone else too, for that matter!

Morning all!

Meant to get up at 6:30 to be ready for my dad to get here at 7:30. Bill woke me at 7:00 and said, "What time did you want to get up?" So a very FAST shower, needed to wash my hair and that always takes a few minutes longer, but with s swipe at makeup and the blow dryer to just my bangs, I was ready when he got here at 7:30. His appt. was for 8:00 in Springboro, and lord knows it doesn't take a half hour to get there, but that's one thing about my folks, they don't EVER want to be late for anything. That's his 3rd and final acupuncture for a while (at least a month) but he got the name of a surgeon and will probably go see him for at least a consult.

The friends that we travel with and eat out with a lot had a rude awakening in the wee hours yesterday morning. Mark's dad had an aneurysm and by the time they got to Miami Valley he was gone. He was 81 years old. Sad thing is, he's to be buried Friday, Mark's birthday. :O(

So with Jim's Mom, and now Mark's Dad, I wonder who will be number 3.

Okay, I'm ready to post some pictures!

Here is the beginning of the pond build.

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6317252

After a couple days..

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6317258

This one shows a little more pond detail after a couple days...wanted you to see one of the spot inspectors above...

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6317267

And this was yesterday. Only a couple more feet to go, but now the rain is here, so there will be a "rain delay"!

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6317277

Now I need your help.

As most of you know, this garden was brand new last year. Unfortunately, I can't remember what I planted where and I didn't mark it. Somethings, I know, but this lovely little thing is coming up and I don't know what it is. It looks like a sedum, but it isn't that, I'm sure. Anyone know what this cutie is?

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6317287

And this? George gave it to Dusty last year, and she doesn't know what it is. Does anyone recognize this leaf?

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6317295

Marcy, meant to say that they always think I have glaucoma, but I don't. I guess I have unusually high pressure. Every so often, I have to go have the test, just to make sure. Hope everything goes well for you two.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6317433

Thanks Joyce.
That first picture looks like a sedum for sure. The second one looks like a daisy of some kind. My opinion...and we ALL know how opinions are like other parts of us...LOL!!! We ALL have one!!!

Ohhh and Joyce...I have severe envy of that pond. Lookin' gooddddddd!!!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 11:46 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 11:47 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6317470

I know it looks like a sedum, but I'm almost positive it isn't.

You can come visit the pond any time you like. ^_^

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6317536

Here is a picture of it from last year, it's behind that red snap dragon

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6317543

Anyway, it reminded me of what it was. Varieagated Loosestife!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6317574

I couldn't see where you were talking about in the picture? Pretty pic though.
Alright...variegated loosestrife...have never seen it. I have the gooseneck kind..plain green. Love it ...but that stuff runs EVERYWHERE!!!! And yeah..it does look like a certain sedum...but it looks like regular loosestrife too...lol.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6317589

I used to have it in the pond, in a pot and it behaved itself. I have some regular, too. I think I have the pinky/purple one...Bertie has two colors and I'm hoping for a start of the other color this year. So far they have both been well behaved. I'll keep an eye on them though, cause I do know they're thugs if they're happy!

Actually that was NOT a good picture of it at all. Looked through all of them and didn't have a good one. :O(
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6317664

Variegated Loosestrife was going to be my guess. It's not aggressive like some of them.

The 2nd pic looks like a Helebore.

That pond is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see pics of the progression!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6317756

Helebore it is. It was a seedling from the lady I worked for last summer. Just a regular nice green foliage with white greenish blooms. The seedlings were not where she wanted them. Hers where huge.
George

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6318131

Nice pond there Cookie . Can't wait to see it done .
Marcy !!! I m so glad to see you. No worries on it. We missed you :(
not much here
i should be vacuming but i m just not in the mood. :P
I cleaned out my vacum LOL never really thought of doing that :) Ha. Duh.
i need a new filter , been several years. I hope they still make them ?
hugs
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6318180

Joyce, when you said "pond", i pictured a small pond like most folks have... but yours is almost deep/wide enough for a SWIMMIN' HOLE!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6318465

LOL! Funny you should say that Darius. Bill is threatening to put those buoy lines across the middle so we'll know where the deep end starts! Koi should be happy...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6318789

Afternoon all...Rather a gloomy and rainy day here, which suits my mood perfectly...

I had to take Jim to the VA clinic for his bloodwork at 10 am, and have been on the phone the entire day since then trying to settle disputes, between him, his younger sister, and the baby brother over what and how is to be done with his Mothers remains...Mikes wife Sandy and I banded together, and told all of them how it should be, and by the time she glared at Mike, and I glared at Jim, we had a 2 out of 3 vote and shut the sister up...so we shall see what happens...I called the mortuary in Celina, and they are now in touch with the one in Texas...Jim has a hard time on the phone understanding everything, so unfortunately it fell in my lap and Sandys to control the riot...Sonnie unfortunately ticked off both brothers yesterday with her high handedness, and by last night conversations between the boys and then her, were getting downright mean...I just do not understand why things like that happen when someone dies...Those of us on the outside edge of it can usually only stand back and helplessly watch the chaos...It's really sad...They have all known his Mothers wishes since his father died in 1986...Why the turmoil now, I have no clue...

Oh well...I got a clean kitchen out of it...Nothing like scrubbing to soothe the frustration...I guess it worked for Jim too...He spent the afternoon in the basement away from the phones, cleaning the last of the foam backing off of the floor where we removed the carpet, and patching the cement around the floor sewer cleanout pipe... He carried down my laundry basket, and I am guessing that will be next on his list...

That's enough of my depressing day... I hope you all had a much better one...

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6319056

(((Dusty and Jim))) It is a shame that the death or looking out for the best interest of a loved one brings out the worst in some people, but it's fairly common. One of my brothers got mad at me in-between my Dad's death and my Mom going into a nursing home because we wouldn't consider a nursing home she could not afford for very long and did not accept medicaid patients, so she would have had to be moved to another facility after a few months. He passed away a few years later without us ever talking again.

Well, nothing new since this morning, except it just started thundering and raining. Have a good night all!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6319145

family are crazy . I know mine is. I shiver the thought of how my parents son ( my brother ,but i prefer not to call him that ) are going to handle it all. THey have everthing written down and sorted out ect... but i m sure there son ! will be a jerk about it all. So be it . He can have it all !!!! for all i care . Yeah we don't talk there son and I LOL
Dusty sorry to hear all the crud going on with Jim and his family. Not a good time to do any hateful things/say to one another. Sorry to hear it . T&P for you and Jim.
T's aunt funeral is friday . SHe was a person that collected everything !!! scary. We might offer our help to sort her things . Uncle isn't in the best shape and health. THere kids are ok and will help i m sure but one never knows do they ?
not much here , cleaning day it was and my back is soar.
msrobin ain't that just crazy ? ! why would he do that ? crazy hmmm
ttyl
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6319947

The Food Thread is up.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967393/

Spring RU Trade Thoughts

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967395/

Spring RU Confirmed Trades List

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967396/

Ric

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 8:40 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6320176

OK Gang all the threads (I think) for the RU are up.

This year I tried something different.
There is one thread for trading and another for confirmed trades.
Hopefully this will make it easier to keep track of things.

First stake a place at the table in Food and Confirmed threads.
Then re-edit your staked post as needed.

For those not familiar w/ RU's here's a taste.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860306/

There will be food, plants and just the best people you will ever meet.
Think of it as a Family Reunion... but you get to pick your Family!

For those of you who are shy... and we have quite a few... take a chance...you will not regret it.
Those of you who WERE shy...please speak up and help me out here.

Nothing and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing is needed to attend but your own sweet self.
The main thing here is for you to be here and meet and greet.

We do need to get the word out.
Time to DMail the missing and let them know.

Sorry this sounds so formal...
You know that Ain't Me Talking just the Job so...

Be it resolved:
Whereas the check beith in the Mail...
thus enduth my Official Posts...

Hugs!
Ric

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6320286

Thanks Ric for your administrative Duties. You did them well. I think that you need to notify roadrunner, as she lists the RU's on the calendar of events. That way maybe some who don't get here often will see it over there.

If you have never taken in a RU, then you are missing out. My favorte part is meeting new people, and connecting again with those I have met before. And I don't have to sit at a computer and type my messages!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6320308

Thanks Bonnie I'll get in touch w/ Jo.

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6321600

Goodmorning, SleepyHeads! I'm sure by the time I finish typing though, someone will have posted.

The spring peepers/frogs are starting to get on my nerves. It's like listening to a dripping faucet. Wouldn't be so bad, if there was just a handful, but I swear there must be 100's out there!

Appreciate the RU info, Ric. Loved viewing last year's thread! Don't know if we'll be back home by then, but if we are, I'm sure gonna try to come up there.

Sue, how's the family doing? Any signs of improvements?

Nothing else new. Taking the male half of our roommate couple to the airport this afternoon so he can can go back to NC and drive back with McKenzy. WhooHoo! Got the house to ourselves for 3 1/2 days! Just getting too old for the roommate thing.

Later, Robin
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6321688

Good morning everyone.
Well..guess I missed those plants all the way around Joyce!
Those hellibore leaves DO look like my daisy leaves though.
Neal...I need to know when you want me to take rose cuttings? My roses are not out in leaf yet,...and not sure they will be? They sure do look pretty dead this year! I am hoping they are only still dormant. Do you want me to take cuttings now..or wait? Doesn't matter to me..just let me know.
Up early to go to Grandparent's day at DGS's pre-school. Should be fun!
You all have a great day.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6321720

Oh, Marcy, if you have a chance, I would love some ZD cuttings. I'm not sure if these are going to rebound or not, but even if they do, I can still use more!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6321814

I was wondering why I hadn't had any updates...Guess it helps if you post to a new thread! LOL

I took some more shots yesterday while Nolan was napping. We'd just returned from running errands. I'll put others on the baby thread.

This little track suit and hat cracked me up. I pulled his hands away from his face and he looked like a little rapper which made me think of that song "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)". LOL Yeah, the mind works in mysterious ways...

Thumbnail by Badseed

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6321897

Marcy, I've been reading about people having good luck with cuttings taken about now, just before new growth starts. If the canes are green and don't look shriveled they should be good. I think I let those you brought me last year get too hot in their little covered containers- I'd forgotten the morning sun would hit them where I had them..grrrr...As soon as its convenient would be great.

..and I have a question for you and Darius about the Quinces: would it be ok to bring them to the RU? There are plenty of smaller ones that would be easy enough to send in the mail, but I've got some nice ones dug already that I'm having trouble finding a box to fit. And with these warm days the buds are swelling rapidly. I can bring bigger, nicer ones in pots. Good grief, there's a bunch of them out there!

Darius, I've got wintersown Leek sprouts! Out of 130 containers sown with all kinds of things, 56 of them are germinating.

Dusty, so sorry to hear of all the bickering, so draining and frustrating. Seems grief brings out the worst in so many folks. ((((Jim&Dusty)))))

Geez Ric! so uptight and formal, Dude..loosen that tie, LOL Silliness aside, all sounds good :-)

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6321908

AAAAhhhhhh...so perfect he is! His hands look huge! I think BamBam may have been prophetic, LOL.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6322059

Neal, Yay on the WS leeks! Did those sprout from the seeds I sent? I still have some to send to Europe... I forgot all about that trade. :(

As for the quince, please bring mine to the RU. I ordered a tiny orange/apple quince from ForestFarms. It will probably be about a 6" seedling that I won't see a leaf on for 3 years, LOL. My grandma used to make delicious guava paste, guava jelly, etc. and since I cannot grow guavas here (tropicals), quince is a good second.

I suppose I did okay on the census test yesterday, won't know for 5 days. There were 18 of us, so no interview. They didn't tell me it was for a back-up list, and that all the enumerators, crew leaders and supervisors have already been hired. Training starts Monday. I should have been on that list... the slots were to be filled by test score order and I scored very high on the January test. I'm trying to find out why I was passed over... heads may roll. (Don't mess with a [once] red-headed scorpio woman!)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6322090

Neal, you said "Seems grief brings out the worst in so many folks. " I agree! I think people feel powerless in their grief, so turn to micromanagement of arrangements because that's something that, in their minds, they can control.

It's a rainy, dreary day here, but lots of birds are chirping and singing. We're looking forward to seeing Heywood Banks Saturday evening. This week's going too quickly for me. Other than that, not a whole lot to report.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6322119

Is that the Big Butter Jesus guy?

Ugly here too! I told hubby I'd love to fight him for chicken duty but just couldn't get the words to come out of my mouth. LOL

It is nice to step outside. The frogs are all vocal and the birds are mating and I have bulbs up and blooming. The daylily gardens are starting to turn green and look less like a cemetery!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6322134

Chele, Nolan is preciouos. Good sized hands, does that mean a football player? Do the girls have him all the time? Bet he doesn't lack for attenion.

Dusty sorry that all the bickering is going on. Seems to me that she had let her wishes be known, and that should be the end of it.

msrobin, last night the peepers were really chiming in here. Then this morning when I went out to get the paper, the birds were singing loudly too. Glad that they don't "talk" at the same time!!

Marcy, I am seeing things coming up, and wondering what I put there. I am just gonna watch, and when they get bigger, maybe I can ID, if not, I will be posting pictures too.

Neal or Marcy, does taking cuttings now apply to all woody plants? I have a forsythia I would like to try, and wondered if it would be a good time to do it.

Well, not anything planned for today, and good thing, it is raining again, so outside work is out of the question, but I can't get enthused about inside work either. Maybe it is a "do nothing" day.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6322245

LOL I answered my own question! He does the "Toast" song too which totally cracks me up!

Thanks defoe! When Nolan popped out, the Dr said he had big hands. I started laughing and said most of my kids had big feet too. We all looked and sure enough!

No football team in Lynchburg! No wrestling either. Those weren't big concerns when we moved here with six girls. LOL

The girls start fighting for him as soon as they hit the door. :)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6322503

Kimberly, I've often thought that very thing. I remember family freaking out over little things like a dish or not being able to find an earring or something during times of loss. I think the mind focuses on things it can wrap itself around.

Darius, yep, these are the seeds you sent :-) I'll pot those Quince up for ya- they'll bypass a year or two of waiting.

Bonnie, it depends on the particular plant, but Forsythia root easily, so this is probably a good time. I've had stems root in water that I'd brought in for cut flowers. They also layer easily. Are you wanting to propagate them for yourself? I've still got loads of them from where these have layered themselves, I can bring you all you want.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6322598

Neal, yes I wanted some on the other side of the yard. If you have plenty, that would be easier, for me at least.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6322719

I guess it's human nature. I know if I'm worried or upset about something I can't do much of anything about, it's easy for me to focus on some small annoyance in my life. Like laying awake worrying, and focusing on a dog several houses away barking. Any other night, I wouldn't even hear it, but when I'm worried, it's all I hear.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6322892

Afternoon all...So far a rather peaceful day, albiet a rainy one...Temp keeps yoyo-ing from 44 to 42 and back up again...Now it's 45* and it looks like the sun is trying to find a way through the clouds...

I can't work outside, and don't want to work inside, so I'm with Bons, and makeing it a do nothing day...I may get a wild hair and decide to cook something or bake something, but as clean as my kitchen is now, I don't want to mess it up, so that may not happen either... LOL

If I can get my spouse to drill the hole in this little cabinet top to hold the base of my Ott light, I may do some work on my crewel embroidery...

Neal, you are so right about the dish and the earring thing...That was the case with my Grandmother...I blessedly stayed in my Semi on the road til the day of the funeral, and left immediately after...If you could have seen the filthy looks going on between her two children During the funeral services, you would have been shocked...
The air was electric...It was absolutely disgusting...

In Jims Mothers case, it is only about her remains, and that disgusts me even more...She remarried 2 yrs after his Dad died, and when Carl died, he was interred in Iowa next to his first wife, and Jims Mom said she didn't want the expense of a funeral like his or Jims Dads...She wanted to be cremated, and her ashes interred in her grave space next to Dads...The big argument started when Sonnie said she would bring her ashes up **Sometime this summer, when we come up to Toledo to see our kids, and *drop them off* in Celina on our way up..**
Ohhhhhhh lordy...The roof came off here, and in Alexandria, KY at Mikes at the same time, and it was a warzone for the rest of the day...
Sandy and I managed to get the boys to agree to have the mortuary down in Texas, ship the cremains to the mortuary in Celina, so they can be interred by Dad immediately...and IF they decide they want any kind of memorial service later on, one can be arranged...But there wouldn't be anyone but the 3 of them and maybe some of the grandkids, as Mom has been full time in Tx since 1974...There are no friends etc. left up here...Geeeesh...It was the *drop them off* comment that hit the boys so bad...and I have to admit, it did sound rather callous to me also...Sonnies bloomers are in a twist, because it is going to cost extra to do that, but as Sandy and I patiently tried to explain to her, it was not HER money that was paying for it...Ah wellll...She can get glad in the same britches she got mad in...It's settled, done and over with, and the cremains will be shipped tomorrow...Sonnie got Moms house and contents and jewelry, and any money left after burial expenses is to be divided equally down to the penny...She also got her car, but that was several years ago when she put Mom into the nursing home...I am seriously doubtful, there is much, if any, money left as Sonnies name was on Moms checkbook...LOL Maybe that's why she didn't want the added expense...LOL

Ah welllll...on to bigger, better and brighter subjects...

Speaking of Bigger...Master Nolan reminds me of Whitney when she was a baby...We called her Hildegard Hamhocker with her thighs...LOL
He sure is a beautiful baby Michele, but then you already know that... LOL

((((Neal))))... if you have an extra, I would love to try a quince...Not like there is no place here to plant one...LOL
Thanks for the hugs sweet man...we needed 'em...;-))

Bons...Cookie, for some unknown reason, hates forsythia, and set Bro Bill on a path of destruction along the fence row between here and Berties...Either they are most persistant, or he did a lousy job, because I have LOTS of them hiding along there and they are blooming...If you want some, I will try to get some for you...I happen to adore the things, and am keeping Bro away from that fence row...LOL

Okay, I am off to find the drill...You all have a wonderful afternoon...

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6322925

Neal...I'm not sure yet of being at the roundup...but bring it anyway...lol.
I guess what I was saying about the roses is...everything is BROWN...so far. I will look again soon...when it stops raining. Somehow..I don't think brown cuttings are gonna grow?
Ok...had a great time at the grandparent's day. Dawson was his usual ornery self...lol.
He reminds so much of his daddy at that age!! My youngest son! Not in looks so much..but the way he acts...and his short attention span. Hopefully, he will grow out of that. Jim did...well...pretty much...lol.
We had our picture taken with him...and put into a frame he made ...to put on the fridge of course! I scanned it. Now let me see if I can get it here!
Ok...hope it works!
Ok..well it didn't work. I will work on it.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 1:39 PM
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

March 26, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6323107

Hello grouplings. S'been a while since I dropped in but looks like things are going as-usual for most of you.

i'm up in the bedroom, hiding from the chaos downstairs. Was sick in bed for a week and when I went downstairs it looked like a bomb had gone off! Tried to get the kitchen back on line and I kept backing into stuff, stepping in stuff, tripping on stuff, I phreaqued!!!!!, gave a dying soul yell, grabbed a sppon(sppon? *snerk * make that SPOON.), a can of eagle brand milk and a can opener and now I'm back in bed, hiding.

Of course none of this is near as important as coping with family freak-outs and dying relatives. I hope that settles down for those of you coping with them soon.

Neal, what kind of quince do you have? I've got one here that had to've been planted when they built the house a hundred years ago as the roots (and suckers) volunteer all over the yard, miles from the parent plant. I could let all the suckers grow and forget cutting the grass. Of course I could also forget having a yard then. I'd have a solid, 300' wide quince thicket. Mine (don't laugh) is a TEXAS quince.

Whoever posted that photo of the fire in Circleville THANK YOU! We were on our way to a Dr appt in Columbus and passed that while it was raging off in the distance--YOOGE plume of black smoke, I thought it was a TIRE fire!!!--and never did hear what it was that caught fire and what finally became of it. Though a fire like that's never good news, I am glad no people got hurt...er, no people got hurt, right?

MsRobin, please don't badmouth the dear little peepers. There's some (and not so far away, either) who miss the peepers so much they play them continually on a little cd-playing boombox stereo in the bedroom. Listening to them as I type, as a matter of fact. Gawd, but I miss livin' in the country!!!

Who was it worrying about their goldfish/koi freezing? Or wondering why they didn't freeze because the heater malfunctioned or something? So long as your pond is 18" deep or more they can winter over just fine. Carp are a cold water fish anyway and don't want a heater, even in winter. In fact, if you put a heater in, you have to feed them all winter or they'll starve, so it's just as well the heater didn't work. You can have them in warmer water, but it revvs up their metabolism and ultimately shortens their life some.

defoecat, grab some branches from that forsythia and bend them down to the soil and park a car tyre on 'em or something. It'll root. There's no stopping forsythia. I had a little rise I wanted to plant something bushy on in my yard, so my husband who has ADD+OCD would be forced to quit trying to mow it at a dead run (it was either that or find the insurance policies and lay them out where I could find them at a moment's notice!) I planted a couple or three cheap store-bought forsythias at the brow of the little hill and let 'em go without pruning and they naturally cascaded down the hill rooting themselves as they went. Few years later: no more grass and the DH lives to spread chaos in my little kingdom another year. YAY! er, sorta.

...now if I could come up with a clever way to get him to stop pacing, picking stuff up and dropping stuff in weird places without noticing he's doing it when he's on the phone... * sigh * Melis

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 2:34 PM
valrita

March 26, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6323135

Eagle Brand milk? Hee hee. I did that once. Never again. Didn't feel so good after.
Hope you're feeling better now.

Prayers for all who are hitting rough times.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6323144

Melis...good to see u again! As far as I know...no people were hurt in that fire, but it sure did burn some trees! 33 acres worth! My friend was so worried about his house!
I would have been outa there! We had a field fire once when we lived on the farm.
We were buring weeds. There was NO wind. And all of a sudden...there WAS wind! That fire took off...faster than I don't know what! Hubby, son and I couldn't do anything to stop it. Called the local FD. They arrived with a sprayer truck...and never even stopped when they came in...just went to it! Thank God! It came within inches of our two barns!
We never did that again! Everyone burns around here...but not us! That was sooo scary.
Well...can't seem to figure out how to get the scanned pic to where I can send it ? Something I am not seeing I guess. Oh well.
Hope you are feeling better Melis!
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

March 26, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6323148

Eagle Brand's the first thing I bought with my first paycheck. mineminemineminemine...couldn't even wait until I got home either. opened it with a beer bottle opener and slurped it walking home--well, 16 and didn't drive y'know.

40 years later, and I haven't changed a bit! (if you don't count the waistline!!!)--Melis
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

March 26, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6323166

I had that happen once to me too, Marcy. I got it out before the fireguys arrived. Had a hose nearby already hooked up.

Didn't stop me though. I even got a permit to burn here in town, though I don't use it for trash. It's a marshmallow fire. Yep, strictly recreational.

That's muh story and I'm stickin' to it. Yup, yup.--M
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6323886

Bonnie, there are a bunch of forsythias well rooted out there, so I'll bring you some. How many can you use there?

Dusty, yes, lots of Quinces too. Happy to bring ya one :-) (or perhaps 3, 2 for good pollination, and 1 just in case)

Melessa, these are fruiting Quince. I've got the coral colored flowering quince too, but the fruiting one doesn't appear to have those spreading stolons. I've got a bunch of those because at some point a large branch partially broke from the plant, laying on the ground. It rooted all along the branch, sort of creating a wall of Quince. Good grief, my flowering quince is coming up all over the place! I'm not sure how I'm going to contend with it.

Marcy, you're right, if the canes are brown, probably no life in them. Some years are worse for winter die back than others, and after a drought year I often see more of it. I sure do hope you can make it to the RU! But if not I put the Quinces in Ric's truck to take to ya, LOL.

OMG, I had a sudden plague of fungus gnats! We ran to Lowes and I resorted to malathion, there were millions of them!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6323895

Whew, Mel...glad you're feeling a little better...well enough to check out the kitchen anyway and pop in here! Did I forget to say the little peepers were pretty cool in the first few days? ^_^ It's when they started calling in all their buddies, that it started getting on my nerves. Probably wouldn't even bother me if they were in my yard at home and I had enough things to do during the day so I was actually tired at night. Thanks for the info on the goldfish. We sure thought we were doing a good thing with the heater in the fish pond! I had read where a small area needs to be open in the ice to let the gases escape. Guess we can put it away for when we get goats again. I was dreading the thought of going home to possibly floating fish, but sounds like we are safe, as the pond is 30"+ in the center bottom. We sure enjoyed them last summer.

Nothing else to say at the moment, so I'll check back in later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6324544

hey gang !
busy day
lots of running around
in St Paris this weekend will be the funeral and a service for the children of the fire. THe middle school will be the place.
I will go and make our donation.
Friday we have another funeral of T's aunt . Viewing is friday. then the funeral if following.
we have an auntie that is hospice but then the masonic home doesn't have a contract with that hospice group. ? sooooo we wait for them to get a hospice person for her . Yeah... grrrrr. Masonic home ! Nuff said . sorry if i offend .
darn it i didn't ge knee highs for the funeral tomorrow ACK that is going to be painful in them shoes. uhg.
sorry can't chat to long
but im pooped
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6324717

For Neal!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6324746

Marcy, don't worry too much about the fishies. We've used a stock tank heater for two winters now and the fish have been fine. In fact, they even bred over the winter last year! :) The one we have switches on when the water temp goes below 60 degrees; mind you that's up near the surface since it's a floating heater, so the deeper portions of the pond stay a little cooler than that.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6324792

Ric, wow, I don't think my lilies are up that high. But I am going to post a picture of my magic lilies and my sedum that I took on Sunday.

Thumbnail by defoecat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6324800

The sedum

Thumbnail by defoecat

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6324810

DH and I clean up pretty good,don't ya think?

Thumbnail by defoecat

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6325211

Aww, that's a great picture of you two! :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6325224

Great picture Bonnie!
Kimberley, I think you have me mixed up with someone...I don't have a pond or fish! Wish I did!
Ok...I figured out how to get the picture here...I think!
It scanned crooked...but that's ok...lol!

Oh shoot..it's blurry???? It's not really. Hmmmmm.
Oh well...I guess you get the idea anyway...!
Night all.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 11:07 PM

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6325297

Marcy, what a cute picture. I know that you will cherish it forever.

Off to bed, really really tired after doing nothing today.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6325428

Sue, Sorry to hear abt the hospice glitch. I used to take communion to folks at the Masonic Home. They take in people, who give all their assets to the home, which is supposed to take care of them. It was probably a good idea back when people died younger & care was cheaper... If Auntie is on Medicare, you can call the state & complain abt her treatment. They might move faster if they had a complaint.

Someone e-mailed this to me, & even though it doesn't apply to me, I still got a chuckle out of it.
Pat

The Center for Disease Control has issued a medical alert about a highly contagious, potentially dangerous virus that is transmitted orally, by hand, and even electronically. This virus is called Weekly Overload Recreational Killer (WORK). If you receive WORK from your boss, any of your colleagues or anyone else via any means whatsoever - DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! This virus will wipe out your private life entirely. If you should come into contact with WORK you should immediately leave the premises.

Take two good friends to the nearest liquor store and purchase one or both of the antidotes - Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract (WINE) and Bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.

You should immediately forward this medical alert to five friends. If you do not have five friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6325439

He, he.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6326154

Ric, those Lilies look like they've multiplied well! How have the L.henryii Lilies done? They should be blooming size this year.

Bonnie, that's a great pic!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6326612

Bonnie, what a great picture of you and hubby!

Marcie, that is a sweet photo for you to hang on to. :)

Pat! You are so bad. LOL

Neal, I'm looking forward to seeing the lilies this year! I think they all bloomed but one!

You guys were talking about roses. We have a Mr. Lincoln planted behind the house. One year it came up really late and I thought it was dead. This year I noticed the old canes have lots of new growth coming out! Does that one grow on it's own roots? I was sort of thinking/wondering about rooting some. Also, when does that one need pruned and how? We planted it beneath Morganne's window. Mr. Lincoln is keeping an eye on her. hahahaha

We had two giant bullfrogs turn up dead in the pond and one fish. We were amazed by the size of the frogs and sad they died. Everything else was fine so I guess they just surfaced too early or something.

I have a strange favor to ask. Does anyone have any sheets of new twist ties? I'm talking about the ones that come with garbage bags. Craig looked when he was in Hillsboro and couldn't find any. I use them to close bags of milk for the freezer. I'd be happy to send postage or a surprise in a month or so. I really need some twist ties. LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 27, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6326670

If I can remember when I get home I'll look. I think there could be some in a drawer.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009

Post #6327052

What about one of those rolls of twist-tie stuff that has the cutter attached? I might be able to scare up one of those for ya.

Marcy, it wasn't you worried about the fish, it was msrobin. Oops!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6327089

Hubby looked for that too. I know I've bought them before, sold as tomato ties I think. I'm planning to go to Walmart in the next couple of days so I will check the garden dept. I think he looked at Kroger and I'm not sure where else. We also have a Kmart near the Walmart. Thanks Kimberley!

I want to make sure Nolan will take a bottle if I'm not around and also have some stored in case I get a job offer or need to leave him at home one day. :( I had to have surgery when Maddie was five weeks old but thankfully I was able to nurse her just before they put me under and again as soon as I woke up. LOL Then I got the heck out of there! We all know how I love hospitals...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6327294

Hmmm, I just found them at Uline. You can get 2,000 for $8 and another $8 for shipping. They even recommend the clear ones for medical use. Maybe I'll do that next week. Never thought about googling them. LOL
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6327325

Badseed,

Lurker here.

I'm pretty sure I remember that you do a lot of craft-y type things, so do you use "pipe" cleaners for many of your projects? They make the absolute best twist ties!! Cut them any length you want, they can be reused tons of times, always stay soft and supple.

Just a suggestion.

OK, back into lurk mode! ha.

Deanna
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6327337

Deanna, great idea! I've never used them for twist ties. They'd be great for the garden, too, since they would be gentle on tender stems.

Chele, I've gotten the rolls of the stuff at Big Lots. If there's one near the others stores, you might try there.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6327403

GW,

Right on! There's thousands of uses for them.

I used them a lot in the flower shop, for tying corsages and Bridal Bouquets.

One use that might surprise all you "Lily Lovers"-nothing works better, or is more gentle in getting that ripe pollen off one of your prize lily petals. Try it!

Just (very gently) brush the curved end of any pipe cleaner over the pollenized petal, following the length of the petal. 1-3 soft swipes, no more ugly brown pollen.

Deanna
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6327457

Hi Sasha! No need to lurk. LOL Thanks for the idea! I have a few black pipe cleaners but I'm thinking the lint from them might get inside the bags? I'm storing breast milk so I may need to stick with un-furry ties. :)

Kimberley, there is a Big Lots in Wilmington. Trying to think if I need to go there any time soon. Oh, there is a Lowe's in Hillsboro! Maybe they'll have them in the garden section!?!

I use to save them off bread loaves but most use those plastic things now. We used to save the ones from garbage bags too and just tie the garbage bags shut. Our garbage can only works with the handle tie bags. Grrrr.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6327494

Deanna! Long Time!
How's things down there?

Ric
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6327723

I've also found the stuff at Lowe's and Home Depot, Chele, yep.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6327871

Hoo! Scored a floor-to-ceiling cat tree from someone on Cheapcycle for $10. I just have to drive out and pick it up. The kitties will love a lofty perch.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6328414

Great find, GW. Sure wish I could find one; my cats would love it.

I have a Woohoo too... dug some dandelion roots out of my newest lasagna bed today and found a few WORMS! Not bad considering I didn't add any soil because I didn't have any. Just mulch, green and brown plant material, more mulch and some kitchen scraps not even composted.

Will it ever stop raining?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6328779

The lady had two gorgeous great Danes, a black female and a harlequin male. They were so friendly, too, big as ponies and twice as docile.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6329469

Kimberly good find. I wish we lived in an area where we had freecycle, I have heard so many good things about people who find just what they are looking for free or very cheap.

We are having rain again. It was clear for the better part of the day, but we went out to eat, left here about 4:00 to pick up another couple and head to Lexington, and it rained on us the whole way, while we were in the restaurant, and on the way home. It did stop about 5 miles from home.

This afternoon, I was seeing something white blooming from my kitchen window and went out to find white hyacinths and little purple scillia blooming. I am hoping that there will be some purple hyacinths, but only had 2 blooming both white. I had to cut one and bring it in, and it is really perfuming my desk area.

Off to read a few other threads and off to bed.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6329492

Goshmom My FIL is her POA and he does all the stuff for her. I can't tell you how many times they have billed her twice and have billed her for more days in the hosp ward and her drycleaning was double ! due to a typo ? !
she was in their hospital ward when she fell and she was there for 5 days they billed her for 10 ! yikes
went to T's aunt viewing . What a bunch of characters his family is . LOL loved every minute of it . HA. :) I did my big hair thing do up. Wore make up and heels yikes.
well them are pretty pics of the flowers you got there.
Hey Bonnie "hey you saxy thang you "( giggle. )
other than that ? just tired
my oldest is at her old tricks again and she is in big trouble again , sheesh. this time she has to go see a judge in a courthouse . Got to learn the hard knocks school i guess. ? I would love to help her out but how will she ever learn ?
i m pooped
good night
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6330783

Neal is this the other one?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6330867

Goodmorning!

Not much going on down here. Weather wasn't too bad locally, most went all around us. Lost power for a couple of hours last night, but it was almost bedtime, so no big deal. It's sure chilly today. I brought in all the potted vegetable plants last night for the weekend. Suppose to me nice again next week.

Took the Explorer to Walmart yesterday to get the tires rotated and new wiper blades before I make the trip home Monday. Picked up a car charger for our new cell phones. I've already packed up the stuff I'm taking back, so I'm good to go.

Hope everyone is having a good start to their weekend!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6331444

Good morning, well prob afternoon by the time this post. Quick break between putting green house up. I just thought Sue may want some baby pics. I just love chicks or as they are called here in the country "dittles". These will be some I will be bringing you Sue to the RU.
George

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6331477

They're so cute, George. I can almost hear them peeping.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6331492

Awww... they are SO cute!

I really want to have a few chickens, but AFTER I get a chicken tractor built.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6331620

They are adorable. Such fun!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6331868

Well, the plastic threaded pieces the brass bolts thread into broke on two of the cat tree's pieces. Aaargh. Considering they're such high-stress areas, would gluing the pieces back together even work? If so, what glue? I can take pictures if anyone needs to see what I'm talking about. I'm so bummed they broke!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6332010

Post a close up, Kimberly...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6332077

aaawww Geo they are cute!
well i know Savannah just picked hers out already when i showed her the pic LOLLLL
well i m still considering if i should plant the bulbs today ? with so much rain , would they rot ?
might venture out and take a looky and where to plant them :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6332110

Right now I'm not feeling too hot. I'll have to do it later, probably won't get to it until after surgery. I know we won't be trying to fix it until later. Thanks.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6332440

I'm having a bummer weekend so far. The guy who's been doing my yard work, tree work, fireplace remodel, etc, etc-- and was going to be putting up the deer fence garden enclosure-- got picked up in northern KY for an old warrant from TN. I can't contact him to see if he needs anything, & he hasn't tried to contact any of his friends here in Ohio, so we have no idea what's going on, if he has to go to TN, or what.
Then one of my best friends called up to announce the break-up of his long-term partnership, so I'm sad abt that, too, as I like them both.
Found out that one of my son's ex-girlfriends will be at the wedding I'm doing this coming weekend. This should be interesting!
Grey day here... soggy and grey...grumpy, soggy and grey...

Any good news out there?
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6332455

Found the picture of the pasqueflower I took last week.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6332638

Pat, it's gloomy here, too... and I'm grumpy without knowing why! (Probably it's because of the refrigerator... it still has ham from New Year's day and ground beef from 3 weeks ago... NOT in the freezer. Not mine to throw away either... bleck.) Anyway, your flower is pretty.

I just walked the yard (between raindrops... whoops: me walking between the raindrops, not the yard between the raindrops!). I hate that I don't remember or recognize some stuff that's starting to emerge. I'm thrilled at what I can identify... the columbine seedlings Neal gave me last year in small coffee cups are already the size of a small head of lettuce, and the heuchera I divided during the summer actually look like they might live. NO sign of the Madonna Lilies Melissa gave me, and they were huge bulbs. Most of my other bulbs, even the late Oriental lilies, are showing some growth. Rhubarb is about 10" tall, seemingly overnight. Does anyone know if I can transplant it now? Or the comfrey?

I saw rabbit scat 5-10' from my vegetable beds so I guess I need to think about fencing that area. And, I must have over 100 dandelions growing in the 3 beds I tilled last fall. Too wet to dig them out now even though the soil is soft. My shovel and my boots would end up weighing a ton from all the mud.

Ta, ta...
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6333602

Darius, you are so grammatically correct ;-)
My columbines are going great guns, too. It's their 3rd spring for most of them. No sign (yet) of the icky bug that tried to eat all the leaves last year-- see thread if you want--
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843252/
But I'm surely going to be watching them like a hawk this year. I have some Barlow varieties, some William Guiness, & something called Double-pleat that I got from Bluestone Perennials last year. I'm keeping them doused with deer repellent since they think they are just the right size for an appetizer! Most of my daffodils are blooming, as is the weeping cherry off the liv rm and the white cherry off my bedroom window. My tulip tree blossoms got wet & are currently looking brown & glum. For some reason, the birds were going after the cherry blossoms this morning-- or maybe some little bugs that I couldn't see. Let's see, what else-- my snowdrops are long gone, but the summer snowflakes are just emerging. All my fritillaria persicas have emerged & are showing seedheads, but nothin blooming yet frit-wise. The dogwood and the 2 crabapples we planted last year are showing buds but no bloom yet. I've got to keep in mind that it's March, not May!
My baby sis made fried chicken, homemade biscuits, mashed taters & real chicken gravy-- it was fabulous, in addition to being a heart attack on a plate. We're poking around her yard trying to figure out what new things are sprouting.
Off to watch Ricky Gervais on Graham Norton. Feeling slightly less grumpy,
Pat
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6334620

Darius, I think this is a good time to move the rhubarb and comfrey, while they're just coming up. Yours is up further than mine, probably ought to do it pretty soon before the leaves get big enough to wilt. My big rhubarb plant has shown back up that was in the backhoe path last fall!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6334880

Thanks Neal. I'd forgotten that Buster (my old-timer neighbor) says you generally can't kill rhubarb. I'll have to look at my planting calendar and see if there's a good transplant day coming up. I dreamed last night that his wife just got an older but barely used rear-tine Troy-built tiller off a lead I gave her... and in my dream I was trying to borrow it!

More rain today, and off and on this whole week. Also looks like we will have several nights of frost this week. We are generally 5-8 colder than the forecasts anyway. :(

Since I can't work in the mud, I think I'll drive down to Home Depot. I need another metal garbage and some 1/4" hardware cloth can so I can sift all my woodstove ashes. I'll add the small bits of charcoal to the raw half of the veggie garden before I till it. I have no use for the fine ash that will be left; my soil is already a tad alkaline so it won't go on the garden, and I have no interest in making lye for soap this time of the year.

I guess Robin is back home in KY this weekend checking on their place. What's everyone else up to?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6334900

Morning Darius.

I'm here.

Been a busy weekend so far. I'm looking forward to getting some rest today since it's being so icky outside.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6335485

Hi everyone.
A gloomy day here also. It's been raining, not right at the present.
Speaking of rhubarb, I got an ornamental rhubarb yesterday at Meadowview nursery. It is a perennial also...and is supposed to get like..oh I forget...maybe 8 ft. tall??
I have had them twice before, but they didn't live...plus..they were only roots when I got them. This is a good sized plant. I'm giving it one more chance...lol! I may have had it in the wrong spot before too. I think they are rather tempermental to get started.
Anyway..we went to Meadowview yesterday. Met our friends there and walked around and oooohd and awwdddd over everything. Lots of neat things there! Their 25 perennials for 25.00 weren't exactly one of them though...lol. Just like Joyce said..they were very small. BUT...I think if you are in the market for perennials, there is nothing wrong with that. I think most of the time the smaller plants catch up really fast. I just didn't really need anything. So I bought things I wanted...lol! Ohhhhhh...and got some curly pansies! They are gorgeous!! Never saw them before!
We went to eat at the Melodee restaurant close by...then came to our house. Looked around outside till we froze...then came in and talked.
I had bean soup in the freezer, so for supper we had that and sandwiches. It was a good day!
Not sure what we are going to get into here today? I need to take a couple of things back that I got at Wally on Friday...but that's about it.
I'm still not sure about the roundup.
Ok...off to read email and stuff. Have a great day everyone.

Edited to say..my rhubarb is up too...just very small though! I can't wait! Love rhubarb!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 12:00 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6335759

Another long day yesterday.
We left at 8:30 after loading the car.
FULL load this time...tools, Hardibacker and 2 x 4's.
Got home at 10 PM.
The LR ceiling is rocked and first coat of mud on.
Base cabinets on the outer wall side are in ... 3 of the 4 uppers also.
Next weekend we'll finish the cabs and get the countertop on, sink in and plumbed.
Maybe demo the bathroom and get it framed and rocked. Small room only one wall to do.

They are up sanding the patched mud and adding the second coat to the ceiling today.
By the time we get up Saturday next the LR should be about done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6335811

Goodmorning, All!

Darius, nope, haven't left yet...first thing in the morning though. I won't be back till at the earliest Thursday evening, but probably Friday evening. Just depends on how much I've got to do at home. I'm leaving the laptop here with Al, so he'll have something to entertain himself.

We got the garden cleaned up well this past fall, so it'd be ready to plant when we returned. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and plant some spring crop seeds. Just taking a chance on something being ready to pick in May or June, whenever we head home.

We're loading up the car today with stuff I'm taking home. Need to make a quick run to Walmart to pick up some quick and easy things for Al to fix for his lunchbox and dinner. (He doesn't care for female house mate's cooking and doesn't know if the weather will be cooperative enough for grilling) I've got the laundry done and stocked up on beer and smokes, so he's good and won't have to ask anyone to take him to the store. Yes, he is spoiled! LOL! If the male house mate doesn't get up and ready in time in the morning, another buddy of Al's drives right by here, so will stop and pick him up. Decided not to rent a car, since this next check will be short again due to rain and mud outs at work this past week.

So, hope you all have a great week and at least a few sunny hours to play in the dirt! ^_^

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6336578

Ric, you and Robyn impress the heck out of us. We can't imagine knowing how, let alone being able to do all that DIY stuff. Wow.

Msrobin, sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row.

Well, we're on our way into Columbus to the hotel. My surgery's scheduled to begin at 7:30am. Howie and I left the laptops behind, but have our phones; he'll update on Twitter and Facebook, and I've asked him to update the thread over in the prayer requests forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/967597/
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6336581

My email server is down :( Sorry to pop in like this but you're in our prayers BIG TIME !!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6336648

Absolutely you are in my thoughts and prayers too for a quick, easy and successful surgery, Kimberly.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6336752

In my thought and prayers.

The roughest and toughest come from OHIO !

Thumbnail by synda

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6337005

That's right, Synda!

We got all the way to the hotel and I realized I'd left the hospital's info packet at home, along with the antibacterial cloth thingie the nurse gave me. Called Nancy and she looked through the folder and made sure there wasn't anything I needed. CVS sells the same antibacterial solution, so we didn't have to make a special trip back home.

While Howie was getting out of the car at CVS, a big gust of wind blew the door into the door of the SUV parked next to us. We did the right thing and wrote down our info for its ownersj they came walking up just after Howie took a picture of the dent. Looks like we'll have another claim on our car insurance. They love us. LOL

there is an indoor pool and a hottub here. We're using them tonight!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6337048

GW, T&Ps for you during your surgery and recovery. Enjoy your evening together!

REic, ditto on being impressed!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6337610

Gw big hug and wishing a quick recovery for you.
Gosh i m sorry your having a bad day :( not fun. big ((())))) for you. :)
maybe its the moon or something but i have been biting Dh's head off the last few days. LOL poor guy.
darius i got a ton of ash from a wood burn we did . What else can i do with it ? add it to compost ? or sprinkle on the garden beds ?
I read in Mother Earth News mag a burn techique for gardening. Couldn't convince T to use it :( for my garden.
well busy here
had dinner with the inlaws and went and had a special day iwth DD. She needed some special mom time
good night
hugs
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6337811

Kimberley it ain't nothing but learning and doing it.
Surgeons to Painters, Bricklayers to Musicians
The most talented (of which we surely aren't) have a gift and become masters...
the rest are journeymen at best.
I guess Robyn and I are journeymen generalizers! ;-)

In my case it helps when you grow up getting bored easily.
I had 3 majors in college (working construction for a living)
and after 5 years realized I wanted to know everything not just a lot about something...
so I started working for a paycheck and living for learning.

Midnight, a Doctor get up in the middle of the night, uses the facilities, flushes and the toilet overflows.
He calls a 24 hour plumbing service.
The Plumber comes, quickly fixes the problem and hands him a bill for 150 dollars.
"$150.00 an hour!" says the Doctor. " I don't make that kind of money!"
The Plumber replies " When I was a Doctor I didn't either!"

Best wishes for tomorrow's surgery!
Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6337819

ROFLLLL that is great Ric
good night to all and to all a good night
hugs
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6337882

Been lurking some today it has been a nasty day. Some rain and wind and colder temps Weather liars are saying back to the 60's tomorrow, but I have my doubts. Went to church, and home for lunch, after the kitchen was cleaned read a bit and then a nap. Finished one book and started on another, about half way through that one. Good day for it.

Kimberly, sending T & P's for your surgery tomorrow. Sure hope that you will heal quickly and completely and this will be the last of your pain.

Darius, I have tried rhubarb 3 times. Each time, it dies, and I get more and put it in a different place. So do you know what conditions it really likes? Tell Buster, he has never me me!!

Sue is your family feeling better?

gosh'smom, sure hope that you have a better day tomorrow. The grumpies hit us all at some time or another.

Marcy, say what, you don't know about coming to the RU? Now that just ain't right, it won't be the same without you. and your DH. What can I bring you that would be worth coming?

Well heading off to bed, and hope that I awake to a better day weather wise tomorrow.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6338487

Well, today (Sunday) was a yucky day. COld, windy, wet, and my sister (the one who made the beg dinner for us yesterday) called & had to leave church because she was having gut pain. Her doctor told her to first try some maalox, so I went to get maalox, but she was almost crying from pain when I got to her. Maalox accomplished nothing. She tried a 4 year old percocet & that helped-- for abt half an hour, & then we gave up & headed for the emergency room. Got there at 2:30. Registered and paid & saw triage nurse by 3:15. At 4:40, they finally took sis back to "get started" and said she'd be returning to the waiting room after that until they had a bed. At 5:15, they called me back & said they'd found a bed. She'd had bloods drawn & urine done. Abt 5:45 the doc wandered through, saying he needed to get tests done-- like bloods drawn, urinalysis & x-rays. Asked if she'd had any pain meds, but then forgot to order any. So, when I finally called in big sis for reinforcements & went home at 7:45, she still hadn't had any pain meds. They were swamped & busy, but that's too long. Her nurse kept having to track down the doctor via footpower-- and he was a ramblin' man. Oh, they gave her a call button if she needed a nurse-- but it was connected to the nursing station way down the hall. The desk clerks are "supposed" to see what's needed & call the nurse, but nobody ever called back while we were there. It was just a nightmare. It was very hard to sit there and not be able to do anything for her. At one point I asked her if she wanted to go to a different ER, but she nixed that.
Sounds like gall stones, but not definitive. She has to go back tomorrow to get an ultrasound-- they couldn't do that today, for some reason.
This is the same hospital where I had my spinal fusions, and where I had a good bit of communication difficulties-- the nurses were wearing pagers at that point, but there were a couple times when I simply broke down from not being able to get pain med on time. I get almost PTSD type struggles when I have to go back into that building and that system. I know that doesn't help my sister, but it's not something that feels very controllable.

OK, end of rant.
Ric-- that joke abt the doctor calling the plumber-- I have an airline pilot friend who always has the best stories. One of his co-pilots was a plumber from Long Island-- the richy rich section, shall we say. Every male in his family was a plumber, and they couldn't understand why he'd give up the good money he made as a plumber to go & fly planes! (And yes, he made a lot more plumbing in Long Island than flying for a major carrier.)

Gonna try & catch up on some zzz's & de-crick my back & neck.
Kimberly, good luck, with T&P, for your surgery. Blessings be poured!
Pat

floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6339124

From another sometimes lurker.
WOW, so much going on here. Hope everyone gets thru the bad times some are experiencing right now. Hopefully, warmer weather is just around the corner. That always lifts my spirits.
On the forsythia bushes: my DH cut several branches last year and potted them and the little things are blooming right now in the pots.. so they are pretty easy to start.

On the Mr. Lincoln rose..it is a hybrid tea and therefore I don't think it can be propagated. I'm not 100% sure though. I used to have one and they are beautiful red roses.

On the medical issues: you got to stay on top of things and get the answers from your doctor. My sister's husband is recovering in the hospital from 5 bypass open heart surgery. He was the picture of health. ..not overweight, not smoked...was always busy and active, always ate the right things. He was having some chest pains for a couple of weeks, dr sent him to specialist and from there by ambulance to hospital. He was shocked at having several 100% blockages and some 70%. He should have come home today but is having trouble with stomach. They put a hose down his nose and pumped green stuff out of his stomach yesterday. He is not doing well at all. Any nurses on here, can you tell me more about that?? My sister has been thru a lot..as a passenger in a car 5 years ago she was hurt real bad..has pins in her leg and doesn't walk the same. Two years ago she had breast cancer. Now her husband...need some prayers here, please.

Judy
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6340027

Hey Judy, Sorry to hear what you sister and her husband are going through, I can only guess at why they had to place the NG tube, but that guess is that he might have what is called an ileus. It happens sometimes after surgery but mainly after abdominal types of surgery. Basically an ileus is when the bowel stops working, in surgical cases it can be due to reduced blood flow to the bowel or handling of it. It does resolve on it's own most times. THe NG tube is to rest the bowel. Again, Just a guess
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6340073

Happy Birthday to Jules (Daylily_OH)...I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6340172

Good morning all!
Pretty daylily Dusty! Do you have the name of it??
Kimberley...prayers for things to go right ...and to heal...on your surgery today. Maybe it's all over by now...hope so!
Julessss...Happy Birthday to you!! May you have many many more!
Judy from Jamestown...prayers for your sis and her family to. A lot to go through!
Hope her hubby gets better fast!
Well...Dave's new glasses are ready...so we are going to pick them up today. Wish I had new ones..sniff..sniff. :(
I REALLY need them...and he didn't hardly even have a change in his!
Well..the sun is shining...and hopefully, it will be warming up some!
Hope you all have a wonderful day...lurkers included!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6340185

Sue, if your pH is acidic, you can add the wood ashes to your soil. Have you had a soil test done?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6340270

Hey everybody,

Back from Cali. The Lt.'s graduation was great, kids are all wonderful. Everything is everything up here.

Wanted to say Happy B'day to Jules and check in since I have been gone for a bit.

Many love and kisses all!

T
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6340285

Kimberly's surgery is over, Howie posted on the Prayer thread. Seems all went well, just over an hour in the operating room.

Sunny day here, and since I had looked at the hummingbird migration map, and they are very near, put out a hummie feeder, hoping that they will stop by. I usuallly have quite a few.

Waiting for it to warm up, have balanced a check book, and that is about it. Need to get outside and soak up some rays, gonna immitate the hounds on the porch!
valrita

March 30, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6340318

Great news about Gardenwife. I'm glad everything went well.
Defoecat, nice pic of you and your hubby!
Ric, that looks like a lot of work but it looks great
Welcome home, Toni

Happy Birthday, daylily_ohio! I hope you have a wonderful day.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6340343

Good Morning...Since it was only 30* when I got up, I have been busy around the inside this morning...I may venture out later on if it hits the 50's like they say...

Marcy...that is a pic of Allison's Wedding...one of the ones I have and will hopefully bloom for me this year... ;-)

I am out of butter of all things, so I need to make a short run to Savealot, and I am hoping to find a few boxes to put more things in for the SA and what I am giving or selling on Freecycle and Cheapcycle...I have been sorting my craft bins, and getting rid of most of it, but I won't part with my bins...I got into the pantry yesterday to get my pan I use for roasting, and saw a bunch of things in there that I never use...I have alot of baking things, so I'm going to have Ric & Robyn stop here on their next trip up, and see if they want any of it since they do so much baking...If not, it is off to the SA...

So glad to hear Kimberleys surgery went well...Once she gets through the pain and heals, hopefully she will be good as new...

Great Pic of you and DH Bons...Really great!!

Back to the sorting...
You all have a wonderful day!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6340605

(((((Jules)))) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Couldn't hug you in person even if we were there so...
Hope you get lots of Frog Bellies!

Dusty we love ALL things baking and bacon... lol!
Maybe we can drop by Saturday.

Thanks Velnita!
You're more than welcome to stop by a visit!
We're just over in Riverside... lol!

Kimberley congrats!
Glad it's finally over w/.

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6340635

Kimberly, glad it all went well... you'll be good as new in no time!

Happy Birthday, daylily_ohio!

I'm off to get a truck load of mulch to spread today, before bad weather moves in again. (Assuming I can get the camper top off by myself.) Having just one decent afternoon a week to work outside is not enough!

Would anyone like some baby blue hubbard (winter squash) seeds? 90-95 days to maturity, great winter keepers. I can send them by snail mail now, or bring to the RU.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6340670

It is not alot Bro, but a few things you might can use, cooling racks for one...I kept 2 in the event I ever do bake a cake or pie or a pan of brownies...I may have something else rather special for you as well...I know how you love playing with all toys electrical...LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6341131

Hey gang :)
No darius no soil test , just a wondering if it would be a good idea. might do a test or just add some poop :)
Jules Happy Birthday !
Bonnie kids are back in school and we have a air cleaner in the Rooms. he seems to be doing better.
Not much here
having issues with my oldest again *sigh*
did someone say brownies !!!
glad your surgery went well Gw yeah. :) take care and don't overdo it :)
better run
take care
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6341154

Sue, adding wood ash is like adding lime. Too much and vegetables won't grow... they need a pH close to 6.0, neutral.

Glad you and the kids are breathing better. Don't forget to clean the filters often.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6341820

Happy B'day to Jules-- and many more!

Sis feeling conked out from the meds they gave her 3 minutes before she left ER-- but able to get ultrasound done & waiting on word from doc.

Finally feels warm outside. Trying to figure out who I can get to put up garden enclosure. Any Cinci people who have a good handyperson?

Continued T&P for Kimberly's recovering & healing.
Judy, sounds like sis & bro in law have been through the mill! Prayers for their recovery & healing, too.

Need to get back to work on 1. Taxes & 2. Wedding sermon for this weekend. Anyone remember what was said to them -- helpful, that is-- on their wedding day?
Pat

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6341863

Happy Birthday Juli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!♫♫♫

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6341989

Good evening... All in all, I had a decent day. Spread 2 loads of mulch on the lasagna flower bed I've been building for over a year... man, 2 scoops might be a lot of raisins for a box of cereal but it's NOT a lot of mulch on a 8' x 28' flower bed. Bulk mulch has gone up. (Surprise??) I paid $36 for 2 scoops and when loaded in my truck it was only about 10-15% more than what I got last year for a $15 scoop... same guy, same place. :(

Also bought gas when I went to the dump so I could mow at least the front yard while the weather is decent, but didn't get to the weed-eating.

Mostly I walked around the yard after mowing, trying to figure out where my new fruiting shrubs and trees will go. They are to be shipped next week.

Has anyone used the La Motte soil test kits?

Ric, I thought of your rehab project when I read this: "My body is a temple. Unfortunately, it's a fixer-upper." However, your project is doing better than my body.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6342130

I forgot to add the mulch photo...

Thumbnail by darius

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6342306

Beauty, eh? Your grass is so green! And I love the covered bridge!

I forgot to say I hope GW's surgery went well, I haven't been over to the prayer forum to see what Howie said. I hope this is just the ticket to get her back to good as new!

I've been babysitting Kavin. I started last Thursday and today, he finished up the pond for me...

Just kidding...hard to believe that little fella is not even two yet. He is 36 inches tall and weighs 42 pounds.

Thumbnail by joycet

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6342802

Joyce what a cutie.

Darius, nice looking flower bed. I was wondering about the price of mulch. It takes 2 pickup trucks for everything here.

goshsmom, you want to know what a minister said 44 years ago? Surely you jest.

Went out and did a walk around this afternoon, and things are just popping. I still am not doing a complete clean up, as we had a heavy frost this morning. My winter sowing is producing some little babies, and will be potting them up sometime next week.

I am still taking it easy, mostly inside work today, and very little of that, but seem to be feeling some better. Did not get a call from the Dr today,so I shall be calling him tomorrow about the blood tests.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #6344004

Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday dear Bonnie♫♫Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuu♫♫ Hope it's a good one!

PS...Happy Birthday to Connie, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6344138

Thanks Joyce, and I will pass on the wish to Connie.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6344446

got some pics of the garden so far so good ?

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6344450

i think these are tulips ?

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6344452

peonies

Thumbnail by taynors

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6344668

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONNIE !!!!!! Make DH take you out to someplace wonderful for supper, just for you, since you already celebrated with DTS...
I hope you have a wonderful day!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6344817

Happy Birthday Bonnie and Connie!!! And many many more!!
Kimberley..so glad to hear the surgery went well! Healing thoughts for you!!
Sue...great looking plants!!
Darius, that garden is lookin good! Hmmm..haven't checked the price of mulch around here yet...maybe I better! I usually have to get two pickup loads too...to do most of my beds. Some...I just don't mulch. I could probably use 3 loads...but it's hard enough getting 2 spread!!
Joyce...I can't believe your little Gavin! My little Dawson is 5, and only weighs 40 lbs.! Not sure how tall he is. Wow..Gavin is going to be a BIG boy for sure!!
Worked outside yesterday..and hope to...today. Kinda gloomy here right now though...and cool!
Where is our sunshine???????
Hi to all ...including the lurkers! I hope you all have a great day!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 31, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6344824

Happy Birthday Bonnie. :-)

Donna
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6344907

Joyce- when my girls were small, the Dr said that they reach 1/2 their height at age two. He was worried about their size. He was right on! Neither of them got to 5 ft. Your Grandson is going to be a tall guy. Put a basketball in his hands soon! LOL. Lurker Lou
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6344911

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday! Had an uneventful day, and decent weather. It's always a toss up if it's going to be nasty this time of year.

Happy birthday Bonnie!

Kimberley - hope you feel better soon and the surgery fixes your pain!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6344995

Happy Birthday, Bonnie!
valrita

March 31, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6345001

Warm wishes for a Happy Birthday, Defoecat!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6345099

Marcy... the sun keeps trying to peek out here, and then disappears again...It's up to 47* here, so sun or not I'm going out...I've got debris piles to pick up, 4 roses to get in the ground and 4 six packs of pansies to get planted...and a pathway to finish laying and rocking...
The belt to my vacuum broke, and I can't get one til Friday, so good excuse to get out of the house!!! LOL
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6345217

I missed yesterdays birthday so HAPPY BELATED B_DAY TO JULES!!
Today It's HAPPY B_DAY to Bonnie!!

We have our daughter here for the week on spring break. The middle boy was supposed to come, but decided he did not want to(not that I'm disappointed at all) Jeff is fairly hurt by it though. I plan to spoil the dickens out of her. She also is a budding gardening, so I will let her help start seeds in the green house. She also is an animal lover, so she will also help build a couple of pens and help with puppies. The puppies eyes are open now and wiggling out of the dog house. It's time for their puppy play pen to be built. The momma dog is losing her mind with them getting out of the house.

The sun is shining and It's not too cold out. I will get to plant some lily bulbs and columbine I got from some coop's. My veggie garden is all plowed and tilled. I am biting at the bit to plant in it. My potatoes have been cut and have scabbed over, so they can go in. Hopefully southern states has sweet potato slips so I can plant a few of those also. Other than a few cole crops that's it for planting in it so far. I have never had a veggie garden(I know slap me on the hand)

Sue, thank you for that envelope. I can't thank you for what was in it.(granny said never thank anyone for plants or seeds or they will die!)

Well I'm off to lunch and shopping with the "little lady" I can't believe she is 13.
George
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6345298

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BI and BII !

Ric and Robyn
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 31, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6345359

Best wishes to Bonnie and belated ones to Jules!

Janet
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6345675

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, I had an eye Dr appointment and won't type much, as I am still bleary eyed. Ric, hehe BI and BII, I will pass that along.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6346685

Happy Birthday Bonnie ! hugs and kisses at cha
Geo i hope they do well for you and your welcome for the envelope LOL . I m sure your DD is going to have a great time with all the chicks and puppies !! what more could a girl want !! pups and chicks yeah .
not much here
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6346784

Happy BIrthday wishes to Jules and Bonnie.
Bonnie, I must have missed why you had bloodwork done and have you got the results yet?

Jazz, thanks for that info on the NG thing. My BIL is no better. Heart doc said surgery and healing is great, it's the somach or rather the bowels that is a concern. That tube down his nose is pumping green stuff and it irritates him so badly. Yesterday morning he took it out himself. And said it will never go back in. Well, they put it back in this morning. This afternoon they were to take him for tests to see what is causing this problem. I certainly hope they can fix this soon. My sister is staying at the hospityal from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. when her daughter relieves her. He is such a baby (as most men tend to be...lol) that if she is not right there, he calls her to see why not. I think they have been married 47 years or thereabout.

Got some mulching done around my sidewalk. Got so much to do, but the rain is always with us. Here I am on spring break this week and the ground is too wet to do much. I cleaned out a closet though...lol.. I hate housework. Give me a shovel, hoe, or whatever and put me outside any day...lol..

Judy in KY.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6347544

Judy, have been feeling punk for awhile, thought it was a RA flare, but Dr says no. Went to the Dr last Tuesday, and they took enough blood to give somebody a transfusion. One of the things they are testing for is a Vit D deficiency. I called today, and the tech told me that it usually takes 2 weeks for the lab they use to get that one back. So another week without any answers. However I did feel better today, so by the time I get the results back, may be all well.

Sure hope your BIL feels better soon. I would rather do manual labor all day than to sit in a hospital.

My eyes are about back to normal, and I did get a good report. No changes since the last time I was there. However, I see the macular specialist in April, so will see what he has to say.

Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes, you all have made it a special day.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6348072

Well the best laid plans of mice and women, didn't happen for me and the yard today...didn't do as planned...but the seeds ARE finally sown on the berm... ;-))
I decided not to do the roses today as I want to move their arbor farther down the pathway...It is still a bit slopey where it is now, which means whatever water they would get by Creator or me, would run off more than soak in...

The kitchen bar and dining room table are finally cleared off, and all tools/supplies taken to the garage and 9 empty bins taken out to the garage as well, and the guest room is done except for getting the mirror hung up, and getting the vanity out to be painted...I still have to hang the curtain rod, but the curtains are down in the wash with the rest of the ones that I am keeping...All quilts are now rewashed and bagged and packed in the blanket chest, as are the Wheelchair throws...They will be ready for this Fall as needed...
I have boxes packed for the SA...A huge bag of fabric that is going on Freecycle along with a box of craft stuff...and my big Christmas tree and more decorations...I kept my small one and some lights, and one door wreath, and that's it...Except for the little tree in it's own box, everything else is in one bin now...and all of my craft things are in one bin, and the fabric I am keeping is in one bin, with room for the clean curtains I am keeping when they get finished in the wash...

I told Jim that we are going down to the bare bones of necessity, not want...I am over the clutter and the cleaning...I decided not to hang the Ancestors back up either...They are getting packed up to go to his sons now that they are in their new home in Lancaster...If they don't want them back, they will get donated to the Mercer County museum... and the 3 of mine will take a trip home to NC when I can get there, and go to my Cousin Claudes log cabin Museum...I would rather do that, than give them to a kid, or his kids when he dies, who will box them up and take them to the Goodwill...Jims family has very deep roots in Celina/Mercer County, and these pics are very relative since the ball field was named for his GrandFather Kahle, 4 yrs ago...

I went through my stemware, and got it out and gone...went through my kitchen drawers and got rid of a ton of that stuff that I never use...All of my bar ware is gone except my bone handle 3 way church-key, and I kept that to open canned milk when/if I make my coconut fruit cakes...
A couple appliances are now history too...I did keep my blender, and a few others, because I use that to make white gazpacho in the summer, and I inhale that stuff...Rarely use it the rest of the year tho...
I have been researching my Noritake China, and I may have enough to buy a car if I sell it...I have 6 piece place settings for 8, plus the sugar bowl and creamer and a vegetable bowl in mint condition...
It is a beautiful pattern, and I don't want to part with it, BUT...

My son called from GA and we were on the phone for 2 1/2 hrs... ;-)))
He is doing great and I may get to see my birthday present Grandson very soon again...

Anywaaaaay... I hope you all have a great night...Raindrops here earlier but supposed to be nice tomorrow...We shall see...LOL

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6348223

Hope you had a lovely birthday, Bonnie--- even if you had to blink a lot & read boring eye charts.
Judy, in my experience, the NG tube can become more of a hindrance than a help-- it's just a matter of knowing when to pull it. I had one after my back surgery, and after abt a week I was feeling nauseaous more, rather than less, of the time. The'd irrigate the tube to make sure it wasn't blocked, but one night the nurse got the order & pulled it, & told me I'd be better off being able to have something other than ice chips, and also be able to move around a bit better. You have to be able to move to get the bowel moving things along, so to speak. I felt better after some tea!
My sister still hasn't heard back from her doctor's office abt the test results. Irritating. Very irritating. I'm trying to rest up so I can function at the rehearsal dinner and the wedding this weekend. Took my new robe to the tailor's to get it altered, & waited through 5 kids who were getting fitted for their prom tuxes. I'll tell you, things have changed in the teenage boy division. Not afraid of hot pink, aqua,WOW.
Hey, George, what's the latest on your surgery?

EVerybody take care!
Pat
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009

Post #6349561

Happy April Fools' Day everyone!!!
Wow...everyone must still be sleeping! LOL!
Bright sunshine here, and pretty cool...but supposed to warm up. Hope it does. I sure do need to get some things done outside! All kinds of cleanup to do out there!
Nothing going on here to talk about? I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6350677

darius were you asking about home soil test kits ?
Mother Earth News Mag said this
Univeristy of California conducted a study and found that Rapitest and LaMotte home test give accurate ph readings more than 90% of the time.
I think i am going to try one of them . This fall i want to do a cover crop .
Marcy did you get out today ? and enoy the sun or did you blow away in the wind ?
man its windy !
not much here
what kind of cake did you eat Bonnie ?
i m sorry to hear of the news on your eyes . I was really praying for some good news for you . My aunt has it also and can't drive at night but she does anyway ! that silly old woman she is yikes can't take her anywhere !
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6351519

Yes Sue, 'twas me asking if anyone had used home soil test kits (not the cheapies from the big box stores). I can see where pH would be fairly accurate, but my concern is the accuracy of the other nutrients. The LaMotte test kits come in 3 kinds, each more expensive one testing more nutrients... seems like I remember they run from under $50, up to nearly $100, but each kit does quite a few tests.

I was able to get outside a bit this afternoon after the rain stopped. I'm still digging dandelions from the 'new' veggie bed... have well over a bushel and a half and more to go. It's nasty work because the mud sticks to the shovel, my boots and the roots... thick, gooey mud. My boots now weigh a ton!

I don't mind dandelions in the yard, but those in the veggie bed were so thick that I'm not sure anything else could grow, at least not well. Out of curiosity, I pulled the flower buds off just one large plant and counted them... 28 buds all tucked down in the crown. That would make a LOT of seedlings to take root in the nice fluffy, rich soil. Attached below is a Wiki photo, close up of a dandelion seed head...

I will be SO glad when it finally gets to be time to plant, rather than time to do the hard work of preparation!

My doctor has referred me to an Endocrinologist, finally. Every doc for 50 years has said it sounds like I have low thyroid... and then the tests always come back saying okay. New research has some different ideas, so maybe they can really find out why I am so tired, and so cold all the time... more than just aging can justify. I've always had the other classic symptoms, too... dry scaly skin and hair, constant hair loss, and others.

I see him/her up in Charlottesville the Monday after the ORV RU, then the next day I have my every 6 months' liver scan, get some blood work done, and later that day i see my new liver doc... he's new this rotation, and I will have him for the next 2 years.

All those medical appointments mean that I'll not have the luxury of time to do some genealogy research while I'm on your side of the mountain; I'll just come over for the RU and head back home Sat. or Sun. so I can get my stuff together for 3 days in Charlottesville.

I need to scoot... my buddy Mike has something he wants me to look at up the road.
Has anyone heard from Kimberly or Howie?

Thumbnail by darius

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6352622

Darius, sorry that you are not feeling well. When I get my blood tests results back, I am thinking that I will be referred to an endrocrinologist too. My whole day today consisted of cooking breakfast, reading the paper, folding 1 load of clothes and then on the couch until late afternoon when I went to the kitchen and put together some food for supper. I am so tired and ache so much that my body told me that it just couldn't do any more.

I don't want to turn into the resident complainer here, so will read and lurk, (move over Lou) and if I manage to do anything of any importance will post then.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6353248

Happy Belated Birthday Bonnie! Hope it was a good day! Sorry to be so late!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #6353470

Does anyone on this list know if I can safely add shredded up magazines to my lasagna mulch pile? The newspaper's getting so small that the dog is using up all those papers for her weak bladder. I have a ton of Time & Newsweek & others that are just stapled together, not glued. This mulch might end up on the veggie bed, & I don't want to
1. Kill the tomatoes with all the bad news or
2. Kill the tomato eaters with some rare ink poisoning.

Bonnie, I don't think you have to worry abt becoming the resident complainer, as I've seized that role with too much energy lately!

My frittillaria persicas are showing blooms, yee haw!!!
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6354152

Pat, there are a couple of reasons not to use slicks in a lasagna bed. One, of course, is the inks which are often toxic. Another is that the slick paper is coated in manufacturing to make it slick, and some of the coatings are nasty stuff. Then there's the fact that the slicks don't break down very fast, which is good for suppressing the weeds underneath but not so good for anything planted in it because rain tends to run off rather than saturate through to the soil.

Why not check local recycling centers for more newsprint? That's where I get mine. Our newspaper is only 2X a week, just a skinny paper of local happenings, so it doesn't add up to any amount when making new beds. Which reminds me, I need to fetch some more to extend the edges of my raspberry bed...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6354185

darius good to know on the LaMontte. I don't know if its in my budget either. I guess a main concern is nitrogen ? is hard to test for ? or the test don't test for nitgrogen. ?
I just have to get some manure i think i will be ok this year. got plenty of leaves for carbon too :)
not much exciting here
Bonnie and darius i hope your test comes back and you can get some answers .
not to sure on the newpaper ? just depend on which section i guess. don't place the want ads on your plants , they might think they are getting replaced by hybrids ? LOL maybe the comics would be better. ? serioulsly i think you can do the paper but not the color glossy stuff.
ttyl
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6354409

Try brown paper bags.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6354587

Hey guys. Haven't been feeling too good, hard to get comfortable, meds make me sleepy. Been reading posts mostly on phone since it is hand-held. Hurts to swallow, am burpy as heck. LOL Feel like a pick's in back of my neck and shoulder hurts - all normal according to nurse. This too shall pass, and in the meantime I am to take it easy is all. I'm reading, just may not post much. Doc has me using a bone growth stimulator 24/7. Very compact unit, two little pads and pouch a little bigger than cassette tape.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6354727

Kimberly, when you are feeling better, you should explain the bone growth stimulator for me, how/why it works. It sounds interesting. Hope you can get comfortable soon!

Sue, the basic home test kits do test for NPK. I'm also looking at the ZipHarvest kits; they are for samples you send off, not home testing, but very comprehensive. http://www.zipharvest.com/Store/Catalog-Soil-Test-Kits_33.aspx
Standard Soil Test Kit includes an extensive laboratory analysis of available phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium, pH, buffer pH, cation exchange capacity, percentage base saturation, and organic matter content. (Keyword here is available.)

Premium Soil Test Kit includes all that, plus testing for sodium, nitrate nitrogen, excess lime and soluble salts.

Professional Soil Test Kit includes all the above, plus it provides analysis of sulfur, zinc, manganese, iron, copper and boron.

Here's a link for the La Motte test kits http://www.biconet.com/testing/LaMGarden.html

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6354846

Darius, and Sue, why are you not using the services of your county extension offices for the soil testing? They are free or low cost, and give results fairly quickly.
valrita

April 2, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6354977

My county extension does it for $20
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6354986

Thanks for the no- slick- paper explanation for the lasagna bed. I'll try the local recyclers once I'm done with this wedding. I've got tons of cardboard boxes, but haven't had much luck with them in the past-- either I didn't soak them enough, or didn't cut them down enough. My sis & I use brown paper bags for trash bags in the car, Toni, but maybe I should steal a few for the pile. Maybe I should make a couple grocery runs without the KRoger tote bags I've been using, & replenish the brown paper bag pile.
Kimberly,the word for today is distraction--- listen to music, the radio, the tube. Get a scented candle lit, or some nice fragrant flowers. Suck on a cherry or lemon drop. Keeping the rest of your nervous system busy should cut down on the misery from the surgery. Hope some of this helps!
Pat
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6355196

I spent some time out in our hammock, just sitting up in it. What a beautiful day. :) Howie's headed out for a walk and I'm back in the recliner. The dogs are whining...Wish he'd taken them with him! LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6355225

Bonnie, I had my soil test done last year by a state land-grant univ. for a small fee. My county extension office provides the sample boxes and instructions, but no longer does the testing. Frankly, I wasn't very satisfied at all with their recommendations. For example, they said my pH was okay, but by their number, it's a little high for most vegetables. However if I had 10 acres of vegetables, the pH is probably acceptable. (They seemed geared more to acreage and applying by the ton anyway.)

This time of the year they are swamped, and I'd just like a little more control and options.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6355227

Would paper towels work on the lasagna bed?? used or new..

My BIL is no better. Drs did a CatScan yesterday on his stomach and pelvis.

I got out in the garden today. Replanted some daylilies and irise that the winter had caused to rise out of the ground. Wild onions everywhere. There are so many things I want to do, but am not strong enough or have the stamina anymore. I need a gardener..lol..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6355234

Any kind of paper that breaks down is good for lasagna beds. I even used cardboard moving boxes left from my unpacking.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6355675

Flowering child...I know the feeling! Been working outside all afternoon here...and didn't accomplish much! Seems like I used to get a lot more done. I am so slow now...I just hate it! LOL..but nothing much I can do about it I guess..except hire a gardener...and I know hubby would squauk (sp?) about that! Hmmmm...I might sneak one in anyway...LOL!!!
Well Dave doesn't have glaucoma...in fact..today..his pressures were low!!!!! And the dr said everything looked really good in his eyes..and behind them. No signs of diabetes or glaucoma...or anything! So we were glad to hear that! Both run in his family.
I am off to the beauty shop to get beautiful...lol!! Think they can do anything to help????
Kimberley...glad to hear you got outside. It WAS a pretty day..even though a bit windy here.
Oh...and my knee pads work really good! But I will probably be sore tonight!
Well..better get ready to go here. Later all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6355724

Marcy great news about Dave.

Kimberly, just take it easy, and do as the Dr says. How long a recouperation is expected with this?

A bone stimulator is a small device used on the outside of the body, over the area that is needing treatment. It is similar to a tins unit for pain, in that it uses electrical impulses that stimulates the bone and causes it to begin healing. My sister had one implanted for about a year, in an ankle that was crushed in a car accident. They don't usually implant them, but from the wreck and the surgery, she ended up having a slow healing incision.

Well, I have felt some better today, but I usually don't make plans, because I don't know if I will feel like doing anything or not.

We have a church meeting and pot luck tonight, so I have had to do some cooking today in order to get ready for that. So need to head to the shower, and get the old body and hair polished and ready to be stuffed into something besides jeans.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6356107

Ummmm Bons...what else is there beside jeans or Bibs???
Rest up and be patient...It will go away soon...

Kimberley, you are only 4 days into it...don't expect miracles...muscle cutting, or not as in your case...when somebody goes in there and rearranges any portion of your spine, you are going to be sore for a bit...
Spinal/Neuro surgery is my forte, and I did most of it in the field before they ever got to the Neuro Surgeons...to stabilize them...There are more nerves around your backside than you can imagine...and you mess with just one and it is going to demand War on every one you own including the ones under your fingernails...LOL
Pats suggestion of mind alterting stimulation is the best I have heard of yet...Scented candles, anything like that...
(Disclaimer: This is NOT a medical opinion/diagnosis...)

Jim has a wonderful bone growth stimulator that looks alot like Marcys backside Clamshell/Turtleshell...VA paid almost 5K for it for him to use for 30 minutes a day for 30 days...If anyone knows anyone that is having spinal surgery from any Thorascic down into the Lumbar, let me know and I will be happy to loan it out...This one is a single football shaped pad, and the console is about the size of a small laptop, and stays in its case...takes 9V batteries...

I got rid of at least 6 Kubota buckets full of rocks today, plus all the pond grass on the backside, moved all of the rocks by the Redbud tree and pulled up the pond liner, and the Tree can stay where it is...;-)) Frost heaves had moved the rocks, not roots...and I'm talking 220 pounds plus size rocks...I have every one of them pulled away from the pond, that need to be at the moment...All roots and weeds are demolished...I have to add fill dirt around about 85% of the liner before rocks can go back down, but I have some of the rocks behind the liner to prop it up...I have 2 huge rocks that I kept for me, and I may have to have Bro come with the bucket and pull them up so I can stretch the liner when I am ready to get into the pond and get the plants and rocks out of it...That won't be till Cookie gets hers up and running and her big fish out of my big pond...I don't have room in my little preform job for hers and my Bunkies too...

Bro and Tony took all of my debris piles and loaded them in the kubota bucket and hauled them off for me...That saved me an entire days work and then some...I told him tonight there were a few rocks in the pile behind the garage that I wanted him to load and bring down to the pond, and Cookie can have the rest of them for her pond...and then I am going to clean that area up behind the garage...that's a real snake housing unit...Hi-rise condos even...with Penthouses!! LOL

Bro asked me when I wanted my secret garden plowed up, and I told him ASAP...He brought me 2 full buckets of wonderful drainage rocks for the drainage area under the new porch steps...The existing steps are being moved to the end of the porch, with a covered walk into the side garage door for rain or winter use...I am going to fix it in such a way that come fall, it will be able to be closed off on the garden side so the water can't reach the steps or the porch, so no more ice I hope...I am also planning to fix the porch, once I get it screened in, in such a way that I will have roll down curtains, to keep the rain and snow off of it...Then I can leave my porch rockers out there...I don't want them getting rained on and ruined...

I found one of the Bleeding hearts today!!!! Bless its little soul, it has 2 leaves coming up out of the dried mud...I crammed a stick down beside it to mark it so those with big feet don't stomp it till I can get it dug up and moved tomorrow...

I fixed a crockpot full of chicken and dumplings with veggies last night, and that is going to be a rerun for tonights supper...I put it on low about 2pm...I am making a pan of biscuits, and I'm done...I have been at it for 7 straight hours in that yard...mostly heaving rocks...so I think I am allowed to quit for the evening, and since it is 5pm here as well as somewhere on earth, I intend to have a chocolate biscotti with cranberry creme cheese for an appetizer with my burgundy kool-aid...so there!!

I hope you all have a wonderful evening...I am off to the rain locker...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6356533

hey gang
today went to work on GH and finaly got a door up yeah. Hope to get the back finished soon.
did some house stuff
then we got 4 more beds made in the garden yeah T put in the topsoil using the skidsteer.
T is going back to china on the 9th of April so we have to cram our days full of projects.
GW hope you feel better soon. :) take it easy.
Our extension doesn't do the test either . I sent one to a lab and it took a long time to get back several weeks. I didn't plan ahead this year. :(
i got my potatos today yeah !!! i took pics too i have LaRatte Fingerling and a German Butterball. Can't wait .
Dusty busy as always LOL . Wow on them rocks you hauled ! how are your knee's ?
Bonnie i m glad you are feeling better :) T&P for you
tomorrow another busy day and with rain too yuck
good night
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6356580

hi
hoping for some help
did i plant my peonies upside down ?
someone told me i did ? in the peony forum
thanks for any help

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6356589

this one just looked like a stick ? when i got it
i got them from a coop
thanks for your help

Thumbnail by taynors

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6356888

Did they tell you this yesterday?
If this were yesterday I'd tell you that indeed they are upside down too.
Look like peony sticks to me.
Ours have just broken ground, so up there sticks are about you'd see.
If the were upside down you'd see tubers...

Bonnie good news on the eyes!
No change is better than I'd hoped for...
What many here
may not know is my Mother gradually lost her sight over a 40 year period.
For the last 20 years she was essentially blind.
I feared that Bonnie was going the same route.
KUDOS for your Doc!

We're under a Tornado Watch here till midnight... calm now...

Here's a shot from Tuesday morning.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6357355

Ric, any appointment that I have with the eye doctors and they say no change is cause for celebration. I am glad that macular is a usually a slow disease. I have had sight for 62 years, and if I lose it, I will consider myself having a good life. I do have to see the macular specialist on April 15th, and am hoping for the same report.

Dusty, you sure did put in a long hard day. I want a fish pond, but don't know that I could do the manual labor required to get it up and running. Should have done that years ago, and all I would be doing now is maintenance.

Just got home from a church meeting, and pot luck, and DGD just got home from a movie with some friends, so we are all home and accounted for, so we can begin to get settled in for the night.
valrita

April 3, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6357640

Taynors, when I saw your other pics, I wondered if they were upside down. Can you post the other pics here? I'm only familiar with herbaceous peonies though so I didn't comment. Do you know the names of the peonies and what kind they are?

This is what some of mine look like right now.

Thumbnail by valrita

valrita

April 3, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6357683

This is another peony that isn't quite as far along. You can see four eyes in the pic.
The pic in the other thread that made me wonder if yours were upside down was peony 3

Of course if your peonies aren't herbaceous, this won't help you.

Thumbnail by valrita

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6358611

Good morning all!
Just got back from the sleep study. Then went to hospital so the vampires could draw all my blood work needed for the surgery. You would not believe all the test that had to be done. vial after vial was filled. This should at least give me an up to date status on all my vitals. Now just the stress test and endoscope and I'm ready for surgery!

We have had our daughter here all week. It was her spring break. We got some news that has us kinda in a fink. Jeff's ex wife factory is closing and she and the kids are moving to TX to work at their other factory there in the summer. Jeff is really tore up about it. We have spoiled her rotten this week. She and I have had lunch and shopping dates almost every day and she has always wanted to be blond so guess who made her a blond??? This economy is really tough right now and I understand people have to go where the jobs are. My sister and BIL are going to have to relocate to OKLA. or TENN. if they do not get jobs soon here. Their plant also is closing.

Our new room mate is leaving also. He was having a drug problem we did not know about. He is a really great guy, but we can't have that here and he checked into a dry out unit in GA.(his old home state) 30 days in lock down and 6 month supervised. I hope he makes it this time. He has done this 3 times so far. He is only 35-36. This pain pill problem I guess is really bad and affects a lot of people.

Well nasty and rainy here, so looks like an indoor day.
Everyone have a great day!!!
George
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6358931

George a step or two closer to the actual surgery, hurray.

So sorry to hear about the new blonde having to move to Tx, but as you say in this economy, it will probably have long reaching effects of many people. Just will have to save pennies, so that she can fly home a couple times a year.

Yep, it is nasty out today, so it will definitely be an inside day. Just got home from fetching DGD's cat from the vet. She was declawed, and seems to be handling it well. She hates a crate, and she hopped right out, not showing any signs of tenderness or pain.

Need to go out to the garden shed and water some of my little seedlings today, and get things ready for a shipment of plugs this coming week. Don't know what I was thinking when I ordered so many!! May have some that I will offer for trade at the RU.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6358987

Mornin' everyone... grey day here too. Yuck. AND, there's that 4 letter word showing up in the forecasts again, and it doesn't start with R...

Bonnie, good news on the doc appts! ...and Yippee for Geo, getting closer and closer to the big life-changing-for-the-good event!

Sue, I know nothing about peonies... not even that there exists more than one kind. (Mine look link Velnita's.) However, there's an encouraging photo here that makes me think of your stick... scroll down the page and you'll see it. http://peonyparadise.com/index.asp?ID=5&PageAction=Custom

Today is payday (SS) and I have grocery shopping to do!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6359314

Hi Taynors, with regard to your post here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6356580 - and apologies to everyone to whom I'm behind in answering dmail, I have a couple of ideas that might help figure out what to do about your peony.

First - could you let us know what the label says? There's basically two kinds of peonies and it'll help to know which one we've got here. There's the herbaceous kind, where the top dies down every winter, and then there's the tree kind, where the top is like a woody shrub and although it loses its leaves, the branching stays above ground over winter. We might be able to find out from DG PlantFiles which one it is, if the label at least gives us the name of the cultivar you have there.

If it's a tree peony, then you might have it planted right.

But if it's herbaceous, it might have looked like the 2nd picture labeled Big Ben on this link before you planted it. Did your peony have those little reddish nubs above the roots? - http://www.paeonia.ch/basissee/testae.htm

Hope this helps - this is a gorgeous website website for lovers of peonies; click on the Site Map button in left column for an index to the site.

Kimberley, I hate what you've been going through since that car accident, but relieved you've been able to have such great medical care and have good prospects for healing. I hope today gets better for ya and that ya take lots of time to sniff roses and whatever all the equivalents may be for you while you continue healing.

I admire the creativity and warmth with which y'all encounter your day-to-day lives and wish everyone well - back to lurking.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6359322

You're almost there, George! I'm excited for you. Sorry to hear Jeff's ex and kids have to move to Texas. I know it must be really hard for you guys.

I got up and showered first thing so I'm ready to go out if I feel up to it. A friend from Bou is loaning Howie his parking pass for when he and his brothers go to a Columbus Bluejackets game tomorrow, so said he'll just bring it to the shop this evening. I don't know how long I'll be able to hang out at the coffee shop, but I'd like to give it a try for a bit.

We watched a good movie last night, "In Harm's Way". It was filmed in black and white and boasts an all-star cast. Have any of you seen it?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6359327

Goodmorning, All! Just stopped by to catch up on everything I missed this past few days. Arrived back in Arkansa last night. Everything at home was great. Doesn't look like I lost any plants. From the looks of the plants that have already started coming up, looks like it will be beautiful when we return home this summer. Minimal tree damage along the wooded areas...nothing major.

Bonnie, another belated Happy Birthday to you! Sorry I missed it. Yeah on the test results!

Yeah, GW! Hang in there, it will get better!

Darius, don't you be over-doing it out there!

Will check back later. Robin

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6359357

Kimberly, that movie is a great old classic; I've seen it several times!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6360781

They are not tree peonys . I went out and dug some up and they do have eyes on them but i m told to either dig them up and do them right side up or dig em up and repot them and transplant in fall. I don't have any pots so i think the next sunny day i will dig em up and put them right side up and make sure only 2 " deep ? so i m told.
The lables have the nursery name on them . I will have to get my receit and get the names.
when i got them bare root , they just looked like sticks ? with no eyes on them as far as i remember ? that is what was so funny about them. the other peonys look ok just the new ones i planted last fall. So i just am figuring this out LOL sheesh i m such a newbie !!!
Geo many T&P for you . I know how close you are to the girl and she sure needs you and Jeff. I m sorry they have to move. You sure have had your hands full with all this stuff going on with a roommate and other stuff for your health . Thinking of you :)
many hugs and sugar coated loves to you all
sorry can't stay long
kids want to watch the movie Marley and Me .
hugs
sue

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6360863

Sue, sounds like you're on the right track, planting nubs side up, about 2" below ground level. We were all once newbies - DH and I once hurriedly planted mums after work with daylight quickly fading - in the morning, all their little rootskies were waving in the air - not good. After that, we made better use of lanterns and flashlights and took our time.

Darius, am hoping for good results from your next appointment at UVA - ditto to the above with regard to using moderation this weekend.

And am sending positive hopes for speedy recovery to George for your upcoming surgery.

My eyes are quitting on me right now, so am heading back into lurk mode - hope everyone gets to experience the magic of spring - spice bush (Lindera benzoin) was in flower in the woods today and the green of grass and charcoal of stormy sky all seemed illumined from within by the sun chasing the clouds. We had just picked up the ashes of the world's friendliest cat, and it was healing.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6361498

Evening everybody. It has been a 1 pain pill day here, so a good one. I even went out to the garden shed, and got all my pots ready for the plugs that will be coming the first of the week. We went out for dinner with some friends and had good food and a great time. These are our adopted grandparents

Sue I don't remember having peonies that had a stick in them. Of course it has been a long time since I planted any. Don't worry about the newbie status, we all were once. Just remember if you have to lay sod, green side up!!

Kimberly glad that you are up and about, sure hope that this is the cure that has been needed.

Robin, great that you had no damage at your place, and that you had no plant damage.

Well gonna check some other forums, and off to bed.

Bluespiral, don't be a lurker, post as often as you can. What is wrong with your eyes? I have macular and sometimes have some problems reading here, but just do come here as much as you can.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6361774

Hi everyone.
Sue...it must be a tree peony. I don't know that much about them, but I planted a yellow one last fall that is a cross between an herbaceous and a tree peony. I looked at it yesterday and it has a stick like that ...with sprouts coming up too. And looks like buds on the the stick in places too. So maybe that is what you have?
Well it was a cold, nasty day here...and I didn't do my shopping until tonight. That way...Dave got to carry everything in for me...lol.
Tomorrow, my younger brother and his wife are coming from southern Ohio and my older brother from New Carlisle...and we are all meeting to have lunch at the I 75-I70 interchange...where all the restaurants are...Miller Lane. Not sure what restaurant yet. My older brother will be operated on next Wednesday for cancer. They will remove his bladder, prostate, and lymph nodes in that area. They are saying this will eliminate the cancer. I certainly hope so. Would appreciate any and all prayers for him. His name is Dave also.
I still have this eye condition. I'm pretty sure it's conjunctivitis...but havent gone to the dr.
Come Monday...I am calling him...as it doesn't seem to be much better...and I am tired of it. Have to be well by Easter...or my gkids won't be coming!!! Can't have that!
Hope you all have a great weekend.
Huggs,
Marcy
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6361795

Marcy, I will add Dave to my prayer list. Sure hope the surgery is successful, and that he will regain his health. Enjoy the lunch tomorrow with the siblings. Those times are so special. Great timing on the shopping. By the time I have put the groceries in the cart, unloaded them at checkout and carry them to the car, then to the house by myself, I find myself not in a good mood. That is when thankfully my DH isn't around to take my wrath. It is so nice to have some help from the car to the house and then the putting away.

I was thinking that Sue's photos must be of a tree peony, as mine have nothing that looks like that.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6361929

Sue, if it is a tree peony, it usually starts out looking like a stick, with the tree peony part grafted on to a herbaceous peony and then you have to plant it deeper. We did not and so all around the tree peony is the herbaceous part sprouting up obviously different looking leaves and stems.

However, I think those sticks are usually sent in bundles to growers who later sell them to people like us when it has more branches.

Just another lurker.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6361944

Hi Esther, miss seeing you around. Hope all is well with you and Bob. Are you getting antsy like the rest of us to get out and get started gardening? I think your thoughts about the peony are right on.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6362913

ok will look into the tree peony good to know
Bonnie glad you hada good time with friends, can't beat good food and good friends. :)
bluespiral thanks for the info , helps alot for us newbies :)
Marcy big ((())) and prayers for your bro and your family . Have a great time at lunch .
Ester don' t be a lurker , stick around LOL get it" stick around ". My peonys are sticks LOLLL yeah ok i m corny :P
have a great day everyone
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6363261

Thanks all for the prayers and thoughts for my brother.
Esther...good to see you!!! Thanks for the info on the tree peony too. So my sprouts at the bottom may not be the peony I planted last fall? Hmmmm...I planted it at the same depth it was in the pot. I sure hope it comes back yellow! Guess I will find out huh?
Bonnie, yessss!! It WAS nice to have some help for a change! It was so windy and cold here yesterday...YUK!!! I am SOOOOOO ready for spring!!
Ok...I better get busy and get ready to go here. Have close to an hour drive to get there!
Have a great day everyone!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6364942

good evening all
Marcy just be glad your not in Fargo North Dakota yikes i think they are still getting snow by the foot
went out to eat . Ok i guess over priced fish if you ask me . We had cake too so my eating is really of the diet yikes.
got my peonys replanted . We shall hope for the best . :)
went to mall and got oldest DD a pay as you go phone. She can only have 50 bucks worth of min and then its "to bad get a job if you want more minutes " . Im so in denial ? !! LOL ;p
off to watch a movie
good night
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6365577

Hey All, Stranger Cookie here!!!

I had Kavin last week and two days of the previous week and I can tell you all that it is definitely fact that raising kids should be done by the young. Wow...what a handful! He won't be two until later this month, and he is 36 inches tall and weighs 42 pounds. What a bruiser! He loves it outside though and we spent lots of time out, with walks to Dusty and Bertie's houses. Jordyn came and helped out on Thursday and yesterday. What a blessing she was!

I'll try not to be missing so much!

Hope everyone is doing okay.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6365630

Haven't posted today, it was a busy one. Took DGD shopping for her birthday today, and couldn't find anything that appealed to her, so got her a nice Penney's gift card, and she can use that whenever she wants. Had to go to the bank and library, so finally got home about 1 pm, put a meatloaf in the oven for tomorrow's lunch, and that is about all I got accomplished. Just in too much pain to do anything.

Sorry for being a downer to this thread, but am hoping that I get test results back this coming week, and a solution to this health problem I am currently dealing with.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6365787

Just got in from the wedding, at Krohn Conservatory. No butterflies yet, but they had so many easter lilies I thought I was going to pass out. They also had a spectacular orange flower that I'm going to have to check out. Food, wedding good except half of the bridal party had sun in their eyes, & me too. I'm glad I know that service pretty well, because I sure couldn't see my prayer book most of the time. We had ! Corinthians chapter 13 read twice: once in English, & once in German, for that side of the family. The groom's cousin from Stuttgart read it in German. Met some really lovely people, & also found a lot of grief, even at such a happy occasion. People hurting becaause of lost jobs, lots of people without health insurance. I forget how many people want to talk to someone in a collar! And it's really a privilege to hear people's stories. But, man, my feet are TIRED!

Hope everyone who's hurting or frustrated gets some relief, some answers, & some hope, in any order.
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6366663

Good Morning! I've been up and about for a while, unusually early for me in the last 6 months. Supposed to warm up later (frost now) but then ugly most of the week.

They finally got my SS check right, and I shot the wad (shortage they owed me) yesterday! I got 6 cedar posts to put up another row of fence/trellis for peas and beans, and a cheapie come-along so I can pull some of the sumac saplings before they take over the side yard. Then on the way home I got another 2 scoops of mulch (better, and from a different place) and a 4' x 300' roll of weed cloth.

After mowing twice already this spring, I decided that I need to put a larger area of mulch around the tiny fruit bushes I planted last year; I broke a branch off 2 of them trying to mow too close. (and I HATE using the weed-eater!) So I'll put down a square of weed cloth and mulch each one better. I did one long strip 4' x 15' with 3 shrubs in it last evening. Fun job in the wind, LOL. Thought I'd take a photo this morning but it was white with frost on the mulch.

I have 14 more small fruit trees and shrubs (mostly shrubs) finally shipping this week and I'd REALLY like to get all the planting holes dug ahead of time, and the posts set for the pea/bean row. Each hole will be a pain... this ground is very compacted where it has been driven over for years, and it's very rocky, especially closer to the creek.

It's too bad I can't find a young man who is willing to work while I have a few dollars.

Bonnie, sorry you are still in pain.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6366704

GOod morning
COokie good to see you.
Bonnie don't worry about being a downer , we are here for you :)
Goshmom wow . I hope your feet feel better today :) easter lilys are wonderful . Sounds like a wonderful wedding.
darius i hate the weed eater too !!! i hate them things. Ours are so heavy to carry around. uhg.
we are off to Beavercreek i have a pot that needs looking at . We need to take it to the store we bought it from
off to shower T says i have too LOLLLL
hugs
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6366737

((((Bonnie))))), don't apologize, we're here to be your uppers!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6366830

Morning all!

It's been busy around here. Soccer started last week. The baby is keeping me busy too. He's a feeding machine! I finally got out for a little bit yesterday and moved some of the gravel in the driveway. I'm hoping to get some mulch on my seedling bed today.

Mystic posted that her second grand baby arrived. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971321/

I should be starting a job in the upcoming week! It's a research job that I can do at home. :) Craig is still waiting to hear back from the computer company he interviewed with. We've been blessed so much, it's hard to expect more but that second job would be a dream come true for us.

I'm sorry some of you are ill, worried or not feeling well. Once spring really gets here, I hope everyone gets to feeling better. I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers for tests to come back favorable and encouraging.

I guess I better go change a diaper. I think that song is for me. LOL

Have a great day!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6366861

Goodmorning, Fellow Gardeners!

WhooHoo, Darius! (on the SS getting right) I did the same thing last year with 3 shrubs, laying the weedblocker and mulched with grass/hay clippings that Al bagged with the mower. I also planted cantaloupe seeds on both sides of the center one and it filled in really nicely. I planted watermelon seeds under and between the 2 peach trees. Loved the look of it and it sure made mowing easier. I just turned any vines that ventured out in the mowing area back toward the center. When I was home this last week and planted all of my garden seed, I went ahead and stuck a couple of cantaloupe or watermelon under each of the 8 fruit trees.

Sue...won't ask why T said you had to take a shower so early...

Bonnie, T & P with you that you start feeling better soon.

Cookie, sounds like you had a wonderful time with the little one!

Pat, the wedding sounds beautiful! Yes, amazing that so many people have so many problems and have no one to confide in. I'm sure they appreciated you listening.

Nothing going on here...too early to get into anything. Probably won't anyway, since we have the house to ourselves today and Al is worn out from the long week.

wishing you all a bright and sunny day!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6366928

It's wonderful outside today. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I intend to!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6367042

Sue it's a shame you didn't do the pot thing yesterday.
We were in B'Creek!
Where did you get the pot?

(((Bonnie)))

We bought a cordless weed whip a few years ago.
B & D and it works perfectly.
About 45 minutes on a charge.
Light weight... won't do saplings as it's a line type but great around here.

Darius and Sue you guys need to get a goat...

Well I posted last night but it got eaten... Dave's kept going off-line.
We have the LR ceiling sanded, the walls primed and the trim mostly up.
The front porch post is repaired and a new light put in.
Kitchen cabs are all in and primed. Counter top installed.
That was a bear as the walls are all wonky.
There are NO 90 degree corners in this place.
All are at least 5 degrees + or - off...
There were 7 of us and it went pretty quickly.

The at 6 it was off to my Nephew's 40th birthday.
We were talking w/ to the wife of one his friends.
The are remodeling so we turned her on to Home Emporium for the tile and rock.
Then plants came up and we invited her here to Dave's and specifically to the RU.
So we'll see...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6367079

Looks like it's time to drop some Brownie crumbs...

Continued to here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971542/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America