Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Fruits: papaya seeds

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 3, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
midshadow
Windsor, ON

March 25, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6317241

I bought a papaya at the grocery store and would like to plant some seeds. I have rinsed them so do I have to dry them out? What do I do next? Also there are so many I would to save some for future use. How do I store them and how long do they last? Thanks for any help.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

March 29, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6335010

Papaya seeds aren't too hard to germinate but follow the guidelines here: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/papaya.html

I haven't had any damping off problems as long as I sterilize the potting mix according to the directions in the link. If you get past this point, post back, because there are some specific issues related to growing containerized papaya up north here.

Also, do you intend to try to get fruit? You may not know for some time whether you have male, female, or hermaphroditic plants. Needless to say, you will get no fruit from male plants.
midshadow
Windsor, ON

March 31, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6342664

Thanks Stressbaby I have already planted a few seeds but I will try some more in sterilized soil. I didn't think I could get fruit indoors. I will post back when hopefully something happens.
dmtom
Deep South, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #8075488

A male with wet feet will morph and produce a single round fruit with one seed. Or so I was told by a freind from Hi. We ate one.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 8:58 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America