Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: Need some ideas for deck railing

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 9, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thelittleflower
Penfield, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6327753

We are building decks on the front and back of our house. I am looking for a way to save money on the railing. Can anyone come up with some creative ideas? I have thought of using cable run horizontally, but I am not sure if that will save much money and I really don't like the look of horizontal lines. I am looking for something different and unusual AND CHEAP. Any ideas?
Lulie
Northeast, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6328928

I don't know if it would be cheap... but I have seen railing made from used Amish buggy wheels. It has sort of a scalloped effect.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 7:11 PM
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6329031

if you have the right kind/color of cable it sorta blends into the baclground and soon you dont even see it its not as bad as you think it would be. Friends of mine used it Their deck over looked a river and it was great.. made the deck seem bigger because you didnt have the solid mass of wood blocking your view.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6329071

You do want to keep in mind the city codes..
They differ so much from city to city.
Here it is 36" to the top,With max opening 4".
Depends on height off ground if you even need a railing
FYI Hope this helps

Tubby
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6330988

I'm in the same boat. We have a large deck with a very high side...and a very low side. We can easily step off of the one end. We live on an extreme slope. Anyhow... the cable fencing blkraven2 mentions looks sharp. We have an ocean view and I don't want it blocked in any way. So...we are going to put in posts...and string up the cable.

I know the codes allow for some deck height (without ANY railing), but I worked in ER for several years and you'd be surprised how totally SCREWED UP someone can get from backing off / stepping off / falling off of a deck that's only 10"-15" high.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6332284

considering how much it hurts when I mis-step on a simple stair, I CAN imagine how much it would hurt coming off a deck!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6332625

I wonder if you could reuse the sliding glass doors that I see at the re-use-it shops. I have admired one that has plexiglass in the panels instead of sticks.
You really need to find out what your zoning laws have to say about this-I Live so far out in the tulies that we don't have any at all.
nanaka
Webster, WI

March 29, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6333809

I saw a really neat railing made out of rerod for the upright pieces and the top and bottom rail was 2x4.
I guess you would drill holes in the 2x4's to fit the rerod in.
I would send a pic but, it's in a town about 30 miles away. I always thought it would be a neat idea for a deck.
thelittleflower
Penfield, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6333852

Keep the ideas coming. Sliding glass doors would be nice, but the distance between the
4 x 4's is too small. As far as the cable and rebar, good ideas, but not sure it would save me any money. Really trying to think of something recycled to use. As far as codes, I live in the country on 50 acres, not too worried about codes.
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6352816

While I do like the "non-view-blocking" perks of tempered glass, or Plexiglas... it is so brutal on the birds I won't use it. I have a friend that has a Plexiglas wind break on her deck and it brings me to TEARS when I see how many hummingbirds get killed flying into the stuff every summer. I've begged her to create a white lattice look (with white tape) on the Plexiglas, but she never gets around to it. I may buy the tape and just take it up and make it an afternoon project with her. She FEEDS the hummers... so I know she cares about them.

Poor little things...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America