Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Lace and Clay

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 58, Views: 488
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6324733

Does anyone here collect lace to use as imprints in your clay crafting?
I am going to post some pics of the process I use and would love to see anyones projects they did using lace
Here is pic # 1

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6324735

pic #2

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6324740

pic # 3

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6324744

pic # 4

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6324748

Pic #5

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6324760

puting clay on plater, for the shaping and drying

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6324764

Finished and ready to dry , will do final clean up when it is dry in a few days,,

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6324769

I cut up all the scraps to make tiles for mosaics. Waste not want not,, becides supplies are just to expensive to thow out.

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6325005

Elfs,
Do you use a rolling pin to impress the lace into the clay? What would the final piece be?

deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6325016

I'm so glad you posted this. One of my favorite fellow-students used antique doilies, lace, etc., to impress clay, then she'd put a clab over a form to make a bowl or something else beautiful. Her pieces were always so delicate-looking!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6325044

They would make beautiful flower pots also.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6325079

Do you all use a rolling pin to impress the design into the clay?

deb

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6325111

Here is what Elf wrote on another thread...

Elfs_Garden
Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6319975

I have made several cool tiles and platers using old lace dolies, you roll out your clay and then lay the dolies on top of tthe clay and then you use a rolling pin to impress the desighn from the lace into the clay.
I am always looking for something different to press into my clay!

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6325276

Thanks Synda,
THat's what I thought it was. I'll have to try it!

Deb
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 27, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6326223

I have a friend that used handmade paper in elaborate patterns to make plaster casts for texture and they are so unusual and beautiful.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6326495

Really? I would love to learn how to make my own plaster cast molds. That way I would be able to keep a design I like the most.

I rarely use a rolling pin, I just run everything though my home made clay press and it gives me the perfect thickness to work with.

I do not think my stuff is good enough to sell.

scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

March 27, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6326785

I used the edge of an old table cloth to make the lace impressions on that pinkish box with the beads hanging down that we talked about on one of the other threads. I just used the edge, cut around it and put the clay around the top of the box. I found that you loose the pattern easily but it was my first time to try it...so I'm sure there is a better way that I don't know about.

Elfs_garden, how did you make a home made press? I could use one of those. Also, there are alot of good books at the library on how to make plaster molds. You could also probably find alot of info on the internet...just type in "how to make a plaster mold".

Mold making isn't hard. That is one thing I did learn in a class. Just make your item in clay (that you want to make into a mold). It can't have deep indentions because the plaster will get into the underside and won't let loose. Keep you clay moist. When your clay mold is ready put a wood box or tin (cover the edges with 100 mile and hour tape so you won't cut yourself) around the clay mold leaving enough room around the piece so that you can pick it up easily. Use extra clay inside the box surrounding the clay mold to line/seal the bottom and sides of the wood or tin. Put vaseline on the floor of the object you have placed your mold onto (so the plaster wont stick). Also apply the vaseline to the sides of the wood or tin. Do not put the vaseline on the clay mold. Pour your plaster mix over the piece. Place a piece of hard plastic hardware cloth into the top of the plaster - push in about 1/2 inch deep (this step is optional - it is just to add strength to the mold). Let dry - and tada!

I cut boards to the length I need and screw the ends together so I can reuse the box for any mold I want to make of that size. Some people clamp their boards to the table so it won't move when you are pouring the plaster. Plaster is probably cheaper when bought at your potter's shop - if you are going to make alot of molds.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6329555

To make my clay press I re-pourposed and antique comercial wringer washing machine head. It was alot of work and I can only adjust the thickness by a few centimeters, however it is really the best thickness the way it worked out.
I had to cover the old wooden rollers with piping I scrounged up at a recycle/wrecking yard. And to keep the gap we cut pvc to force the rollers apart. It is hard to explain, but it only cost me $35.00 for the head, $6.00 for the metal pipe, the pvc was scrap I had here at the house, the wood for the table was scrap from another project and I saved hundeds of $'s not buying a comercial rolling table.

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6329573

here is a pic of it finished

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6329586

here is a pic of the gap which controls the thickness of my clay,, If I can ever find a bigger gear that will fit this I can adjust the thickness better.

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6329603

Oh I forgot to mention this too. I use heavy artist watercolor paper instead of heavy canvas to pass though the rollers I buy the really large 100 pound paper, hang it on the clothes line, give it several coats of clear spray acrylic and then cut it to fit the rollers,, clay does not stick if you remove it promptly.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 28, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6330623

Very cleaver. I have seen the wringers at garage sales and have been wondering how to do that. Now that I have seen yours I probably won't see any more for sale.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 6:49 AM
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6331506

Well if you do I can take all the measurements and make a diagram of how we did it. That is if you would like me to. The worse part of it was figureing the measurements, I wasted alot of wood.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6331515

Scadiecat, I have a problem with losing the design too! Sometimes if you put the whole thing together, then very carefully spritz water on what you are working on, then if posible support the back of the clay you want to inpress, you can inprint the lace that way. It has to be when you donot have any othe oowrk to to with it and it doesnot always work,, Lots of hassle for uncertain returns,, Especially since I always have to mess with it some,,lol

Thanks for the infor on mold making. I will give it a try
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 28, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6331672

Elfs That would be great if you could do that.

My friend that made the molds from paper used a spray cooking oil like Pam on the lace or paper to keep it from sticking to the clay. He also makes many of his molds using clay rather than plaster. He rolls the texture on the clay and bisque fires it to get a mold.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6332751

yes I have alot of molds like that too. I have made about 40 molds like that.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6334944

Just lurking here!! My Friend Holly does this lace impression bowl scupture! Her pieces are fantastic! I wish I had better photos but here is one with her Mothers crochet work under it to show off her free form bowl.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6334959

Here is Holly! She is standing next to one of her little Sculpture"Bags". These are precious!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6335513

Neat pieces---very creative! Thanks for posting, Eufala~
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6336064

Very, Very Nice!!

I have to try that sometime.
Right now I am designing garden tags for another swap. I think they will be a big hit.
shelley1962
Churubusco, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6339157

Garden tags, what a great idea! Too many good ideas...not enough time. My job is getting in the way of my hobby time :) (although I also really like my job)
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6339556

Well I do not have a job. The accident took care of that. So I have lots of time to get things done, just get tired real easy and also am still building up strengh and enduarce. Just a couple of hours wears me out real good and then have to take pain pills and naps...sigh... I am not old enough to be this way.

Here is pic of what dumb kid doing 75 miles an hour did to my car. He hit me while I was parked behind another car, waiting on him to make left hand turn. He never even touched his brakes, and shoved me 15 feet down the road under the car in front of me.

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Mazda1994
Oklahoma City, OK

March 31, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6345128

Oh my!
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

March 31, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6345576

Eufaula, is the bowl the white part in the middle of the lace? The whole thing looks beautiful, just trying to sort out the bowl for sure.

Shellydar: what is your job. I could go into the Guinness book of world records (donít know how to spell Guinness for sure) with the different jobs I have had and I can't say I have liked one of them.

Elfs_garden: when did you have your accident? What is the prognosis? Iím sorry to hear you have such a hard time because of the accident. My sister was hit from behind by a 12 wheeler truck (or something like that). He didn't even touch his breaks either. She is now a paraplegic - that was 5 years ago.
shelley1962
Churubusco, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6345692

I'm the Quality Manager for Easter Seals, ARC of Northeastern Indiana. Our agency works with people who have developmental disabilities. I don't work directly with the clients but have a lot of interaction with them - their disabilites span a huge range and every day I count my blessings. I can honestly say it is a joy to work for them.

http://neindiana.easterseals.com/site/PageServer?pagename=INNE_homepage

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6345926

Hi Scarediecat, Yes, the bowl is on top of a crocheted table cloth that was used to impress the bottom of the slab before it was sculpted into the bowl form.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6346397

Well my accident was in October. I was working at the time and since workmans comp is taking care of the bills, I have to use thier Doctors... They say I am suffering from Disability Syndrome?? What the H##k is that? My hip goes numb, I fall down,, How is that Dissability Syndrome? Anyway I am fighting them over it, in addition to a lawsuite againt the kid who hit me, and the worst part is it was not his car,, he borrowed it. So I guess they are suing the guy that loaned it to him too.
So now I have no car, no job, and a not to stable back and hip. One of the nurses said it sounds like I have some damage to my "Siatic Nerve"? I am supposed to be going to a new Doctor, I have been waiting for the appointment for 2 months now. It is agrivating to say the least. But I am not hurt as bad as your sister. I am so sorry to hear that. Make me feel bad for being so mad about my injury. At least I can walk 90% of the time.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

April 3, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6360055

Elf...hey, pain is pain is pain. At least my sister isn't in too much pain. What a major mess up for you! I'll put you in my prayer book!!

Eufaula: What a good idea...to show the lace along with the bowl. Do you have any photos of the bowl alone?

Shelleydar: Yes, I can imagine a job like that would be rewarding. I do like doing ceramics with my seniors (not that seniors have developmental disabilities) but you know what I mean. I always have liked being around the elderly...maybe I should look into working at a nursing home when I get resettled.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 5, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6365358

My son had an accident where someone went through a light. His car was wrapped around him. The ambulance driver could not believe he lived thorough the accident. Chris had leakage of urine into his body cavity and shards of glass embedded in the whole left side of his body. Including in his face and neck. No one in the ER could believe he made it. This was last summer and today you would never believe he was in an accident. Very small scars and no lasting effects. Sometimes it is hard to believe people make it through something like that. He is sure that he must do more in life since he was saved for some reason beyond his understanding.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 5, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6365395

Amen!
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6365768

Well I have really puched it to the limmit the past few days, but I almost have a greenhouse now! Here is a thread I started for it..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971370/

Zen I am so glad your son is ok. I think being over 50 is what caused me to being so slow to bounce back. Plus we are still not sure as to the long term damages yet. Getting older is not so bad,, getting damaged and older just plain sucks...

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

April 5, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6368919

Zenpotter: I can't imagine one of my sons getting hurt. It was bad enough my sister getting hurt. I didn't think I could hurt that bad - seeing her in the hospital like that. She was driving a Jeep Cherokee and it was the size of a Volkswagen after the truck hit her. I'm glad you son has no lasting "bad affects" from the accident. Like Elfs said..."getting old with pain sucks" (my paraphrase).

Elfs: did you do that all in one day? You are putting up a green house, I am taking mine down! I can't believe the realtor won't let me leave it up. I know if I had been given the choice of having a green house already on this 5 acres when I bought it I would have been thrilled.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 7, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6377232

I wish I had room for a greenhouse.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6378180

Oh no,, this has been going on for over two weeks. I cannot move that fast. I just wish...lol

It is so cold I cannot work in clay or garden today,, am sulking in my bedroom. I really have things to do and the cold is making every joint hurt. sigh.. Maybe tomarrow..

Why, oh why, would you have to take down greenhouse. That would be big selling point with me to buy!
Amfm
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 7, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6378216

Elf, I broke my neck in a swimming accident when I was 17 and have had constant pain since that day. The fracture itself wasn't too bad, a hairline break in C3 that healed in a couple months. I used to have to control my anger when someone would tell me that it wasn't so bad or at least I'm walking or something else along those lines. I know there is truth to that and as the years went by I do feel grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been. On the other hand, statements like that seemed to belittle the pain I was/am in. Chronic pain, especially when the cause is unknown, is hard. I end up feeling like the "real" me, with energy and desire, is trapped in a body that won't co-operate. I have a migraine today so I hope I'm not being offensive to you or those offering support. It is important to remember our blessings, but don't sacrifice the truth of what you are going thru to do it.

I think my mom used to dip lace in slip and then arrange it on a piece. When the piece was fired, the lace inside burned away leaving this very delicate filigree. I always loved those pieces. Pressing it into rolled clay would be really neat too.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6378263

AMFm,
No offence taken,, ?I will be mad enough after my 4th trip to Doctor on the 9th where they will probably again tell me I am suffering from "Disability Syndrome" and pat me on the head and send me home with no meds and no hope of any relief. They seem to think I am out to bilk the company I worked for out of money. My Job did not hurt me, dumb kid hurt me. Anyway, Lets talk about something more fun,

I used to own a ceramic shop and we would take chessecloth and dip it in slip and fire it, It made some of the coolest vases. I was just thinking the other day that I would like to try one again. I donot use high fire clay I buy the clay that can be fired up to cone 1 or 2 but mostly I stick to cones o4 to o18 I have more glazes I can use that way and do not have to try to mix my own colors,, not that I have not mixed a few lately, when I am running out of color I dump in whatwever is handy,lol, Believe it or not only a couple of things messed up this way and I just use them for indoor projects. I have hundered of tiles for mosaicing. I love to make tiles and hate to mosaic! I have about 10 items that have been waiting for over 2 years to be grouted. I am not very disaplined I think.

As to firing glass into clay it works much better with low fire glazes and clays, not that you cannot do it it just sometimes pops off. And that can be ugly in the kiln. You can fire the glass into or on your finished high fire clay by doing just a full fuse firing ( I think! ) I would try a small piece and maybe invert an unfinished bowl over it to contain anything that might try to fly away? Not sure if it would work, but does sound interesting. Better get more advice before trying this.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 8, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6381398

I have chronic pain as well and it is frustrating when people say "but you look fine".

I would like to try the lace and or cheese cloth dipped into glaze. That sounds like it would give some nice surfaces.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6384263

The cheese cloth or lace doesn't catch on fire when you place it on the clay piece in the kiln?

Could you explain this process?

deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6384288

I've seen this done with lace soaked with porcelain slip and attached to figurines. The lace itself burns out and leaves the porcelain. I've never actually done it, but it's a technique that's been done for many years.
Amfm
Queen Creek, AZ
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6385104

The fabric just disintegrates in the firing process. Basically, the lace is soaked in the slip and then arranged. None of the lace is exposed. It's entirely covered in slip. It can be draped or laid flat on another piece. I can't remember how hot the kiln should be, but I'm sure a supply store can help you out with that. Once fired the lace is gone, leaving only the ceramics. Think of the lace as a mold, only instead of the mold being on the outside holding the slip, it's on the inside being held by the slip. Just beware of finely detailed lace, it won't show up well.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6386343

You fire it to 04. Anything higher will burn out the whole design. Cotton lace, burlap, cheesecloth or other cotton, absorbent materials can be soaked in slip and added to pieces for interesting textures. Soak fabric in slip, squeeze out lightly, brush on leatherhard clay surface, dry slowly, and bisque. The fabric will burn out leaving the slip texture behind . One other thing you should know, untill it is glazed the pattern is extremely fragile, will crumble to dust if too much preasure is put on it. We always sprayed the glaze on after firing and right back in the kiln it went. I always sprayed 4 coats so as to get a good :framing" for the design to hold up.

I will see about getting my hands on something I can do this with and show an example. My neighbor down the street has some old molds maybe he has a vace I can get from him to use.

Here are a link I found with very different ideas on how to do this,,, they use porcelain, but you can use slip form regular ceramics,, I might have to try some of these for the garden,, some are strange and some are just downright wierd, some are just beautiful...

http://marieweichman.com/Here_and_There.html

I am off to the new Doctor today,, wish me luck as I am sure I am going to get the same "there is nothing wrong with you " treatment...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6391413

Elf's have you thought about accupuncture? I had excellent results with it several years ago (and I should follow my own advice and try to find someone again).
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 10, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6391479

Ditto. We had a friend who was in training and she used me as a practice patient. Our insurance won't cover it, or I would be using it now. It is helpful for both pain relief and help with healing.
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6392420

needles? did you say needles,,,uuuhhhhhhhhhhhh,, nooooooooooooooooooo
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 10, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6392442

LOL! You don't feel them, EG! They are as thin as a hair and hard to even see. Trust me, I would not go for torture!
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6392457

nnnnuuuuuhhhhhh,,,nnnnuuhhhh,, SCARED SILLY OF ANY NEEDLE!!!!!!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 10, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6392780

Oh, what a shame. I know what that's like - I had to stand in for my sis a few times when her kids needed medical care because she would faint at the sight of one. Not much one can do to get rid of that, though I do believe she is better at it now (40 years later!). :-)

How about acupressure? That's a nice, non-invasive alternative.

Edited to add: Actually, have you tried gentle massage on a regular basis? That can be helpful, too!

This message was edited Apr 10, 2009 2:54 PM
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 11, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6393432

A nice thing about acupressure is that you can do it yourself I use it for headaches and it works.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 2, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7328220

Hi all.
Elfs_Garden...
I brought this thread back up to ask if you still had the dimensions to making your old washer rollers into a slab roller. I have an old washer and now that I have my own potter's wheel I'd like to remodel my washer rollers. If you still have the dimensions and will share them I'd appreciate it!
Thanks

This thread is a blast from the past isn't it...brings back good memories. Where is everyone?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America