Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mid-South Gardening: Wisterias In The Gardens

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 252
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6328815

As I recall, Wisterias usually don't bloom until much later most year. Am I forgetful? Let's see Wisterias from your regions.

This is Japanese Wisteria that belongs to my neighbor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6328838

Usually I thought they bloom much later than the dogwoods, here they're blooming together. Redbuds too bloom the same time as dogwoods this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6328848

Another neighbor's Japanese Wisteria.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6328865

Here is one that's trained over a trelis in the neighborhood. To the right is a Saucer Magnolia that's still showing late blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

rah127
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6330695

the combination of the dogwood, redbud and wisteria is beautiful!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6332436

Kim, that is a gorgeous display of blooms. And you know I think a lot of things are blooming early this year. Maybe it just seems that way because the last 2-3 years have been so unusual in one way or another, but I think you're right about the wisteria. Here in North 'Bama they don't bloom for another month or 2...I'm thinking early June. Our dogwood are really beginning to pop now that we have had this rain lately & the redbuds are about at their peak. And my Encore azaleas have been blooming for over a week. Some of the others haven't come into full bloom yet though.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6333381

Elaine, some of the Azaleas begun to pop open here too. I think rain and warmth stimulated premature blooms on certain flowers. Crepe Myrtle begun to send out leave buds, so I hope that means we're done with frost for the year, maybe?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6334897

Well, I declare...I'll have to retract what I said. We drove into town last evening for dinner and lo and behold I saw TWO blooming wisterias!! I'm just amazed still at the early (I think) blooming.
Kim, I sure hope we're done with the threat of frost. I'm anxious to get some things in the ground, but right now it's too wet too!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #6348478

Kim this is my white wisteria. the rains have ruined the blooms.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #6348480

My purple

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
6:20 AM

Post #6348481

another view

Thumbnail by Riverland

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6349078

Even with rain-bitten, the white Wisteria is lovely, Cindy thanks for sharing the pix. How old is your white W.? I've planted two (I think), they haven't sent out flowers in years.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6349937

It has been in the ground 2 years and has bloomed both years. It was a nearly dead at Lowes.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6349961

It's funny, of all these years, I've not seen white Wisterias blooming in the woods, along the roadways. But this spring I found them! Once I spotted them, then I saw more of them along the highways among others blues blooming Wisterias b/w here and Ft. Payne Al. (North of us).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9051318

Hi everyone, we've an exceptionally short, mild winter. Once again, the wisterias in the garden, as well as in the wild are in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9051430

Mine popped pretty early and I am sure these rains are going to put and end to their beauty

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9051464

Those turned out very nice Cindy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9051919

Love the wisteria!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9069141

the pictures are beautiful!! I wish i had some to offer of my wisterias, I think amythist falls wisteria is blooming up now but the blooms are still tiny not fully opened. and my regular purple ones never bloom, perhaps its cause I have to keep them pruned during the year so they don't take over the yard.

I have a pink one that is 4 years old and no blooms I haven't pruned it in 2 years, stil no bloomes, and I have another named variety out back and it's about 3 years but small danny pruned it and I know it wion't bloom this year, maybe next year. I keep hanging on to the fact that i'll get blooms soon, but nothing yet, it must be in the pruning, although some i don't touch and they still don't do well.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9069146

Hi Charlotte and Kathy Ann. The total amount of sun per day the wisterias are getting may be a contributing factor for the blooms? See that arbor, I've one planted on each side. The west facing vine bloom up a storm this year, whereas the east facing vine hasn't bloomed in years. So there. Kathy, I've an Amythis Falls that's forming buds now too. Our climate does ring true. Spring arrived way too early this year.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9069225

Hi, Lily. Your wisterias are gorgeous! Good to see you posting!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9069403

Yes Kim I think the sun is the major thing wisteria needs to bloom! I've given up on having any in my yard - just too much shade. I'll just have to drive around and admire what's growing around town. We do have some beautiful wisteria here!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9070221

Thanks Elaine for the welcome back. Charlotte, same here, what I've retained all are in containers. I made my share of mistake with wisterias in the garden. I'm still trying to rid of the ones I planted in the ground -- for many years. We live and learn.
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9073879

Just beautiful Kim!!! I bet the fragrance is like burning a candle in your yard with everything that is blooming!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America