Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Choosing a Dehydrator: Make your own dried fruit, tomatoes, beef jerky, and more: American Harvester

Communities > Forums > Article: Choosing a Dehydrator: Make your own dried fruit, tomatoes, beef jerky, and more
bookmark
Forum: Article: Choosing a Dehydrator: Make your own dried fruit, tomatoes, beef jerky, and moreReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Aunt_A

March 27, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6325412

Jill,

We have an American Harvester; economical yet works. However, we don't use if very often now. It seems like so many things are ripe in the heat of summer. With this Oklahoma heat and humidity, I can't stand adding another tidbit of heat to our world and then using the AC.

Every year I promise myself I'll try again. After reading your article, I'm making the same promise now.

Thanks for a great, informative article.

April
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6325563

We've dried a lot of apples in our American Harvester dehydrator... during fall apple season, it's easier to justify running it in the house... in the summer, try it out in the garage and see how that goes.

:-)
Aunt_A

March 28, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6329167

Sounds great to me...thanks.

April
wvgardendeva
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6340199

I used an American Harvester for about 7 years. I put it in the garage or on the front porch during hot weather to keep the heat outside.

The disadvantage I found with it was the need to rotate the trays all the time, and even after rotating the trays there were certain positions on the trays where things dried faster than others, so had to pick off the already dried ones to continue drying the rest.

Mine died last summer after a lot of use. I went with an Excalibur to replace it and find that a lot more flexible. I make yogurt in it now. It did a better job of evenly drying tomatoes, peaches, etc.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6340331

I'm with you on the advantages of the Excalibur over my old American Harvester. In fairness, the newer AH units seem to have some improved features, but I'm sticking with my Excalibur now. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Choosing a Dehydrator: Make your own dried fruit, tomatoes, beef jerky, and more Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excalibur is my choice gloria125 16 Jun 22, 2009 7:14 PM
How big is your Excalibur? Bookerc1 1 Mar 27, 2009 4:30 AM
American Harvester olesagegrouse 1 Mar 30, 2009 3:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America