Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Sexing Black Copper Maran Chicks?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 30, Views: 225
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 25, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6317900

Hello all you pros out there. I read your posts everyday but rarely comment. I have three eggs hatching today, what cuties! I have heard that the only way to know about the black copper maran's sex, is to wait until they either lay an egg or crow. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6318152

I do believe the males get color faster in the comb than females and the wattlers grow in quicker. I hope this helps. I will let some others give input. I have a heck of a time telling the difference. hehehe Good luck on the eggs!!! They do lay the most beautiful dark eggs. ♥ Have a great day... chime in on any thread. It would be great to hear from you.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

March 25, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6318827

I haven't had a BCM, but I have had cuckoo, black, blue, and blue copper Marans. The cuckoo you can usually sex at hatching by the males being much lighter and having a more diffuse head spot. Mine have also been larger than the pullets. The others I couldn't tell until the male's comb started to develop--which was very late in the black Marans. All my Marans pullets have had very small combs, unlike some RIR and Welsummers which can have very large wattles and combs. So I think as soon as you start seeing what sewincircle describes, the comb getting redder and larger, you have a good chance of identifying the roos. The Cuckoo Marans roos I have had have also been built like tanks and very cocky.
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 25, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6318830

Thanks! So the bottom line is, just wait and see. :)
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6319232

Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted. :( My black maran mixes did mature within 2 months. That may seem like a long time but How time flys. :o good luck
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 25, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6319452

Hi neofarmer: That was actually pretty good info from Catscan & Sew. The head of the Marans all have a light or yellow spot on the top of their head, generally very easy to detect, but if and when its really hard to detect, you usuallly have a ROO. And yes as Catscan said very COCKY,LOL , no pun intended. Join us more often, Haystack
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 25, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6319491

Hi everyone, So far I have two chicks out of the three eggs, but today is just day 21, so maybe the other one will hatch, too. I don' hear any peeps coming out of it yet. I have never raised chicks in an incubator, and I tried to candle them once along the way, but the shells were just too dark for me to see.

That is interesting information about the yellow spot on the head. Only one of them is fluffed out but both of their heads and bodies are black. Are the black copper marans supposed to have a spot, too?
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6319670

I do not think so (about the spot) I believe just the cuckoo.
Congrats!!! Two out of three so far...WAY TO GO!!!!! Are these your first babies?
Can you post a picture once they are all fluffy wuffy? hehehe
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6320193

TWT Squad! Pronto!
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6320622

This photo was taken under the red light, but here they are!

Thumbnail by neofarmer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6320640

My first babies arrived last year in July from My Pet Chicken. I am watching them out my window right now, what beautiful ladies. :) Here are some shots from January when they were experiencing snow for the first time. Looks like chicken Twister!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 8:02 PM

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6320644

Here is Della. She is definitely the queen of the coup!

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6320647

Its like eating snow cones!

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6320655

I love their colors in the late evening sunlight.

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6320660

ok, last one! I have waaaay too many chicken pictures!

Thumbnail by neofarmer

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6320677

Wow! Great pictures and **beautiful** chickens! What a lovely assortment.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

March 26, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6320761

Love your chicken pictures. Is Della a Delaware? She looks just like my Delphine who was a Delaware and also the queen of the coop, till she flew it.
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6320808

Thanks! I love photography. My card reader died a while back so today was the first time I was able to view all the photos I took since late last Summer.

A far as breeds go, it was like the ark, two by twos. Plus Sally, my Salmon Faverolle, and CeeCee, a silver sebright. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the personalities of the breeds.

I went out to call them into the coup a minute ago then heard one of them calling from across the yard. It was CeeCee, up on top of my roof! Now that was a first. She really can fly, almost like a pigeon. :) Here is a photo of Sally and CeeCee hiding behind the Judge Judy, the Americana

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6320819

Yep, she's a Delaware. At four days old she established herself as queen, when a neighbor's cat slipped through the cat door to my house to check out the peeping noises. Della called very loudly for me and I came running. I crowned her that day, and no one has managed to de-thrown her, but the Dominiquers come close. They are very demanding ladies! They pecked on all the other chicks so much when they arrived that I held them more than the others to tame them. Now they peck, hard, on my legs for me to pick them up again. :)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 26, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6320963

Love the pic's, colorful names, and a great sense of humor. Where have you been, thanks so much for sharing. Haystack
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6320990

Hi Haystack. Thank you. I have been here all along, enjoying and learning from everyone. You guys have been a tremendous help! But I hope I NEVER have to put my finger up a chicken's butt, break the shell with my fingernail and . . .

;)

I posted on here last year when I first got my chicks and bunnies. I already had the pygmy goats, they were my husband's. He died from a massive heart attack last year, so I am left taking care of all the animals! I also have fibromyalgia and had to quit my job this January. Add to that, I have been helping a friend go through a terrible divorce since last August, so I haven't had time to post. But now that I have a new card reader, I'll try to post more photos.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2009 9:28 AM
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6321041

Just found the thread from last year, you can see my ladies as wee chicks:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/868470/

sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6321366

I LOVE chicken twister!!! What fun! I do love Della. She is a beauty. I do indeed hope to see you around often. (and more pictures) hehehe You have a wonderfyl looking flock. Thanks for sharing.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6321630

Sorry to hear about the past year's difficult times, Neofarmer. Sounds like you've been through a lot!!

How are the pygmy goats?! I think they need a thread of their own!
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6322736

Thank you, CMoxon. It has indeed been a difficult time, but God is good and life goes on. I just found some garden photos in with the chicken photos. I cannot believe that what I see out my window NOW, used to look like this. We just have to be patient to catch up to the good things!

Thumbnail by neofarmer

neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 26, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6322762

Back to the new babies. The third egg was empty, so I have two sweeties. The second one to hatch was much bigger and has had difficulty standing up. Even on paper towels it's legs were splaying, so I spent the day doing little exercises with it. I slipped my fingers under its tummy and supported some of its weight so that it could strengthen its legs. Seems to be doing better this morning. I am not getting anything done! I just stand and watch them nap. ;)

I'll put up some more photos shortly.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6322977

I know how that goes! Tick tock... still nothing done. But boy are they not the cutest!!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 29, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6333857

Neo: Where did you get the black copper marans eggs?? I have been looking but it seems they are hard to find. Haystack
Catscan
Lodi
United States

March 29, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6333876

There are a lot of Black Copper Marans on eggbid and eBay--but they can be pricey. Some lines are better known--they cost more
virginbred
Edisto Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6333923

neo...i loved seeing the pics of your chickens or girls!!! great photography btw...can't get to many chicken pics on this forum...a beautiful colorful assortment...nice job!!! virginia
neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

March 31, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6346752

Thanks Virginbred! I took some more photos yesterday. My girls are 9 mos now and laying some right purty eggs. I'll put some more up of the baby marans as well.

Haystack, I buy everything from mypetchicken.com
They are very friendly, love chickens and will ship as few as 3 chicks. They sex the chicks, and for a fee will even sex the bantams.

I think the Black Copper Maran eggs were 11 bucks each, but I knew I would be pleased with the outcome. They shipped 4 eggs, but my little incubator only holds 3. eeek. So I put the extra one in with the girls, although no one is broody, yet, there is always a big fat hen sitting on the nest. I left a few eggs in the nest along with the maran egg, then after a few days it simply disappeared. Dinner I am assuming. Maybe they recognized that it did not belong to them. Who knows.

But 2 of the 3 in the incubator hatched just fine, and I am glad because I ordered the incubator and the eggs on the same day. The website said to patient, that the eggs might take a couple of months, but mine arrived two days later! The eggs arrived five days before the incubator, so I was afraid I might have lost them. But they are chirping at me as I type. Such sweeties!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America