Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in Your neighborhood-visit with friends #15

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 171, Views: 1,032
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6326437

Thanks "M" for the reminder...

We've moved from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960149/

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6326449

Marilynne started the day with this post...moved it over to welcome everyone...Greetings from a 'cool' Thunder Bay .. however .. our ice has somewhat disappeared .. so I can handle cool.

Seems everyone has been busy .. I was going to attempt to move us over as I see we are reaching close to 1000 views .. but ..no one with dial up has mentioned a problem and I am totally NOT sure if I would do it correctly.

My Hospice client fell in her apartment and broke her hip .. geel so bad for her as she coveted her independence .. at 91 I am doubting she will be going home again .. but .. one ever knows .. as she says .. "This has certainly knocked the starch out of me" !!
Parking at our ONE regional Acute care hospital is a NIGHTMARE .. I wrote a letter to the newspaper .. there are 4 lots to park in .. NONE of which are in close proximity to the dang hospital !! I got into one yesterday, only to find out, along with SEVERAL others .. that it was full !!! How exasperating .. by the time I was able to get OUT .. I had had IT !! I ALMOST felt I was becoming claustrophobic in the lot as at least 10 vehicles were jockying to get out at the same time !!!! Do NOT know who the 'mental midget' was who designed these lots .. but .. they sure did not THINK first !!!

Out for lunch with the gurls today .. I best get outside and feed the wildlife

TGIF

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6326464

It's going to be a sunshine day here..didn't even put a jacket on..glorious gardening days can't be far away..shhhh might just rake a few over the weekend..know I'm not to do it, but, I don't always listen..

Sorry to hear about your client 'm' and yes, a broken hip at that age can be the end of it...they should have shuttle buses shouldn't they..you keep writting, perhaps someone will listen!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6327315

Found you but I'm due out the door in hALF AN HOUR. (oops) Need to get myself presentable 'cause I have to go get my picture taken.

Ann
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6329317

Our weather here in Sudbury has been more mild Betty...no new growth yet or anything but the ground is starting to get a bit muddy with all the snow melt - which is good. Oh gosh I am so sick and tired of snow...I can't wait to see some "green" happening!!!

Sorry to hear about your patient Betty...that has to be tough to watch.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6329401

Was a beautiful Spring day here. 16.5C Lots of green in my flowerbeds. I have the fever!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6329424

Pics please DonM47. We're stuck in an a perpetual ice age sigh.
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6329636

Yes Don please!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6329969

I'll see what I can do with my camera tomorrow.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6330686

Don - I also look forward to your pics.

Looks like a lovely day here today in Ottawa. Yesterday it was double digits warm and if that continues, I should have my first crocuses blooming today. There is still a patch of snow over many of them, but it's melting fast.

Yesterday, I had my picture taken. The Food Cupboard which I helped set up over 20 years ago just finished 20 years in operation and is honoring all of its volunteers, but the two of us who've been around since the beginning were directed to get our pictures taken and the will frame them in a wall of honour.

And, I got ALL of my hosta pics along with a description, moved to http://violaann.smugmug.com/gallery/7617361_bLwdx/1. Took them off my personal web site because I'm going to change ISP soon. Have been with a local provider which was bought out by Primus and over the last few years, the quality of service has gone downnhill dramatically. There are other picture galleries which I'll move when I get time, but the hostas were first because I never got the new ones in 2008 up at all.

Well, I need to get off to breakfast and then get some things done. Will need to decide which of my loaner violas I'll use for a rehearsal tomorrow evening and I need to do some basic clean-up. DGS is coming over night. My handbells ring tomorrow morning and in the afternoon I'm involved in a special service honoring a long-serving handbell director in Ottawa.

Have a great day.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6330877

Dawn, my family spend last weekend (4 days) up in Sudbury, would trailer their snowmachines about 1/2 hr to 3/4 hr. north and said the trails were absolutely to die for..didn't want to come home..can't believe they haven't gone this weekend..boys almost refuse to put their machines away until the Foxy Lady can be put in..

Think the weatherman is trying to aggravate me..said beautiful sunshine and mild temps today..I've been up since 6am waiting for it..finally going to give in, dress warmer and see what I can do outside..

Been eyeing the pond..I always empty it, clean it and refill trying to save the little fishies should they have survived the winter..it's probably a weekend job, before I get into it I must check on the garden hose to see if it's operational, think I might have gone over it with the snowblower..drats...if it's working then the pond it shall be..

If it's not working, the I'll start with the beds...I know/I know...it's a NO/NO/NO! but I'm tired of waiting so let's hope I can do the pond...

Next weekend I've a few projects and weekend after that it's 5 days vacation with 4 grandsons to Washington D.C. so that will bring me much into the safe time to rid the gardens of their leaves...

What the weather like in your neck of the woods...

Don, am sure it's a sunshine day for you...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 28, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6330885

Got my mudders and garden garb ready, sure wish you all lived closer..we could have a yard clean-up 'bee'...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6331333

Its snowing...again!
Last evening the weather guys were saying another big storm coming in starting Sat eve and continuing into Sunday morning.
So this afternoon have a sheltie rescue party scheduled - maybe 18-20 people and lots of shelties coming, now possible out of town folks would prefer to stay home than risk slippery roads! ( And I would prefer they stay home too !)
And tomorrow an informal garden group get together at my house ( The Fooly Grown Group)- if we get the huge dump predicted we will probably have to cancel but I wont concern myself about that until tomorrow!
Well I do have to get out and walk the dogs and get the car loaded with x-pens, and stuff for the party - should have done it yesterday!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 28, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6331427

Good Morning, all - so sorry I've been lax posting.
Been busy with church and work and all.
Not as busy of some of y'all, though, obviously!
This snow is getting depressing - and I hear there's another snow storm.

I'm looking forward to the 1st week of spring when I head out to Wpg for my Mom's 90th b-day.

Betty- how is your patient doing, with the fall and all? I hope she keeps her spirits up. I know my mom, in her 80's became very fearful of falling again, and she's not been the same since.

Well, I'd best get back to my sewing (cushions for the church coffee-chairs), fabric painting of church banners, and cleaning. Saturday is my only day I organize for stuff like this, and my house is a huge mess!!! LOL
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6331749

OK, here are the photos you asked for. Nothing very spectacular, but enough to get my Springtime juices flowing. ^_^

Campanula. Got some really nice plants from threegardeners last summer. They are all doing fine, Lee Anne.

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6331751

Blue Fescue

Thumbnail by DonM47

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6331756

Looking good, Don. I DO have one crocus blooming. :-)
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6331766

the early Spring lovelies, Crocus

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6331778

More...

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6331791

Daffs, etc

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6331800

These tulips are really pretty...everything is about 2-3 weeks late this year because of the nasty weather this past winter.

Red Riding Hood...love the foliage.

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6331810

All my roses are showing green and was really happy to see the Hybrid T's make it after a colder than average winter. But so excited to see a new little sprout on one of my bushes with two tiny buds. Awwww...

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6331815

Last, little Stella de Oro daylily starting to grow.

Thumbnail by DonM47

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6332016

Is anyone planning to observe Earth Hour this evening? http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/03/28/earth-hour.html
violist
Calgary
Canada

March 29, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6334088

Ann, I was playing a CPO concert and the electricity was sponsored by a company here that uses wind energy from southern Alberta. So we observed earth hour. But I have to confess that I did not turn off my grow lights.

Marilynne, I totally admire your hospice work, my mom had hospice volunteers who were actually angels I am convinced. BTW, I am pursuing the Constructive Living and am overwhelmed by the number of books on the subject, can you recommend a good one for a novice?

Carolvan, I am looking forward to the FG group so I hope we don't have to cancel due to the snow.

Les, how was your dahlia forum? I so wanted to go!

And thanks for the beautiful photos, Don, I can't believe what weather we are having here this year. And another blizzard tonight. Enough already!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #6334549

Morning, light rain today, now I had more gardens for cleaning..Mother Nature is not co-operating..

Don love the photo's..

Ann, hear you will have freezing rain/snow in your area..do be careful today...

Violist, watched weather report earlier this morning..feel for you, another blast of winter..

What a day yesterday, June called me about 7:00 and we were talking about Earth Hour..she laughed and said I'd never make 8:30 and I didn't so all lights were off...I even took a pain killer, knee throbbing and shoulder hurting..

What did I get done...

Emptied the pond..omg about 6 frogs bloated that I had to get out of there..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6334558

How is it whenever you want to take on a major project no one is around..June dropped by, I stayed working but we gabbed away..

It's so hard to believe that under all that snow, frail plants such as flax are growing..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6334562

Candytuff..now I know why it's called that..it is TUFF!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #6334565

Raked all around the pond and then tackled another garden..7 hrs outside, smilling and enjoying the sunshine, until I came in and realized this old gal shouldn't be doing so much physical work in one day...but 7 more beds to be done, am sure I'll forget the pain by the time the next sunshine day comes along..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6334571

So nice to see greenery..hard to imagine at this point how ladden with flowers this area will be in a few months..
Know I should not have taken winter blanket off these beds, but lordy, it's been a long winter and I needed to get my hands in dirt..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6334576

My pond area last year..can't even see the pond for flowers...lol..but I could hear it..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6334578

The garden I just cleared..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6334793

HELLO from the 'walking wounded' !!!
I will be SO happy when the ICE and snow is gone !!!

Had Lilly out for a walk yesterday .. just as I was entering her compound after our walk .. both feet went out from under me and POW .. I fell flat on my back :-( something in my thoracic spine (mid to upper back) snapped .. but .. as anyone who is a nurse or KNOWS a nurse .. there is NO WAY we actually go INTO a hospital unless it's to visit or work .. I seem to be doing fine .. at least I can walk with minimal discomfort and sitting is no prob .. will watch and wait.

WONDERFUL pics from you all .. I am green with envy .. we still have MOUNDS of snow to get shed of ..

Take care everyone

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6335058

Well guess what happened here last night! Yup SNOW!

Another good dump.

Had a Sheltie Rescue Party yesterday - there had been some snow overnight and some of the out of towners couldnt make it but we had 18 people and 15 dogs and a good time was had by all. Some of the group below.

This afternoon a gathering of the Fooly Grown garden group at my house. Nobody has yet suggested cancelling - we do have one out of towner who might not make it but have not heard yet.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6335082

Oh dear, Marilynne. That is NOT funny. Take care of yourself and have that back checked out if it gets any worse.

Thanks for the lovely eye candy, Betty. We all need photos like that to keep us going. Drizzly morning here. Supposed to see the sun today, but not very warm. Doubt we'll see the double digits. :(

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6335497

So far, just rain today. Will check the weather as I'm out in dress shoes. Will be out in 30 minutes to set up and practice with a double handbell group that is doing a special presentation this afternoon. My own group played this morning and did an awesome job.

Was looking forward to more crocuses blooming today, but with the rain it's deferred.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6336836

Rained heavily all day here as well..temps are dropping, I can't warm up, so off for another bath..

"M" sorry to hear you've fallen, do rest..are you sure nothing is broken?

Fancyvan, the doggie to the left of the gentleman is just like my Sailor..is he or she needing a home...did I say that?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6337254

Sorry no!

That is Brody and he lives with the couple sitting to the left of the dog and on her right is Smokey. They were part of a group of about 12 pups surrendered to us 2 years ago by a backyard breeder. There were all in terrible shape. Who would have thought they would grow up to be such gorgeous dogs - as you can see they are quite big. Smokey unfortunately has hip displasia.( I think) I think they are about 2 years old now.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6337724

All the lovely photo's of no SNOW!
Carol that is a super bevy of dogs in a group, funny how they are all looking at the food!
Hope your Fooly group gets together today... my folks in Calgary are clearing another FOOT of snow! I'm blessed in that their neighbors come and bring a big machine as the acreage has a lot of snow clearing!
Getting the Greenhouse ready to open even though it will be a week or two to do that.
Cheers to all.
Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6338036

Heavy rain here all day, but no snow and temps aren't going any lower than about 4 C in the next day or more.

Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6338455

Here's what it looked like this morning - just like two weeks ago! but the snow had pretty much stopped by 8am and it was already getting a bit slushy by mid day .Sunny almost all day.
We had a nice little Fools gathering - this afternoon, only one person couldnt make it because of an emergency plumbing issue!
Almost all the group are DG members also.
Jo brought a tray of seedlings with her and some others brought seeds to exchange . Good eats and the dogs spent most of the afternoon begging from everybody ( and not getting anything!) Foster Trouper was rather stressed at first as people started coming in ( lst time people have visited since he came to stay with me 2 weeks ago) but his sheltie food genes took over pretty quickly once the food came out!
Hope it will warm up gradually enough that we dont have more flooding!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6338491

It was a great time at Fancyvan's. Now to make room to plant my new seeds. I'm starting to run out of room and I need to transplant my tomatoes.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6339738

Guess you tired of the snow and sent me some..drats...not much just ground covered in white..I knew I shouldn't have raked..oh well, let's hope the plants survive...

Major accident on my way in, roads were extremely icing..with all the rain then freezing and covered with snow..had to take alternate exit..managed to get here on time but the girls got here 1/2 hr. late...

Brought some tracing to a teddy bear tea party table and chair set I'm doing..that ought to get me through the morning..lol

How about you all, what's your plans for today?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6339849

DOUBLE DRATS from Thunder Bay .. seems we are looking at ANOTHER snow storm (or 2) over the next couple of days .. starting Tuesday .. so .. will be sanding ice I can SEE right now before it gets RE covered.

Was out feeding the deer this morning .. went back to the garage thinking they would be trooping out from where they hide in the forest .. when I heard either a Coyote or a Wolf howling .. :-(
The deer have yet to show up .. and it saddens me as the Does are SO pregnant and running (sprinting) through the woods on ice covered snow trying to evade the wolves will be hard on them ... trying NOT to think about it ..

Carol .. the poochies are beautiful .. sounds like all had a great time both days.

Sorry to hear bout yer crummy ride in this morning Betty .. I'll taks snow over ICE anytime ..
Good luck with the tracing.

A sunny day here .. going to be +4 .. so .. must make hay while the sun shines on us ^-^
Off to get some groceries .. then perhaps bake a cake ..

~M~
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6341066

We had a luvly time at Carol's yesterday. Wonderful pics Don and Betty! I think spring was officially cancelled here sigh.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6341101

Ending up being not quite a sunshine day, rather cold but the sky is blue..that's half the battle..

Those poor deer, know it's process of nature but still feel badly for them..

Dahlianut, many of you are closeby, how wonderful that you can visit from time to time...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6341177

Don't give up Dahlia...it'll come. Sun and cloud here today too. Kinda cool. It think we are all struggling with below average temperatures.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6341425

Its not the temps Don its the snow!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6341695

Ok, I hear you. I think I'd be pretty darned depressed if we saw any of the "white stuff" again too. This year it appears March came in like a Lion and going out like one too. :(
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6342266

Oh, it's the temps too. Last night was -12ºC

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6342617

Well .. the woodstove is ablaze .. thought perhaps we could get away with NOT having it on .. WRONG!!
Post 5pm the temps dropped like a rock ..

Spent a good part of my afternoon trying to find a doggie .. our neighbours 'Shitszhu' "China" went missing .. plodded about the bush .. no results .. but .. we do have the Wolf thing happening here .. so .. I think this may NOT have a good outcome .. BUT .. we'll see and keep fingers and toes crossed ..

Awaiting the storm from the southwest .. .. have lotsa sand down so when the run off returns it may not be so icy.
I am really feeling the fall today .. and it happened on Saturday !!

Stay well all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2009
10:57 AM

Post #6344033

Takes a few days for the aches and pains to reach the mind censors "M"..maybe a day of relaxation is in order...

No snow this morning, calling for spring temps the rest of the week, several days of rain..rains is ok..

Did a walkthrough last night in the 2 gardens I raked, greenery looks as though it will survice..

Spring is here, just taking a long time for her to get her footing..Tomorrow we're into another month, won't be long..thinking of you all with snow and ice..

It's that time,
On the run, will gab with you later

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6346111

I guess March CAME in like a lion .. and OUT like one as well .. Thunder Bay is in the midst of a HUGE snowstorm .. I hasten to say likely the worst this season (meaning winter) .. we have had about 10cm so far and are expecting 15cm more by Wednesdays end .. pretty treacherous driving on the roads ..
Am everso happy I do not have to go anywhere tonight .

I am envious of your garden walkabout Betty .. but .. it must be so nice ... those days will come for Thunder Bay ..

I find it almost miraculous that the solar lights left in the perennial garden .. have weathered the winter and are puttung on quite a show in the evening and early morning ..

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6346706

OMG "M" can't believe you are having a blizzard..although the wind is up the sun was beautiful all day! Sometimes when you know you can stay inside watching a storm from within is actually soothing or is that just me...it certainly has been a long winter..how's your client doing "M"? Have you started any of you seeds yet..too early I would think...

Today I decided to spend the time getting what projects I promised done so that when I can spend all my time outside I'll not mind..

I love painting, doing the finer things in a project but not fond of basecoating...that's what I was up to part of the day, still another day of basecoating then the fun will start..I'm so hoping to get this project out of the way before I go away, only leaves me a week ..

Can't you just see a little girl playing 'tea' with the table and chair set I'm doing...

Guess I should have a bath, vacuum upstairs and see how much energy I have..maybe I might find something intersting to keep me busy tonight..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6346711

All together I need between upstairs and downstairs a total of 7 doors...thanks to Mike I have less to pick up..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6346746

Quickly sharing some pics .. what a MESS out there !!!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6346753

My good ol OLD car .. Lolla is safely ensconced in the garage ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6346761

One more .. a pic looking east ,, windsock blowing ..
The hoses were out to wash cars last week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 1, 2009
9:19 AM

Post #6348605

OMG stay safe...sure do hope it's not headig this way...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
10:44 AM

Post #6348672

As opposed to me writing what has happened here .. I copied and pasted an article from our local paper this morning .
TBay is SOCKED in and it is still coming :-(
Snowblowers are running and shovels are blazing ..

~M~

Enough already
By BRYAN MEADOWS
Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Email this article
Send a Letter to the Editor
Printer friendly page

Skies will be a clear blue today in the Thunder Bay area with temperatures hovering around 20 C . . .
Like a bad April Fool‘s Day joke, that‘s not what Thunder Bay-area residents will wake up to today.
What they will see is the result of an irritating spring blizzard which was expected to dump of more than 30 centimetres of snow overnight.
“Just look out the window,” Environment Canada forecastor Geoff Coulson said during a Tuesday afternoon interview.
“There‘s about a half-kilmetre of visilibity at the airport; the wind is blowing about 50 km/h; and you can expect more of the same overnight,” Coulson said.
Heavy snow was also expected along Lake Superior‘s northwest shore.
“You‘ll be getting snow across Northwestern Ontario but,” he said, “the heaviest amounts will be along the lake.”
Environment Canada issued a snowfall warning Tuesday for the western edge of Lake Superior from Kakabeka Falls to Dorion as a slow moving low pressure system over southern Minnesota continued to push moisture into the region.
Snowfall could reach as much as 30 cm in the area overnight, especially if a stationary snow band persists over Thunder Bay or slightly southward along the Superior shoreline. The snow may also be very wet and heavy as temperatures will hover around the freezing mark or slightly above 0 C at times, says Environment Canada‘s website: www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings.
Several flights to and from Thunder Bay International Airport were cancelled or delayed Tuesday as winds off Lake Superior whipped up the snow and restricted visibility on runways.
Coulson said temperatures in the city will “creep” above 0 C this morning with wet flurries persisting throughout the day.
It will be at least Saturday before Thunder Bay residents get a break from the clouds and return to more normal temperatures – low - 8 C and high 8 C.
But Coulson said spring seekers shouldn‘t be fooled by Saturday‘s above normal temperatures.
As the next work week begins, he said, daytime highs won‘t get much above freezing and the longer term forecast isn‘t much better.
Forecasting models to mid-April show cooler than normal conditions, Coulson said.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6349304

That must be the storm we had Sat night! A bit more snow last night too. Hoping that is the end of it - supposed to be a nice weekend which is a good thing as it is the 2 day Hort Society Garden show.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6349508

Gonna bore you with just a couple more pics .. it's still snowing/raining ..

First pic is of the birds who are jumping about in herds trying to get at the seeds that they KNOW were on the GROUND 2 days ago !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6349520

This pic is from our patio to our garage .. if I had taken this pic 2 days ago .. you would have seen a smidge of a snowbank and an expanse of glare ice heading to the garage ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6349536

LAST ONE ... I walked down the patio to look south across the property and noticed we have a HUGE overhang on the west side of the roof .. as well as some dandy drifts !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 1, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6350492

Have to tell you "M" sure is pretty...

Stopped raining, bit of blue sky..
Cathy who I think has adopted me as a 'mom' dropped in yesterday with her mom, took Sailor for a walk and also raked almost the entire back yard...what a girl..

If the wind has died down think I just might put the leaves in the burning pit and have me a fire...maybe I should go buy some marshmallows...

Spend all day basecoating my project..something wasn't quite right..here the artist painting the design and when she did the tracing she transposed it..now making it more difficult to follow shading and highlighting..am sure it will be just as pretty, brain doesn't compute these changes..lol

Other than that, boring day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6350608

Well .. we are now MELTING .. hard to keep up I can tell ya .. it's 47F right noe .. still a few flurries passing through off and on .. but they are more like a rain shower.

That huge overhang of snow in the pic above fell off about an hour ago .. scared the devil outta me .. KATHUNK .. right down on top of my Silver Mounds (which I was ALMOST able to see last week)

Boring day here as well Betty .. good luck with your painting :-)

~M~
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6350645

Boring day here as well. Gray skies, rain and about 7*C. A day for a good book. At least we don't have the winds we've been having.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6351348

Sunny and melting here!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 2, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6354420

High of 13 here, calling for torrential rains tomorrow and part of Saturday..best I find something inside to keep me busy..

Just hoping that Washington D.C. has high temps and no rain for next weekend..

Playing with my project that I'm doing (class tonight) but think I'm 'sc#$ing it up royally..going to put it aside..

Maybe I should just sit and relax...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6354865

Beautiful, warm and sunny here today. Heavy rain tomorrow. I have some crocuses blooming. Probably just as well that most aren't as they'd get beaten down in the rain.

I have my viola back. It looks wonderful and sounds good too. Am wondering whether my insurance will cover any part of the cost (about $300 - I've emailed the company).

Bummer about the rain tomorrow. DGTwins have their combined birthday party with a magician and 10 friends each.

Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6355177

Another nice day here, lots of melt I expect.

You know I have this 13 year old foster sheltie, Trouper with me. Because of his age it will be a difficult adopt so I expect he will be here a long time. So I have 3 senior, half deaf dogs in my house!

Yesterday a friend who also has shelties stopped by to visit and fell in love with him but she is not in a position to adopt. This morning she called to tell me she would donate the equivalent of his adoption fee to our rescue and pay for his license renewal when it comes up!

There are angels!

Here is Trouper. 2 weeks ago he had 16 teeth pulled and a cyst removed from his side. Stitches out this afternoon. I think he is feeling much better - I am even getting tail wags!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 2, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6355680

He's adorable...you are a kind sould to take on such an overwhelming task as 'rescue' my sister does in for American Eskimo dogs...easily adopted when they are young but at 13 not many would take on such a responsibility..about the same age as my border collie 'Sailor' she's really showing her age as well..not looking forward at what is to happen..

And yes, quite a few earthly angels out there!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6355829

I think everyone on the Canadian Site here at DG is an angel :-)

Carol .. I would SO like to be able to foster or take rescues .. but .. unfortunately .. with Lilly and pusser Smokey .. I think it would be tantamount to having a nuclear bomb go off in the house LoL
You truly are a very special person and I applaud you and your other rescue colleagues ...

I am a titch 'sheepish' today .. I was shopping for groceries .. was meandering down an aisle .. I heard a 'Hello there' .. it was my docs wife .. she is on the Board for Hospice and we are friendly .. she had been watching me and noticed I was having a bit of trouble bending over .. I told her about my fall .. and the fact that I had not been seen .. she flipped her cell out .. called her hubby .. and he saw me in 30 minutes .. and ... I have 2 cracked ribs :-( BUMMER .. nothing really to do about it .. time will heal it .. but .. I will be having a bone density study done .. makes me kind of uneasy as I have taken Calcium with Vit D for years .. almost said no .. but felt I owed him the courtesy of being a 'good patient'.

We are slowly melting .. still have MOUNTAINS of snow .. but nice mild temps ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6356528

Ouch Marilyn! 2 cracked ribs?!?! Couldn't you at least put a brace (ie: large tensor bandage) around your chest?
I remember years back when I cracked just 1 rib - painful just to breathe, so I don't know how you're doing it with 2!!
Please baby yourself, and take care! (Please?!?!)

-Susan-

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6358259

Yes Susan .. I am being as careful as possible .. back in the day .. they would, at times, 'tape' the area the offending ribs were located in .. just for stability. But mine aren't fractured right through .. just cracked. Last night was a bad night .. but I saw it through. Today I am in Court supporting a victim who has to testify .. so .. nothing strenuous will go on there. I'll tell ya what is worst of all !!! SNEEZING !! Lawsie .. when I feel a sneeze coming on I panic !!

Have yet to meander outside .. but I think it's mild ou there .. :-)

TGIF

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6358678

Marilynne - take care. I hope the pain subsides quickly.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6358868

Hope your pain eases soon, Marilynne. Yikes, sneezes would hurt alright. Take care and remember that Bone Density Scans are a good thing.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6359083

I have to have a bone density scan every two years - a pre-requisate for one of the osteroporosis drugs I take.

No big deal!
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6359536

~M~ keep a pillow handy so you can hold your pillow against those ribs to help then stop from flexing with the sneeze.

I hope Spring shows up soon for all.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6359668

Oh my goodness "M" sorry to hear about your ribs, best take advantage of the bad weather and rest up and heal..you tell that Doc's wife we're all appreative that she got you in so quickly, nice to have connections in the right place, these days a doc's office is the right place...

Dreary day today, pouring rain (still better than snow)..no outside work this weekend so I'll just find myself something to do..I'm always able to do that...they are saying that for 3 or 4 more days we could have not only rain but combination of wet snow..won't stay long...

Talk about adopting pets, Cathy (younger neighborhood lady) has adopted me I think..I did 2 1/2 gardens (raking) she's raked in the last 3 days the entire yard..what a sweetheart..only 2 side areas and the front and ALL DONE! Can sure see some green coming up just with leaves off the beds I did on Saturday...

Aline's husband Tom is fabricating a door for washroom closet, when I purchase the run down house lol it had no door, best I could do was to put one of those plastic accordian folding doors..he managed to do the door frame yesterday and with luck he'll bring the door..not a problem if the door isn't here today, more things I can do, but IF it is, I'll do a placement for a faux cupboard design on it...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6359916

Been out today - aquafit breakfast. Then by the FC to work some more on the list of people we are trying to find to invite to the 20 yr AGM. Came home and there's a message from the Dr. (new rheumotologist) I saw last week saying that they want me to do some more blood work. Too late to phone them back today; so I get to wonder all weekend.

Fancy - which osteo drug are you on? Bone density scans are a piece of cake compared to some tests.

Ann
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6359944

Just realized the petunia bug bit me...and there are more in the house under lights. CRAZY!

Just got in from helping the Rose Society set up at the Garden Show. It very exciting to see all the displays & booths being put together.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6360659

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and get wells .. I seem to doing OK .. have learned what 'moves' cause me pain ..
I have had patients on Fossamax and Actonel .. once a month i believe ..

Not too worried about the bone density studies .. once had a bone scan .. noisy procedure that !!!

PETUNIAS !!!!!!! Oh my .. will we ever see them bloomig and beautiful? Fingers crossed for sure.

Good luck with your weekend projects Betty .. mine will revolve around WILLING the snow to MELT ..

Off to SUPERVISE supper :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6362840

Wow look at your gardening...you are very successful with your inside gardens...I've a zillion seeds but starting earlier inside never seems to work for me...no patience I guess...

"M" do hope you are feeling better...

Thinks you've all sent the storm my way..

If you look closely in the photo you just might see the picture frame, lighthouse at the pond and a few birdhouses...not a great day..

Lots of indoor projects though, just got back from Home Depot and I'm set to go..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6363382

Whoosh BANG :-)

Was on the road and off to Zellers for some 'bargains' before 8:15am .. got to the store at 8:40am .. and .. dang me .. it doesn;t open until NINE !!!

Ahhh well .. had brought Lilly with me .. so we just chatted .. she always LOVES my conversations especially when they revolve around what a good girl she is yadda yadda LoL AND .. she agrees with EVRYTHING I say !!!

Bought a couple of baby outfits for my best friends grandsons baby shower tomorrow .. LAWSIE .. am glad I am not dressing a newborn in 2009 !!! It'd be 'VV Fashions' for me !! And .. I know I am dating myself here .. whatever happened to 'courduroy jodhpurs' ? Murray wore those while he crawled (that lasted a week) .. and once he was upright and became a delirious and dangerous toddler .. those lil jodhpurs saved his wee knees from scratches and abrasions.

Kind of a dull day here with splatters of sun off and on ..

Crummy stuff your way Betty .. hope your projects keep you busy and happy :-)

The ribs are behaving as long as I do too !!!! ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 11:49 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6363472

Take care of those Ribs M.

Garden show this weekend - working the membership booth this afternoon and tomorrow at the Lougheed House booth - in costume!

Still cool and cloudy this morning but supposed to warm up and be really nice tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6363840

Hiya ev1 - busy day again for us - company coming for dinner, and doing a lot of spring cleaning in prep.
I finally joined the Calg Hort Society (I know... it's taken me a whole year to get around to it!!) because I saw an ad for it in the Garden Show flyer.
Would love to go, but likely won't have time - may see if I can go tomorrow aft between Church & Bowling lol
how can you tell spring is here? All the winter activities wind up, and there's a breather between them, and the heat of summer (which lasts for about 3 weeks in Calgary LOL).
I think it's irises that are poking their shoots up in the garden (protected south side) and I can hardly wait to clear the leaves away once the weather warms up, to stay!
A datura I got my boss has a huge bud on it, and will try to get a nice pic of it next week, when it blooms :-)

-Susan-

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6364428

Susan .. My Iris are under at LEAST 3' of snow at this moment .. last week I KNEW where they were at least .. gotta luv nature ..

Today was a cupboard cleaning day (dry goods) .. I am hoping Ann does NOT read this .. I threw out enough packaged stuff to feed a small third world country I am SURE !!! How in heavens name do I accumulate this stuff !!??
OH .. WAIT .. it's called SALES .. I pick up items .. 'on sale' .. say 3 for $5.00 .. use one of the items .. and the others get shifted back in the pantry .. over the enusing months I may use the other 2 .. or perhaps 1 .. but .. over time .. well .. it becomes ANOTHER 'loneliest item in the pantry' !! Finally .. the pantry and adjoining cupboards become the 'Hodge Podge from Hel* !!
And so .. the catharsis begins .. so many boxed items outdated .. did we have OUTDATED stuff back in the 70's - 80's ? I think not and I am still here. But .. the fear Public Health officials have instilled in us is unreal !!! So .. my 'give away box .. was minimal .. and my 'CROW/RAVEN' box was burgeoning .. they will be sufficiently suffoncifide and regaled with Nature Bars circa 2007 .. Triscuit cracker circa 2008 (Jan of) .. Shreddies ... akkkkkkkkkk .. the list goes on and on .. and it made me take stock and really THINK .. so .. buying here is going to change .. I almost feel immoral !!

True to course though .. my bud Jo called .. listened to me moan about my problems .. and then let out the BIGGEST HOOT when I mentioned I couldn't find 'JODHPURS' for her grandson Kingston .. she hadn't heard the term in YEARS .. I think this has been a day .. and it isn't even OVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

PS .. am onto a NEW home reno project .. waiting on estimates for Interior painting of living room, entrance area and hallways .. I MUST be losin it .. OR .. I have spring fever !!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6364637

You have spring fever "M"..being in the house is also making you 'antsy'..been there! OMG aren't we all alike when it comes to food..I too am embarassed at the amount of food I throw away..now, I pretty well just buy what I need on a day to day basis..

Jeff (youngest son) was here not long ago, offered me $$$$, said no food in the refrigerator and he was worried I was short of cash..imagine...nope, just not wasting anymore, if I get real hungry, restaurant is just a few doors away...lucky me..

Tallulah, look forward to seeing your Iris..lots poking their heads out but goodness knows what the snow this morning will have done to them...

Quite a day, went to Home Depot in a blizzard, bought the wood I needed for the panels for my project..came home and did the prep work..

Someone at the door...eldest son Greg bringing me daffodils, since his died died of cancer never a year goes by he doesn't buy me daffodils...lovely visit with him, getting things org. for my trip to Washington D.C. Thursday with 4 grandsons...oh oh...

Just started to get back into things, Cathy (friend) arrived with a pkg of daffodils...hmmm...had a visit..
Not an hours later in comes my friend Ann, she and hubby are at the cottage this weekend..brought me wood, books (over 60) pattern packets etc. and a beautiful easter plant..so between the plants I got last week and today, my house at least is looking 'spring' like...

Snow is already gone, got mild, bit of rain, now temps are dropping..

Been up extra early today so won't be a late night...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6371706

Morning, blizzard in my neck of the woods, schools closed, bus not operating...can this be spring...sure hope it improves, leaving Thurs. for Washington D.C.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6371744

Dont know what it is going to do today but we had a melting weekend and the lake at my back gate is back again! I tried hard to keep all the snow clear from the back gate patio this winter but two late dumps of snow filled in the spot in front of the garbage and I could not get it clear - then solid ice - finally melting. I 've beem going out every morning, cracking and clearing off the ice in the hopes there would be less to melt!

Past weekend was the Hort. Soceity Garden show - held this year for first time out at Spruce Meadows.I worked in the membership booth on Saturday and froze as they have to keep the doors open because so many people coming in, Yesterday I worked in costume at the Lougheed House Booth plus helped out a bit at the Peony booth across from us.Great crowds in fact sometimes too many people - need to tweak that a bit next year. Albertarosey (Jane) brought me a tray of Foxglove seedlings which I have to get potted up today.

I finally spent my Xmas gift ## from my brother - 2 Garden Twists ( variation of a obelisk ), one silver wind spinner, and this interesting plaque!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 7:23 AM

This message was edited Apr 6, 2009 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6372007

LOL, love that sign, Carol. Definitely good advice.

We have been enjoying gorgeous weather for the past couple days. Today's high is 20C. Black Bart Columbine is peaking out from under the mulch. There's no going back now...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6372216

Your were busy girl..hope you don't end up with a cold..

Can hardly see outside..Paul's leaving the office, not feeling the best, told us to leave at 3:00pm..put a sign, closed due to weather conditions..nice treat..calling for more the same tomorrow...yikes..though the plow man was finished so did he I bet...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6372518

Well I just got over a really bad cold so hope it does not start up again - or maybe I am immune for a while?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6373085

Let's hope you are imune..it's beautiful outside, very pretty, just the driving and having snow the 2nd week of april if discouraging..but you've all bee n there...

"M" you feeling any better, taking it easy?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6373648

Hiya :-)

MY GOSH Betty .. watching the weather channel and seeing the beastly weather down your way ... please take care ..
WE are status quo .. bunches of sunshine .. BUT .. WINDY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! And north west winds keep the temps down and makes the snow stay kinda static :-(

Carol .. colds of this millenium are a curious thing ... they go away .. then pop back for a wee visit .. hopefully the visit will end quickly ..
AND .. please be careful on that ice !!!!!!!!! My ribs are feeling better .. but good grief .. the nano second it took for it the slip to occur was unreal !!!!
Your sign is a JEM :-) Well said as well ..

Went to my best friends grandson's baby shower last evening .. lovely .. just about 20 or 25 women there .. I got to hold Kingston for about 40 minutes !!! He's just nearing 3 weeks old .. NEVER heard a peep from him .. he slept and made those OH so sweet 'baby sleepin faces' ...
The gifts were appreciated .. so much clothing .. hope he gets to wear it all !!!!!

Have a VCARS meeting tonight .. best get a mosey on ..

^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 7, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6377202

Much the same here this morning "M" roads are even more treacherous as last night we had slush, then froze, then snow and blowing today..took my time coming in, almost didn't make it out of the driveway..think my plowman's contract ended April 1st. so tonight getting out the snowblower will be a must..drats..

I looked into the pond this morning and could see ice forming all around the spray unit, only dribbles so unplugged it so motor wouldn't die, not so sure it won't freeze though.

Do you ever feel as though you are having a ' feeling' about something and work yourself up..my tummy has had butterflies for the past few days..thinking about having the entire next generation (4 grandsons) with me for 5 days and what if I was in an accident...then Noah fell sick and I'm thinking what a decision I'd have to make, leaving one behind, let's hope he's feeling better by Thurs...

Then this morning DIL Melanie called me to ask if it ever occured to me that something might happen to me and what would the boys do down there on their own, sooo going to make a plan just incase...

All these things...then of course the weather..suppose to stop snowing by Thurs.

Oh well..guess we all worry when we're about to take on an adventure right? please say yes...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6377335

Yes...I am sure everything will work out fine, Betty. Children are so resilient; I'd bet the Farm that Noah will be feeling better by Thursday. We all experience those "jitters" sometimes, but you really have to be a positive thinker and just like the Grassroots song, "Live for Today", simply let life unfold: "We'll take the most from living, have pleasure while we can. Don't worry and enjoy the time with your Grandkids.

So sorry your weather continues to be nasty. Everyone should experience Spring in April. We have been blessed in Southern BC with gorgeous weather over the past several days. Yesterday 20C and similar temps expected for today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 7, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6377566

OMG what I wouldn't give for that weather..I'm sure we'll get it, perhaps not until May/June though...it's wicked out there right now..you go enjoy sitting on a lawnchair, looking at the flowers forme will you please Don...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6378550

Jeepers creepers Betty .. MORE inclement weather is just NOT fair !!! Fingers crossed it moves along !!

I only have 2 grands .. but .. when they were 4 and 7 we took them camping .. in a boat .. tenting on islands on one of our huge inland lakes .. the week before we left i started having a NEW snack every few hours .. TUMS.. !! Like your DIL .. mine was of the same curiosity .. what if something were to happen to either one of the adults ? Well .. we had a family meeting .. (as some of you know .. my DIL and myself do NOT get along) .. but .. since she WANTED the time alone with no children, she was ready to work with us .. the kids were drilled re life vests, staying in sight of us at all times, First Aid kits were gone over .. AND .. we were fortunate enough to have had the use of a Satellite phone ..
We did the excursion .. it was not without incident as we spent half of one day and overnite tucked away in the tent in a vicious thunder storm .. but .. all in all .. we all survived and the kids still speak of the trip .. that was 4 years ago.
Children can be quite resourceful .. as long as they know the rules prior to going, and have a plan insitu should 'something' occur .. I think you'll be fine :-)
BTW .. I can't even LOOK at a Tums tablet anymore !!!
I'm with Don , 'Live for today' and "Carpe Diem' ^_^

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6378643

I guess those kids need 'dog tags'!

Another nice sunny melting day here, some of my beds are clear of snow and I know there are lots of things turning green ( or else asickly yellow) under the leaves and brances but i dont want to clear things just yet.

I started working on a couple of new beds last fall, one is totally new - was grass - and the plan is to have it mostly a hosta bed. Today I finally got moving and have ordered 15 hostas with promises of another 5 or so from a couple of DG friends. Most are mini/small with a couple medium. I guess the minis will probably have to go into a container - I ordered all the Mouse Ears I could find! Blue, Green, Frosty, Holy, Country and Cat and Mouse! Thought they would be neat!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6379464

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just had Lilly out for a walk .. AND .. I saw TWO Robins !!!!!!!!!!!! I am in Springeaven ^_^

Carol .. my Hosta last year were just sort of an experiment .. but they did well .. Love the sound of 'Mouse Ears' :-)
I am seeing more and more Hosta beds around the city in FULL SUN !! I always thought that that was a BIG No No for Hosta???

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6379568

Marilyn there are some hostas that can take lots of sun - just have to look for them!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6380131

Some hostas can take LOTS of sun, but the vast majority prefer to have morning sun only or filtered shade.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6381908

Last year I took a large hosta I had purchased, put it in a floating container and had it in the pond..lordy it grew twice the size..might try it once again..

Has stopped snowing although the roads are covered in ice .. I'm hoping that by tonight much has melted...my plowman came yesterday after all so I didn't have to venture out with the snowblower, really should have done the walkways but though, 'self, if you leave it for 2 more days it surely will melt'...lol

Got my bag packed, travel insurance and money exchanged (boy did that hurt) so tomorrow not much to do other than put in a long day..

Kyle called me last night to gab..so cute, here are these youngsters telling me they'll leave their $$ in the bank, bring their bank card and do their transactions that way..in our day, would we have had that capability to do financing..know I wouldn't have...

Few more groceries to buy for Cathy who will look after the animals..there are about 3 home cooked meals in freezer, picked up fresh fruit etc. soooo all's well this way..

checked the map out and saw if I take a slight detour could take the boys to Hersheytown and also Gettysberg..will pack as much into those 5 days as I possibly can..that way it will keep them out of mischief..they are good boys, not worried about that part of it..

"M" nice when children remember their trips with you isn't it...I take them once a year..this christmas I'll paint them each a photo album and do some scrapbooking so they will have the memories...

I'm excited..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6381986

It was so warm and sunny yesterday my back gate lake dried up! Yeah!

Lots of bulbs poking up now, some crocuses ( ? croci?) bloomed yesterday.

Finally! Course we could still have more snow but probably would not stick around long.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 8:05 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6382094

Don't you say those bad words..surely it's all over and now you get to watch those bulbs opening...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6382256

Betty - as you've found out, hostas DO like lots of moisture. I have one growing very happily in the line of the downspout from my roof.

Gotta get moving. I'm late to get to the Food cupboard.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6382688

WIshing you all the very best on your 'Adventure' Betty .. I am thinking only positive thoughts and I KNOW you will make LOTS of memories. Godspeed
The camping trip we took with the grands, was Austins introduction to 'I SPY' .. can't tell you how difficult THAT game is in a TENT !!!

Carol .. envious of your 'croci' :-) walked Lilly passed the snow covered mound my Irises are in and I think they are still covered with at least 3' of snow ... BUT .. day 3 of BIG WIND here .. and it's doing an incredibly effective job of evaporating the snow.

Hospice meeting tonight .. and .. I have just learned my client is in another facility now .. will visit with her tomorrow.

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6383038

You are not doing too much are you "M"?

I'm sure we'll be fine..

Spent the day doing a schedule as to try and fit as much as we can in..

When Kyle called last night he said that aft. a holocaust survivor visited with his class..said it was so interesting but sad, Jeff said that Braedon also studied it in class, the other 2 well guess they will study it on Sunday..

Checked to see the hours..yes, entrance to the museum is free, but, you need a pass to see the exhibit..went on line, and was able to get 5 ticket passes..free but you have to pay admn. fee..printed them off..we'll visit on Sat. at 2:30...omg read some more and this is what it said...

At the holocaust museum DC, visitors travel aboard a cargo train, like the victims did, whilst listening to an audio montage of survivors' stories. Exhibits track the rise of the Nazi machine and, in a more positive display, the heroic efforts of others in Europe to save Jews from being caught up in the destruction. When you enter, you will be issued an identity card of an actual victim of the Holocaust; at several points in the tour, you can find out the location and status of person on your card -- by 1945, 66% of those whose lives are documented on these cards were dead.

Think we'll all come out of that exhibit with a different appreciation for freedom...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6383392

I was at the Holocaust Museum many years ago Dont miss it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2009
6:28 AM

Post #6385403

A Holocaust Museum sounds gruesome, but very neccessary to keep the memory alive of what happened to those poor people! Despicable!!

Well, had our last handbell practice tonight, will play them @ service on Sunday.
Maundy Thursday tomorrow, but 1st have our vocal practice LOL
Friday is Good Friday service of course - and we have 3 churches joining use for a massed choir!
Then it's Easter Sunday for our handbell service, with a vocal choir as well. My hubby is joining the church :-)

I'm going to miss directing the handbell choir however, a church in the neighbourhood has said they will lend us their 3-octave set of bells. Our choir wants to wait until the fall, then play them @ Christmas. They want to play in the community too. We'll have to see what they say when the time comes. We only have 5 members (5 had to leave either because of health, or other committments).
Sure can't play 3 octaves with 5, but can do it with 2 octaves lol
The choir had me playing one of the bells, while facing them. Feels strange to think of playing with my back to the congregation.

Well, the Datura I was growing in my boss' office finally bloomed!
Here's a picture :-)

Susan

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6385939

The weather this week has been awesome. Our cat was being silly & climbed my Russian Olive tree.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6385941

We did have to help him down

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6386282

awwwwwww silly cat!
He looks a little unhappy :-)
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6386433

Oh not at all. He was in his glory.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6386553

I have a kitty that would enjoy that too, Joanne. =^..^=

Our temps here in southern BC continue to be wonderful. In the low 20's all week, even though there is a system that is threatening from the Southwest.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6386602

Popping in to say "good morning". I've still got a few minutes before afternoon.

Was out to early aquafit and then for an allergy injection. Into a grocery store for a few items - hope to avoid the crowds on Saturday and now home. It's mostly overcast, but trying to be sunny at times. Might get outside this afternoon and cut down a few things in the garden though it's chilly to really garden.

We will be here for the Easter weekend. A community church service tomorrow morning and in the late afternoon we'll continue celebrating the birthday of DGTwins who were 7 yesterday with an early dinner, DGS's hockey game and some birthday cake. They'll join us for Easter dinner on Sunday.

I hope you all have a great weekend and if you are travelling, safe journey.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6387632

JEEZE LOUISE Joanne .. your cat looks as big as a COUGAR in that last pic !!! And don't 'they' just love it when they know they've been up to 'something' ^_^
Smokey came strutting in yesterday like NOTHING had happened while he was out .. only thing was .. he had a BIRD FEATHER on his left ear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BELL time !!!

I guess Betty is 'Tally Ho' with the kidlets .. I am so hoping they will enjoy themselves .. am wondering if the Cherry Blossoms might be out in Washington ? Too early ?? My Mum was there sometime in the 60s for some kind of a function .. the group she was with paused to have pics taken under the Cherry trees .. my Mum found out in short order that she had an allergy to either the blossoms or the pollen ... she was ill enough to be hospitalized .. back in the day they'd hospitalize ya if you had a sneeze LoL ...

For the first year ever .. I am cooking Prime Rib instead of a turkey or a ham on Easter Sunday .. gonna be kind of strange ..
Not sure how many will be here .. never am .. I just cook lots and then compalin about all the leftovers !!

Day 4 of the BIG wind .. went to see my Hospice client and felt a mess as by the time I had gone across the parking lot and into the hospital .. I may as well have not spent minute ONE on my hair !!!
Her son is in visiting from Texas .. such a nice family this little lady has .. but, sadly, all away from TBay .. he was so surprised to see how much she has changed(declined) .. if he does stay til Monday I may invite him for Sunday dinner ..

Susan .. that Datura is gorgeous ... reminds me of a Morning Glory .. are they hard to grow ?

Stay well all .. off to make a Spanakopita ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6387760

Sorry can't stay to gab...do wish you all an enjoyable Easter..if Kyle brings his laptop I might just get on to say 'hello'

Hope Easter has sunshine for you all...
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6387840

M,

My cat is Smokey too. He's not a very big cat, just big attitude. This morning he went out for a bit & when DH went to get the paper, Smokey came barreling in like a bullet. Apparently the "killer" bunny that was in the front yard and had frightened him. This is the same cat that took down 2 magpies that were double his size.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6388227

Watch those Daturas, Marilynne. Very toxic to pets...I sound like a broken record don' t I ?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6388660

Yes, Daturas are toxic (hence the name Datura Inoxia!) so you don't want them near pets (but people grow pointsettias and they're very toxic too...).

They're not hard to grow at all (self seed, and don't plant 'em - I got 40 of 'em last year from one seed pod by just sprinking them around the ground).
They grow wild in arid parts of the States (texas, etc) and become a bush there.
Mine grow 3 1/2 ft tall in a season, but die with the cold. They don't like too hot for too long cuz they droop & pick up again come evening. Last year we had 30c+ and they drooped alot. Shank of the evening and they perked up again.
It's pretty dry in Calgary, so I water them a fair bit - more than you'd think, seeing as how they are perennials in the dry state of Texas, but maybe that's because they're perennials and their root system is very deep. As an annual I wouldn't expect it would be.
You can plant it in a pot outside, and bring it in to overwinter. I've seen very big plants where people have done that. Grow to 6 ft tall, and about 2 1/2 ft wide.
Mine were very prolific bloomers a couple of years ago.
Here's a collage of one of last year's plants - Datura Ballerina Metel

Susan

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6388666

and here's a Black Current Swirl Datura Metel

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6388682

and the first Daturas I ever grew - I was very successful with this plant! My neighbours were asking me if I were going to plant it again ! :-) This is a very difficult one to find in a plant (available in seeds - start growing 'em now, inside), and very expensive - I saw them costing $35!!
Datura Inoxia (only comes in white)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6388937

Our Smokey's nickname last year was "BUNNY BELLY" .. need I say more .. we have NO Magpies , but , he is not a great fan of the WHOOSH of the Raven's wings as they fly overhead ..

I had heard 'Datura' is a drug ? Illegal of course .. still and all it's a beauteous plant ..

18 deer for dinner tonight .. am SO ripped the camera is STILL copping an attitude .. pics with the cellphone camera just do NOT cut it !! May be looking at either a card upgrade ... OR .. a new camera !!

One more Lilly stroll (it's still light here) .. then bedtime .. VCARS shift tomorrow ..

~M~
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6390001

Dat's are lovely indeed. Have grown them in the past too, before the "incident". Won't have Poinsettias inside either. We are fortunate enough to be in Arizona at Christmas time and I can set them on a table outside the Patio
Window.

If any pet owners are interested, here is a link to 17 common poisonous plants. Some might surprise you...

www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/17-common-poisonous-plants.html

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6390407

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1831491325801&source=jl999

^_^

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6391126

Just had Lilly out in her compound .. she was HELPING me hang clothes out ... LoL

2 pics .. hopefully by Monday those snowbanks will be GONE !!!!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6391135

Last one ...

These are taken with my cell phone .. ergo .. kinda dark :-(

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6391597

cute doggy
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6392060

There are still some snowbanks around the edges of the yard and ,inexplicably , the dogs always want to go pee and poop on the snow! Which is of course on the flower beds!
Should be all gone by the weekend

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6392296

Wow Don - quite the array of poisonous plants, and most of them I wouldn't have thought about... but they didn't mention Pointsettias. I suppose because it's so commonly known that they're poisonous.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Yes, Datura has been used as an illegal drug, one which can cause coma & death in humans as well as pets. We have a few feral cats in the neighbourhood, but otherwise, people either keep their pets indoors, or on a leash when walking them.
We have very responsible pet owners in the area, and quite a few senior pets (to go along with the senior owners! lol)

Susan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6392693

LoL .. Carol ... Lilly is light enough to get UP on those banks .. and we are VERY fussy about 'poo pickin' .. so .. I have had to devise a 'poo gatherer' for when she does her duty well into the middle of the bank ..

I wonder if the Datura would affect deer and bear ? I would imagine it would. Think I'll just be happy looking at picks of yours :-)

Have the submersible pump running again outside to try a run off the water from the melt down .. it's going fast now ..
Got some yard raking done .. can't say as my ribs liked that too much, but, I did ..

Off to make a culinary miracle ...

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6393376

I didn't grow Datura until last year - making sure my DGTwins were old enough not to eat stuff. This year I've started some yellow Datura seeds which I got from Vesey's. Last year I had some lovely lavender ones I got through DG and some white ones from seeds I pinched the previous fall. But with our cool and rainy summer last year, I didn't get any seeds off last year's plants.

Ann
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6394143

I still have snow here in Sudbury...however we are suppose to get a week of sun...hoping it will be gone in the next few days...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6395634

Happy Easter everyone .. here's a card for you .. from me ^_^

~M~

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1831491325801...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6396092

Marilynne - thanks for the card - but I'm getting an error message - [quote]Problem displaying card

We're really sorry, but there seems to have been a problem displaying the e-card which you requested. The reason for this is:
The e-card code you requested is incorrect. If you typed the card address into your browser, please check the code at the end of the address.[/quote]

It's another lovely, but chilly day here in Ottawa. We did a bunch of errands today after blowing the motor on my relatively new (when you figure my daughter is still using the one I bought in 1975) Electrolux. Had to borrow from a neighbour to finish vacuuming and I guess the rest of the house will wait until I get it back with a new motor. $$$$

Hope you all have a great day and Happy Easter if I don't get back.

Ann

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 4:00 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6396251

Ann .. your vacuum and my new dishwasher should meet LoL ... I am not happy with the dishwasher .. and my 18 year old one is clicking right along at my friends sons home .. !!!

Lets try the card again .. hope it works ^_^

~M~

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1840150345801&source=jl999

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6396409

The card works well now. Thank you. Here are some spring flowers for you.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6396413

And a few more

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6396810

VERY pretty, Ann ^_^

Wishing everyone a Very...

Thumbnail by DonM47

DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

April 12, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6397319

Such beautiful flowers Viola! Spring has sprung!

Today was beautiful and sunny but a bit on the cool side. I still got to putter around outside for a while though. The sunshine just feels so good!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6399207

Happy Easter everyone!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6399334

Here's an upper for you. Happy Easter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6399416

Very cool, Ann ^_^

Thumbnail by DonM47

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6399418

Loks like another nice day here. All kinds of little things popping up and blooming - some Iris reticulata yesterday.

This morning when I stepped out to get paper noticed a large yellow lab loose down the street. Didnt recognize him. 2 hours later, walking Trouper , guy across street with his pup and there is the laab again. Got hold of collar, no city tag, tage with dog name and number. Guy phones, no answer. I take dog home, call city - no by law officers on today, told to take dog to nearest 24 hr clinic. ( one not to far away) Call number again ( something I dont normally do - let them pay the fines) guy answers, lives way aways from me, friend looking after dog, calls friend, friend calls me. Turns out he is just across the street! Assures me the gates were closed but he was certainly big enough to jump the fence- tried it at my place too before I put a line on him.. So I was very annoyed with him and told him I saved his friend 350.00 in fines and he better get the dog licensed soon!
He walked out with the dog and left my gate wide open!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6399501

Hello all ..

A GLORIOUS day here .. BUT .. we still have a significant wind .. luckily we can sit in the sun with the house as a buffer.

Carol .. how frustrating re the gate .. nevermind the WHOLE scenario with the lab ..you were kind to take him and go the extra mile.

Lots budding and blooming here .. and the snow it melting away at a great rate .. WOOO HOOO ..

Enjoy

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6399608

Marilyn I probably pick up a couple dogs a year roaming loose. I generally bring them home and call animal control to pick up even if I know the dog - figure maybe paying the fines might make you a bit less careless with your dog!

This message was edited Apr 12, 2009 6:08 PM
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6401215

I'm with you Carol. I think it's far too dangerous for loose puppys in Calgary. Pet owners need to be cognizant of Crazy drivers; not to mention exposure in the winter. I phoned in a dog that was left outside 24/7 with no shelter a couple of winters ago. I have no guilt.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6403300

I guess not. You did that dog a great service. Where are these people's brains????

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6404802

I am a 'Dog Catcher' .. being facetious here .. I mean .. if I see a FRIENDLY dog, off leash and running out this way .. I will call him in .. if there are tags, BONUS, if not .. the police come get'em (in the evening ) or the By-Law officer in the daytime .. and the dog is taken into town until the owner comes to get it ($75.00)
Running at large here in the country is a HUGE no no !!! So much can happen to an animal .

Watched CBC news this morning .. there were over 30,000 people at the Easter Egg Roll on the White House Lawn today .. Betty was there .. she must have been in quite a gridlock if she was driving !!! Driving in Washington is HAIR RAISING at the best of times.
As well .. I was disheartened to see and hear that the Obamas were gifted with a Portuguese (sp) water dog by Sen. Ted Kennedy .. I had heard that they were seriously considering a Westie as one of the Obama girls has some allergy problems.
The puppy, Bo, is quite cute .. kind of a weird lil tail on him though :-)

First cloudy day in a while here .. may be rain on the way ..

Take care

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6404900

I like Porties - a number of agility people here have them. I think they are low shedders also so should be OK for somebody with allergies.

Oh I meant to do an Easter Egg Roll with the dogs this morning. A friend on Sheltie Mania started it - give each dog an egg , in the shell, raw,and see what they do with it. Outside of course!

It was very busy at Lougheed House yesterday, I think I toured about 20 people all together - on my feet for about 3 hours. A bit confusing because people kept being added on and sometimes I had to ask who had seen which part of the house to know who was finished and who was not. I dont like doing it that way - gets me out of sequence!

Cloudy and a bit cooler and very windy today but I still managed to get a couple of big bags of leaves raked off the flower beds. Lots of things popping up underneath - I have a lot of bulbs and spring flowering perennials.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6405014

Don't rake up all your ladybugs Carol. Mine aren't all awake yet so I left the leaves in piles. They are starting to move so hopefully I can bag this coming weekend.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6405232

I leave the bags open so they can get out! I have seen quite a few crawling around already.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6406261

Hi folks,

Haven't been here for awhile. Just spent some time on Google Maps and Google Earth mapping out directions from here to West Baden Springs for a trip with our vintage Porsche in September. I think we'll take three days to do the drive each way although we'll detour by some friends on the way home. The car is 44 years old; so we also don't want to overload it.

Did I tell you that we heard a wonderful viola recital on Saturday evening? A grad student at the University of Ottawa and she was playing the wonderful viola that I played for 20 years and gifted to the University when I got a smaller one a few years ago. Wonderful to hear it being played so well. That instrument will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Picked up my vacuum cleaner which died on Saturday. That was a quick fix. I guess a new motor and a complete clean-up made it look and act like a new machine. I hadn't expected to have it back so soon though.

Also made the appointment to replace the turbo in my 1997 Audi. Car is still in great condition; so we decided to put the $$$$ into it. I like it a lot and hope to keep it running a few more years. I'm NOT the type that helps out the new car industry very much.

Hope you salvage all your lady bugs. I haven't really been out in the garden except to look at the crocuses. They will likely be pretty well done by tomorrow and I plan to dig an move a few clumps of them that are getting crowded. That's how I end up with a real blanket of them.

Love the little purple flowers above. What are they?

Have a good evening.

Ann

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6406805

Thats a Hepatica Ann - usually the first perennial to bloom around here - I have another in full bloom and the ones in the shadier spots are just starting to bud.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6408440

Oh my! It is white outside this morning!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6408698

Uh oh...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6409682

DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're in the sun again with a temp of +11C .. little breezy .. but .. I am deriving a GREAT amount of pleasure from watching the snow melt .. hmmmmmmmm .. wonder if that's in the same class as watching bread go stale LoL

Did the pedicure thing today .. AWESOME !!! Totally painless and the young woman who did it was just an incredible young lady .. just starting out in her new business .. in fact .. I was her 30th client in a week of being open.

Must go and have a wee 'boo' at our weather forecast to see if that 'white stuff' is headed this a way !!!!

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6409758

Another .. !! DAWG !!! Having a case of 'mental pause' here .. actually .. since I have NEVER looked up a plant on DG site .. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Had a bud just call me for info on 'Caladium' .. she things it looks a lot like Coleus, but apparently it isn't .. how do I go about doing a search for a specific plant on DG when I only just know it's 'common name' and not all the other stuff that goes along with it (ie .. species, genus, family ) ..

Thanks a bunch

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6409787

Caladium

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/search.php?forum=&search_text=Caladium&limit=pdb&search_area=subject&limit_poster=&Search=Search
\
hope that works.

You can just type Caladium into Search and then limit the search to Plant files - lots of stuff.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6410390

OH MY Carol .. thanks SO much !!!!

GREAT info ..

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6410600

Well the snow didnt last more than the morning - it was near rain I think but it has been cold and windy all day! Not nice!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6411625

ditto for here too.
It's now 8 pm and the Sun has come out to go down!
GH is maintaining a 40 degree temp with our - 3 last night so I'm ok so far and keeping my fingers crossed.
Happy Spring in the prairies everyone.
Ann
violist
Calgary
Canada

April 15, 2009
6:55 AM

Post #6412461

I just returned from an amazing trip to the Carribean to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary! Oh my goodness, the plants that grow like weeds in Saint Lucia!!!!! It made me think twice about all the hoops I jump through to get my annuals and tropicals to work here in Calgary...

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009 8:58 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6414594

Hello to all, back home safely, the boys were fantastic to travel with, up at 6am ready to roll after breakfast and not back to hotel until around 10pm..not much we didn't see...don't know who tired who out..lol

I was fretting remember should something happen..just got home, Noah decided to go biking had an accident, 2 sprained wrists, concusion, fractured elbow..guess accidents happen at home and not just away from home..thank goodness it didn't happen while travelling...

Cathy who watched the animals for me ended up raking the entire side and front of property as well as the 2 ditches out front, cut all the grapevine..omg she worked so very hard...do I have burning to do..

Tired today, managed to go out this morning and purchase commercial linoleum (looks like oak flooring) for craft room, new 3 piece window for dining room with $$$ I had left from the trip..lol...can't go to waste can it...

Beautiful weather here..calling for 15 to 17 for the next 3 days..let's hope it stays for the weekend...

glad you all enjoyed your Easter...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6415810

WELCOME HOME BETTY ^_^

So sorry to hear about Noah's 'oopsie' .. but happy to hear all went well while you were in the US of A ..

I see you're busy already .. glad to have you back ..

~M~

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6416176

violist...wow a trip and for a 30 anniversary!!
Tropical temps need to come here for us too, just say it till it happens!
Betty glad you made it all the way back home too.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6419391

Hope you are all having the weather we are...could almost be wearing shorts (if I could wear shorts) lol

Yes, didn`t take me long to get back into the swing of things..don`t know how I get myself into things but I do..

Suzanne is having new furniture delivered on Sat. and has prep. her room, painted, old rug taken out, furniture in the dump and now needs new click flooring put down, as I did their other rooms guess who is spending this evening and tomorrow evening laying flooring..then I`ll have help next weekend to do the craft room flooring so must get the room painted and organized, no rest for the wicked..today I`m here, staying quiet, painting on that child table and chair set, making some headway, thought I`d have finished the bear but nope, bit of a headache so will wait until tomorrow...

Time to take excedrin migraine...

Are you out in your gardens, getting that early start to tanning...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6419494

You betcha ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6419876

Moving us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/976168/

Don it must be in the low 60`s today..more to come tomorrow..exciting isn`t it..each day after work I walk the gardens to see what is popping it`s little head..not a flower as yet, maybe this weekend after all this sunshine...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America