Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: Agh! Freezer Burn!

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 9, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6322313

I don't recall losing food as often as lately. And that may be that my fridge is to old ??? or set to cold on the freezer? Anyhow unless it's vaccuum packed, like sausages all things get freezer burn. It takes long for factory sealed packages unopened like veggies or shredded cheese but anything that's been opened, even if re-closed in it's packaging it turns into a glacier! I mean I tossed tons of uncooked chicken breasts, some rolls, some corn dogs, etc because everything was ruined.

I even buy freezer bags. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 26, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6322620

It is the frost-free freezer. You need at least a half inch of space away from the sides for anything in them. They use heaters to melt any ice buildup, and packaged goods will thaw, too.

Freezer bags are better than nothing, but vacuum sealing is better still. Look for a sale at Kohl's and get one. Walmart, Kohl's, Academy, Bass Pro Shops, etc. all have them and the rolls to make your own bags (which are much cheaper than buying pre-made bags.

A dedicated freezer helps, too. The fewer times the door is opened, the better, and with a combination refigerator / freezer, there is always some air flow between them.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6322635

Thank-you Bubba for the tips!

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

March 28, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6329701

I bought a Sears vacuum sealer last spring and absolutely love it. Have tried freezing all sorts of things. Works great for fruit as long as you freeze it first. Everything must be frozen first or the liquid gets sucked out. I was not impressed with the Sears bags, as I had quite a few that lost their seal. I now buy the Foodsaver Bags at Costco and have not had trouble with any of them. Everything I have vacuum sealed has been in great shape.
MIght be worth the investment!

Glenda
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2009
6:55 AM

Post #6330383

Yes DH bought something like this recently we'll be needing to try it.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6331801

I also use my foodsaver a lot & that helps so very much. My biggest problem is wasting the bags when it's something you open frequently. I've been using the reynolds handi-vac a lot - http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/handi_vac/en/home.asp. While it doesn't have the power of the big food saver, it does a good job. I like that you can open, close & reseal the bags. I use it for small items that I reopen & close, or for things that I know won't stay in the freezer too long.
Jo-Ann
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 28, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6331997

i posted something a long while back about freezer burn--i wondered if i should use some things from the freezer and after good dave's garden advice i used things that i would have otherwise thrown out--i think it was a london broil and chicken and shrimp---i found that using the crock pot and using in gumbo and soup etc the meat worked fine--so if you find some freezer burn that you are thinking of throwing out you might want to rethink that

but of course the best is to avoid it if you can and so the advice from this thread is great!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6332074

I don't mind a little but whew when I saw no pink of the chicken it was literally alll encrusted in ice I couldn't do it. Sad to chuck it since it's so wasteful.

Yes we have the mini Reynolds sealer to :)
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

March 28, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6332160

I package all my meat and fruit in small servings. Chicken, usually 2 or 3 breasts, or maybe 6 for a possible larger meal. Ground beef, one pound. 1 cup of fruit, or in the case of rhubarb, enough to make a crisp. etc etc I find it easier to do smaller servings, and then you aren't having to repackage all the time.
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 28, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6332837

i forgot to mention that someone suggested i cut off the "burn" part of the meat and i did--when it was partly frozen still and so easy to slice off

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America