-
AuthorContent
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6322733

For your average milk goat (not the champion milkers), how much could one expect from each milking? I know this depends on the breed, so if you've had experience with a particular breed, I'd be especially interested.

Thanks,
Jay
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6322776

Alpine, Saanen, Toggenburg, Oberhasli & LaMancha should provide an average of 3 liters a day over a 10 month lactation.

Nubians should provide an average of 2.5 liters a day over 10 month lactation.

Pygmy goats and Nigerian Dwarf goats produce 1 to 3 liters a day.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6322805

Claire, do you have any info on the taste differences of the milk, between breeds? I seem to remember reading that Toggenburg for instance have a stronger tasting milk, and I know that seemed to be true when I tried some one time from a Togg.

I realize what they eat can make a big difference, but if all were fed the same, which have the "sweetest" tasting milk?
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6322937

I don't know much about that Gallesfarm. I noted that on the Fiasco Farm site, which has a wealth of goat information, that they say Toggs were originally bred to produce milk for cheesemaking and their milk can be on the "strong" side, which does not always taste good for drinking. I have also read that Oberhasli is the closest to cow's milk in flavor, which might make it the "sweetest"?
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6323061

There used to be a Tog B-grade dairy near Abq. and their fresh cheese was goaty, but they also had bucks within 300' of the milking herd, which I've heard will taint the milk. My friend that had champion saanens kept her buck waaaaaay far away from the girls.

Thanks, C. =0) Is that grade goats or champion lines? Can one expect the typical 'backyard' Nubian to give that much? =0)

Gotta wonder if that pygmy goat that milks 3 L a day's back feet can touch the ground! LOL
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6323069

Jay, yes, that's grade goats. Champions (Saanens in particular) seem capable of 7 to 9 liters a day!!

Yes, the typical backyard Nubian should give that much, unless it's a mini-Nubian, i.e. cross between Nubian and a pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf.

Our pygmy is giving closer to the 1 to 1.5 L amount. I think she'd be making more if we'd been very religious about milking her twice a day, but we weren't, so she isn't!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6323325

Okey-dokey, don't think I'll consider a saanen! =0)
I like the snow flake pattern on some nubians, and the la mancha's are supposed to be particularly sweet.

But everytime I say that, someone tells me a la mancha horror story. LOL
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6323525

Our Nubians are very sweet, but they were handled a lot by their former owners, so I attribute some of their good nature to that handling. The Toggenburg we had for a short time was beastly, but again, we only had the 1, so that would be an unfair generalization for me to make. I think the Oberhasli are very pretty - I wouldn't mind having one of those. They do say that single goats are very unhappy because they are herd animals and enjoy companionship. For that reason, you might want to consider a pair of Nigerian Dwarf goats who will keep each other company and produce the same amount of milk as a single larger goat?
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6323586

I like the Oberhasli, too, but it's rare out here, so probably pricey. Nubians, alpines, and dwarfs are pretty common, so wouldn't be hard to come by. It's a nice idea to have two dwarfs... I could rotate them so I'd never be out of milk and they could have a longer dry period.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6323613

They are also my most "lap goat" breeds - I have several who are right at my feet anytime I go into the pen and just want some scratches and hugs. One of them gets into my lap if I let her. They are really sweet natured if you can find ones who have been handled from an early age. This helps a LOT with milking of course.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6323627

Oh yes, I've done my stint milking wild goats...
LOL
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

March 28, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6330944

hi all
well we had a baby goat last night
we got to bottle feed it
it is a little boy
his mother have what they call hard bag
does any one know what to do for her
elle
grownut
Clarkson, KY

March 28, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6331199

fiascofarm should have info. The cabbage leaf thing comes to mind -massage leaf until thoroughly bruised and apply directly to bag. There are a couple of goat links on the reference thread.

fish around in here maybe?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5884362
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6331215

Could just be congestion, rather than mastitis. Let the baby nurse and see if the udder softens in a couple of days...

http://www.goatwisdom.com/udder_care.html
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6342094

We've had all breeds and LaManchas are the nicest. They also have a higher butterfat content in their milk and therefore make better cheese.

Nubiens are the class clowns and much fun.
The Alpines tend to be more agressive.

Ginger
Catscan
Lodi
United States

March 31, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6342753

What does it mean in the goat world to be "nice"?
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6342767

NIce=Sweet tempered. Friendly...Not aggressive.

Ginger
Catscan
Lodi
United States

March 31, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6342948

Can you get over the lack of ears? For some reason I find it disturbing in pictures. Maybe the effect is different in person?
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

March 31, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6344531

hi all
all goat are fine
we got 5 baby
3 girl
2 boy
elle
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6344701

Wonderful news elle, hooray for all the healthy, happy babies and moms! Enjoy the bouncing. =0)

Cavort, cavort, cavort... LOL
Jay
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

March 31, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6345252

hi all
thank
we are getting a little tryer
be glady went it just 3or4 bottle a day
have a happy day
elle
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6345289

I'll bet you're getting worn out... how many are you bottle feeding? How many does are you milking? I'd like to hear a little about your set-up.

=0) Jay
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6345402

I swore I would not ever get any of those "Alien looking goats with no ears". Then I was at a meat auction on the prowl for donkeys and saw a LaMancha doe in the pen with the meat goats.
I stuck my head in and she stood up on the side..batted her long white eyelashes at me, stuck her nose along my cheek and whispered "Don't let them eat me" in my ear.

I took her home.
Her name is Starlight.

Now you can see why I'm not allowed to go to the auctions anymore.

Ginger
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6345416

Jay this is Elles DH Just got one on the bottle right now His mother has a bad bag it seems and doesn't let down any milk Our milk goat has week and half old twins on her right now so will let her feed them till there six or seven weeks old and then fight her about milking This little buck was weak and we've been keeping his feed close together will start spreading them out in the next few days. Then we will feed about midnight and then about seven in the morning then four or five apart during the day right now it is 2 A.M. and again by 7 A.M. And by the time your in your sixties that is to short of a night lol
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6345486

Hi dave,
Too bad that little buck isn't here. As I get older, I find I'm waking up more in the middle of the night. I think I got it from my mother; she slept less and less the older she got. So 2 am would be nooo problem, LOL. Give me something to do besides bore myself.

Has the doe with the bad bag ever had that problem before?

What kind of goats do you have? I don't have any goats right now, but I think I'd like to again someday. Maybe when I'm 60? (not that far off)

=0) Jay
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6345621

I think she did last year but wasn't smart enough to realize Until she lost her baby Then I wasn't sure But was watching her this year to see. She would be gone but she takes care of all our first time does kids when new mothers don't watch them like they should you look down in the field see 5 or 6 kids climbing all over her We have several breeds three are dairy most or boar or boar crosses and I use a Boar buck over them
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6345712

Did you see the website I posted a link to about dairy goats? They had a section on there about does with no opening in their udders and how to treat it. She sounds like a good mother, so maybe it's worth trying to fix?

Have you ever milked one of your boers? How much do they give? There are a lot of boers around here and I've been wondering if they might be worth milking if you didn't need a lot.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

April 1, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6348944

I've only milked unwilling new mothers (Boer) Wouldn't recommend that!! Can't much imagine getting more than a quart, but of course I could be waaay off...
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6349083

LOL
Yes, I've milked the unwilling... or at least tried to. =0)
A quart a day would about do for me.
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6349745

Now you know where "Kick the bucket" comes from...LOL

Ginger
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6349766

Oh, if it had only been the bucket!
LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America