Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: Coffee grounds on staghorn?

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 7, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6331927

Brinda posted this link on the coleus forum and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use the coffee grounds on staghorn ferns and to spray the fronds with "coffee tea". I've been having a scale problem with my staghorns. So far I've just cleaned them off with alcohol on a rag. If no one knows if this is safe or not, I will just have to experiment with a small portion of the fern.

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf
chiquitina
Rio Piedras,San juan
United States
(Zone 11)

April 1, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6350815

Have you tried soap water ?
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6393448

Did you read that coffee article ? It's fascinating, even thought the guy who wrote it is incorrect when he says that espresso coffee has more caffeine in it. Most people assume because of the strong taste it must have more caffeine, but it doesn't. It has less caffeine than any other coffee except for decaff. I am going to get some coffee grounds and try them on the very next plant I find with mealy bug on it. I'm going to try saving tea leaves too, and see if they make a difference. I've been using horticultural oil and it works, but for things like staghorn fern, it strips off the natural coating on the leaves. Just wiping the leaves can remove that fuzzy stuff. Doesn't seem to harm the leaves, but it's a permanent change in how they look. But pouring coffee water on them shouldn't change anything, and it should also be fairly simple to place a layer of grounds in the pot, unless the fern is mounted on bark or something. Many thanks for posting that pdf. about coffee grounds.. I am definitely going to experiment with that. Not only is going to be MUCH cheaper than alcohol or oil, it's also non toxic and potentially free !!
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6393460

Forgot to say, but I'd be amazed if coffee water did any harm at all to the staghorn fern. They are pretty tough plants, compared to many others. I know alcohol won't hurt them and alcohol is pretty harsh stuff. I'm pretty sure coffee water wouldn't hurt them at all. It's not nearly acidic enough to do any harm, and so long as it's not actually hot when you spray it on, I can't see how it could hurt.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6397821

Thanks for your input and encouragement on this phfurballs. I've been so busy I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but maybe next week. I thought the article was quiet interesting too.
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6401523

Keep us posted if you do try it. I'd love to hear how it turns out !
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

July 27, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6871514

Greetings ...

I have been using coffee grounds for several years on my cycads (revoluta, circinalis) - as well as my staghorns. I haven't had any scale or mealy bugs since I've been using it. I let the grounds dry for a day or two - and then I throw them all over the target plant. I don't use any liquid as I have found the grounds to be very adequate. I apply the grounds on a regular basis, ie: every third day to one week, depending on how many grounds I have on hand. It really works very reliably!

John
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6979118

Thanks for your input. I need to do another inspection, been a while.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America